New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1497
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Too late, Kyrell and I are already duking it out in wellymittens on your chessboard.
    I am certainly down.
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Too late, Kyrell and I are already duking it out in wellymittens on your chessboard.
    Wellymittens has a chequered past.

3. - Top - End - #1053

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Wellymittens has a chequered past.
    Do you think that wellymittens has rules?

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrell1978 View Post
    Do you think that wellymittens has rules?
    Sure but there are tons of houserules.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It also depends on if you want High British rules or Common British rules.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Banned

Really, there's something ironic about a prescriptivist playing Wellymittens. But can you rudisplork at Wellymittens?

7. - Top - End - #1057

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Really, there's something ironic about a prescriptivist playing Wellymittens. But can you rudisplork at Wellymittens?
    No. Please do not besmirch the honorable wellymittens.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Having a common reference of correct language is the only way descriptivism can even function, but descriptivists point to that common reference being meaningless if you can correct the errors on your end...using that supposedly meaningless common reference.
    The correct usage is however most people currently speak. Prescriptivism fails and is incorrect when it prescribes a usage that nobody uses (generally either due to obsession with a foreign tongue or outmoded dialect, or else for socio-political reasons, with the last category generally being the most problematic)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-08-23 at 06:11 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Pixie in the Playground

2/3/4/5/etc. pair of ___.
    Welcome to more wonderful tomfoolery, scandal, adventure, and murdering of horrible, horrible frogs!

Always take ranks in profession (dungeon inspector)

Amazing avatar by the magnificent Linkele

GNU Terry Pratchett

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime.
    Teach him to steal, and he won't have to eat fish for the rest of his life."

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

The issue I've always found with that kind of extreme descriptivist outlook is that most of the time your ability to suss out what the speaker SAID rather than what they meant directly correlates to your own facility with a language. The argument is essentially "I'm educated enough to recognize errors and auto-correct them, therefore the error is a non-issue", leaving out the fact that if EVERYONE just spoke as they wished and relied on others to guess their meaning, nobody would be able to understand each other.

Having a common reference of correct language is the only way descriptivism can even function, but descriptivists point to that common reference being meaningless if you can correct the errors on your end...using that supposedly meaningless common reference.
    Except there are no "errors" because there's no right answer. Or at least, there's no wrong one insofar as what the public groupthink has accepted. If that changes, it changes. I think when a prescriptivist can point out exactly what "correct language" actually is, codify it and send it to everyone, they'll have proven their point but so far the silence is deafening. Meanwhile the fact that language changes, evolves and words and phrases die seem to indicate that there isn't some intrinsic meaning to the words we use and that language is a bunch of labels we slap on things and those labels change.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-08-23 at 07:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1061

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I think when a prescriptivist can point out exactly what "correct language" actually is, codify it and send it to everyone, they'll have proven their point but so far the silence is deafening.
    It was the textbook in every English Class you ever took.

12. - Top - End - #1062

Five bucks says two different English textbooks have two different and conflicting rules.

13. - Top - End - #1063

Five bucks says two different English textbooks have two different and conflicting rules.
    Of course you could get that if you manipulate the year of publication, the nation in which it was published, and other variables but the overlap is tremendous and the differences could well be considered outliers. A codified list was asked for, I provided one.

14. - Top - End - #1064

Plus the textbooks' rules are generally incorrect regardless, as they tend to not match the way people speak.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2018-08-23 at 07:53 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

15. - Top - End - #1065

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post

Latin was a language spoken by a tiny group of people by consensus, then they forced other people to learn their consensus. The same woth Chinese, or any other language. The rules are organic and develop in small groups and through interacting with other small groups, then one takes over due to unrelated political and economic processes and becomes the defacto language. This is why the greatest language diversity is where a language originates, like English in England or German in Germany. Expansion areas are more uniform because the consensus was dictated by a smaller group to a larger.
    I just wanted to notice that the Romans didn't really force Latin on others, otherwise it becomes unintelligible why the whole Eastern half kept its local languages and used Greek for the government and between different groups. Latin simply won great prestige in the West, and people found it very useful to learn it; just to make an example, for 100 years after its conquest, taxation in Gaul gave less resources than the ones Rome spent on its soldiers stationed in Gaul. Since Roman soldiers were very rich, compared to the locals, speaking Latin meant access to a new market. So we have inscriptions regarding the association of wine merchants of Lyon that supplied taverns filled with Roman soldiers, and it's likely that similar associations existed for products like clothes, pottery, and so on. The only case I know of regarding deliberate romanization was when Agricula offered Latin courses to the children of Briton chiefs.

The East however was very proud of its traditions and was also far richer than the West, which meant that it didn't need Latin to sell its goods, while Greek had massive prestige among both local and Roman elites, so it was much cooler to speak Greek than Latin.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

The English language is somewhat bigger than a textbook - they can cover a small sample at best, and that's before getting into the various contradictions between said textbooks (which is hardly going to take deliberately manipulating variables).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #1067

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The English language is somewhat bigger than a textbook - they can cover a small sample at best, and that's before getting into the various contradictions between said textbooks (which is hardly going to take deliberately manipulating variables).
    The codified grammar rules are there. If you are looking for vocabulary then you need to add to that the Unabridged English Dictionary. Also, without manipulation you're not going to find nearly as many discrepancies as you might think. There will be some differences between dialects (English, American, Australian, Etc.) but the actual grammar rules are pretty standard (even between dialects), just like there are some slight differences in the Spanish spoken in South America, Central America and Spain; however, the grammar rules apply to all of the dialects.

18. - Top - End - #1068

Of course you could get that if you manipulate the year of publication, the nation in which it was published, and other variables but the overlap is tremendous and the differences could well be considered outliers. A codified list was asked for, I provided one.
    I contend that two books published in the same year, in the same region, by authors in the same circles and with equivalent degrees, could have contradicting rules on basic grammatical structure, such as whether or not a sentence could end in a preposition.

Professors can't even agree on how a math textbook should be laid out, English simply has no chance at textbook consistency.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Titan in the Playground

The codified grammar rules are there. If you are looking for vocabulary then you need to add to that the Unabridged English Dictionary. Also, without manipulation you're not going to find nearly as many discrepancies as you might think. There will be some differences between dialects (English, American, Australian, Etc.) but the actual grammar rules are pretty standard (even between dialects), just like there are some slight differences in the Spanish spoken in South America, Central America and Spain; however, the grammar rules apply to all of the dialects.
    Which unabridged dictionary - they also routinely conflict? More than that any term that have that also exists as technical jargon will conflict with said technical jargon, and technical jargon that doesn't match common jargon is likely to simply be omitted. Again, the language is bigger and more complex than you'll get in a couple of books.

What this can get is a particularly complex pidgin language based on English. Said pidgin language is obviously a pale shadow of actual English, deeply lacking in functionality.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground

The point at which English becomes a language that prescriptivist linguists can classify and dissect to come up with a perfect set of rules for every useage case will be the point at which nobody speaks English any more.

Prescriptivism applied to a living language is nonsense. Go learn Latin if you want to tell people they're speaking it wrong.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2018-08-23 at 08:34 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    The point at which English becomes a language that prescriptivist linguists can classify and dissect to come up with a perfect set of rules for every useage case will be the point at which nobody speaks English any more.

Prescriptivism applied to a living language is nonsense. Go learn Latin if you want to tell people they're speaking it wrong.
    wrong are pointless. is linguistic right answer! serve rules no you there purpose not
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-08-23 at 08:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Titan in the Playground

wrong are pointless. is linguistic right answer! serve rules no you there purpose not
    Nice straw man you built there! That'll keep the crows off your crops, for sure.

Okay now that I've gotten that snark out of my system: there is a difference between the ideals "English has no rules and it's pointless to apply any ever" and "rigid prescriptivism is nonsense because the way people talk changes every day to fit all sorts of different situations".
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2018-08-23 at 08:49 PM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Titan in the Playground

I don't remember any grammar rules in any textbooks I had (Berkeley Unified School District, California in the 1970's and '80's).

Can you recommend one?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Titan in the Playground

I was just talking about definitions of words, not grammar or anything like that but since you wanted to take it there. Others have already pointed out that grammar isn't agreed upon even in basic textbooks, I don't think I need to demonstrate further how fatuous the comment was but let's take for instance the gender neutral They. When I was in school I learned that when you're referring to a single person whose gender you don't know that instead of using He you should use They.

That was in middle school. When I went to high school I was marked off for that because They isn't singular (it can be), it's plural. I was then told to use "he" when I wasn't certain the gender of the speaker/intended person. Or It.

Grammar in the English language isn't codified in any lawful way any more than saying "pass out" instead of "go to sleep" is regulated. Language is a living thing and it evolves alongside culture. It's lkike trying to make pure breed dogs. Sure they look nice but they'll die out in time from inbreeding. Perscriptivism is to language what the AKC is to canines.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Perscriptivism is to language what the AKC is to canines.
    This is great. 10/10

26. - Top - End - #1076

I contend that two books published in the same year, in the same region, by authors in the same circles and with equivalent degrees, could have contradicting rules on basic grammatical structure, such as whether or not a sentence could end in a preposition.

Professors can't even agree on how a math textbook should be laid out, English simply has no chance at textbook consistency.
    I have never had an English (or Spanish for that matter) textbook flat out contradict and earlier textbook, I have had them go into more depth and show a more nuanced rule than previously taught. Using your example of prepositions, ending a sentence in a preposition is wrong in formal academic writing (it still is) so they teach you to not do that. Later, when the curriculum gods decide that you are ready to learn that there are nuanced levels of formality in language, they then teach you that it is okay in some circumstances to use, but not in others. Also, yes the rules have changed over time, and some of that is necessary, but to insist (as some on here are) that rules don't matter whatsoever ( i.e. "there are no "errors" because there's no right answer") is intellectually dishonest.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Titan in the Playground

Can I also point out the absolute hilarity in pointing to text books (which are created and published by committee and then approved of and disseminated by committee at least here in the US) as an argument against the motion that language is wholly created by, and enforced by, committee?

Hell, the argument about the comma before an and is still raging with no end in sight other than the cop out "you do you boo".

I have never had an English (or Spanish for that matter) textbook flat out contradict and earlier textbook, I have had them go into more depth and show a more nuanced rule than previously taught. Using your example of prepositions, ending a sentence in a preposition is wrong in formal academic writing (it still is) so they teach you to not do that. Later, when the curriculum gods decide that you are ready to learn that there are nuanced levels of formality in language, they then teach you that it is okay in some circumstances to use, but not in others. Also, yes the rules have changed over time, and some of that is necessary, but to insist (as some on here are) that rules don't matter whatsoever ( i.e. "there are no "errors" because there's no right answer") is intellectually dishonest.
    Well since I said it, I'd hate to be called a liar on the internet. You reading into that statement (there are no errors because there's no right answer) doesn't mean that you can use language however you like. Everyone else seemed to have understood what I meant by that. I could be pithy and point out the irony there as well but I think I've been sarcastic enough. I meant, since there is no right answer. There is no intrinsic rightness to using a comma before an and or not, that doing so within the bounds of accepted parlance isn't "wrong" any more than not doing so is "right".

The rules of language are made up and the points don't matter.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-08-23 at 09:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

Oh hey there's a "completely unimportant language misuse that bugs me": the idea that you shouldn't end a sentence with a reposition is simply nonsense I will not put up with. What is that rule even for? There's no impact on the meaning if you put a preposition there. You know exactly what I'm saying, and I've ended every single sentence in this post with a preposition! Except that (and also this).
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2018-08-23 at 09:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1079

My department at university changed textbooks for about 5 years and then changed back because, among other things, they didn't like how the new textbook was formatted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

I was just talking about definitions of words, not grammar or anything like that but since you wanted to take it there. Others have already pointed out that grammar isn't agreed upon even in basic textbooks, I don't think I need to demonstrate further how fatuous the comment was but let's take for instance the gender neutral They. When I was in school I learned that when you're referring to a single person whose gender you don't know that instead of using He you should use They.

That was in middle school. When I went to high school I was marked off for that because They isn't singular (it can be), it's plural. I was then told to use "he" when I wasn't certain the gender of the speaker/intended person. Or It.

Grammar in the English language isn't codified in any lawful way any more than saying "pass out" instead of "go to sleep" is regulated. Language is a living thing and it evolves alongside culture. It's lkike trying to make pure breed dogs. Sure they look nice but they'll die out in time from inbreeding. Perscriptivism is to language what the AKC is to canines.

You're right @ Razade and that's a problem with English.

I think the solution c'est pour nous de parler français et obéir à l'académie!