New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Forge of Fury IC

Tarak

The hobgoblin awakens feeling refreshed and invigorated by the fresh morning air. As Suga spills out his story of another vision, Tarak nods his head, "You asked me last night what I thought about that ax granting you visions. While I kept watch, I also did some quick reading." He fishes in his backpack and pulls out a rather worn, leather bound tome, the same one everyone has seen him consult when trying to identify magical items. He thumps the book, "Intelligent or sentient magic items are extremely rare but I've read of a few, indeed that ax doesn't seem to communicate to you directly so that's not it.....BUT, when I was reading I came across a passage that described how certain items, commonly weapons or armor, are created with a purpose. Think of it as a mission they seek to fulfill. If I had to hazard a guess, that's what you've got there, a weapon that was created to hunt and kill undead, the more powerful the undead, the more powerful the need of that weapon to seek it out and destroy it."

Pulling out some rations, he begins to chew as he unhobbles Kong, "Unless I miss my guess, the closer we get to this 'misty valley' and undead abomination, the more frequent and powerful the visions will manifest."

He straps the gear carefully to the donkey's back, then nods to the group, "On to Knurl and from there we head South? Celesta, you'll love Knurl, full of entertainment, attractions, everything you could possible wish to purchase and as widely diverse a population as you've likely ever seen."

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Firbolg in the Playground

"A smart axe? Huh. Too bad it can't just talk. We'd get there faster. Did you hear that, axe?"

He pauses, and continues with not response from the axe. "On to Knurl. Celesta, never been to a town even? Even as a slave I'd been to towns."

Suga gathers up his gear and is ready to head out.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #1083

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain View Post
    Tarak

The hobgoblin awakens feeling refreshed and invigorated by the fresh morning air. As Suga spills out his story of another vision, Tarak nods his head, "You asked me last night what I thought about that ax granting you visions. While I kept watch, I also did some quick reading." He fishes in his backpack and pulls out a rather worn, leather bound tome, the same one everyone has seen him consult when trying to identify magical items. He thumps the book, "Intelligent or sentient magic items are extremely rare but I've read of a few, indeed that ax doesn't seem to communicate to you directly so that's not it.....BUT, when I was reading I came across a passage that described how certain items, commonly weapons or armor, are created with a purpose. Think of it as a mission they seek to fulfill. If I had to hazard a guess, that's what you've got there, a weapon that was created to hunt and kill undead, the more powerful the undead, the more powerful the need of that weapon to seek it out and destroy it."

Pulling out some rations, he begins to chew as he unhobbles Kong, "Unless I miss my guess, the closer we get to this 'misty valley' and undead abomination, the more frequent and powerful the visions will manifest."
    "Huh, that's one weird axe", Celesta comments, "But undead are not bad enemies to fight, I wouldn't mind."

He straps the gear carefully to the donkey's back, then nods to the group, "On to Knurl and from there we head South? Celesta, you'll love Knurl, full of entertainment, attractions, everything you could possible wish to purchase and as widely diverse a population as you've likely ever seen."
    The barbarian grins. "Sounds like fun! They make good mead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    "A smart axe? Huh. Too bad it can't just talk. We'd get there faster. Did you hear that, axe?"

He pauses, and continues with not response from the axe. "On to Knurl. Celesta, never been to a town even? Even as a slave I'd been to towns."

Suga gathers up his gear and is ready to head out.
    "The biggest clan I ever stayed with had 30 tents. They did some trading with farmers, but never got too close to anything bigger. Wanted to keep to themselves I guess. When I travelled south I came through the mountains, not many towns there." She shrugs and jumps to another topic. "You were a slave? Hard to believe. I heard town folk had them sometimes, I thought slaves were weak people."
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #1084

"Weak? Not in the fighting pits. The weak there didn't last long."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

With the campfire extinguished, Kong's pack lashed tightly, and everyone geared up the group sets off to Knurl. The conversation was lively as the group made their way down through the Flinty Hills and to the rivers edge, Suga regaling them all with tales of the fighting pits. Having seen his large orcish friend in the pitch of battle, the hobgoblin grimaces at the thought of having to square off against him in the ring....his opponents likely hadn't stood a chance.

Following the river through the course of the morning and early afternoon, they reach the city in good time and good spirits.

At the gates, Tarak tells the city guard, "Adventurers bound for Expedition Street."

6. - Top - End - #1086

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    "Weak? Not in the fighting pits. The weak there didn't last long."
    "Fighting pits? Tell me more!", Celesta sounds excited by the idea, likely not having exactly right idea of what a slave fighting pits are.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

As Celesta and Suga discuss the finer points of pit-fighting, Tarak leads the way through the winding streets of Knurl and down to Expedition Street. Though still relatively new to Knurl, Feagon and Suga had been here before and knew their way around, so the hobgoblin pulled Celesta aside and pointed out how the shops with the better reputations were nearer the central locations, "Some of these other stores and shops simply haven't been around long enough to be completely trustworthy. Make no mistake, you might find incredible deals in some of them, and the prices will be a bit higher at the more established places, but you'll know for certain that what you're getting is quality."

Moving further down the bustling street, Tarak's earlier comment about the diversity of Knurl became more evident. People of all manners and types were present and while there were likely some hooded glares or private prejudices, the interactions and transactions were, as usual, purely polite and professional. Folks here knew better than to make assumptions, and almost no one was looking for a fight but rather gainful employ.

Tarak stops in the middle of the busy market place and points out some of the finer outfitting shops of Expedition Street, "Need a shave and a bath? Alley Barber. Looking for leather goods? The Crying Cow. Need to get fitted for new duds? Clothes Minded. Looking for potions and medicines? What Ales You. Trying on some new armor? The Ironclad Promise. Need a mount or beast of burden? Carry On. How about weaponry? Crushers-n-Cleavers Cutlery Shoppe. Perhaps melee isn't your game, then head on over to The Straighten Arrow. If you're simply looking for a general outfitter, Thistle Do Nicely over there is run by a kindly old goblin named Thistle. Maybe high end magical items are what you're lookin' for? Abra-Ca-Stab-Ya. Maps, tomes, spellbooks and the like? Doodle Bugs'."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2018-12-30 at 11:14 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1088

"Well then, Tarak, how about you take us to the best places to lighten Kong's load and add to the weight of our pouches? My share goes to Feagon. Those dwarves didn't have much of interest to an elf."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Nearly all the pack items were armor and arms, so liquidating the loot was a fairly quick process. The workers at both The Ironclad Promise and Crushers-n-Cleavers were impressed with the dwarven crafted items but somewhat reluctant to part with coin, instead attempting to convince the party members to take the trade-in value for upgrades. Eventually, however, they exited both shops with their purses a bit heavier. The gold and ruby necklace they pawned at Thistle Do Nicely, Thistle himself handled the transaction, and was his usual cheery self.

Spoiler: Kish
    Show
    Not sure what the value of the necklace is. Without including the necklace we've got 1,635 gps in party treasury.

By middle of the afternoon, with their business concluded Tarak leads the group away from Expedition Street, through some residential neighborhoods and toward South Gate. Here there were numerous inns and taverns. Pointing toward a number of the city watch patrolling the street, Tarak speaks to Celesta, "All the travelling merchants stay near South Gate, and it's probably one of the safest and well-patrolled neighborhoods in Knurl. Best to stay in one of these inns whenever you're in town."

Returning to The Warm Oak Tavern, that the others were familiar with, they secured lodging and a meal. Around a mouthful of ham and ale the hobgoblin says, "I'll be back shortly, I'm going to return to the chapel of Boccob that we visited last time we were here and see if I can find any information about Suga's 'misty valley' to the south."

Show
    Anything the scholars there might know? Do I need to make any rolls?
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2018-12-31 at 02:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Colossus in the Playground

The necklace you looted from the dwarf spellcaster proves to be worth 900 gold.

The priests have no knowledge of any misty valleys anywhere nearby to the south, or valleys at all. One of them suggests looking at an atlas.

Examining an atlas, Suga finds he's drawn to a particular spot in the Iron Hills, across the Great Kingdom, three weeks of travel overland away. No valley is marked there; indeed, that spot on the map has very little information at all.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Titan in the Playground

As they gather around as a group and have their meal, Feagon thinks on what has been brought up.
    "Well I would appreciate a fair share, I think we have a long road ahead of us. Keeping us up and fighting while we hunt down this mystery, to me, is more important than a fancy breastplate or sword. Of course, can't do this forever, so at the end of the day, a fair share to help me retire to the forests and commune with Ehlonna would be greatly appreciated, but we don't have to worry about that today."

12. - Top - End - #1092

Suga thinks Feagon is trying to pass on a bigger share. "Yes, a big share for you to keep us up and fighting. Whatever you fancy."

Suga is intrigued by the feeling with the atlas. He had seen a book like this back at the school but hadn't studied it. "That's next then? Weeks? We should get horses? I'm not very good at taking care of them."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Studying the the map, the hobgoblin traces his finger along a winding blue line, "I know very little about trade routes to the south, but perhaps we can find someone who moves goods up and down the Harp River and book passage with them. Might save us some time..."

He casts a look at his elven friend, "I'm in agreement with Suga. We've a fair bit of coin Feagon, and you're welcome to my share as well."

Tarak fishes in his backpack and pulls out a rather substantial, leather-bond tome, "I'll confess that my visit to the clerics of Boccob was two-fold. Unfortunately I found out nothing about our mysterious destination, but in the future I may be afforded greater access to their libraries. I joined an order that is dedicated to recording and preserving knowledge." He flips open the book, revealing strange script and full pages illustrations of the flowing forms of the order of Carmedine monks. "In exchange for this book and access, I am to record any discoveries made in our adventures. Do not worry my friends, my loyalties remain here with those seated at this table."

Show
    River passage possible?

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Titan in the Playground

"Alright, alright. Let's see what I can find in this burg before we leave. Bow and armor taken care of but some scrolls and wands might be helpful. Anything else you guys might might think would be handy?"

15. - Top - End - #1095

Griffon

Tarak

As Celesta and Suga discuss the finer points of pit-fighting, Tarak leads the way through the winding streets of Knurl and down to Expedition Street. Though still relatively new to Knurl, Feagon and Suga had been here before and knew their way around, so the hobgoblin pulled Celesta aside and pointed out how the shops with the better reputations were nearer the central locations, "Some of these other stores and shops simply haven't been around long enough to be completely trustworthy. Make no mistake, you might find incredible deals in some of them, and the prices will be a bit higher at the more established places, but you'll know for certain that what you're getting is quality."

Moving further down the bustling street, Tarak's earlier comment about the diversity of Knurl became more evident. People of all manners and types were present and while there were likely some hooded glares or private prejudices, the interactions and transactions were, as usual, purely polite and professional. Folks here knew better than to make assumptions, and almost no one was looking for a fight but rather gainful employ.

Tarak stops in the middle of the busy market place and points out some of the finer outfitting shops of Expedition Street, "Need a shave and a bath? Alley Barber. Looking for leather goods? The Crying Cow. Need to get fitted for new duds? Clothes Minded. Looking for potions and medicines? What Ales You. Trying on some new armor? The Ironclad Promise. Need a mount or beast of burden? Carry On. How about weaponry? Crushers-n-Cleavers Cutlery Shoppe. Perhaps melee isn't your game, then head on over to The Straighten Arrow. If you're simply looking for a general outfitter, Thistle Do Nicely over there is run by a kindly old goblin named Thistle. Maybe high end magical items are what you're lookin' for? Abra-Ca-Stab-Ya. Maps, tomes, spellbooks and the like? Doodle Bugs'."
    Celesta is simply amazed by the hustle and bustle of the city, and its many many citizens. "That's... that's something alright. I mean I knew that town-folk like to gather to one on place, but wow. How do they feed everyone?"

Tarak

Studying the the map, the hobgoblin traces his finger along a winding blue line, "I know very little about trade routes to the south, but perhaps we can find someone who moves goods up and down the Harp River and book passage with them. Might save us some time..."

He casts a look at his elven friend, "I'm in agreement with Suga. We've a fair bit of coin Feagon, and you're welcome to my share as well."
    "Yeah, yeah. You can keep the shiny gold", Celesta agrees. I mean, it bought ale and food, but otherwise what was it really worth?

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    "Alright, alright. Let's see what I can find in this burg before we leave. Bow and armor taken care of but some scrolls and wands might be helpful. Anything else you guys might might think would be handy?"
    "We need to make sure our travel gear is in good shape. And what's the land like? If it's rich then we can get food on the way, though I suppose we could travel faster if we just bought some."
    Last edited by CWater; 2019-01-01 at 03:11 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

During the course of the evening, Tarak gets very, very drunk but the next morning awakens bright and cheery. Heading back to Expedition Street, the group visits Doodle-Bug's Magical Manuscripts and picks up some scrolls, then onto Carry On to purchase some steady mounts for their journey.

Spoiler: Scrolls?
    Show
    razorback, I don't know what exactly you're looking for, but a scroll or two of Revivfy might do nicely, although they're a bit pricey. Panacea can make for a nice scroll as well because of it's nearly all-encompassing nature.
    We can also pick out some mounts and total up the cost in the OC.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2019-01-08 at 06:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1097

Griffon

Celesta is intrigued by the many different varieties of alcohol that the tavern offers, before eventually finding a bed to crash in for the night (or a corner if she fails to locate the former). Thanks to her constitution, she does not actually feel particularly worse for wear come morning, and excitedly follows the group around Knurl as they complete their preparations for the journey to come and again wonders at the many curiosities of the city.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

As they move through the town, Feagon find somewhere to help him spend the coin his companions so generously offered him, looking to help keep them alive and moving forward.

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, work crazy today. I'll post up in the morning with scrolls and what not he is buying.

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin is pleased to lead the group from shop to shop looking for possibly helpful items. At one point a very young hobgoblin urchin runs up to him and tugs on his loose fitting tunic. Tarak bends down as the youngster leans in and whispers something in his ear. With a knowing nod, he straightens, reaches into his coin purse and hands the lad a gold coin, "Stay away from Shaymin, he'll be nothing but trouble for you. If he wants to see me, he can come see me himself."

Turning to the others, "Come on let's head over to Carry On and see about getting some quality mounts for our journey."

20. - Top - End - #1100

Griffon

Celesta looks questioningly at Tarak. "Mounts? Will we be riding? Never tried that before, but it looks like fun! Townfolk usually ride horses, right? But they're nervous creatures, easily scared."

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

Turning to Celesta, "Yeah, about that. This city-slicker never had much need to ride a horse either...suspect I'll make a damned fool out myself. I'll probably stick to plodding along on Kong's back. He's strong and steady, if a bit slow and short."

22. - Top - End - #1102

"I've only ridden a little. Don't know about caring for them. Learn from the seller? Feagon, you know horses?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

"Alas, very little. I have never been comfortable riding them... I have always felt that my own feet could carry me nearly as fast and further than they... though more tired at the end, I suppose."

24. - Top - End - #1104

Griffon

Celesta laughs heartily. "So should we just walk then? I don't mind that, been walking my whole life!"

25. - Top - End - #1105

"Walk or pay someone a few gold to travel with us and take care of the horses. Someone aspiring to get out of town to explore."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps there is someone itching to leave, eh? Not a bad idea. We can probably check the inn or ask around I suppose. At worst, I have no issue riding... just no skill with it. Probably be flapping down the road like a duck trying to catch flight." he finishes with a laugh.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ettin in the Playground

Tarak

The hobgoblin pulls up just outside the livery stable, "So? Do we ride or walk? I'm not sure it's the care of the horses that will be a problem, but rather our unfamiliarity with riding them." Motioning to the sign over the large building that read Carry On, "I know for a fact the good folks inside can at least show us up from down...enough at least for us to be on our way."

28. - Top - End - #1108

"Five gold now, fifteen when we get there could catch someone's interest. They may not want to talk to me though. With or without them, or just walking, all fine with me."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

"True, but I wouldn't want to push someone into it with them understanding what was going on. Let's ask and, if someone is interested, we give them what information we have and let them decide. Sound good?"

30. - Top - End - #1110

Griffon

"Sounds good to me. Let's hope not all the locals are cowards!"