New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Does academic interest count as a personal stake for advertising purposes?

I'm considering posting a description of how some of the more common protein folding tools work in the Mad Science and Grumpy Technology thread. I would like to include some exercises and examples that can be done with freely available software as an aid to understanding -- some of which my distant colleagues develop, and bug reports from which are occasionally used to inform the development of some of the free software I use. There's no monetary profit involved whatsoever, but if I hypothetically wrote the best description ever and all of humanity rushed to use these tools I could see a benefit in the quality of the software, which could translate into more/better papers and a better h-index for me and a few hundred other people.

Is it all right for me to mention the use of free software my colleagues help develop, or should I only refer to programs developed by people with whom, so far as I know, no one even remotely related to my career has ever co-published?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Does academic interest count as a personal stake for advertising purposes?

Sheriff: That seems fine. You don't have any apparent stake in the software and it'd be free to the other posters.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex