New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re:Creators Anime

So is anyone watching this anime? It's currently in episode ten and frankly, I am amazed how good it is.

Here is video that got me hooked (spoilers inside):

Premise is simple. A guy gets inside his favorite anime, however instead of him staying there and becoming OP god, reverse happens - anime heroine is drawn into real world. Soon they discover they aren't only to be pulled, and that they were drawn into reality by Military Uniform Princess, a character with seemingly nefarious plans.

And it gets better from there. From various characters reacting to Real World, to each character experiencing his or her own character growth, to the implications their powers have on real world.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-06-13 at 04:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Creators Anime

I've only seen a few episodes, but I'm planning to catch more. I really enjoy how the librarian-sorceress character is so scientific about what is happening, as well as how she comes up with new theories to try when some original ones don't pan out.

I also love the end game boss's attitude.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Unfortunately I think it's only available in the US on AnimeStrike, which would make the 4th streaming service I'd have to sign up for and they don't have enough other stuff available to make it worth my while. I suppose I could do the free trial and binge-watch it, but I'd rather not force myself to rush through. Additionally, it looks like in the UK it's available with just Amazon Prime, and as I'll be moving there in a couple months the problem will hopefully resolve itself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    I've only seen a few episodes, but I'm planning to catch more. I really enjoy how the librarian-sorceress character is so scientific about what is happening, as well as how she comes up with new theories to try when some original ones don't pan out.
    It also has some interesting details. Meteora, the librarian/wizard NPC, has tendency to crack a joke or divert from talk, when she doesn't have enough info, like NPCs often do.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I've been enjoying it and am completely caught up with it as it stands, but man it's started getting pretty dark.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    I've been enjoying it and am completely caught up with it as it stands, but man it's started getting pretty dark.
    The premise is - what would happen if all these characters were in real world, and some of those characters are evil and really want to cause destruction.

Basically, the show has two great villain characters - Military Unifrom Princess and Megane, whose interactions have persuaded the more gullible members of Creations/Creators into doing their bidding. Of course, things will be bad.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm part-way through the third episode. Does the exposition ever end? Because good god, it's just been going on and on, frequently going over stuff we already know. The premise is interesting, but between the exposition and the contrived way that new characters are showing up with virtually no explanation of how they knew where to go or who to talk to, I'm having trouble getting into those.
    Last edited by Rysto; 2017-06-17 at 10:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    I'm part-way through the third episode. Does the exposition ever end? Because good god, it's just been going on and on, frequently going over stuff we already know. The premise is interesting, but between the exposition and the contrived way that new characters are showing up with virtually no explanation of how they knew where to go or who to talk to, I'm having trouble getting into those.
    I got no idea, what you speak of, I didn't find the exposition over bearing. Meteora does mouth off a lot, but it's usually stuff that's important later.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-06-27 at 04:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

This show is gonna get meta. Rumor has it they're gonna make a show about Altair losing. Maybe it'll be the show we are watching now?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    This show is gonna get meta. Rumor has it they're gonna make a show about Altair losing. Maybe it'll be the show we are watching now?
    Yeah, it's the of greatest pull of Re:Creators. I hope it doesn't get too cheesy like in certain games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thimbleweed park has a really derpy ending

I got no idea how it will end, but I hope Sota takes Setsuna's character(s) and does something with it. I remember Altair mentioning that one of her closest friends was denied existence.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Yeah, it's the of greatest pull of Re:Creators. I hope it doesn't get too cheesy like in certain games
    Spoiler
    Show

I got no idea how it will end, but I hope Sota takes Setsuna's character(s) and does something with it. I remember Altair mentioning that one of her closest friends was denied existence.
    I remember the first episode where he hid one of his own drawing from Selesia and it looked like said drawing had cat ears. That could come into it somehow, it felt a little too prominent to not be a chekov's gun of some kind the way this series has been going.

Factotum Variants!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyway last episode was a recap episode but was one of the funniest recap episodes I've seen. It's no ATLA, Ember Island Player, but it's hillarious. It's Meteora's narrating what happened.

Best scenes are:

• Alicetaria is all brawn no brains. That's why she is easily fooled by Megane.
    • Ideal!Meteora killing Altair, only to say it didn't really happen.
    • Rui is a lolicon.
    • "Altair's design makes animation team cry in frustation and makes us question the sanity of her designer. From behind she looks like a mutated mop. Next season she will be in sandals and swimsuit only."

I nominate we change Altair's name to Mutated Mop Princess.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: Episode 11
    Show
    I'm pretty sure that the close friend that Altair was mentioning was Setsuna herself - this world denied her Creator, and so it must be punished.

In general, Re:Creators is a fascinating look at all of the ways that the things you do affect and influence other people, made literal through the manifestation of the Creations. Setsuna and Sota are exploring the dark side of that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

I watched a couple of episodes and dropped it. I have better things to do with my anime viewing time.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday12 View Post
    is it worth watching?
    In short, there are pros and cons about the show. Mostly pros. It's worth giving a shot, I'd say maybe... 3-5 episodes and you should know if you like it or not. It never goes completely topsy-turvy on you, so your impression after that amount of time should be reasonably well informed.

In long, I'm really impressed by this show! The video in the OP brings up a lot of the things I like about it, particularly the willingness to actually explore the main theme and show us different characters and their individual relationship with their creators. And yeah, sometimes it focuses on that to the detriment of production values and tempo (but not pacing). I think a lot of the flak the show catches for having long talking and exposition and panning shots scenes is actually mixing "exposition" with low-action character development (and, in Meteora's case, a character trait that I admit gets a liiittle long-winded at times).
    Spoiler: A really good scene.
    Show
    For example, one of my favourite scenes the show was when Meteora bingeplayed her game after she had learned her creator had died. She had to get to know her creator/parent/god though his work rather than directly, while for example Selesia has met her creator/father/god in person and isn't comfortable reading her own manga. The comparison between the two approaches, and for that matter the varied relationships all the creations have with their creators, was really significant for me. That scene was almost only talking and panning shots, but it was such an important moment for Meteora and I wouldn't call it exposition by any means.

I also like it because I think the main theme of the show, as I perceive it, is so relevant in today's society. The show explores how we behave towards those we think we will never meet. That is the relationship we have with people on the internet on a daily basis, and while we can't author them as characters, we can very much influence at least a part of the environment and context they have to live in. The Setsuna/Sota storyline is explicitly about this, but I think the whole show can be seen as dealing with that very situation.

Admittedly, there are issues. For example, while I don't think the show is too "talky", and it does show as much as it tells, I think the script feels very "written". The voice actors do a great job, but you don't come to this show for snappy dialogue. There's also the issue that I've never felt particularly drawn into the combat scenes, which are competent and plot-important but lacked the emotional nerve so far. Many other like them, though, so that might just be me.

And the music is admittedly godlike.
    Last edited by Weimann; 2017-08-04 at 07:22 AM.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

16. - Top - End - #16

I gave the anime a second chance. For a while there I was enjoying it, but once I was caught up, I realized that I wasn't super hyped to watch it week-by-week, which is never a good sign about my interest level in a show. I only ended up watching the second-most-recent episode this weekend, a week late. By that time the most recent episode was up, but it took a few more days before I bothered to watch, only to give up half-way.

Count me in the "it's too goddamned talky" camp. I feel like almost nothing of significance has happened in the last two-and-a-half episodes that I watched -- the pacing is just killing me. From what I've seen so far, the show would have been significantly improved by reducing its runtime to a single 13-episode cour.

Also, I find the characters really flat. Most of them, especially among the protagonists, have no discernible or interesting motivations. I can't keep the creators straight in my head: I don't know their names and I can never remember who wrote which character. Among the creations, most of the are little more than archetypes rather than fully fleshed out characters. So far, there are only two characters that I really care about.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And one of them is dead.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I stopped watching a few weeks ago. It was a good premise, but the whole
    Spoiler: Bleh
    Show
    Villain literally being a Mary Sue empowered by the entire internet already knowing what the heroes were planning and having no worries about being able to counter them just kind of killed it for me. It was already losing some speed before that, and that really killed it.

I think the show might have been more interesting if it was more about the conflict between creation and creator, as well as creations adjusting to the real world, something less conflict-oriented.

Factotum Variants!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I stopped watching a few weeks ago. It was a good premise, but the whole
    Villain literally being a Mary Sue empowered by the entire internet already knowing what the heroes were planning and having no worries about being able to counter them just kind of killed it for me. It was already losing some speed before that, and that really killed it.

I think the show might have been more interesting if it was more about the conflict between creation and creator, as well as creations adjusting to the real world, something less conflict-oriented.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd say the two voice artist specials, did kill the pace, but if you think the character is a Mary Sue, you are sorely mistaken.

She is limited by audience expectation as much as anyone else. Not to mention that Creators are her blind spot.

I'm looking forwards to the big deathmatch. Not to mention it's foreshadowed Blitz is going on a Creator killing spree.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-08-12 at 07:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah funny enough i got caught up in the serie by the specific video linked in the first post. Im only at episode 3 so far though, so i will leave again to avoid spoilers.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, so Chamber Festival started. Get ready tooooooo Hype.