New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Eldritch Horror - which expansions are worthwhile?

I currently have Under the Pyramids & Forsaken Lore, but a friend who has the base set is thinking of getting some expansions as well. We don't want to duplicate, so other than those two, what expansions do you think are best to improve/extend the core game?

And are there any really great expansions I should grab myself before telling him about them?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Horror - which expansions are worthwhile?

Some impressions from someone who bought all of them:

Mountains of Madness is very thematic, but has a lot of problems. Among them: the Elder Things are very, very easy as an opponent. I've played them twice, both times we finished without doom ever going down. Ithaqua is very dull to fight, too. The sideboard is very thematic and fun, but very quickly makes an investigator very powerful if he camps there, because someone thought it was a good idea to have a space saying "Local action: gain a clue; Local action: spend a clue, gain an artefact."

The Dreamlands: very flavourful, I'm enjoying it a lot. Most mechanically interesting sideboard too, with the dream portals. Nitpicks: no normal encounters in the dream quest spaces, so they can end up weird and unfitting if you draw a generic one, Hypnos a bit easy.

Strange Remnants: a lot of very flavourful stuff. The syzygy is perhaps the most interesting thing to fight out there too and the ruins deck is pretty great.

Signs of Carcosa: suffers a bit. Hastur is interesting and profits from having eight mysteries instead of six, for replay value. But really lacks any interesting new mechanics. Some favourite investigators, though.

Cities i Ruin: have it, didn't get to play it yet. Most interesting mechanic out of any of the small expansions. Really, really changes how the game plays. Fantastic reviews, too.

So, I'd get Strange Remnants and/or Cities in Ruin
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Eldritch Horror - which expansions are worthwhile?

Thanks, I'll pass the recommendations on