New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default help with blank maps for player generated city building

Hello all, I was looking for some help getting a map template. The idea is I need some landscape maps that I can start with. I am going to have the players create the city that their fore-bearers helped create. The plan is to start with the world building mini game. The problem that I am running in to is that I am bad at drawing and with google searches apparently. I wanted a couple of places with little to no buildings in the land area.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: help with blank maps for player generated city building

Get a random generator?
    I mean there is a lot of awesome 3D landscape generators for free if you search for them.
    If you want you could even enter yourself the parameters you want(like just stack a bunch of perlin noises and add randomly some trees and grass).
    You want which kind of terrain?
    I think there is people who will find better answers than me(for example directly give the 50 blank maps of your dreams)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Get a random generator?
    I mean there is a lot of awesome 3D landscape generators for free if you search for them.
    If you want you could even enter yourself the parameters you want(like just stack a bunch of perlin noises and add randomly some trees and grass).
    You want which kind of terrain?
    I think there is people who will find better answers than me(for example directly give the 50 blank maps of your dreams)
    Thanks, I am not sure why I didn't think of that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Something like this?

Search "topographic map" and [name of real location]. This one's philadelphia for example.

edit: crud, I grabbed the wrong png. apparently that site has the roads superimposed on the height map

here's the link to that site, which should have the actual elevation map http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Philadelphia scroll to the bottom. Though again I got there from a google image search for 'philadelphia topographic map'
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-06-08 at 11:26 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Get a random generator?
    The nice thing about a random generator is that you don't have to use the results. Look over what it gives you and if you don't like it, just hit the button again.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.