New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Girl Genius XXI: Cancel the Jugglers

It is a world ruled by Mad Science! Things happen. Usually, they happen to other people. This is entertainment. That's when the front door gets blown in- And you belatedly realize that, once again, you are doomed to be the entertainment in another exciting installment of: GIRL GENIUS!

Many elegant, finely-crafted, and vintage links follow:

Links to Previous Threads

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF, usually after Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (back on hiatus, may update in the future)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the first three chapters can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting - Now must have a Twitter account to use).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (Sometimes will update before the main page is updated, so beware of spoilers)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    Phil Foglio's new Wordpress art, news, and blogging website.
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Not currently being updated)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Not currently being updated)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)
    And finally,
    Phil's old LJ page. (Occasionally contains crossposts from the Wordpress website)

====

Q: What is this "Sneaky Gate" y'alls go on about?

Sneaky gate: Named from this hidden gate in comic, it has become a name for viewing new comics early. Remember, if you're going to discuss the new comic, put it in spoiler boxes until the release time (12am EST).

Sneaky Gate 101:
    1. Right click the comic image.
    2. Select view image or copy paste the image location into the address bar.
    3. Modify the date to be the day you're trying to look at. (ex. 20120111 -> 20120113)
    4. Go to the modified url.
    5. Be disappointed when there's no early comic to read.
    6. Alternately, enjoy the comic!
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Girl Genius XXI: Cancel the Jugglers

Uh, oh, cancel the dancing nuns, too. Everyone's about to get wasped.

Or not. Because, Agatha. And the Master of Paris. And Tarvek. And maybe a few other people.

But, this is not looking really good.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

First: Who is Collette's father again? He's coming, and she knows that's wrong -- so is he already wasped?

Second: "Turn on your lanterns, and breath deeply". ... If these are slave engine lanterns, that would wasp the existing people -- not the target people. Perhaps it is "this device activates after a short period of time, so that the person handling it can safely prepare"? And, what if it's some sort of gas instead of a wasp?

Third: What's on the right side of this double page spread?
    Where's the finely hand-crafted link?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    First: Who is Collette's father again? He's coming, and she knows that's wrong -- so is he already wasped?
    The Master of Paris, who never ever attends parties.

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Second: "Turn on your lanterns, and breath deeply". ... If these are slave engine lanterns, that would wasp the existing people -- not the target people. Perhaps it is "this device activates after a short period of time, so that the person handling it can safely prepare"? And, what if it's some sort of gas instead of a wasp?
    I'm guessing it's some kind of mass-attack and the lanterns protect them from whatever-it-is. I'd guess gas, yes, and it's going to turn out that Tarvek is wearing that Plague Doctor costume and won't be affected.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

<bleep>, double spread page! We're not going to find out who the QotN is until Monday! If then!

6. - Top - End - #6

Devious and Cruel are our Foglio Masters.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I will wager 2,000 quatloos that the person about to enter the room is *not* the Queen of the Dawn.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I will wager 2,000 quatloos that the person about to enter the room is *not* the Queen of the Dawn.
    So.. someone pretending to be her? A minion of hers? Because that's her symbol plastered all over the airship and personnel.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueWizardGirl

I think the Master is coming because he realizes this will be the epicenter of the attack. My bet is the lanterns are about to release a swarm of the Other's mind-control wasps, and they want everyone to breathe them in. But, we'll see.

And, in the midst of this, we're about to have three storm kings, two royal houses, and a Heterodyne in a pear tree.

(sorry, had to say it)

10. - Top - End - #10

Suddenly I'm wondering when Krosp is going to reappear with all those bears. They do seem to be about the only element missing from this situation.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

What we really need is Othar to yell:

SO! ALL THE VIPERS ARE IN RESIDENCE!!!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Shouldn't Othar be traveling with Gil? If he isn't, he has his own reason to head to Paris.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Shouldn't Othar be traveling with Gil? If he isn't, he has his own reason to head to Paris.
    I would assume Othar is either under the strongest lock and key imprisonment Gil can devise; or, having already escaped that, is wandering around free and going to show up where his presence will cause the most chaos.

(Does he even remember Oslaka anymore?)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'll take that. I would be surprised if the Queen of the Dawn isn't Zola or Lucrezia and the egos of both of them would make them want to be there. Assuming the people are about to be wasped and the wasps still don't work on sparks, someone will need to give the people orders using Lucrezia's voice to take out any sparks there, otherwise any sparks there (including Martellus) would have a chance to get away or respond somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I think the Master is coming because he realizes this will be the epicenter of the attack. My bet is the lanterns are about to release a swarm of the Other's mind-control wasps, and they want everyone to breathe them in. But, we'll see.
    I would break it down into two reasons. 1) Andronicus is heading there. 2) Since Andronicus is heading there and so many important people will be there, it may be the epicenter of the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    What we really need is Othar to yell:

SO! ALL THE VIPERS ARE IN RESIDENCE!!!
    Yes, although Othar wouldn't realize it's a masquerade ball, so he'd go after the guests and ignore the Queen of the Dawn and her presumably wasped nuns. But it would be fun to watch him chase the guy dressed as Sam Starfall.

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I would assume Othar is either under the strongest lock and key imprisonment Gil can devise; or, having already escaped that, is wandering around free and going to show up where his presence will cause the most chaos.

(Does he even remember Oslaka anymore?)
    This is the last we saw of Othar. He might be leading an army for all we know. In this case, Gil was so upset at the Library that he might not have done anything about Othar.

No, Othar probably doesn't remember Oslaka. That was completely noncanonical. I think that at most Othar might think he remembers a weird dream featuring her.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-12-29 at 12:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Update
    Show
    So... yeah, that's Zola, isn't it. Can't quite see her face, but with blonde hair who else would it be?

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueWizardGirl

Yeah, taunt us with the mystery of who the queen is. Then, when you do the big reveal, make sure we can't recognize her under her costume. No, we're not dying of curiosity here. Why would you think that?

On an unrelated note, I was rereading the early chapters. When the Baron runs into Punch and Judy he realizes they were hiding from him, which doesn't make any sense to Klaus. Judy tells him "Barry came back."

At first, I thought that meant they were acting under orders from Barry (given before Klaus' return) to keep Agatha hidden. On rereading it, it sounded more like "You didn't think Barry would come back, but he did and told us everything.

At this point, I'm wondering if Barry got into a possible future, an alternate reality, or Skifander on a bad day and has got some wrong ideas about Klaus. After all, if he got into a future where wasped Klaus was claiming to have been an Evil Overlord all along (or something like that), he'd come back thinking he'd learned Klaus couldn't be trusted.

This seems to tie into Klaus' own mistake about Agatha. He'd learned enough to suspect Lucy was the Other. But, based on things like Bang's report on future-Agatha, he was making a lot of wrong conclusions about present-Agatha.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Spoiler: Update
    Show
    So... yeah, that's Zola, isn't it. Can't quite see her face, but with blonde hair who else would it be?
    Clankrezia with a wig & a skin job.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    On an unrelated note, I was rereading the early chapters. When the Baron runs into Punch and Judy he realizes they were hiding from him, which doesn't make any sense to Klaus. Judy tells him "Barry came back."

At first, I thought that meant they were acting under orders from Barry (given before Klaus' return) to keep Agatha hidden. On rereading it, it sounded more like "You didn't think Barry would come back, but he did and told us everything.

At this point, I'm wondering if Barry got into a possible future, an alternate reality, or Skifander on a bad day and has got some wrong ideas about Klaus. After all, if he got into a future where wasped Klaus was claiming to have been an Evil Overlord all along (or something like that), he'd come back thinking he'd learned Klaus couldn't be trusted.
    For what it's worth, the GG print novelization expands this scene, and explicitly states that for some as-yet unknown reason Barry believed that Klaus was working for the Other, which is why he hid himself and Agatha.

And yes, I agree the QotD looks like Zola.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    For what it's worth, the GG print novelization expands this scene, and explicitly states that for some as-yet unknown reason Barry believed that Klaus was working for the Other, which is why he hid himself and Agatha.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait a moment... currently, Klaus is working for the Other... sort of... and there's all that time travel....

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, <BLEEP>!!!!!!!

21. - Top - End - #21

Oooh, Shovel Knight!
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

22. - Top - End - #22

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    And yes, I agree the QotD looks like Zola.
    Same stance with arms spread as in her arrival in Mechanicsburg.
    If it isn't Zola, it's somebody imitating her.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

I think this is a mistake:
    Monday's and Wednesday's pages are two halves of what will be a double-page spread in the published book.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

So Barry's been time travelling?
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
    So Barry's been time travelling?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They keep talking about people coming back -- could very well be talking about a time rather than a place!

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hurkyl View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They keep talking about people coming back -- could very well be talking about a time rather than a place!
    Spoiler
    Show
    My (mostly baseless) suspicion is that they're coming back from Mars. I.e. Skifander is on Mars, where Lucrezia sent Klaus, which also has some connection to the Other, and where Bill and Barry battled. And perhaps where Bill is still trapped? Not to deny that there's also time travel, of course.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    My (mostly baseless) suspicion is that they're coming back from Mars. I.e. Skifander is on Mars, where Lucrezia sent Klaus, which also has some connection to the Other, and where Bill and Barry battled. And perhaps where Bill is still trapped? Not to deny that there's also time travel, of course.
    Spoiler
    Show

I agree with the Skifander=Mars theory, though I predict that Barry and Bill went to the Geister home"land", which will turn out to be on the Moon. I mostly say this because of the Geisters' general color scheme. I also wouldn't be surprised if Skifander and the Geister are both offshoots of some ancient/long-forgotten matriarchal project to colonize the solar system using portals instead of spaceships.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Who is the Queen of the Dawn?

By that I mean, who is the REAL QotD. Who is she supposed to be? I don't remember.

Is there an index where all of the players and places and politics are listed so we can look up this stuff?
    If not, could we make one?

Anyway, I think this is Zola, who either got wasped or just voluntarily made a dirty deal with someone.
    Last edited by Kislath; 2016-12-31 at 03:08 PM.
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    Is there an index where all of the players and places and politics are listed so we can look up this stuff?
    There is a wiki.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #30

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    Who is the Queen of the Dawn?

By that I mean, who is the REAL QotD. Who is she supposed to be? I don't remember.

Anyway, I think this is Zola, who either got wasped or just voluntarily made a dirty deal with someone.
    Volunteered for a ride-along
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.