New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1499
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VIII

Elsa stood by, trying to look intimidating but fully aware that the ogres filled that role better than she could ever hope to. Irritating as she found Forkbeard, his voice and his mannerisms, she could at least respect his blend of loyalty and pragmatism, as well as his quiet defiance. If the old man was afraid, he did not show it.

She wanted to ask about Lady Groz, but that might lead Forkbeard to use the lady as a negotiation token.

"Do you have five months, my lord?" asked Forkbeard.

In five months your Duke will be long dead, thought Elsa.

Aloud she said: "Walls and portcullises are no obstacle to a wizard... or if they are, Alvarr doesn't need to know that, now does he?"

She paused, also glancing at Forkbeard's guards as she spoke and making sure they understood she was giving them a perfectly good excuse to 'fail'. "If the castle fell to strange, arcane powers... who would be the Duke to blame you? You were but honest, gods-fearing men, facing a foe beyond your understanding."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-02-16 at 05:47 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Narcisa

"Thanks Maglyn. I would tell you to be careful but you're far shrewder than I am. I'm sure you do fine. Let's go Sepp."

As soon as they returned to the street Narcisa turned to Sepp and turned her best teasing smirk on the poor ex-soldier. "I don't suppose you happen to know any brothels?"

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Narcisa (earlier)

Sepp became flustered. "Well, of course I - everybody knows - I mean it's not a secret, is it?" He looked back towards the direction of the main streets. "You really want to go pokin' about that sort of place? The Tileans'll be swarmin' all over 'em."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wouldn't Narcisa already know her way around the underbelly of Savonne at least as well as Sepp?

Forkbeard & Friends

Forkbeard gave Elsa an unimpressed look. "Mhm. Perhaps so. Unfortunately, Fraulein Holt, you are very much within our understanding."

He looked back to Sforza. "I think there is little else for us to discuss, my lord. Might I, mm, be permitted to return?"

"You know we have prisoners," Sforza said, harshly. "Alvarr's dog, and the best part of a hundred of your men."

"Mm, yes. As a man of honour I have no doubt you will see them treated well," said Forkbeard. "Even war must have rules, I'm sure you agree."

More silence followed. Still glaring, Sforza at last pointed back towards the castle gates.

"Go, then. Run back to your hiding-place." He rode his horse a few paces closer. "I will be seeing you inside those gates before the week is out, old man. The terms I offer then will not be so generous."

Forkbeard gave a stiff little bow. "It has been a pleasure, mm, making your acquaintance, my lord." Turning back towards the castle, he gathered his tiny contingent of guards around him. For a moment, they hesitated, trying to find a way through the soldiers who crowded around them - finally, an impatient gesture from the Captain signalled the Iron Company men to clear a path.

Staring daggers at the old man's back as he shuffled away, Sforza sat in silence for some time, wheels clearly turning inside his head. At last he wrenched his horse's head around, clicking his fingers imperiously at Sieghard as he passed.

"You," he said. "I want that cannon of yours ready before nightfall. If the carpenters are dragging their feet, cut them off. Abdul, I want -" - he cut off mid-sentence as he almost rode straight into Father Barbaro. <Gods damn you, Daniele, what?>

<Apologies, Captain,> stammered Barbaro. He was red-faced and out of breath, as if from strenuous exercise. <The dwarfs - the dwarfs have agreed to meet...>

<Ah. Good,> said Sforza, his temper cooling a little. <Tell them I will receive them at the river gate.>

<Um, no, Captain,> Barbaro began to clarify. <They have agreed to meet - outside the gates of their hold. Nowhere else.>

Craning her neck, Elsa squinted up at the vertiginous bulk of the Rock, looming black against the late morning sun. It looked like one steep climb.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Who wants to go up?
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

As Forkbeard headed back to his keep, Elsa tried to figure out how she might use magic to keep the portcullis from closing behind him, but none of her ideas seemed workable. No matter. One thing she had learned the hard way, like all wizards eventually did, was that a mundane solution (such as a cannon) was usually preferable to a spell, even if it robbed her of a chance to do something impressive.

She perked up at the mention of a talk with the dwarfs. She was curious about whose side they were on, how they felt about the Mitterfruhl massacre, and what they wanted. She would not miss this meeting for all the world.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-02-17 at 12:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

5. - Top - End - #1265

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa let Sepp dangle for a moment before putting him out of his misery. She smirked. "Sorry, just testing you Sepp. To be honest I'd expected more of a denial so good for you for honesty. You aren't wrong about the Tileans mind, but with the Keep still fighting most of them won't have the free time to indulge themselves. We'll wait until Sforza and his crew are busy with the defenders before making our move."

Her smirk turned more friendly and she patted the ex-soldier on the arm. "You did good in there by the way. Thanks."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I'm happy to do a mini-time skip here to get things more into line with the 'present' if you like LCP? Narcisa & Co. are going to go to a House of Negotionable Affection while most are busy with Forkbeard and then the dwarfs.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo resisted the urge to let out a low whistle - he had always rather liked Forkbeard, and was distinctly glad not to have been spotted in the crowd. He looked to Sieghard for guidance next, though - if they had a task to do, it probably wouldn't be allowed to head up the hill out of curiousity.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Would love to go, but have to work. Not like Ludo could usefully join the conversation, unless someone somehow needs a translator.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Bugbear in the Playground

Karlott Tannhöfer

Standing a bit back in the crowd, Karlott hat followed the 'negotiations' between Forkbeard and Sforza. She had to admit, the old man had impressed her a lot, both his courage and his sense of loyalty, which was, considering the fickle nature of the reaches, probably exactly the right kind and only kind one could have.

Watching the conversation between Sforza and Barbaro (which she didn't understand a word of), she decided to stay back for the moment and approach the priest when he seemed to be less occupied.
    Last edited by aberratio ictus; 2018-02-17 at 09:11 AM.
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard waited until Forkbeard was gone before speaking again. "If he says they've got supplies for five months, then it's probably closer to enough for ten." Or maybe only three. He was fairly confident Forkbeard wouldn't give them true information, but whether he had told them more or less than what they really had he had no way of knowing.

He glanced at Elsa. Three, five, or ten, anything they have could be burned if it comes to that.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-02-17 at 10:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Ludo

It wasn’t long after Sforza had left that Ortwin found Sieghard again. They still had one barrel of blackpowder held back, he said – enough for a dozen shots, give or take.

The carpenter Abdul had found them was a craftsman in the Rockshadow district, more used to making furniture than siege weapons. Checking in on the man’s workshop, they watched the mantlet coming together – a hefty timber frame mounted on two wheels, with long handles by which to move it. At Abdul’s instruction, the carpenter was installing a hatch in the centre at the height of Filomena’s muzzle, allowing the cannon to fire out without moving the screen.

Narcisa

Slipping away from the dispersing crowds of soldiers surrounding the castle, Narcisa headed back into the Warren. Most of Sforza’s forces were still concentrated on the east side of town, in the corridor between the south gate and the docks; as long as they stayed west they ought to be out of the soldiers’ way.

Yasmin’s was the largest of the whorehouses she remembered from before the siege, nestled behind the Great Hospital near the edge of the more affluent South Market district. A few scorch marks and a brand new door showed it hadn’t escaped the sack completely unscathed, but it looked to have survived the worst of the fires.

Either it was the invasion or the time of day, but the establishment seemed completely deserted. Trying the handle of the unmarked door, Narcisa found it opened just a crack by a mousy-looking girl in a low-cut dress.

“We’re not open,” came the voice of an older woman from inside – Yasmin. “Best be on your way, whoever you are.”

Elsa & Karlott

Elsa went and found Bastard before rejoining the party making the ascent to the Dwimmulhold. She was glad she did – riding a few places behind the Captain, she didn’t envy the footsoldiers struggling up the rocky path behind her. Soon they were high above the level of the rooftops, the sun beating down on their backs. From up here Alvarr’s army was already visible, creeping closer across the green plains east of the river.

At the top of the crag, outside their steel-bound gates, the dwarfs were waiting. Like Sforza’s retinue, they were armed and armoured, but unlike the Tileans they were not armed the same. Each coat of mail, each axe, each shield seemed unique in some small way to the dwarf that bore it.

Two dwarfs stood out even among the others. The first looked ancient even by the standards of his race, his bald head offset by a pure white beard that trailed almost to the ground. He wore a thick cloak despite the sun, and leaned on a long axe as if it were a walking stick. An enormous tome was strapped to his bent back, the thick leather of its covers worked with intricate Khazalid characters. From beneath his wild and wiry eyebrows, he glowered at the newcomers with open suspicion.

Beside him stood a dwarf woman, her expression far harder to read. Where the other dwarfs wore mail or leather armour, she wore a suit of plate that seemed more ancient even than the old book-bearer, concealing most everything about her besides her golden plaits. The care and craftsmanship that had gone into it made Sforza’s burnished armour look cheap and gaudy, but Elsa paid it little attention – her gaze was drawn immediately to the hammer she carried. It burned like a beacon in her second sight, the runes carved on its head thrumming with the trapped power of the Winds.

Removing her helmet, she regarded the Captain with dark, unreadable eyes. As Sforza dismounted, Barbaro struggled to the front of the delegation, panting and red-faced from the climb.

“Honoured Dawi,” he began, still wheezing, “may I present Muzio Sforza, son of Giovanni, son of Giacomuzzo, son of the great Marco Vicconte of the royal blood of Tobaro.” He paused to draw a great gulp of breath, but seemed anxious to complete the formal greeting before Sforza could speak. “Captain of the Iron Company, victor of the Isla Sirena, right hand of the Emir of Al-Haikk, ruler of Last Water and the Vale… and faithful friend to the dwarfs of Clan Dwimmulson.”

The white-bearded book-bearer grunted. “That is yet to be judged,” he said. Shifting his weight on his axe, he cleared his throat. “You stand before Rinn Elmendrin Dwimmulson, daughter of Athlund, son of Norri, son of Ullagrin...” - he continued with the genealogy for some time. “Head of our clan and master of this hold.” His eyes slid slowly from Barbaro to Sforza. “You may make your case.”

Sforza gave Barbaro a sidelong glance for confirmation that the woman with the hammer was the one he was supposed to be speaking to. Barbaro gave a hasty nod, and Sforza stepped forwards and bowed. It only brought him level with the tops of the tallest dwarfs’ heads.

“What is there to say, my friends?” he said, with a strained smile. “From up here, I see you see all.”

He gestured to the city below. “You know I have taken Savonne. Only a desperate rump of Alvarr’s men still hold the castle. You know I have destroyed the bridge across the Azril, and their master cannot cross.”

“Aye, we do,” said the white-bearded dwarf. “Our ancestors helped build that bridge. It was a good bridge.”

“And you have my word that I will help rebuild it when this war is over,” Sforza smoothly continued. “Better and stronger than it was before.”

Out of the corner of her eye, Elsa caught Barbaro covertly motioning for the Captain to drop this line of conversation. Dwarfs were dwarfs, and from the looks on their faces they didn’t take kindly to the implication that the newcomers could build bridges better than their ancestors.

“Edouard Alvarr is no friend of the Dwimmulsons,” said Sforza. “He and his mad dog Rorik murdered Count Groz at their own feast.” He extended an open hand towards Elmendrin. “I offer you vengeance for your fallen ally. I offer you the return of peace and security to the Reaches. All I ask of you in return is your support.”

“Peace had returned,” said the elder, “until you started another war.” He seemed to be doing all the talking – did Rinn Elmendrin ever speak?

“We both know Alvarr’s peace could not have lasted. He knows only one way to keep it – at the point of a sword.”

“Count Groz was a good friend to our clan,” said Elmendrin, at last. “He gave us shelter when we left the hold, and helped gather the other lords to drive out the elf.” She paused. “A cause you deserted.”

“Not willingly, I assure you,” said Sforza. “I could not advance without Evatt’s support. It’s well known that the Grand Commander was mad.”

“You are here without his support now.”

Sforza hesitated, out of pat responses. Elmendrin waited a few moments before pressing him further.

“We take our oaths seriously, Captain. We had a pact with Groz to retake this city, and that pact was fulfilled. Now we hear his allies turned against him because he planned to betray them to you. Because he was induced to break his oaths for gold.” She held Sforza’s gaze. “Is that true?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-02-17 at 03:15 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #1270

BlackDragon

Narcisa

"If they let us try not to look down anyone's dress," Narcisa whispered to Sepp before trying the handle. Given her own tastes she was aware that was a rather... hypocritical thing to say but no reason for Sepp to know that.

"Yasmin? It's Narcisa." Narcisa said, trying to look kind and sound trustworthy (and vice versa.) "You remember Jasper's girl. I'm here as a friend. Please can you let us in? I wanted to talk."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm: (1d100)[37] vs 43 (or 53 if Streetwise applies here.)

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa could not help but glance at Rinn Elmendrin every once in a while. This was the first time she saw a dwarf woman in a leadership position. She had always assumed their race to be far more conservative and narrow-minded than humans. Rinn's hammer intrigued her, but judging from that orange-haired maniac's reaction to her attempting a spell on his axe, many months ago, she knew there was no way a dwarf would willingly let a wizard near her rune weapon.

Her hopes in the negotiations faded quickly when she realized the dwarfs were too smart and too down-to-earth to fall for Sforza's unsubtle, arrogant bluster. For the first time, she understood why the captain kept Barbaro around; the priest seemed much better at reading people and extending the correct amount of respect.

The wrong lords are winning the war, she thought. The Reaches might have been in much better hands under Belehir or Groz. Those born to power seem less suited to it than those who had to actually earn it.

“We take our oaths seriously, Captain. We had a pact with Groz to retake this city, and that pact was fulfilled. Now we hear his allies turned against him because he planned to betray them to you. Because he was induced to break his oaths for gold.” She held Sforza’s gaze. “Is that true?”
    Elsa winced, then quickly reassumed a neutral expression. She had hoped this thorny subject would not be broached. There really was no good way to navigate it.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to say for now, really.

Now that I've mentioned Thengdrim, I have to wonder where he is. Last time we saw him he was here in Savonne.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-02-17 at 08:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

Narcisa

There was a long pause. "Let her in," Yasmin said.

Inside, the hall of the brothel was clean and bare, devoid of the usual trappings of its business. Yasmin stood in the doorway leading to the back. Tall, dark-skinned and long-faced, the brothel-keeper had a touch of grey in her hair that Narcisa didn't remember.

"What are you doing here, girl?" she asked. Her tone was not unkind, but at the same time she was clearly unsettled by Narcisa's appearance on her doorstep. Everything about the whorehouse's current state spoke of someone who was doing their best to keep their head down. "I thought they ran the lot of you out of town after the fall."

Elsa & Karlott

"Lies," said Sforza, "and slander, spread by the men who stand to benefit from them most." He spread his hands in a gesture of innocence. "I cannot swear that Groz was not considering changing sides. But I will swear on all the gods that I offered him no inducement to do so." He was good at sounding sincere, Elsa had to give him that.

"Groz died because Alvarr doesn't want to share power. He couldn't control him as he does the Jarl, so he came up with this pretext to have him killed. Ask yourself, how many of the old lords of the north were allowed to pledge allegiance to Alvarr? And how many's heads did he mount on pikes for the crime of challenging his rule?" Sforza shook his head with a concerned expression. "My friends, he will turn on you too in time."

He gestured back to Elsa and Barbaro. "You can ask my officers - I have no fear of making allies, or listening to their counsel. Your have always prided yourselves on your independence, have you not? Support me, and I will guarantee it for generations to come."

"Our independence is not in your gift to give," said Elmendrin, sternly. "Nor in your power to take away."

"My apologies," said Sforza, bowing his head. "That was not my meaning."

Elmendrin said nothing more, but looked to the elder with the book. He harrumphed loudly, and a young dwarf with a short beard scuttled forwards carrying a small, octagonal brass table. Thumping the book down on top of it, the ancient dwarf undid the sturdy clasp that held it shut, and swung it open with an expression of distinct satisfaction.

"The Clan Dwimmulson Book of Grudges," he read aloud, running a stubby finger across the bold runes written across the frontispiece. "May they all be boiled in oil."

Gripping a wedge of pages as thick as a brick, he turned towards the back of the book. Elsa noticed that there were sections nearer the front where the parchment looked darker, more brittle with age - this tome had clearly been expanded and re-bound on more than one occasion.

"For breaking their word and abandoning the fight against the elgi usurper, the princelings Evatt and Sforza are attainted as oathbreakers. Let their names be entered in the Book, and let this grudge stand from now until such time as proper recompense is given - or until the extinction of both their lines."

"For us to lend our support to you," said Elmendrin, "this grudge would have to be struck out."

"I see," said Sforza. A cold, pragmatic edge entered his voice - the suspicion that the dwarfs were now speaking his language. "What... recompense do you desire? The gold mines of the Vale have proven quite productive..."

The elder held up his hand to indicate he hadn't finished. Turning back through the older pages, he read again:

"For the murders of Thora and Thorgil Thorsson, and the pillage of the Black Knife mine, a grudge upon Grimlug of the Iron Claw, known as the Throttler, and all his tribe. Let this grudge stand until the orcs of the Iron Claw are expunged from the face of the earth."

Sforza looked perplexed. "I don't believe - " he began, but the dwarf just turned another sheaf of pages and kept reading.

"For the slaughter of Gunella Thengisdottir and her caravan, a grudge upon Shagrat of the Iron Claw." He turned the pages again. "For the loss of Skalf Ironrod's trading station, a grudge upon the orcs of the Iron Claw. For the massacre of the Mere Road, a grudge upon the orcs of the Iron Claw. For parchment spent in recording grudges, a grudge upon the orcs of the Iron Claw!"

"Will someone please explain the reason for this... reading?" demanded Sforza, his temper clearly fraying. "There are no orcs here!"

"Only friends of orcs," said Elmendrin, dangerously. "We exiled ourselves from our home, rather than let an elf rule over this city. Under what circumstances do you think we would ever ally ourselves with a man who makes bargains with grobi?"

"This is ridiculous," fumed Sforza. "Who has told you this? Alvarr? Are you so blind as to believe everything he tells you?" He jabbed a finger at his chest. "I destroyed the orcs in the south. I have done more than anyone in the Reaches to see your dead avenged." He wheeled on Elsa. "Here is the woman who slew their warlord! Ask her yourself! Ask if Muzio Sforza is a 'friend' to greenskins."

Elsa became uncomfortably aware of the eyes of dozens of dwarfs on her. They asked no questions, waiting instead for her to speak.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-02-17 at 11:39 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Elsa was silent for a moment, though gears turned quickly in her head as she chose her words. She did not like to be relied upon to lie convincingly; it was far from her best skill. Not to mention that... the dwarfs did have a point.

"We crushed the greenskins without mercy against the walls of Manann's Keep," she swore, trying to stick close to the truth; or at least, one side of it. "Do you really believe they only targeted Evatt's lands? We've lost many farmsteads to them. They had the audacity to attack our supply train while we were on the move. When, pray tell, have they ever needed encouragement?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose a Charm test (39) can't hurt, though I don't know if it'll convince the dwarfs or only make them think: "Wow, she's a good liar. Or painfully naive."

(d100)[1]
    Fortune: (d100)[11]
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2018-02-18 at 01:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #1274

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Seeing that streak of grey sent a pang of guilt through Narcisa. She'd had always had soft spot for Yasmin. But for a different roll of the die she'd probably have ended up working here herself.

"They did Yasmin, but I got back in with the invasion," Narcisa admitted. She gave the older woman a sad smile. "I can see No-Nose hasn't been any friend to you or your girls."

She took a deep breath. "I'm going to take him down one way or another, but I can't do it alone or even just with Sepp here. Will you help me?"

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

"What if they fire flaming arrows at it?" Ludo said, critically inspecting the mantlet as if he knew anything useful to say about it. "Is it at risk of catching fire?"

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Even if they hit it with a few of them, it'd take more than that for it to catch," Sieghard replied. "Rorik's Norscans used skins filled with fat when they attacked Painford. Unless the duke's men can fire something like that and have it ready when we attack, there's not much to worry about from fire."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-02-18 at 10:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1277

Karlott Tannhöfer

Following the procession up to the Dwimmulson hold, Karlott once again stood in the background, listening intently to the exchange between the dwarfs and Sforza.
    Once they started listening the crimes of the Iron Claw, her bad feeling grew stronger and stronger, and finally, Sforza got accused to be a friend of the orcs. A weird rumour, and a very vicious one.

She watched Elsa deny the fact, and while she was fairly credible as a person being involved with the orc warlord's demise, somehow Karlott doubted her words would appease the dwarves.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Sieghard

"You want to fireproof the thing, you'll have to do it yourself," snapped the carpenter, perhaps forgetting his position for a moment. He had clearly been working long and hard, and the question seemed to irritate him. "I mean, look around you. What do you see? Wood, and more wood. You want me to find you some wood that doesn't burn?"

One of the two Iron Company men watching the construction stepped forwards, his hand on the shortsword at his belt. The carpenter shrank back down to size.

"I mean... maybe if you found something to... cover it," he mumbled. He looked around for some excuse to escape from the conversation. Seeing one of tools lying unattended on a workbench, he scuttled away.

Narcisa

Yasmin gave Narcisa a long look. "Are you drunk?" she asked. "It's a little early in the day for that, don't you think?"

Elsa & Karlott

Some of the dwarfs began to talk between themselves as their leaders kept silence. At last, Elmendrin held up a gauntleted hand, and the whispering stopped.

"One lord tells us one thing; another tells us the opposite. How are we to tell truth from lies?"

"They are all lies," grumbled White-beard. "This clan learned long ago of the faithlessness of umgi. They hold no regard for the truth."

"We will not aid you. It will take more than words to clear your name." Elmendrin shook her head. "There is no price you can name that will sway us from our decision."

"Then why did you bring me up here?" demanded Sforza, angrily. "Why agree to speak at all if you had already made your decision?"

"We wanted to get the measure of you, manling," said the elder. "See if you were the monster the other umgi say you are."

Sforza gave a tight-lipped smile, frustration and fury gleaming in his eyes. He tightened one hand into a fist, and inclined his neck a few degrees in the stiffest, most grudging of bows. "Well," he said, "I hope you are satisfied."

"Not really," said Elmendrin, her voice matching her stony face. "I would say I'm disappointed."

She motioned to the dwarfs behind her, and one of them shouted something in Khazalid. There was a groan of metal and a clanking of chains, and the gates yawned inwards, opening into the blackness inside the Rock. Turning their backs on the Captain, the Dwimmulson delegation filed back inside their hold.

Sforza watched in silence until the last dwarf had disappeared. As the gates boomed shut, his gaze turned slowly east, to where Alvarr's army was creeping ever closer. Seeming to come to a decision, he strode over to his horse and heaved himself back into the saddle.

"Down," he snapped, riding past Elsa and Barbaro without a second glance. "Now."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #1279

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa smiled without humour. "Drunk is more fun. Yasmin, I'm not stupid. I know No-Nose has a lot of muscle, but I have friends too and he doesn't know I'm here. I'm not asking you and your girls to start using swords but you can still help - and I know you want to be rid of him"

She took a deep breath. "Do any of his boys frequent here? Do you know any of their habits?"
    Last edited by RossN; 2018-02-18 at 07:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

Narcisa

"He has got a lot of muscle," said Yasmin, curtly. "And what have you got? This fellow?" She circled her hand at Sepp, as if to take in all of his deficiencies. She paused and squinted at him. "I know your face from somewhere. Didn't we bar you?"

"That was a completely legitimate misunderstanding..." Sepp began, but Yasmin waved impatiently to cut him off.

"Ranald bless you, Narcisa, last I saw you you were still practically a child. Now you walk in here with this... specimen, and ask me to help you bring down the boss of the biggest crew in the city? I'm trying to run a business here, not a home for lost causes."

She sighed. "Listen, things will be changing around here. If you're so keen on this, sit tight, see how Dragos gets on with the new prince. He's already bringing in his own people. Zena from the Wick said they had some hard-faced Tilean bitches poking around." She gave Narcisa a resigned look. "Just... don't go charging off to get yourself killed. Greenapple wouldn't have wanted that, if he were still here."
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-02-18 at 09:11 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

"Wait," said Elsa as the dwarfs were about to close the door. "Do you know if Leona Groz is truly safe and sound?"

They did not have firsthand knowledge of this. If Leona had been hurt or killed on Mitterfruhl, it was in the Duke's advantage to pretend otherwise until Putbad was secured.

The outcome of the talks did not surprise Elsa one bit. She could not fault the dwarfs, really. Sforza did not have much to offer them. No concrete guarantees, no proof of his honesty, only denials and empty promises. What did he expect? Clearly he was not used to dealing with dwarfs... or anyone who was not intimidated by him.

She turned her horse around and followed the captain down the steep slope. She dared not address him directly in his current mood, so instead she turned to Barbaro, speaking loud enough for Sforza to hear: "They'll come around once we're victorious. They'll have to. They'll be out of allies before long."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa & Karlott

Elmendrin ignored Elsa's shouted question, disappearing into the darkness. The white-bearded elder, however, paused at the threshold, allowing the other dwarfs to pass by while he called back his answer.

"We have seen her. She was alive and unharmed." He rapped the butt of his long axe against the rock. "Long may she remain."

Turning his back, he hobbled back into the dark. The clang of the doors swinging shut behind him cut off all further questions.

~

"As you say, signora," said Barbaro, keeping his eyes on Sforza. The Captain rode under a black cloud, the men keeping a respectful distance behind him.

Slowing his horse, Sforza forced the soldiers to pass him, glaring back up the crag. <They will sing a different tune when Alvarr is dead,> he said, forcefully. <We know their strength. If they could oppose us, they would not have gone begging to Groz to take this city back from the elf.> He tore his gaze away. <They will swallow their pride, or they will be crushed.>

His horse started forward again, picking its way carefully down the steep slope. Barbaro gave Elsa a warning look before following after - he clearly thought it best not to press the Captain further.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard glared at the soldier. "Let the man work," He said. He wasn't any happier about the situation than the carpenter was.

"Ludo, if you think fire could be an issue, then let's find Abdul. If anyone would know where we could get something to cover it, it's him."

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't really see the need to play it out in detail though.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2018-02-19 at 01:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1284

BlackDragon

Narcisa

Narcisa nods slowly, the older woman's words sinking in. Much as she lusted for No-Nose to lose other parts of his anatomy she had to be pragmatic about this.

"You're very wise Yasmin. I'll lay low for the moment." She smiled ruefully. "What about you? Do you need any help? I could see if I can find out anything about the Tilean girls."

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, no, it's fine," Ludo said hurriedly. "It's a lovely mantlet."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-02-19 at 05:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Narcisa

"We can look out for ourselves," said Yasmin. "I'm going to steer clear of these Tileans, and hope they steer clear of me. I'd recommend you do the same."

Elsa & Karlott

Reaching the foot of the Rock, Sforza gathered his soldiers about him and set off at a rapid pace for the river gate. Barbaro hung back, seemingly glad of the opportunity to get out of his master's close orbit. Karlott finally had her chance to approach him.

"What?" he said. "Oh, that. Of course, signora." He reached for a flask at his belt, then put it back as he opened the cap and smelt that it was brandy. Producing a different flask that he claimed was blessed water, he let a few drops fall onto the silver talisman, and passed his hand over it while he spoke a prayer in Classical.

"May Myrmidia watch over you, mia cara," he said. He glanced to the east, and dropped his voice to a murmur. "May she watch over us all."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #1287

Karlott Tannhöfer

She stood solemnly, while the priest blessed the small silver shield. The situation with the brandy made her blink for a moment, but she wasn't one to judge. She herself had drunk something a lot worse not too long ago, and who said priests didn't deserve a little respite from time to time. "Thank you, father." Karlott said when Barbaro was finished, and it was in earnest.
    She did feel better now. Not exactly hopeful, but something had been missing.
    To his last comment, she nodded and followed his gaze. "May she watch over us all." Karlott repeated, and kept silent for some seconds, before adding "I don't want to keep you from your duties. Thank you for your time."

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

It was still some hours before sunset when the blare of trumpets on the eastern wall sounded the alarm. The Duke had arrived.

Sforza was watching the approach of the enemy from the top of the river gate, his officers gathered around him. Elsa felt a certain déjà vu as she watched the sea of armed men spreading out across the far bank of the river. Alvarr’s army certainly didn’t seem to have diminished in size since they had seen it at the ford.

In a whir of dark wings, Morrslieb circled down out of the open sky to settle on Elsa’s outstretched arm. Hopping up onto her shoulder, he croaked and tilted his head in expectation of a reward.

“Sieghard, I want you to move your crossbows up to cover as much of the bridge as they can,” said the Captain, his eyes fixed across the water. “Any man of Alvarr’s comes in range, shoot. Giovanni, get the pikes formed up at the foot of the bridge. I want our banner flying where Alvarr can see it.”

A couple of Alvarr’s scouts had already ridden up to the water’s edge to get a look at the broken bridge – they were now riding back to their master.

“The rest of you, stand ready. If he tries the crossing, we’ll end this war here.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The mantlet is now ready, but Sforza wants all hands on deck to deal with Alvarr’s arrival.
    Last edited by LCP; 2018-02-19 at 07:43 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Elsabeth Holt

Her heavy coat flapping in the wind, Elsa absent-mindedly fed Morrslieb some of the strings of meat she carried for him and squinted at the approaching army. Alvarr's forces were vast, but this time at least she was on the safer side of the wall. She also had the luxury to leave the battle any time she wanted simply by ducking.

As long as no archer gets too lucky, like one almost did last night.

"The moment I start blasting away, I'll become target practice for the archers," she warned Sforza. "So forgive me if I won't be wasting my luck on common soldiers, unless they make it over the parapet."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Thorns forward!" Sieghard shouted. "Take positions in and around the buildings on the bank and stay in cover! Load the cannon and bring it up as well!"

"The moment I start blasting away, I'll become target practice for the archers, so forgive me if I won't be wasting my luck on common soldiers, unless they make it over the parapet."

"What about that trick with the noise?" Sieghard suggested. "You should be able to do that one without making drawing attention to yourself. I imagine it'll be hell on their morale if you can make them think we've got more than one cannon firing on them."