New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Or to use 'football' for association football?
    "Stop calling it soccer over here!" - People who started calling it soccer over there.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #872
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    "Stop calling it soccer over here!" - People who started calling it soccer over there.
    I'm reasonably certain that the "football" moniker was adopted from the French. I have no idea what the British got in exchange, but I hope it was worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

It's obviously a British word. No American would ever have abbreviated "association" to "socca" and then spelled it with an "-er" ending.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that the "football" moniker was adopted from the French. I have no idea what the British got in exchange, but I hope it was worth it.
    Considering how long we've been fighting and uh... that other word beginning with f, for so long that it was probably compensation for breaking our hearts, the evil bastards.

Spoiler: context
    Show
    I went out with a French girl a while back, did some stupid stuff, and she Brooke up with me. Without the decency to do it to my face, and knowing that I had stopped doing it.

What makes it worse was that the last straw was uploading a picture of her to Facebook.
    Which I took down as soon as she asked me to I might add. Grumble grumble evil witch.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #875

Considering how long we've been fighting and uh... that other word beginning with f, for so long that it was probably compensation for breaking our hearts, the evil bastards.
    That reminds me of high school. Benedictine monks, really cool people. Anyway, the biology teacher taught us about the three F's in nature - fighting, fleeing, and mating. Funny guy.

6. - Top - End - #876

That reminds me of high school. Benedictine monks, really cool people. Anyway, the biology teacher taught us about the three F's in nature - fighting, fleeing, and mating. Funny guy.
    I'm fairly certain it is the 4 F's. You forgot "feeding".
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

7. - Top - End - #877

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm fairly certain it is the 4 F's. You forgot "feeding".
    Eh, high school was a while ago and bio was never terribly interesting. But yeah, you're right.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is a country that consists of four countries, England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
    This is the standard definition but I have become increasingly sceptical about the use of the term "country" to define the internal divisions, not least because it doesn't seem consistent with general usage elsewhere (we don't refer to Sicily or Aragon or Brittany as "countries", for instance).

Spoiler: Waffle
    Show
    Really I think the most appropriate term might be "region", in practical terms. As countries or states the Kingdoms of England and Scotland were each abolished in 1707 and the Kingdom of Ireland in 1801. Wales had been a part of the Kingdom of England for centuries previously. Northern Ireland is, I believe, legally a "province". If Wales is to be included on the basis of the largely titular Principality then I feel there is a strong argument that Cornwall should be too.

Nor are any of the four really "nations". There is no ethno-linguistic homogeneity in any of them, even excluding 20th-century immigration from consideration: each has at least two "native" languages ("native" in this instance taken as having been spoken in the region since the creation of the UK). Culturally the Lowlands probably have more in common with the English south than they do with the outer Isles or the Shetlands; Monmouthshire more in common with Gloucestershire than with Powys, and most of rural England more in common with rural Wales or Scotland than with London. (Ironically the most culturally consistent part of the UK might be NI, but then again, lol.)

But then I fear this might be one of the curses of this country, to endlessly debate its own nature rather than doing anything useful.

And let's not even get into the status of the overseas territories or the crown dependencies...
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

9. - Top - End - #879

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    This is the standard definition but I have become increasingly sceptical about the use of the term "country" to define the internal divisions, not least because it doesn't seem consistent with general usage elsewhere (we don't refer to Sicily or Aragon or Brittany as "countries", for instance).

Show
    Really I think the most appropriate term might be "region", in practical terms. As countries or states the Kingdoms of England and Scotland were each abolished in 1707 and the Kingdom of Ireland in 1801. Wales had been a part of the Kingdom of England for centuries previously. Northern Ireland is, I believe, legally a "province". If Wales is to be included on the basis of the largely titular Principality then I feel there is a strong argument that Cornwall should be too.

Nor are any of the four really "nations". There is no ethno-linguistic homogeneity in any of them, even excluding 20th-century immigration from consideration: each has at least two "native" languages ("native" in this instance taken as having been spoken in the region since the creation of the UK). Culturally the Lowlands probably have more in common with the English south than they do with the outer Isles or the Shetlands; Monmouthshire more in common with Gloucestershire than with Powys, and most of rural England more in common with rural Wales or Scotland than with London. (Ironically the most culturally consistent part of the UK might be NI, but then again, lol.)

But then I fear this might be one of the curses of this country, to endlessly debate its own nature rather than doing anything useful.

And let's not even get into the status of the overseas territories or the crown dependencies...
    Italy and France are there, they use "regions" for their main subdivisions. Personally, I don't worry too much about the words, because they really are just words, and they only mean what the laws say about them. So Germany has States, Italy and France have regions, Spain has autonomous communities and cities, Portugal has districts, Switzerland has Cantons, and so on. You see it especially in Germany, where some States have slightly fancier official names, such as "Free State of Bavaria", but they aren't due to any special rights. They simply chose to call it that way. But German States have far fewer powers than American States. I mean, sure, there is a historical process behind the names, but each of these processes are unique to the countries where they took place. So the regions of Italy and France, while representing an effort towards decentralization, probably pale compared to the autonomy of the regions of Belgium.

I think that the name "country" in the UK could have come from how they used to be different Kingdoms, and then had to be referred to by something else. "Commonwealth" and "State" both sound a lot like "self-governing", while the point was the opposite. "Country" did a good job back then, since it simply meant that the regions existed from a geographic point of view and had differences between each other (like law), and eschewed any political content. Nowadays, it definitely sounds odd. Plus there is the oddity of England, which is administered differently from the other countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #880

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Yeah I was gonna launch into a rant about it but that is very similar to calling a thread pointless. Plus Grammar Nazis are not generally well received, so I take pity. (I almost married an educational English major)
    Worse than grammar nazis are the kind of prescriptivists who go in the oposite direction and insist on the use of niche terms that haven't been universally adopted yet, and/or insist that an extant term must be retired
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

11. - Top - End - #881

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post

Show

I believe the correct term is "administrative division". This use of "country" is analogous to how the USA has similarly misused the word "state" to mean "administrative division"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I believe the correct term is "administrative division". This use of "country" is analogous to how the USA has similarly misused the word "state" to mean "administrative division"

U.K. = One "state", multiple "nations".

U.S.A. = One "nation", multiple "states".

Or something like that.

Also:

A U.K. Red Deer is a U.S.A. Elk, but a U.K. Elk is a U.S.A. Moose.

I think.

A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti.....
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

13. - Top - End - #883
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti.....
    I've seen you do this gag before, and it's really confusing. Is it a reference that I'm not getting?
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I've seen you do this gag before..

Nope.

Never.

Didn't happen.

Not once.

Okay, maybe.

...and it's really confusing. Is it a reference that I'm not getting?

It may possibly, kinda, sorta, well it is from the same wellspring of comedy that the dialog in panel 13 is
    from.

Also a bit related is a certain polearm emporium

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Probably already been mentioned but it drives me nuts when people say "nuke-ya-lerr".

I sincerely don't understand where this comes from.

New-clear I could understand, that fits with how the word is spelled in a somewhat logical way, but what part of "nuclear" suggests there's a "u" sound in between the "c" and "l"?

PLEASE STOP.

16. - Top - End - #886

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Nope.
    Yup.

Never.
    Lies.

Didn't happen.
    Yes it did.

Not once.
    Lies.

Okay, maybe.
    There you go! I believe it's in the current Random Banter thread somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation
    Last edited by AuthorGirl; 2018-05-10 at 01:13 PM.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

17. - Top - End - #887

Yup.

Lies.

Yes it did.

Lies.

There you go! I believe it's in the current Random Banter thread somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation
    We apologise for the fault in the post. Those responsible have been*sacked.

18. - Top - End - #888

I've seen you do this gag before, and it's really confusing. Is it a reference that I'm not getting?
    I think it's from Monty Python

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

[...]thanks for the explanation

You're very welcome.

I think it's from Monty Python

Oh where's the sport in that?

20. - Top - End - #890

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    It's obviously a British word. No American would ever have abbreviated "association" to "socca" and then spelled it with an "-er" ending.
    But if it was truly British wouldn't it be "soccre"? They spell the "er" sound "-re" in England, at least when it's at the end of a word.

Omegaupdate Forum

21. - Top - End - #891

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Probably already been mentioned but it drives me nuts when people say "nuke-ya-lerr".

I sincerely don't understand where this comes from.

New-clear I could understand, that fits with how the word is spelled in a somewhat logical way, but what part of "nuclear" suggests there's a "u" sound in between the "c" and "l"?

PLEASE STOP.
    SO that's where people writing nuculear come from...
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

But if it was truly British wouldn't it be "soccre"? They spell the "er" sound "-re" in England, at least when it's at the end of a word.
    That's only when it's a French loanword. "-er" at the end of a word is very common.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Look, it's not our fault that you all forgot how to spell when you went over that ocean. Such as believing there's no 'u' sound in colour. It's like you forgot half the language as well, you lot all seem to be unable to remember the words pavement or courgette.

As a side note, my French ex (...alright, only ex) thought it was hilarious when I corrected her use of the word zucchini. She didn't realise that the English also call courgettes courgettes.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Look, it's not our fault that you all forgot how to spell when you went over that ocean. Such as believing there's no 'u' sound in colour. It's like you forgot half the language as well, you lot all seem to be unable to remember the words pavement or courgette.

As a side note, my French ex (...alright, only ex) thought it was hilarious when I corrected her use of the word zucchini. She didn't realise that the English also call courgettes courgettes.
    I'll admit to not knowing the second word (does it mean zucchini, as your second paragraph indicates?) but pavement is a perfectly common word here in the USA.

25. - Top - End - #895

Look, it's not our fault that you all forgot how to spell when you went over that ocean. Such as believing there's no 'u' sound in colour.l.
    Nobody here doesn't believe theres no U sound in color. But you guys were the ones who said, "let's put the letter U in the part of the word that doesn't have the U sound."

26. - Top - End - #896

Nobody here doesn't believe theres no U sound in color. But you guys were the ones who said, "let's put the letter U in the part of the word that doesn't have the U sound."
    You're saying that you spell it "cullor"?

27. - Top - End - #897

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I'll admit to not knowing the second word (does it mean zucchini, as your second paragraph indicates?) but pavement is a perfectly common word here in the USA.
    A quick internet search shows that courgette typically means zucchini. The two terms are of approximately the same age (1925 - 1930), one being borrowed from french the other from itallian.

A similar search shows that the British often use pavement to mean sidewalk, i.e. the raised, paved verge of a road where pedestrians typically walk. It would be as sensible to complain about the elevator/lift or jumper/sweater divide.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ettin in the Playground

...No, but that is a pretty apt demonstration of how it gets said. It really is the the combined sounds of "cull" and "or," at least around where I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

29. - Top - End - #899

Not at all. But I'm also not the one ribbing about other dialects not having a U in it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-05-10 at 08:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

Not at all. But I'm also not the one complaining* about other dialects not having a U in it.

*I know it's light hearted, I just can't think of a better word for it. And there is probably a better word for it.
    I like the vaguely Brittish "ribbing."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text