1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As it is, the joke falls a bit flat.

Grey Wolf
    I believe you mean "the wisecrack autumns slightly level."
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I believe you mean "the wisecrack autumns slightly level."
    You deserve a Rupert's Finger.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Note to any USAians who might take that seriously--only the first two are actually true.
    While this is correct, that's not the point. There are british versions for most of them, and some of the off ones are funnies in their own right.

Particularly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottaging

For the rest,

Zip code = Post Code (but not exactly identical)

Fall = Autumn,

Donut = Doughnut (as somebody mentioned above, but note that the ones illustrated are ring doughnuts, most of ours are lumpy and have a small amount (5%? less?) of filling in them),

Mailman = Postman (also postlady, though that's not standard),

Pretzel = Pretzel (we don't usually have them),

Restroom = Lavatory (or dozens of others, but "cottage" isn't in general use),

Pants = Trousers,

Hotdog = hotdog (it's a foreign food we sometimes eat),

Sidewalk = Pavement,

Tic-tac-toe = noughts and crosses,

Eggplant = Aubergine,

Cotton Candy = Candy Floss.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

Note to any USAians who might take that seriously--only the first two are actually true.
    The first one. The US also uses "autumn", just a little less often. It's just not hilariously off the rails yet by the second.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #1235

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Zip code
    ZIP code, if we're taking all the fun out of it. Zoning Improvement Plan.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-11-12 at 12:51 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    While this is correct, that's not the point. There are british versions for most of them
    Thanks for the list! I knew a lot of those, and as a result I was starting to wonder if pretzel and hot-dog did have British versions too.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ZIP code, if we're taking all the fun out of it. Zoning Improvement Plan.
    ZIP is a lot like LASER in this context - acronyms can turn into words, and if they get used routinely enough they almost certainly will*, which zip codes and lasers did, where HOA is still thankfully not hoa and MALDI is tragically still not maldi, though it's at least not MALASERDI the day it would be if laser didn't become just a word.

*Assuming that they're some combination of sufficiently long and pronounceable. DVD is three syllables, and trying to pronounce it directly involves a phoneme not only not in the language but downright uncomfortable to say.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

8. - Top - End - #1238

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    ZIP is a lot like LASER in this context - acronyms can turn into words, and if they get used routinely enough they almost certainly will*, which zip codes and lasers did, where HOA is still thankfully not hoa and MALDI is tragically still not maldi, though it's at least not MALASERDI the day it would be if laser didn't become just a word.

*Assuming that they're some combination of sufficiently long and pronounceable. DVD is three syllables, and trying to pronounce it directly involves a phoneme not only not in the language but downright uncomfortable to say.
    Someone better warn NASA.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

Someone better warn NASA.
    If "nasa" becomes a generic term for any one of numerous space exploration organizations I don't see anyone at NASA considering that anything other than a victory.

-- ChubbyRain

10. - Top - End - #1240

If "nasa" becomes a generic term for any one of numerous space exploration organizations I don't see anyone at NASA considering that anything other than a victory.
    I don't quite see how that relates to ZIP codes. To be fair, a better comparison would be with banking or computers asking for your PIN.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

I don't quite see how that relates to ZIP codes. To be fair, a better comparison would be with banking or computers asking for your PIN.
    That's a little more like the laser than zip codes, which would just be NASA getting so ubiquitous that people called it "nasa". As for PIN, "pin number" is well on its way to being a two word phrase.

-- ChubbyRain

12. - Top - End - #1242

That's a little more like the laser than zip codes, which would just be NASA getting so ubiquitous that people called it "nasa". As for PIN, "pin number" is well on its way to being a two word phrase.
    Wikipedia seems like a reasonable go-to source for commonality, at the very least. In which case laser is not at all in the company of NASA, PIN number,, or ZIP code. Surely in the 80's and 90's AIDS was fairly ubiquitous, and yet.

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

smile Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Hi! As a rule, I never correct people on their grammar unless it's for formal writing or they themselves corrected someone else's grammar. If you're going to be be pedantic about what other people write, please be at least mildly pedantic about your own writing. *cough cough*

That being said, I cringe internally at many mistakes. The worst of them all is "for all intensive purposes." I know someone who actually thinks the phrase is "for all extensive purposes." It's a misuse of a misuse, and really bugs me. Maybe someday I'll have to mention that to him.

Some so-called "misuses", though, are hilarious. "PIN number", "ATM machine", and "LED display" are RAS Syndrome and I love them. "I could care less" gets me every time. I am highly amused when "her affect" and "to effect change" are miscorrected.

While maybe there's value in pedantry, I think human relationships are more important, and thus I'd suggest to some that they refrain from correcting others. It offends easily.

On an unrelated note, how okay is it to refer to the USA as America? It bugs me but I'm not sure why. Shouldn't all of North and South America be collectively referred to as America instead?
    Last edited by qbits; 2018-11-15 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added strikethrough
    Spoiler
    Show
    Begin by internalizing that you know nothing worth knowing. Discussion is futile and meaningless. You don't even know what it means to be, let alone to learn.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qbits View Post
    On an unrelated note, how okay is it to refer to the USA as America? It bugs me but I'm not sure why. Shouldn't all of North and South America be collectively referred to as America instead?
    Depends where you are. A lot of places (in the US especially), it's fine, even expected.

Central Americans/South Americans/Latinx people can often take umbrage with it though. Particularly salty Mexican people also get offended by "The United States", since it basically dismisses the full name of Mexico.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-11-15 at 12:20 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Firbolg in the Playground

Some so-called "misuses", though, are hilarious. "PIN number", "ATM machine", and "LED display" are RAS Syndrome and I love them.
    The 'D' in "LED" is for "diode", not "display". You might be thinking of "LCD Display".
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Depends where you are. A lot of places (in the US especially), it's fine, even expected.

Central Americans/South Americans/Latinx people can often take umbrage with it though. Particularly salty Mexican people also get offended by "The United States", since it basically dismisses the full name of Mexico.
    And in this, the Mexicans do have somewhat of a leg to stand on. They are The United Mexican States. But just as they shorten it to Mexican, we short it to American. Because we're the United States of America. And while yes, other people from the Americas are American, they're also Argentinian or Brazilian. Where as a person from the U.S is American and...American.

I always find it weird that people get upset about it. It doesn't invalidate their "American-ness". It's accurate to call Americans, the U.S ones, Americans.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-11-15 at 01:13 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I like to call them 'Usaliens', myself. Doesn't seem to have caught on, though.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

wink Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The 'D' in "LED" is for "diode", not "display". You might be thinking of "LCD Display".
    I believe you're right, thank you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Begin by internalizing that you know nothing worth knowing. Discussion is futile and meaningless. You don't even know what it means to be, let alone to learn.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I like to call them 'Usaliens', myself. Doesn't seem to have caught on, though.
    Yeah, I'll stick with Americans and laugh when people get up in arms, personally.

20. - Top - End - #1250

Some so-called "misuses", though, are hilarious. "PIN number", "ATM machine", and "LED display" are RAS Syndrome and I love them.
    Don't forget "DC Comics"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

21. - Top - End - #1251

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Don't forget "DC Comics"
    Imean, they kinda call themselves that.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

I may have shared this here before, but "Standard SOP Procedure".

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    And in this, the Mexicans do have somewhat of a leg to stand on. They are The United Mexican States. But just as they shorten it to Mexican, we short it to American. Because we're the United States of America. And while yes, other people from the Americas are American, they're also Argentinian or Brazilian. Where as a person from the U.S is American and...American.

I always find it weird that people get upset about it. It doesn't invalidate their "American-ness". It's accurate to call Americans, the U.S ones, Americans.
    I don't think it's the accuracy or otherwise that annoys people so much as the proprietary assertion the name implies. There is no qualifying descriptor within the name (or, consequently, its adjectives) that limits it to a level below the continental. Where a country's name asserts ownership (implicitly or otherwise) over territories beyond its borders, its neighbours can get upset. For the sake of avoiding the overtly political I won't namecheck any live disputes but there's been one in the news quite a bit lately.

Moreover and while that sort of spat is fairly common in the old world where borders have been rather more frequently mobile in the past, no other country has quite the nerve to identify itself solely with its continent absent anything else. There is no Kingdom of Oceania, United States of Europe or Republic of Asia. Perhaps the closest comparison would be with South Africa, which is in south Africa but doesn't comprise all of south Africa.

Back in the day rulers used to get around this sort of situation by - among other things - calling themselves "King in x" rather than "King of x", but alas we have few kings left so this venerable tradition has fallen by the wayside.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

24. - Top - End - #1254

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    MBack in the day rulers used to get around this sort of situation by - among other things - calling themselves "King in x" rather than "King of x", but alas we have few kings left so this venerable tradition has fallen by the wayside.
    That sounds like more of a "too many kings which created a problem they had to fix" issue.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Perhaps the closest comparison would be with South Africa, which is in south Africa but doesn't comprise all of south Africa.
    I dunno--that one seems sort of reasonable, because there isn't any part of Africa which is further south than South Africa, and who defines how large the southern part of a continent is anyway? I mean, if Cornwall decided to rename itself South-West England I wouldn't be too fussed about that either.

26. - Top - End - #1256

And in this, the Mexicans do have somewhat of a leg to stand on. They are The United Mexican States.
    I dunno--that one seems sort of reasonable, because there isn't any part of Africa which is further south than South Africa, and who defines how large the southern part of a continent is anyway? I mean, if Cornwall decided to rename itself South-West England I wouldn't be too fussed about that either.
    When the US formed, we were the only united states in America. So I'd argue it was a very reasonable name at the time. Not our fault they decided to call themselves United Mexican States after the fact. That's be like us calling ourselves America's France and then getting mad at the French. it's a great analogy if you do zero thinking about it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-11-15 at 10:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think it's the accuracy or otherwise that annoys people so much as the proprietary assertion the name implies. There is no qualifying descriptor within the name (or, consequently, its adjectives) that limits it to a level below the continental. Where a country's name asserts ownership (implicitly or otherwise) over territories beyond its borders, its neighbours can get upset. For the sake of avoiding the overtly political I won't namecheck any live disputes but there's been one in the news quite a bit lately.
    I think they need to stop projecting. Saying that we're Americans doesn't say no one else can be Americans. What else ought we call ourselves? We can't call ourselves United Statesians because surprise, Mexico could complain about that just as they could complain about us calling ourselves Americans. But we ARE the United States of America. That's been the name of our country since it was founded.

Moreover and while that sort of spat is fairly common in the old world where borders have been rather more frequently mobile in the past, no other country has quite the nerve to identify itself solely with its continent absent anything else. There is no Kingdom of Oceania, United States of Europe or Republic of Asia. Perhaps the closest comparison would be with South Africa, which is in south Africa but doesn't comprise all of south Africa.
    But we're (the United States) from that Era. We were the first colony to gain independence and the first country to declare itself a sovereign on the continent..other than the people we knocked over to get here that is. We were the only United States around. We were a lot of firsts, or at least only's when we formed. The idea that we somehow shouldn't make an identity around that or be proud of it because "others have them now as well" really just boggles the mind. It's American Flagellation pure and simple.

Back in the day rulers used to get around this sort of situation by - among other things - calling themselves "King in x" rather than "King of x", but alas we have few kings left so this venerable tradition has fallen by the wayside.
    I am rather happy that this state of affairs is falling further by the wayside every day. The fewer kings we have, the better. When the number of kings meets the number of people who ought to rule over others, we'll have reached a better period in human history. Sic Semper Tyrannis.

When the US formed, we were the only united states in America. So I'd argue it was a very reasonable name at the time. Not our fault they decided to call themselves United Mexican States after the fact. That's be like us calling ourselves America's France and then getting mad at the French. it's a great analogy if you do zero thinking about it.
    A better analogy would be if we called our selves The People's Republic of Appalachia and then got angry when China went around calling themselves Republicans. Like, how dare they. We're a Republic too! (We....are. But that's beside the point.)
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-11-16 at 02:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I mean, if Cornwall decided to rename itself South-West England I wouldn't be too fussed about that either.
    Well, yeah, but you're oop norf, would you feel so happy about Yorkshire calling itself "North England" ?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

When the US formed, we were the only united states in America. So I'd argue it was a very reasonable name at the time. Not our fault they decided to call themselves United Mexican States after the fact.
    This seems a lot like the decision to use the term "modernism". It's pretty clear that eventually that will stop being a clarifying term and start being particularly unhelpful jargon, and specifying two continents in the hope that your government form will be distinguishing is what one might call a clearly bad plan. Which is probably why it doesn't happen more often, and we don't see people coming up with country titles like "Parliamentary Democracy of Eurasia" and deciding that yeah, that's totally going to work.

Of course the ship has long since sailed on this one.

But we're (the United States) from that Era. We were the first colony to gain independence and the first country to declare itself a sovereign on the continent..other than the people we knocked over to get here that is. We were the only United States around. We were a lot of firsts, or at least only's when we formed. The idea that we somehow shouldn't make an identity around that or be proud of it because "others have them now as well" really just boggles the mind. It's American Flagellation pure and simple.
    It's basic future proofing, especially given that colonies on other continents were declaring sovereignty and it was clear even at the time that other regions shaking off colonial powers and establishing nations was pretty likely in the near future.
    Last edited by Knaight; 2018-11-16 at 04:53 AM.

-- ChubbyRain

30. - Top - End - #1260

Macedonia controversy > any US naming controversy

Also

China
    Tyrol (currently on standby)
    South Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).