New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Why is MyPaint harder to use than Sai? Are there better options?

I do not understand this program. The controls seem very imprecise, and I have no idea how to do the things I want to do. I have no idea how to use this program to draw cartoons like I originally wanted to do. No idea how to get a brush that doesn't look horribly pixelated.

So far, opening this program, I'm reminded mostly of why I hated MyPaint in the first place.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Why is MyPaint harder to use than Sai? Are there better options?

I don't really know what you are trying to do, but I just use GIMP to make web comics.

3. - Top - End - #3

HalflingPirate

How do you get anti aliasing to work in gimp?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    I do not understand this program. The controls seem very imprecise, and I have no idea how to do the things I want to do. I have no idea how to use this program to draw cartoons like I originally wanted to do. No idea how to get a brush that doesn't look horribly pixelated.

So far, opening this program, I'm reminded mostly of why I hated MyPaint in the first place.
    (>insert obligatory half-serious "what are you talking about" jab here<)

I don't know, MyPaint is in my personal top 3 art programs. Tied for 1st place. I only know 3 art programs that feel natural to me. MyPaint and Krita are the best two, Photoshop is a distant third, it's on the list at all by virtue of having the best image manipulation tools.

Can you explain what you mean by "pixelated"? MyPaint has the best brush engine of all other art programs, hands down - it's so good they are making it available standalone, and it's implemented in Krita.

What exactly are you trying to do with it? I might be able to recommend some things.
    Last edited by Sean Mirrsen; 2017-05-21 at 01:47 PM.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!