New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

I've heard that in some rural places in the south,"y'all" or "you all" can be singular or plural. "All y'all" is the collective.

Here in Texas, "you all" doesn't exist. "You" is singular", but "y'all" is used for both the plural and when number is indeterminate. "Why don't you come on over tonight. Bring Mary if she can make it. Y'all can show up about seven." That makes people think it can be the singular.

But there's one more distinction to be made:

"Why don't you come on over tonight," is an invitation issued to an individual.
    "Why don't y'all come on over tonight," is an invitation to the couple or the family of the person being addressed.
    "In fact, why don't all y'all come over" extends the invitation to the entire group listening.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Warning!

Spoiler: a full bore "get off my lawn" middle-aged rant coming on!
    Show

Why have some young adults decided to use an acronym with "Justice" in it as a slur?

...with the blessing of the SJWs, obviously..

I first come across the initials "SJW" in this Forum, and my having to "Google" the meaning only to find out that it stands for "Social Justice Warrior", and that it's a slur is one of the reasons I often no-longer "Google" many of the unfamiliar words and phrases that I see in this Forum, because of how angry finding that out has made me.

As I posted on the first thread I saw the initials "SJW" on, my grandparents very much were warriors for social justice, and I'm grateful that they and so many of that generation struggled to make a better world.

No joke.

Please find another way than "SJW" to convey whatever it is you're trying to communicate.

I'll go further, and say that I'm extremely disappointed as well as angry that a generation has decided to make up a slur of "Justice".
    What's next insulting people by calling them medics and lifesavers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    "SJWs" now...
    ...just listen for a few minutes about how colleges should have days where.

Okay, based on the activities of some overzealous adolescents in sheltered isolated enclaves, I will now (barely) forgive how "SJW" is often used if the word "some" and "collegiate" are used first and quotation marks are put all around!
    Otherwise it still ticks me off.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Why have some young adults decided to use an acronym with "Justice" in it as a slur?
    Because some people are anti-justice.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

It's not the "justice" part that's the insult - it's the "warrior". The insult is accusing people of inflating their own impact on the world when what they're doing really doesn't have any importance and is just wasting everyone's time.

Of course, people now apply it to people who are doing good things because they believe that doing good things is pointless (or that the things they're doing somehow aren't good), but, eh.

It's similar to using "white knight" as an insult.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2017-07-02 at 04:03 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    It's not the "justice" part that's the insult - it's the "warrior".
    "Man, why didn't any of you become social justice rogues or social justice magi?"

6. - Top - End - #306
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just be happy it isn't social justice monk or social justice bard...

Or SOCIAL JUSTICE TRUENAMER!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #307
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    social justice bard
    The true keyboard warriors.

Or SOCIAL JUSTICE TRUENAMER!
    The true word warriors.

8. - Top - End - #308

Why not just use the liberal/conservative neutral term "propagandist"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #309
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Usually becuse the people using the term aren't neutral.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    "Man, why didn't any of you become social justice rogues or social justice magi?"

Just be happy it isn't social justice monk or social justice bard...

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    The true keyboard warriors.
    SOCIAL JUSTICE TRUENAMER!

The true word warriors!

Cracks me up.

Thanks.

11. - Top - End - #311

person of sanctimony :D
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-07-02 at 09:20 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I've heard that in some rural places in the south,"y'all" or "you all" can be singular or plural. "All y'all" is the collective.

Here in Texas, "you all" doesn't exist. "You" is singular", but "y'all" is used for both the plural and when number is indeterminate. "Why don't you come on over tonight. Bring Mary if she can make it. Y'all can show up about seven." That makes people think it can be the singular.

But there's one more distinction to be made:

"Why don't you come on over tonight," is an invitation issued to an individual.
    "Why don't y'all come on over tonight," is an invitation to the couple or the family of the person being addressed.
    "In fact, why don't all y'all come over" extends the invitation to the entire group listening.
    Yeah, I've always used it as both singular or plural. I've had people around here question it when I did it, though, so I can't attest to how standard/nonstandard it is.

Ain't nobody says "you all" except people from the north trying to sound like people from the south, and doing a bad job of it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Chiming in on the singular y'all: Has anyone seen the Virginia Lottery commercial from a few years back with the lottery fairy going to a woman and asking about "y'all?" I'm having trouble finding it online, but it goes something like this:

LF: So what do you say when you're talking to one person?
    W: Y'all.
    LF: What if it's more than one person?
    W: Still y'all.
    LF: What if it's a whole bunch of people?
    W: Then it's all y'all.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Huh, I was thought that thou was the honorific form of second person singular in english, but it seems y'all are right. And my teachers were anglophones too, I blame Shakespeare. But that actually makes a ton more sense now that I stop to think about it, since you is both singular and plural. IMO having a distinction between respectful second person singular and casual is not really worth it, all you end up with is a ton of confusion regarding when it is proper to use which, sort of like when you start calling someone by their first name only much more awkward to avoid.

Still it's true that not having a distinct second person singular and plural pronoun is a big problem with English, not sure what could be done about it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit #2: I am not sure if I got the question right, what I mean is that you can say vous in French to a single person as a form of respect. This is what the English probably imitated.
    Ah, yes, I understand what you mean now. They took the "using plural you to address single people sometimes" and turned it into "all the time". Indeed an overkill :)

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Huh, I was thought that thou was the honorific form of second person singular in english
    Nope, "you" was the honorific form, "thou" was the more casual form. We think of it as an honorific nowadays because it's old-fashioned. I too used to think it was the other way around until someone corrected me.

16. - Top - End - #316

I think "ye" was the plural form

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #317
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It's less propaganda and more just generally people being ***** to one another online.

Stuff like when people who aren't straight white kids cyberbully other kids and tell them to kill themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Please find another way than "SJW" to convey whatever it is you're trying to communicate.
    "SJW" has become shorthand for "someone I disapprove of, and you should disapprove of too because you're a right-thinking person like me aren't you?" It's become a politically loaded term that's more to do with identifying one's own tribe, than taking pot-shots at the enemy (although it's handy for that too).

There are a few terms like that out there. "MSM", that's another one ("mainstream media", meaning "those media outlets that make some effort to check facts, rather than just uncritically spreading propaganda for one faction"). As a rule of thumb, when you see these terms start to be used on any forum, you can stop reading the thread and miss nothing further of value. Words like "multinationals", anything described as a "complex" or "big [insert industry segment here]" generally work the same way: they're more about signalling to political friends than actually conveying meaning.

This isn't a new phenomenon, but the internet has made it much more obvious - and annoying - than it ever was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Nope, "you" was the honorific form, "thou" was the more casual form. We think of it as an honorific nowadays because it's old-fashioned. I too used to think it was the other way around until someone corrected me.
    "Casual" isn't quite right. After all, think about the context in which people mostly encounter it today (outside of Shakespeare): the King James Bible routinely uses "thou" to address God. (Which is probably where this misapprehension comes from.)

I think "intimate" would be a better word.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    "Casual" isn't quite right. After all, think about the context in which people mostly encounter it today (outside of Shakespeare): the King James Bible routinely uses "thou" to address God. (Which is probably where this misapprehension comes from.)
    Again, it's probably the French influence. If I'm remembering correctly (Lissou, feel free to step in, of course), "tu" (the french "thou") is used to casually address friends & family... and God. There are several ways I could explain the reason for this, but they all involve too much theology to be board-appropriate.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-03 at 05:21 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #320

I think that the explanation can be purely textual: the Gospel is written in Greek, ancient Greek doesn't have forms of respect like vous instead of tu, instead always using tu (sy) as singular, and close translation of the Lord's Prayer translates sy with tu.

Anyway, yes, it is complicated to have forms like these, and it can be awkward when you are becoming intimate with someone to change from a form to the other. Italian once had three different forms, those must have been fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

I think "ye" was the plural form
    No, that's just "the". The old letter for "th" looks kind of like a Y and so people have been using a Y instead when they want to sound old-fashioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Again, it's probably the French influence. If I'm remembering correctly (Lissou, feel free to step in, of course), "tu" (the french "thou") is used to casually address friends & family... and God. There are several ways I could explain the reason for this, but they all involve too much theology to be board-appropriate.

GW
    Yes, you use the informal for of "you" to talk to God (and vice-versa). One way to explain that is that the "polite" you (the plural you) also implies distance and lack of familiarity. If I used "vous" when talking to, say, my dad, it would be the equivalent of saying "You're a stranger to me". I think the same kind of logic is why you use "tu" for this purpose.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

I have always thought that the fact that you don't have a.. honorific form for "you" and you'll say you to your boss, your dad, your mates or the bloke who just sideswiped your car makes things somewhat simpler for people who live in English speaking countries.
    In Italy, like in France, when we're talking to figures of authority, strangers or generically being polite, we can't use the tu; we'll use the voi (plural for you, much like the French vous), or the lei (which is third person singular, which has the extra complication for a foreigner because in a literal sense it translates as "she")... and picking which one to use is mostly a matter of regional habit, whether you're from the south or north of Italy.
    It increases the distance between the people talking.
    I've been living together with my girlfriend for a year now. She still insists on using the formal "lei" with my parents and my dad's wife. They've all asked her to stop it. She both can't (conditioning? education?) and won't, because she doesn't want to get too familiar, on account of us already living right next to them. Now, my parents don't know her ulterior motive, so they're baffled that she still does this.

On another note, I often think with my English hat on when I'm playing DnD, one reason being that I tend to look up spells and feats on the internet, invariably in English... so whenever we interact with either a god or a ruler of some description, I will use a modicum of flattery and formality, except I'll forget to use the "voi" or the "lei" (Voi is more fitting to the scenes, lei being a bit more modern)... and the DM will immediately chastise my character for it...
    So it happens that my high ranking cleric of Bahamut gets regularly interrupted and scolded, to be then overlooked for the rest of the conversation unless he has something critical to contribute, and even then he's looked down upon for being uncouth and disrespectful.
    In other words, this minor issue is actually cramping my gaming
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

23. - Top - End - #323
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't have so much a problem with misuses since I indulge in them myself(for example, with the word "bizarre"), however, what really grinds my gears is people F'ing up simple things.

Like people who write "fuan" instead of "faun", or "golum" instead of "golem".
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

No, that's just "the". The old letter for "th" looks kind of like a Y and so people have been using a Y instead when they want to sound old-fashioned.

Yes, you use the informal for of "you" to talk to God (and vice-versa). One way to explain that is that the "polite" you (the plural you) also implies distance and lack of familiarity. If I used "vous" when talking to, say, my dad, it would be the equivalent of saying "You're a stranger to me". I think the same kind of logic is why you use "tu" for this purpose.
    Funnily enough, my grandad is adressed with vous (well.. the Dutch equivalent) by his daughters, and with you/tu (again, adjust for language) by me.
    It's a form of respect that I always ascribed to a generational thing (grandad is 97, mom's 66) as in, that's how it was done back in the day..
    but in the last few years my siblings have also started to adress grandpa formally, again out of respect; as much as I respect and love the old man, I still can't bring myself to do the same and will occasionally trip myself up trying to decide which form to use.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Nope.

"Ye" (actually pronounced with the "y" in "you") is a singular second person pronoun. There was a time when "you" was only plural, and singular was either "ye" or "thou".

There's still some dialects in middle to northern England that uses one or even both of "ye" and "thou", although it's becoming vanishingly rare lately.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2017-07-03 at 08:07 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

GW
    I don't know how it is in the actual catholic bible since I haven't cracked one open in 20 years but both the Lord's prayer and the hail Mary use "vous" in French, and generally people addressing God in movies do that as well. That might be a catholic/reform thing though, so let's leave it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

27. - Top - End - #327

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Nope.

"Ye" (actually pronounced with the "y" in "you") is a singular second person pronoun. There was a time when "you" was only plural, and singular was either "ye" or "thou".

There's still some dialects in middle to northern England that uses one or even both of "ye" and "thou", although it's becoming vanishingly rare lately.
    Ye was to you as me is to I or thee is to thou. Although looking it up, it seems to have been used as both the nominative and objective form, so there is more going on. Nevertheless, historically it was a plural, not singular, pronoun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

"Ye" is still used in the Lowland Scots language, which is a sibling language to English (another sibling is West Frisian), sometimes considered a dialect, sometimes a seperate language (like Creole French).
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    It's less propaganda and more just generally people being ***** to one another online.

Stuff like when people who aren't straight white kids cyberbully other kids and tell them to kill themselves.
    oh, pathoinforming, disinformation that causes physical damage.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I have always thought that the fact that you don't have a.. honorific form for "you" and you'll say you to your boss, your dad, your mates or the bloke who just sideswiped your car makes things somewhat simpler for people who live in English speaking countries.
    In Italy, like in France, when we're talking to figures of authority, strangers or generically being polite, we can't use the tu; we'll use the voi (plural for you, much like the French vous), or the lei (which is third person singular, which has the extra complication for a foreigner because in a literal sense it translates as "she")... and picking which one to use is mostly a matter of regional habit, whether you're from the south or north of Italy.
    It increases the distance between the people talking.
    I've been living together with my girlfriend for a year now. She still insists on using the formal "lei" with my parents and my dad's wife. They've all asked her to stop it. She both can't (conditioning? education?) and won't, because she doesn't want to get too familiar, on account of us already living right next to them. Now, my parents don't know her ulterior motive, so they're baffled that she still does this.

On another note, I often think with my English hat on when I'm playing DnD, one reason being that I tend to look up spells and feats on the internet, invariably in English... so whenever we interact with either a god or a ruler of some description, I will use a modicum of flattery and formality, except I'll forget to use the "voi" or the "lei" (Voi is more fitting to the scenes, lei being a bit more modern)... and the DM will immediately chastise my character for it...
    So it happens that my high ranking cleric of Bahamut gets regularly interrupted and scolded, to be then overlooked for the rest of the conversation unless he has something critical to contribute, and even then he's looked down upon for being uncouth and disrespectful.
    In other words, this minor issue is actually cramping my gaming
    i majored in japanese - 4yrs of it. the entire thrid year was devoted to teaching us how to recongize social status (honor, right) and use the correct language. they actually brought in this wizened old japanese man who made sculptres from tree roots for us to honor and bow to. he exuded zen.