New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Minimal Version?

Many forums have a third version beside the full and the mobile version: a basic version, consuming very little bandwidth (no pictures, avatars etc). I think this forum also used to have one, I remember googling some threads and finding them in the basic version.

Is it possible to use it? How do I activate it?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Minimal Version?

You can set no images, no avatars, no signatures as settings in the "General Settings" page. It is about half way down, 2 sections above where you can choose the skin you are using. I don't think there is a quicker way to switch between having that off and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #3

You're thinking of the archived versions, I believe. The pages with all grey backgrounds and no formatting on the posts? If so, I don't believe there's a way to manually use that.

EDIT: Found an example. You can change to this mode on a per-page basis by changing the URL from:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?527044
    to:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archi.../t-527044.html

EDIT 2: After playing around with it a bit, you can actually stay in that mode as long as all your links are clicked from that page.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2017-06-11 at 10:05 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Many forums have a third version beside the full and the mobile version: a basic version, consuming very little bandwidth (no pictures, avatars etc). I think this forum also used to have one, I remember googling some threads and finding them in the basic version.

Is it possible to use it? How do I activate it?
    If it's what I think you're talking about, it's called a "Search Friendly Archive", and you can access it by pressing "Archive" at the bottom of the page.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #5

Thank you very much for your help! Unfortunately, the version I was looking for is really not meant for a human user. I was hoping to use it to save data, since I am running on a limited connection. However, being able to turn off images is a large help.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).