New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Blood Crown VIII

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Dunno why you're so sure either of us will be alive if Alvarr wins," Sieghard said. "The man isn't known for being merciful - quite the opposite actually. If we survive the battle and he gets his hands on us it'll be a noose for me and I'd wager Jager could think up something slower and more painful for you."
    "I'm sure Alvarr can be reasonable," said Elsa, sounding as though she were trying to convince herself. "He didn't kill all of Belehir's men. Or Belehir himself, for that matter."

She sometimes wondered why Alvarr saw fit to keep Belehir alive. Perhaps death would be preferrable to Alvarr's dungeons, come to think of it.

"If they have betrayed us, everything they they know or think they know, Alvarr will know."
    "We don't know that they work for Alvarr," Elsa pointed out. "Adelbert could be merely working against Sforza. Or for Groz. Or for the Norscans... He seems fond of Kelda Waveborn." A smirk played on her lips. "Can't fault him for that."

She grew serious again and gave the notion some thought. "When we have the opportunity, we could drop false information in their laps. Maybe to lure enemy forces into a trap, or away from where they're needed. This way we'll see if our friends are indeed spies, and for who. And if they are, the enemy will find it harder to trust any intelligence they bring in the future."

'Intelligence'. I'm starting to talk like an officer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa - 25th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    "Adelbert or Ludo could never convince Viggo to work with Rorik," Sieghard said, far less approving at the mention of the hill men. "He hasn't forgotten what his savages did to that girl in Painford. Doubt the Jarl would care enough about the shade for them to take an interest in it either for that matter. And if it was Groz, they'd probably already know what we're doing - or at least we wouldn't have anything to worry about even if they didn't. If it's anyone, it's Alvarr."

"When we have the opportunity, we could drop false information in their laps. Maybe to lure enemy forces into a trap, or away from where they're needed. This way we'll see if our friends are indeed spies, and for who. And if they are, the enemy will find it harder to trust any intelligence they bring in the future."
    Sieghard nodded. "In the future, we could. For this, though, I think we're better saying nothing. They were already suspicious enough of us to try following us. Anything we say, they'll assume is a lie." He scratched his chin, a bit irritated by the start of a beard that had sprouted there. He hoped Elsa liked it enough to be worth it - and that it wouldn't itch as much once he became used to it. "What we could do though, is spread a few rumors and let them draw their own conclusions. If they caught word that a large part of Groz's grain supply caught fire around the time we were here they'd assume we were involved. Anything with fire would probably work... Not like it has to be true."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VIII

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "In the future, we could. For this, though, I think we're better saying nothing. They were already suspicious enough of us to try following us. Anything we say, they'll assume is a lie."

Elsa shrugged. "The trick is to arrange for them to hear or see things they think they're not supposed to know. A half-written note forgotten on a desk, or an overheard conversation."

She looked extremely dubious about Sieghard's suggestion of an arson rumor. "Do they have a reason to think we're in Putbad? If they know we're on a mission, they'll likely assume our business is in Savonne. In any case, our little trick will work only once. If Alvarr's forces don't suffer a great defeat from the bad information we feed them, we'll be wasting a precious advantage."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I'm pretty much done with this conversation if TheSummoner is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, at least Sandu wasn't immediately decrying them. "You had some passengers earlier - big man with brown hair? Probably travelling with a few other men and at least one woman? He owes me a lot of money, and we wanted to find out where he'd gone. So I was looking for him and for you - partially because I wanted passage back to Ravenskird. Apparently, looking for someone is suspicious these days!"
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2017-07-07 at 01:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa - 25th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard shrugged. "Not knowing what they think is what worries me the most. We've been careful, but it's possible they caught up while we were delayed changing boats and recognized one of the men we brought. Even if not, they'll realize we aren't in Savonne eventually and from there, it could only be here, Bunthafen, or Alvarran."

"Alvarr's defeat will come once we've secured an alliance with Groz. We lose nothing setting a false trail to cover our tracks, even if they suspect nothing or better, you're wrong and they can still be trusted." An idea struck him. "And if things go poorly and we fail to convince Groz's men, we could test them by revealing the truth. Even if we fail to gain a new ally for ourselves, we could still deny Alvarr one of his."

Spoiler
    Show
    I've got more, but I'm fine with taking it to OOC if you think this is running long.

On the above:
    The others are clearly doing something so right now - I doubt they've given up the chase, I'm trying to think of every possible scenario of our success vs what they find out and how to cover for the undesirable possibilities.

Best case, they've lost our trail after Painford and things go without a hitch from here. Nothing extra required. If things go poorly from here (regardless of what the others figure out), we can still use the fact that we were even here to try to drive a wedge between Alvarr and Groz. Divide and conquer, better to face Alvarr and Rorik than those two and Groz as well. A far worse outcome, but one with an obvious path forwards. It's the last possibility that's complicated: We succeed, but they figure out as much as they can. So what's the most they could figure out? Until they show up in Putbad or get a chance for one of the men we brought to say anything I doubt they can figure out the why of it. I'm sure they have more than a few guesses based on how much else they know, but they can't know with any certainty. As for where, I'd be surprised if they don't know at least that we passed through Savonne. That much is just a matter of asking Viktor if we passed through and then seeing we weren't in Ravenskird. There are only so many places we could hide out if we were still in Savonne. Middle of enemy territory and all. Once they've eliminated those, as said IC, from there it's Putbad, Bunthafen, or Alvarran.

More:
    I think we should try to get on as friendly terms with Groz's men as possible while in Putbad. After Alvarr vs Sforza, the main scenarios are: Alvarr is dead, Groz and Sforza are both alive. Alvarr and Groz dead, Sforza alive. Alvarr and Sforza dead, Groz alive. Alvarr alive, Groz and Sforza dead. Rorik being alive or dead I don't imagine will be much of a factor.

If Sforza and Groz both live, then Sforza will likely move to eliminate Groz next. Gaining their trust could be useful. If Sforza is the sole survivor, we could use said trust as leverage to rectuit them to our own cause. If Groz is the sole survivor, it's a means to get into his circle instead. And should we Sforza and Groz both fall and leave Alvarr as the last man standing (or should we choose to turn against Sforza at some point), then perhaps Groz's men could become our own allies. Regardless of how Alvarr vs Sforza plays out, they'd also make valuable allies against Klammenberg.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2017-07-07 at 02:21 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Viggo, 23rd Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Sandu stared Ludo's question down. "I didn't have any passengers," he stated, flatly. "You must've got the wrong boat."

Sieghard & Elsa, 25th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Reaching the apex of their ascent somewhat dampened by the spray that blew through the slats of the wooden cage, Elsa and Sieghard stepped back onto welcome solid ground. From up here, the boats in the pool looked like children's toys,

Once the last of their party had been winched up, their guide passed a few coins to the burly men who operated the crane - what he said to them was almost impossible to make out over the roar of the falls. Looking back to make sure he still had all his guests in tow, he motioned to lead them into the town.

Putbad was a town built around the river, even more so than Savonne. Houses made from the sooty limestone of the Karst crowded close around either side of the rushing Azril, stout breakwaters further upstream providing sheltered patches where horse-drawn barges could crawl along the banks without being swept over the precipice. A pair of ancient-looking stone bridges arched over the turbulent flow to a rocky island in the centre of the river, where an equally old monastery squatted like a frog on an undersized lily-pad. Its solitary belltower was the tallest building in the town, looking down over the falls and the leaning statue at their lip.

Up close, the statue was much more impressive - Elsa hadn't quite appreciated its size from down below. A single block of solid stone, its head would have stood level with the tops of the Jenny's masts. Its smooth, water-worn surface was dark granite, not local stone, and the features that still survived were definitely those of a woman. The outlines of two thick, pleated braids curved symmetrically down over its squat shoulders, while the time-worn lump of its head still bore the suggestion of a stern, maternal face.

"I believe you are expected at the guildhouse!" their guide was saying, still raising his voice to be heard. As they walked away from the precipice, conversation became easier. "This way!"

The guildhouse, it turned out, was the largest building in Putbad after the monastery. A sizeable limestone townhouse, built in the fashion of its cousins in the Empire, its broad facade was marked with a relief of a pair of scales. Despite its evident status as a centre of wealth, it looked a little as if it had seen better days.

Ushering them inside, their guide spoke to one of the liveried guards at the gate, who hurried off in search of someone. The atrium they found themselves waiting in was rather grand - Elsa took a seat in an old upholstered chair, while Sieghard and his men stood dutifully by. A blank frame on the rear wall looked down on them looking as if had once held a very large painting.

After a short while, the guard reappeared, with a small group following behind. Most of them were men in late middle age - some short, some tall, some fat, some thin - all wearing the rich clothes of wealthy burghers and merchants. The person who came forward to greet Elsa, however, was a young woman, perhaps younger than Elsa herself. With nut-brown skin and jet-black hair, she looked like she belonged to an old Reaches family, rather than any of the more recent settlers. Her dress was simple but nonetheless very finely made; it had clearly either been adjusted or made very recently to accommodate the fact that she was very clearly pregnant.

"Fraulein Ardelean," she said, curtseying as deeply as she was able - which wasn't very far. "I am Leona Groz. On behalf of my husband Eberhard, I would like to welcome you to Putbad." She smiled, and extended her hand. "I trust you had a safe journey?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-07 at 02:22 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo sagged visibly in his chair. "Well. Fine. Okay then, this was all a waste of time. We'll be going now, please."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    No-nose looked from Sandu back to Ludo.

"What happened to this debt you were so keen on then, little man?" he asked. "Your friend here says there ain't no such person. So either you're blind or you're lying." He looked back to Jozef and the others. "What do you say, boys? Smell a rat?"

"I do know him," protested Sandu, grudgingly. "He's harmless, Dragos. Just got a knack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"You so sure about that, Sandu?" said Dragos. "'Friend' of these two ran straight to the castle after they picked up your trail at the Yellow Dog. Delivering letters, he says."

Sandu looked uncomfortable, suspicion and self-interest warring with whatever aversion to violence motivated him to defend Ludo to the others.

"No-one's going to miss a halfling and a..." - Dragos waved his hand at Viggo, "a jester, or whatever this one is. I say we cut their throats and let the river carry 'em back to Ravenskird, if that's where they want to go." He looked up from under his eyebrows at Sandu. "Better safe than sorry, mate."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa smiled and shook Leona's hand, easing up a bit on the shy act now that she was in the presence of her host's wife. She had no idea until now that Groz was married.

"I trust you had a safe journey?"

"Quite safe, thank you, albeit slow," said Elsa good-naturedly. "Uncooperative winds. But the sight of the town alone was worth the trip. I should convince my husband to journey here with me one day."

Was Leona in the know about who Elsa was and why she had come? Elsa decided she had better not chance it, especially in the presence of those merchants.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2017-07-07 at 07:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Maybe he was on a different boat!" Ludo said, again near hysterics. "Maybe he took the road instead! And as for the debt, well, I have more pressing things to worry about right now, don't I?" He tugged at his bonds to demonstrate - the most evocative gesture he could currently manage. "I'm happy to live and let live, if i'm let live myself. Water under the bridge, I say, so long as I'm not floating face down in it."

He made a show of calming himself. "Look. We're not important. We're gamblers from down south, that's all. You don't need to kill us. Put us back in the bags, take us and the horse back to where you found us, and let us go. We've no idea where we are or who you are, or what on earth you're doing here. We'll be leaving town tomorrow morning, and you don't need to worry about anyone coming looking for us."

He looked directly at Sandu. If the captain had been lying about transporting Elsa and Sieghard - and they could well have asked for discretion - then perhaps he could be appealed to. "Captain, please. You know there's no need for this, not after what we've been through. You know I'm just in the wrong place at the wrong time again."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Big important Charm test!

(1d100)[36] vs 67 (fel 57 +10 mastery)
    (1d100)[9] re-roll if needed

Hmm... once again I'm going to use a fate point for a +10 and extra degree of success - that's 36 vs 77, which means 4+1=5 Degrees of Success! Surely they'll have to listen to my impeccably reasoned arguments right now.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2017-07-08 at 11:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Viggo, 23rd Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Viggo made some emphatic muffled noises of agreement, nodding his head vigorously.

"He's telling the truth, Dragos," said Sandu. "Look at him. He's no danger."

"And what if he is? This is our ****ing fortune on the line, Sandu. You want to risk it all over some halfling runt?" Dragos looked at Sandu scornfully. "What do they feed you down south, that you get so gods-damned soft?"

He gestured at Ludo with a callused hand. "You heard him. No-one's gonna come looking for them. We make sure."

"What about their friend at the castle?" said Sandu. "He's in town right now. What's he going to do when his mates go missing?" That seemed to give Dragos pause. "What are his friends going to go if he goes missing? Friends in high places, maybe."

"So what, you just want to let 'em go?" demanded Dragos. "On only a bloody promise? It's a bit late for that."

"He already said he doesn't know where he is. If he wants to tell tales, what's he going to say?"

"He knows your boat," said Dragos. "He know you."

"Then that's on me," said Sandu, stubbornly. "My crew can take care of them if that's what you want. Make sure they don't go walking into anything else they're noit supposed to before they leave town." The way he stressed those last two words seemed aimed at Ludo. "This city ain't Wolf Pit any more. If you go killing whoever you please, someone's going to notice. Greenapple would have said the same."

That last comment seemed to rile Dragos. "Greenapple's dead," he growled. "You're dealing with me."

"For now."

There was a long silence, each of the two men just waiting for the other to crack. At last, with an exasperated snarl, Dragos turned to his broken-nosed henchman.

"Jozef," he said. "Give me that damn bottle of yours."

Hesitantly, Jozef produced a brown glass bottle and handed it to his boss. Pulling out the cork with his teeth, Dragos upended it over Viggo and Ludo, sprinkling them with foul-smelling rotgut.

"You breathe one word of this to anyone, little man," he said, crouching down to speak to Ludo face-to-face, "and my boys will be showing you what your insides look like. We understand each other?" He waited until he saw Ludo nod, then motioned to the man standing behind. Something hard connected with the back of Ludo's head, and everything went dark.

24th Jahrdrung

Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    The two of them woke, aching and stinking of booze, in the alleyway behind the Yellow Dog. Sitting up and rubbing the growing lump on the back of his skull, Ludo's eyes focused blearily on the figure of a street urchin who was bent over Viggo's prostrate form, going through his pockets. Seeing Ludo awake, the boy bolted, Viggo's money pouch clutched in his grubby fingers.

Feeling at his belt, Ludo found his own purse gone too. Hearing a whinny behind him, he looked round to see Magnus lifting his head from sleep where he had been tied up behind the tavern. Dragos' men had allowed them that at least.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any money Ludo and Viggo were carrying on their person is gone, but the rest of your effects have been left alone.

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    The next morning, a young page summoned Adelbert to the rooms where Forkbeard was waiting. The chancellor was already surrounded by stacks of books and old parchment, a couple of servants helping him to sort through the mess. A quick glance showed Adelbert that most of the documents on the table were ledgers of city's taxes and tithes.

"Herr Schreiber," said Forkbeard, not looking up. "Good to see you. If you would like some, mm, breakfast, there are some things over there." Sure enough, a small side-table had been set out with cheese, cold meats, and dense, dark bread. "Ordinarily I would ask Frau Knopf to help with a task like this, but I feel that the fewer people who know you're here, the better, hmm? Loose lips and, mm, so on."

Closing the ledger he was examining, he walked over to the breakfast table and took some more food for himself. "I've been examining what figures we have on this business of the Crimson Shade. If Sforza really is behind it - mm, behind all of it - he could be turning a very pretty penny indeed. More than just here, if some of it is going north through, mm, Khypris or somewhere - in the Empire this stuff is worth its weight in gold." Chewing and swallowing, he looked directly at Adelbert. "You said last night you knew the path it takes to get here? You must put it in writing for us - as much detail as you can."

"His Grace will be joining us shortly. He will want to hear everything there is to know about this expedition to Putbad; leave this Shade business to me." Brushing some crumbs out of his beard, he sat back down. "I would suggest being as clear and concise as possible. Is there anything more to tell than what you told me last night?"

Elsa & Sieghard, 25th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    "Putbad is a remarkable place to see for the first time," said Leona, with a polite smile. "I hope your stay here will be as memorable."

"I understand that Herr Ardelean has some... business propositions for my husband the Count," she continued. "As you know, Eberhard is with his allies in the Downlands at the moment, but I will be happy to listen to your proposals for him. Tomorrow, when you have rested, of course. Eberhard wouldn't want to interfere with a young bride's pilgrimage." There definitely seemed to be something knowing about the way Leona was playing along with the pretence. "Tonight, if you please, I believe we have a dinner here at the guildhouse that you would be very welcome to attend."
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-08 at 01:40 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #132
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert picked uneasily at the breakfast. "My, uh companions have not sent word? I think it might have been better had they been here, they have after all been busy helping me..."

He sighed. "Some paper and parchment, an inkwell and a quill please Herr Forkbeard." Assuming such where provided he began setting out his investigations in writing.

Your Grace,

The red leaf of which Crimson Shade is the byproduct is grown and harvested in the village of Isolici. Balthus Bianco, the Tilean's court physician appears to be the main overseer of the business though he resides mostly in Mannan's Keep. The leaf is stored in Mirino, then transported to Caerfort. From there 'swamp skimmers' take it by raft and small boat across the Mere to Ravenskird. Here the trail becomes harder to trace but my companions and are certain Captain Sandu of the Green Dragon and perhaps other river traders are involved.

The most vulnerable point is Isolici, where a determined attack could wipe out the trees. My personal recommendation is discretely sending a force of arsonists for this purpose. However should such an attack not be an option there are other possibilities; if the riverboat captains are involved bribing them (or even one of their crew) for information would be helpful-'

He paused in his writing, hesitated, then looked up. "Herr Forkbeard, do you know of anything unusual concerning Kelda Wave-Born?"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Well." Ludo said, after taking some time to recover. "That didn't go too badly, in the end."

He stretched - lying on the ground had hurt his back. Still, it was probably a lucky escape.

Once Viggo had stopped swearing and come round to the same conclusion, he headed back into town, searching first for a waterspout to drink and wash his clothes, and after that Adelbert. The last place they'd planned to meet was the Duke. He could go there and start asking if Adelbert had stayed there last night. Except discretely, because apparently asking around was suspicious now.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've been very casual about tracking Ludo's money, and how much he carries on him, taking out large purchases but assuming day-to-day living and his Thorns income basically balance each other out. Would you accept a roll? Say, (2d10)[10] GP? Some lucky urchin just robbed two of the Kheneb five.

Gossip roll for the duke to track Adelbert: (1d100)[99] vs 57.

Also to clarify - Ludo's grouchiness is IC - I enjoyed our little dalliance with iron-nose.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

24th Jahrdrung

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "No word," said Forkbeard, unconcerned. "I believe we had this discussion last night, mm? You can go find them once we are done here."

"Herr Forkbeard, do you know of anything unusual concerning Kelda Wave-Born?"
    "Rorik's, mm, singer woman? I believe there is a great deal said about her. Mostly by Count Groz's soldiers." He gave a sigh of his own. "If it weren't for mine and Commander Jager's efforts at - mhm, diplomacy - I believe there would have been blood spilt on the streets by now. The Norscans are thieves, the Norscans are rapists, the Norscans are sacrificing infants to the Dark Gods... that sort of thing." He turned the page of a ledger, running his eye down the columns of figures. "Her in particular I have heard called a witch, a mutant, a shapeshifter... I think perhaps they find the women a preferable target to the men." He lifted his eyes to Adelbert again. "Why?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You missed Forkbeard's question in the previous post.

Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    There was no sign of Adelbert at the Duke, or at least as far as the bedraggled pair could find before they were discreetly ejected. It seemed he had never made it to their rendezvous.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #135

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert hesitated, running things through his mind, eventually ending with a: "I think she might helpful if we do strike the red leaf crop in Isolici. Is she in the city?"

He gently lay down his quill. "As for your other question about Sforza's agents I regret there is no more I can tell you there; I recieved word that several men matching descriptions of Sforza's soldiers left Mannan's Keep for undisclosed reasons and traveled here aboard Sandu's ship from where they boarded another vessel bound for the Putbad. From what little we managed to learn at the docks they were escorting someone to Putbad. All is else is guesswork I'm afraid, even the identity of the person or perhaps persons being escorted but the sheer secrecy points to something extremely delicate. I would recommend bringing in Sandu, but you are right, it is better to let Sforza think we don't suspect anything. My companions were also snooping around the docks, at least last night. It is not impossible they have discovered more while I was here."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, answered here.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course. We thank you for your hospitality," said Elsa, hiding her disappointment that the "business dealings" could not be discussed today. Though they had reached their destination, she still felt that time was of the essence, especially if they hoped to make a safe trip back to Manann's Keep. "I trust we can come to a beneficial arrangement between our respective husbands."

A smile played on her lips. A game-changing alliance between lords was about to be negotiated by two women. Back in the Empire, such a thing would have been unthinkable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I hope he's okay." Ludo said. "I suppose the best place to look is the castle... though we'd best not be seen headed there. Hmm."

His first plan was to find an urchin, describe Adelbert, and instruct the child to wait outside the castle until Adelbert emerged, and then give him a letter. This would be quite a hard sell, given that he had no money left, but given what he'd talked himself out of yesterday should probably be possible.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've not put too much detail in IC in case these rolls go ass-up but: Ludo is going to find a street-kid and give them this letter:

Adelbert,

Lots to discuss! We're alright but leaving town. Meet us outside the river road gate as soon as you can.

Ludo

P.S: Give whoever delivered this letter a few schillings. We were robbed. Will pay you back.

He's going to try and persuade that child to hang around outside the castle looking for Adelbert (who he'll describe), explaining that Adelbert will pay: [roll]1d100/roll] charm vs 67
    Re-roll: [roll]1d100/roll] charm vs 67

If that seems to work, he'll do as the letter says - head out into the downlands a little way outside the river road gate and wait there.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

24th Jahrdrung

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Forkbeard looked sharply up at Adelbert. "Last night I asked you specifically whether these, mm, individuals had any information you didn't. You said no." He raised his eyebrows. "Now you are saying they might?"

Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    With some strategic implications that Adelbert was a very rich man and liked showering money on couriers, Ludo found he had little difficulty in getting his message away. Once the boy he entrusted with it had run out of sight, he and Viggo headed south for the city gates.

25th Jahrdrung

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm sure we will," said Leona.

Putting a hand on one of the high-backed chairs for support, she stepped aside and motioned to the men behind her. "These are the esteemed masters of the River Guilds. You'll excuse me if I don't accompany you today - I'm finding I need to rest my feet." She nodded to the guide who had brought them from the falls. "Sebastian has secured you accommodation for your stay - he'll show you to your rooms. I will see you again at dinner."
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-09 at 12:16 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #139

BlackDragon

24th Jahrdrung

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert tried to stay patient and overcome his natural urge to slap the Chancellor for his impudence.

"Herr Forkbeard, consider it from their perspective; I never arrived at my rendervous with my companions and you did not allow me to send for them here. Given I seemingly vanished they might well have assumed that that I was kidnapped by Sandu and his crew. In fact since they seemingly have not approached the castle this morning, a place they knew I was going to, they probably assumed the worst. Therefore they likely spent more time watching his vessel, though - I hope - they'll have realised by now that I'm not aboard the Green Dragon. Still it is just vaguely possible they have seen something since then. Had they instead come here, as I requested they be allowed to, they would have no other information than I have given you, as still might be the case."

He raised an eyebrow of his own. "Herr Forkbeard... I don't quite understand what you expect me to know here."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    As Forkbeard listened, his right eyebrow inched higher and higher, until it seemed likely to leap off his head entirely.

"You never told me you had a rendezvous to keep," he said. "But if I understand correctly, you are saying that the first assumption these, mhm, friends of yours would make on observing you weren't there, is that you had been, mm, kidnapped?" He squinted at Adelbert. "Do you mean to say that this Captain Sandu knows you have been watching him? You, in particular," he said, pointing to Adelbert to make himself clear. "That he would be, mm, likely to kidnap you?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-09 at 02:43 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #141

BlackDragon

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked at Forkbeard in bafflement.

"Herr Chancellor, I assumed it was obvious that I intended to meet my companions again last night. You will recall I said I should bring them here and then asked you if there was a discrete way of doing so? You were the one who insisted on secrecy and that I should not venture out again. Now, at the time I reluctantly went along with that as I expected my companions to have sent a message here, if not last night then at least this morning. As apparently no such message has arrived then I can only suppose they suspect something untoward happened. Sandu would then be the obvious culprit... the only culprit in fact."

He frowned, a gnawing feeling of concern starting to get to him.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    "Herr Schreiber, you haven't answered the question," said Forkbeard - leaning forward in his seat, ledgers forgotten. "Does this Sandu know you're on to him?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-09 at 03:16 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #143

BlackDragon

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert nearly bit his own tongue to keep his annoyance under check. He might not have said it in so many words but why couldn't this infuriating man grasp the fact that Adelbert had made clear any interaction between Sandu and them could only have taken place after his absence?

"To the best of my knowledge no, but as I told you, I have no idea what has taken place while I have been waiting here."
    [/QUOTE]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Forkbeard made an exasperated noise in the back of his throat. “Then this whole thing is conjecture! If they assumed you were kidnapped, if they kept watch on the boat, if they saw something… mmh. Can we constrain ourselves to the facts, please.” He turned back to his books. “Your friends are adults, hm? I’m sure they can look after themselves.”

Closing the ledger in front of him with a thump, he glanced towards the door. “His Grace should be here soon. Remember, when he arrives – just the facts.”

Sure enough, within minutes Adelbert heard footsteps coming down the hall. The door opened, and Eugen Jager stepped in, holding the door for the Duke. A couple of guards remained outside.

“Schreiber,” said Alvarr, looking coolly at Adelbert. He glanced briefly at Forkbeard. “I had heard it suggested you were dead. I’m glad to see that’s not the case.”

Jager drew up a chair, and Alvarr sat down in it. “Janus says you have information for us. About some connection between Sforza and Count Groz.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #145

BlackDragon

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert kept his temper and nerves in check, simply nodding at Forkbeard's words.

When the Duke arrived he gave a quick bow. "Yes Your Grace. Several soldiers known to belong to Sforza left Mannan's Keep a few days ago. I myself did not witness this event but informants did and I am friends with two junior officer's in one of the Tilean's local company's who are loyal to our cause. They were able to confirm that these soldiers, perhaps half a dozen with an officer, left the keep escorting someone who appeared to be a civilian, possibly a woman; they were apparently cloaked at the time but cut a slim figure. Unfortunately I was unable to get any reliable description of the person being escorted but I strongly suspect he or she to be a member of the Tilean's court."

"This party traveled north by horseback, passing through Painford and stopping in Ravenskird. In Ravenskird they took passage on the Green Dragon riverboat. This was on the morning of 22nd Jahrdrung - I have a description from a source in Ravenskird confirming they boarded the ship. I arrived in the village with the two junior officers I mentioned earlier, unfortunately too late to see the vessel. However knowing they were heading north we rode on, bound for here."

"At this point Your Grace I frankly wondered if the intention was to assassinate yourself and this mystery figure being 'escorted' was an assassin. However when we finally reached Savonne yesterday evening careful questioning revealed that this strange party had boarded the Dancing Jenny bound for Putbad. They sailed some hours before I reached the docks, though at least as of last night the Green Dragon was still here."

"I will be the first to admit that is not much to go on, especially as I have been forced to rely on second hand accounts. However the facts as I know them are suggestive: half a dozen soldiers sent to escort someone to Putbad, on an enterprise so secret my allies, themselves in one of Sforza's companies could find no further information on that mission. A mystery person, certainly a civilian, perhaps a woman, being guarded by Sforza's own soldiers. The logical conclusion is that this trip - whatever it's objective - was authorized by the Tilean. It is just vaguely possible he wants something in Putbad, but my personal suspicion is that it is an embassy to Count Groz... and given the party took ship almost immediately for Putbad I suspect it is not a surprise embassy."
    Last edited by RossN; 2017-07-09 at 04:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    The three men listened to Adelbert's account in silence - even if Forkbeard had heard it before.

"Of course, an assassination attempt on the Count should not be ruled out either," the Chancellor volunteered, after Adelbert had stopped talking. "But as Herr Schreiber says, the boat was bound for Putbad, and Count Groz is, mm, not there." He ran his fingers through his long beard. "If this is some secret communication, then the presence of such a large party rather than a single messenger would imply to me that this is not their first contact on the subject."

"So Sforza thinks he can buy Groz," said Alvarr, darkly. "How very true to form."

"Count Groz is quite wealthy in his own right," Forkbeard said. "And the Tilean's coffers can't be bottomless. Herr Schreiber, to your knowledge, were the party on the Jenny carrying anything with them? Anything that could contain some sizeable quantity of gold?"

"Groz won't need gold," said Jager. "The opportunity to be rid of us. That's what the Captain will offer him." He looked around at the others, perhaps sensing that he should explain himself further. "His men hate Rorik's, and Rorik hates him. He's taken his whole retinue with him on this hunting trip just to keep them out of harm's way. As long as he stands with us, he has to deal with the Norscans breathing down his neck."

Forkbeard nodded slowly along. "Sforza sends word that if Groz, mm, switches sides, they can defeat the both of us together," he said. "Promises him an end to his Norscan troubles, and some greater share of land and plunder than he currently has." He looked to the Duke. "It's plausible. We know the Count has had, mm... flexible loyalties in the past."

"If he thinks to profit from them now, his only reward will be a dagger in the back," was Alvarr's response. "Sforza is a viper. Treachery is in his nature."

"We could, mm, represent that to him?"

"No. If we show that we know then we show our hand." Alvarr drummed his fingers on the arm of the chair. "Where do the dwarfs stand with regard to the Count?"

"Now that they have reclaimed their hold, their common cause is at an end," said Forkbeard. "Although they may still regard themselves as in his debt, for helping them drive out the elf."

"They should think themselves in my debt as much as his," said Alvarr. "Belehir would still rule here if their grudge had been left to Groz alone."

"Perhaps so, my lord," said Forkbeard, meekly. "But the minds of dwarfs are, mm, strange."

Alvarr remained silent, thinking. At last, he spoke.

"This news should not leave this room," he said. "I will reflect on what is to be done. In the meantime, I want to know everything there is to know about this mission to Putbad."

"Sforza's men do have a considerable head start," said Forkbeard. "Catching them up would not be easy... still less identifying them from among the people of the town." He stroked his beard in slow consideration. "But any bargain they propose would surely have to be approved by the Count. His location we know. We could set a spy to shadow the hunt, intercept his letters..."

"See it done," said Alvarr. "And double our patrols to the south. If the Tilean is preparing any other surprises for us, I want to know." This to Jager - once the watch commander had saluted and left the room, he turned back to Forkbeard. "Janus, I want you to arrange for Groz's chambers here to be searched. Quietly."

"Of course, your Grace."

"It would appear you've brought us vital news once again, Schreiber," said Alvarr. "I wish I was more glad to hear it."
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-09 at 04:53 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #147

BlackDragon

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm afraid I don't know for sure if the party was carrying anything Herr Forkbeard, though I doubt it. They traveled by horse to Ravenskird rather than by cart."

Adelbert nodded unhappily at the Duke's words. "I wish it was better news. The Tilean is a wily foe Your Grace."

He was quiet for a long moment. "Your Grace... you mentioned the dwarfs. Do you think that with all the cleverness of their kind they would able to collapse one or both of the Tilean's mines? While it would not destroy his wealth it would surely weaken him - both in material and reputation."
    Last edited by RossN; 2017-07-09 at 06:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa politely greeted the guild masters; she cared little about them, but "Lady Ardelean" was here on business, after all. She and her retinue then followed Sebastian to their accommodations. Perhaps she should have her maid touch up her makeup before dinner.

"Lady Groz seems lovely," she commented to Sebastian on the way, not expecting much of an answer from him beyond dutiful platitudes. "I'm sure your lord's trust in her is well-placed."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did Leona's demeanor and way of address make it clear whether Elsa alone was invited to the dinner, or her whole retinue?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

24th Jahrdrung

Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    Forkbeard scoffed. "I'm sure they could,"he said. "Whether they would... that is, mm, an altogether different question." He shuffled some of the papers in front of him. "No, I think if we want to lighten Sforza's pockets, this information you have given us on the Shade trade is our best opportunity." He looked to the Duke. "Herr Schreiber has supplied us with some very detailed accounts of the Tilean's involvement with the Crimson Shade. I believe it may be a very substantial source of revenue for him. We are drawing up plans to, mm, disrupt his chain of supply."

"That is better news," said Alvarr. "We'll see how loyal his army of sellswords truly are, when the money runs out."

"Quite," said Forkbeard. He drew Adelbert's written account towards him. "Herr Schreiber has set down the details for us here. We should have time to, mm, develop our plans. But the emissaries to Putbad are the more pressing matter."

He looked back to Adelbert and raised an eyebrow. "Herr Schreiber, have you had any, mm, past encounters with the Count? We will need eyes on him as we discussed."

25th Jahrdrung

Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "She is well liked," said Sebastian, although his own tone of voice was neutral. "If you'll follow me, the house is this way."

Their rooms were in a grand townhouse very close to the guild hall - it looked like a private residence, but from the sign of the scales carved into the lintel and worked into the latticework of the windows, it seemed the guilds had acquired it some time ago. Elsa and Luisa were shown to a richly-appointed room on the upper floor, while Sieghard and his guards were given servant's quarters below-stairs. It seemed a little odd to Elsa that they seemed to be so much the guest of the guildmasters, rather than Count Groz himself - but as far as she had seen, there was no fortress or palace in Putbad that served as a seat of the Count's power. The guildhouse and the monastery were the two largest buildings in town.

Later in the evening, when they had had time to settle in, Sebastian returned to tell them that the other guests were assembling for dinner. Making their way back to the guildhouse, they were shown into a grand dining hall that, like the rest of the building, looked as if it had once been more splendidly furnished than it was now. The long dining table and its many chairs now looked a little lonely in the cavernous space – from their intricate carvings, Elsa thought they looked as if they might have been made in Elmwood.

One by one, Elsa introduced herself or was introduced to the guildmasters and other local dignitaries who were filing in to take their places. Putting names to the faces she had seen with Leona seemed like a valuable exercise, and there were plenty of them – the heads of the coopers’ guild, the tailors’ guild, the wheelwright’s guild – but she feared she would be able to remember precious few in ten minutes’ time. For the most part, the guild men greeted her politely, but showed no more than a passing curiosity about her presence. None of them seemed to have heard of Herr Ardelean before – the only person in Manann’s Keep that any of them seemed to know was Stefan Sussman, with two or three of them asking after his health.

Aside from the guild masters, there were four others present who Elsa didn’t recognise. The first was a white-bearded, tonsured fellow in a monastic habit of blue and grey, who Sebastian introduced as Abbot Tomas of the Azrillite monastery. The second was a young man with fair hair, a neatly-trimmed beard and smiling blue eyes. He wasted no time in introducing himself to Elsa with a deep bow and a white-toothed smile, calling himself Pieter Hagendorf - “of Count Groz’s own”.

The last two were a man and a woman. The man was tall and well-built, with a square chin, a courteous manner, and hair that had begun greying at the temples some years ago. The way he carried himself reminded Elsa of the military men one used to see around the palace district in Altdorf – she remembered a drinking acquaintance of hers saying you could recognise an officer in the Reiksguard by how they all walked as if they had a lance inserted up their arse. The woman was younger, with dark hair pulled back in a braid behind her head, and such a stern and unsmiling expression that Elsa wondered for a moment if she had already done something to offend her. Small and svelte, Sieghard might ordinarily have found her quite attractive, if not for the prickle of warning instinct that crawled across the back of his neck when their eyes crossed. Despite her formal manners, to his soldier’s senses, something about this woman screamed danger.

The man introduced himself as Jurgen Falkenwald; the woman simply as Gunda. What they did or why they were present, they gave no indication – although from their accents, Elsa thought them both Imperials, the same as Hagendorf. Gunda, Elsa noticed, was dressed in rather practical, masculine clothing for such an esteemed gathering, including breeches and boots. Irene would have been outraged.

Leona was last to arrive, warmly greeting the assembled company before allowing one of the guildmasters to help her into her chair. Elsa noticed she paid particular attention to the Abbot and Falkenwald, as well as herself – when they took their places, she was seated at the Countess’ immediate left, while a guildmaster named Tobar took the seat on the right of Count Groz’s vacant chair.

As the food began to arrive, the Abbot stood and spoke a short blessing, the assembled company bowing their heads in silence. When the prayer was done, the merchants of Putbad began pouring the wine and shovelling food onto their plates. Leona joined in with enthusiasm – she was eating for two, after all.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It’s up to you whether you bring the Thorns into the dining hall – if you do, they’ll have to stand behind the table with the other servants. If you’d rather spare their feet they can go and get something to eat in the kitchens.

This dinner is going to be mostly small talk and pleasantries, so I don’t plan to make too long a thing out of it, but you should use it as an opportunity to make any approaches or enquiries you want to find your footing with this new bunch of NPCs. It’s also your opportunity to make a first impression, so details of Elsa’s preparations and behaviour at the dinner would be useful. Remember, anything that represents an attempt to influence an NPC’s opinion of you or to get something non-trivial out of them is best accompanied by a test against a social skill.
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-10 at 08:21 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #150

BlackDragon

24th Jahrdrung - Adelbert

Spoiler
    Show
    "I... met him briefly Herr Forkbeard when I was here in Savonne with some of the Tilean's officers as His Grace's guests. I doubt he'd remember one young priest save for the fact we are countrymen." He paused, uncertainly. "Do you want me to try and gain his confidence as a civilian?"

Past encounters... wait... does he mean Count Groz enjoys the company of men in the, ahem, manner of the Classical Luccinians?
    Last edited by RossN; 2017-07-10 at 09:07 PM.