New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Neither of the definitions you give mean "berserker" the way D&D uses it, which is the only argument I've seen here recently about the meaning of "barbarian". A character class called barbarian should either be an outsider or just an uneducated person with low social skills. That's not much to build a class around.
    "Fighter" doesn't mean "armored warrior" the way D&D uses it either. Words can change meaning depending on context. Barbarian in D&D has a different meaning than when I grip about having to drive my wife's car and say, "now I have to use a physical key to start it like a barbarian." If your argument is based on how D&D uses it... well, I don't think you're going to find a lot of support for your position.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    barbarian
    barbarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    "Fighter" Barbarian
    Wait, is there seriously same confusion about what is meant by "Barbarian"?

Well, I think it's pretty clear, but if you must learn:

A Barbarian is someone who wants to get a belly full of beer, doesn't want none of your aggravation, has had it with your discipline, wants to get a little action in, get about as oiled as a diesel train, may use a little muscle to get what they need, and may sink a little drink and shout out she's with me, has a couple of the sounds that they really like, the sounds of a switchblade and a motorbike, is a juvenile product of the working class, whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass, oh is it Saturday? Cause Saturday night's the night I like, and it's alright for fighting.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #933
    Bugbear in the Playground

To me personally barbarian is a title and berserker is the class.

So a barbarian person can be of any class and a berserker can be of any cultural background.

Same with cleric and priest.

Warrior and samurai.

Once, for example, a player of mine played as a priest of the protector god who happened to fight as a berserker. He was calm, polite and civilized but when he got in a fight he became complete lost in rage and fought like an animal using metallic claws.

So one is what you do the other is what you are.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2018-06-02 at 02:16 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    There's nothing wrong with having or using a wide vocabulary. I brought up that one specific word, because it has no apparent use.
    I suppose you also have a similar dislike of "utilize?"

5. - Top - End - #935
    Firbolg in the Playground

Neither of the definitions you give mean "berserker" the way D&D uses it, which is the only argument I've seen here recently about the meaning of "barbarian". A character class called barbarian should either be an outsider or just an uneducated person with low social skills. That's not much to build a class around.
    No but it denotes someone savage and brutish, which fits a warrior who relies on unsubtle tactics and raw strength and anger. If you want to complain about a class name complain about the monk; that one's more or less a complete non-sequitur.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #936
    Banned

"Can't seem to" instead of "Doesn't seem to be able to" annoys me every time. The first means that you're unable to appear as though you're doing the thing. What you actually want to say is that you don't appear to be able to do the thing.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    I suppose you also have a similar dislike of "utilize?"
    I'd usually go with "use" myself, but I don't think that 'utilise' is wholly useless.

8. - Top - End - #938

Monk is a shaolin monk from a monastery in the far East.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #939

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    If you have to qualify it with eight additional words for it's meaning to be clear then it's a poor choice of words. And really even the description you've given is insufficient; it's more like "a shaolin monk from the far east in a TV show from the 1970's". That is an incredibly specific type of monk and not the first thing anybody would think of when they hear the word monk. In fact, it's not even the first thing I would think of even if you specified that they follow an eastern religion, I'd imagine someone more akin to the Dali Lama.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

10. - Top - End - #940

Ok, another gripe I have is when Wikipedia, which is supposed to be worldwide, will often use obscure provincial names for things as the title for its articles, like "Hokey Cokey"

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    If you have to qualify it with eight additional words for it's meaning to be clear then it's a poor choice of words. And really even the description you've given is insufficient; it's more like "a shaolin monk from the far east in a TV show from the 1970's". That is an incredibly specific type of monk and not the first thing anybody would think of when they hear the word monk. In fact, it's not even the first thing I would think of even if you specified that they follow an eastern religion, I'd imagine someone more akin to the Dali Lama.
    Interesting, how you interpreted the post. I couldn't parse the comment, myself. Wasn't sure if they were complaining that "monk" should mean "shaolin monk from the middle far east", or if "monk" is currently used in that sense, and it shouldn't. I.e. did the state the problem, or the solution?

Honestly, devoid of context, I wouldn't think "monk" means "shaolin monk from the middle far east", nor think it should, myself.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-06-05 at 11:16 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #942

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Interesting, how you interpreted the post. I couldn't parse the comment, myself. Wasn't sure if they were complaining that "monk" should mean "shaolin monk from the middle east", or if "monk" is currently used in that sense, and it shouldn't. I.e. did the state the problem, or the solution?
    Glad I wasn't the only one.

13. - Top - End - #943

It's a gripe about terminology in D&D. I meant that "monk", by itself, should NOT be used to mean "Shaolin monk from the far east from a 1970's tv show" (despite the fact that this is how D&D uses it)

And how and why did you both misread "far east" as "middle east"?
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-06-05 at 11:15 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

....t's more like "a shaolin monk from the far east in a TV show from the 1970's". That is an incredibly specific type of monk and not the first thing anybody would think of when they hear the word monk......

Well, thanks to the reruns that were still being broadcast when I first saw the Monk class in the PHB (that I got in '79, a full year after it was published), I and the guys I played D&D with
    Spoiler: knew exactly what TSR meant
    Show

In fact it was a little bit frightening, but they fought with expert timing, and those kicks were fast as lightning

You see they were funky China men from funky Chinatown, and they were chopping them up and they were chopping them down, as it's an ancient Chinese art and everybody knew their part, from a feint into a slip, and kicking from the hip.

Cause everybody was kung-fu fighting,.

There was funky Billy Chin and little Sammy Chung, and he said here comes the big boss, let's get it on, so we took a bow and made a stand, started swinging with the hand, the sudden motion made me skip now we're into a brand knew trip, but they did it with expert timing.

Keep on, keep on, keep on

(Until Star Wars came out, nothing was more popular in the schoolyard)
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

It's a gripe about terminology in D&D. I meant that "monk", by itself, should NOT be used to mean "Shaolin monk from the far east from a 1970's tv show"
    Yes, I see that that is how you interpreted the post, but I still don't know on what basis, unless you have some off-post context (e.g. you saw the same poster complain about it elsewhere).

And why did you both misread "far east" as "middle east"?
    I typed it wrong the first time, then copy-pasted the error.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

16. - Top - End - #946

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    (Until Star Wars came out, nothing was more popular in the schoolyard)
    I now have that stuck in my head, and I'm actually pretty cool with that. Also, just for you.

17. - Top - End - #947

Yes, I see that that is how you interpreted the post, but I still don't know on what basis, unless you have some off-post context (e.g. you saw the same poster complain about it elsewhere).
    I assumed that he was responding to my earlier post, two or three posts above his, where I said that the name of the monk class was a non-sequitur (which admittedly was a slight exaggeration, but, I maintain, still apropos)

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

I assumed that he was responding to my earlier post, two or three posts above his, where I said that the name of the monk class was a non-sequitur (which admittedly was a slight exaggeration, but, I maintain, still apropos)
    OK, so let me add two completely unimportant language misuses that bug me:
    1. Posting an answer to previous post without quoting it, when said post is not the immediate previous one nor posted the same day
    2. Posting in such a way that the actual meaning is indistinct, due to assuming the reader will be familiar with a context that is not included in the post.

GW

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Calling all Immortals in the Highlander universe "Highlanders". Okay, it distinguishes them from other immortals in other works, but <allcaps>they're not all from Scotland</>!

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Calling all Immortals in the Highlander universe "Highlanders". Okay, it distinguishes them from other immortals in other works, but <allcaps>they're not all from Scotland</>!
    As I understand it, none of them are actually from Scotland. Well, except for Ramírez, who clearly is from Scotland, whatever he says.

GW

21. - Top - End - #951
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

As I understand it, none of them are actually from Scotland. Well, except for Ramírez, who clearly is from Scotland, whatever he says.
    I think you're deliberately confusing the actors with the characters they're portraying for comic effect...

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that they *don't* call all Immortals in the Highlander universe "Highlanders"? I recall the Kurgan calling Connor McLeod "Highlander", which would be an odd thing to do if he himself were one.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I think you're deliberately confusing the actors with the characters they're portraying for comic effect...

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that they *don't* call all Immortals in the Highlander universe "Highlanders"? I recall the Kurgan calling Connor McLeod "Highlander", which would be an odd thing to do if he himself were one.
    No they don't but real people who don't know better sometime do.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No they don't but real people who don't know better sometime do.
    Yeah, and in the case that prompted this just now from me someone wasn't even referring to the Immortals in Highlander, just referring to someone living for thousands of years without occasional sword fights and lightning-shooting orgasms.

Edit: Also, if you say the Z-word you'd best draw your sword.
    Last edited by BannedInSchool; 2018-06-25 at 06:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Yeah, and in the case that prompted this just now from me someone wasn't even referring to the Immortals in Highlander, just referring to someone living for thousands of years without occasional sword fights and lightning-shooting orgasms.

Edit: Also, if you say the Z-word you'd best draw your sword.
    This Z-word?

Or this one?

GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

25. - Top - End - #955
    Orc in the Playground

Reminds me of a Dead Ringers sketch, mocking Mel Gibson's Braveheart.

[Sean Connery] What'sh all thish?
    [Crowd] Finally, a real Scottish hero!
    [Sean] Actually, no. In thish film I play Ramirezsh, an Egyptian Shpaniard.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    Reminds me of a Dead Ringers sketch, mocking Mel Gibson's Braveheart.

[Sean Connery] What'sh all thish?
    [Crowd] Finally, a real Scottish hero!
    [Sean] Actually, no. In thish film I play Ramirezsh, an Egyptian Shpaniard.
    I was thinking more of the perennial joke that the USSR shouldn't have been surprised when the Red October went rogue, given that they had put a Scotsman in command of it, but that one works as well.

GW

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

To paraphrase Hank Green:

"You do not HOLD DOWN THE FORT, because the fort is not inflatable and full of air! You HOLD THE FORT! It's a MILITARY METAPHOR!"

I've become infamous among my coworkers for my refusal to let this issue slide.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-07-10 at 02:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

If you wanna be that pedantic, at least be consistent. It's not a 'metaphor", either. =p

29. - Top - End - #959

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    To paraphrase Hank Green:

"You do not HOLD DOWN THE FORT, because the fort is not inflatable and full of air! You HOLD THE FORT! It's a MILITARY METAPHOR!"

I've become infamous among my coworkers for my refusal to let this issue slide.
    I always assumed it was partly ironic. Normally when people say they are going to hold down the fort they are, at least partially, lamenting that they have to sit around being bored while other people get to go off and have fun. So they are claiming that they are going to do something too.

Alternatively, a quick google search led me to a place that includes this tidbit:
    The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang notes the use, dating from the late 19th Century, of "hold down," meaning to occupy a place, and A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English records the use from the same period with land claims. And no one finds strange the locution "hold down a job."
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2018-07-11 at 01:42 AM. Reason: mixed up a URL tag for a QUOTE tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

When people use erb to mean herb. There's a h in that word, and you're nowhere near sexy enough to be French!

...excuse me, I'm off to mope over my ex....
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.