New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCVII: Cheerilee's Lonely Hearts Club

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    On a different note, I'm visiting my 101 year old grandmother and my uncle, and it's tough listening to stories of the things she's done, and watching her be pretty much be unable to do anything (she has Alzheimers), as she sits in a nursing home.
    Hugs
    Spoiler
    Show
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

On a different note, I'm visiting my 101 year old grandmother and my uncle, and it's tough listening to stories of the things she's done, and watching her be pretty much be unable to do anything (she has Alzheimers), as she sits in a nursing home.
    On the one hand, she's done quite well, but on the larger downhand, that might not be a good thing depending on how bad the Alzhiemers is. I have been very fortunate in that out of my set of grandparents, only one (my adoptive grandmother) suffered in that regard. (Grandma died when I was very long, and Grandad and Bampy were lucid to the end, and Nanny is still going strong, even if she can't get around easily anymore.) I only have a sliver of an idea how difficult that is, but you have my commissierations and sympathy.

Completely changing the subject (I'd say it might cheer people up, but its more likely to depress everypony), as I could't post is last night:

Bleakplays Plays EUIV: Necrolantis Rises!

Spoiler: Necrolantis Arises! 27
    Show
    Okay, first job is check the over-extension, because I clean forgot about that last night. 35% - fine! Then deal with enlightenment (to get the tech costs down) and start looking towards Bahamis as the next target.

After a great deal of careful consideration, no.

Tunis is raiding us, is right next to us and fairly small and has no allies. It could either be absorbed, or, now we have a free slot vassalised.

However. Brabant has four provinces, no allies and is guaranteeing the independence of a couple of OPMs, one of which is on the coast, splitting Holland's to provinces. I am now very tempted to see if we can lay claim to all of those, for a relatively easy war and low-diplomatic costs (and hand all the coring over to Holland to make them a bit tougher).

So I think the next steps will be those, followed by Tunis and then Bahamis a bit later.

*sigh* Scratch that; I missed the fact Brabant is part of the Holy Roman Empire, so trying to do anything there would kick over a hornet's nest. Tunis it is, then.

I am very short of states (three currently and only ten more after that before game end), so Tunis might be arguably better vassalised (though I might take one province or two), though that might eat our diplomacy points (we might have to have an experiment...)

Diplomats to Tunis and Bahamis, then. War will just have to wait a little bit. (In theory, I could look at the Mesoamerican mess in Jaqo Sepri, but they are more than single provinces and that means either burning diplomacy or taking forever for not as much gain. And my CN there might take care of that itself.)

Although... Only two years before the truce with Britain completes, so that's an interesting possibility as well. (No rush though, let them colonise a little bit more for us first...! And, come to that, they might spend some development to get enlightenment, which would be more for us to nick!)

Hrrrm. Size is definitely working against us now. Most places are expecting ten years before they get enough development to get enlightenment, and Cap Verde is now but 21% of the required 10% development. So the question becomes, do we splash around development instead of taking techs or eat the additional penalty? Well, no sense it whittling before we start to reach the caps.

We're looking at north of 10k to be able to afford embracement, though, so we'll resume spending only when we hit the 10k ducat mark.

July 1704, and I had to start spending military power on development, since the next tech was not close to being affordable.

December 1704 and we had a new mission, to colonise a province in the middle of nowhere in Poytrek. The alternative was another conquer the whiteskins for Castile, but I wasn't going to be ready for that for a while yet.

January, and while I could afford the next admin tech level, I elected to spend the admin on more development to speed the institution process (the increase over time per years was still less than the ahead of time penalty).

June/July came and Cap Verde had gained enlightenment (a small 2.4% of what I needed to embrace, though we still hadn't saved enough yet, anyway) and the missionaries went to Dukkala.

It was September before I realised I could get diplomatic tech 23, which gave use heavy frigates, client states and - huzzah! Advanced cassus belli - imperialism and nationalism. That would a) mean we wouldn't have to RELY on claims to start wars and b) slightly reduce the cost a bit. Neat.

1706. Again, I decided to opt out of Admin 25 for a while longer and aid (for what little it was doing) the spread of enlightenment. Four years until the age of absolution was over. Seemed unlikely I was going to get another war out of that +5% administrative efficiency age power before then, unfortunately.

Isocrates Philonid became a scholar in the middle of 1706 (fracking finally), which was something useful... A colonist could finally be sent to the mission province... A second recalled, was dispatched to the last bit of land to the far north of Demetris in Rat Cove (might as well get those last three provinces freaking locked down, right?)

Fabricated the third claims on Tunis and Bahamis. I decided that for the former, the long wait for the last claim wasn't worth it and recalled the diplomat - ready to do some actual fightin'. (So, y'know, I did SOMETHING this session...) While, on the one hand, I was sacrificing a bit of siege-speed, Tunis appeared to only have two forts and Bahamis has still got loads of claims for me to work on, so I figured it would be best to just leave the diplomat working away at it and reducing the cost for later.

Well. Now able to look at the Imperialism cassus belli in game - SO MUCH BETTER than I thought it was! The 75% warscore cost applies to all provinces! Heck, I might MAYBE not even need to dip into my diplomacy points! Frag damn!

Right! War for Tunis, RIGHT NOW!

Aragon would be willing to join the war... Thanks, guys, but no ta. I can deal with this myself.

War taxes up, since gold is still racking up.

BUUUUUUUT!

Upon looking, gross income is now:

*drum roll*

535.28 ducats per month!

Before I do anything!

That's it folks, we have officially hit the Ideas Guy threshold! BOOM! Mission objective complete! Everything else is gravy.

So, war taxes, then...!

By March 1707, Tunis was neatly wrapped up with a little bow on it.

DANG IT! Can't complete annex Tunis, because two provinces were isolated by the Ottoman Empire and two uncolonised provinces between them and me. I'd been able to move troops up, but I forgot about not being able to core that. Knowing my blasted luck, that would have been dealt with by the first Age power of the next age (no distance on coring) or something. (Or not? I dunno?) Nevermind, they get to be a vassal with those last two provinces instead (for a liveable-with diplomatic cost). Well, they'll be an integration target as soon as we can, since unless I decide to attack the Ottoman Empire, there's nothing to core. Well... That said, they ARE allied to Bahamis...

Oh, but wait! This means our friends in the UK can be stomped on sharply now! Don't need to wait around, I can do that pretty much as I like. (Only 43% overextension.) Great! (I will send a ship to their colonies, though, first.)

I just increased my total development, didn't I?

Oh bollocks to it, tech penalty doesn't mean anything it I keep spending monarch points on wars, right?

October 24th (my birthday!), and the ship was close enough to get started.

May 1708, and Britain was subdued. Which only left their one ally, the Papal State. I could have just taken Britain there and then - but... A couple of other provinces would be nice, and it would by some time for the overextension from Tunis to complete a bit first (as Britain would push us just over 100%).

Ooookay...? I thought I was going to hit the military point cap (just missed it in the excitement, but I'm at 1000, and apparently my cap is currently 1078? Maybe because I've not embraced the current institution? That's useful to know...

Heh! good call. First Tunis cores completed, and there's just one bit of the Papal State to go.

All Tunis cores done...!

16th of April 1709, and the Gelre, the Papal State's second and final province was down. Time to mop up!

Well. I was going to give Gelre to Holland, but that was more warscore than taking it myself. Okay then. Taking all of Britain and the Papal States was JUST 100 warscore. Right, that'll does, ta!

NOW we can take military tech 25 and upgrade our cannons from Coehorn Mortar to Royal Mortar!

Having completed the colonial mission in there, I now took the "reduce overextension mission" next.

I sent the diplomat over to Tunis for a bit, since there would be a bit of a refractory period before I was ready to attempt Bahamis (and the Ottomans!) My plan for the immediate moment was to get my troops redeployed back somewhere sensible and call it a night.

(Made the most of that 5% admin efficiency after all, didn't I?)

Pahahahahaha! I forgot that! The Papal State reforms, doesn't it, if there's Catholic nations left! Some fracker just had to give Frisia up for them...!

Our military advisor got an even to give some bonus admin, plus +10% discipline. With the military advisor having been replaced recently anyway (to give a +5% discipline bonus), it meant, two months from the Age of Revolutions (which had a discipline-based goal) was 138%, 13% more than we needed! Fan-fracking-tastic!

On 1st of February, 1710, the Age of Revolution began.

Necrolantis instantly made four goals of the seven: Emperor-rank government, having a 250 development subject (Telesphoria, without even looking, maybe more than one!), 125% Discipline and a capital of over 50 development. (Cap Verde is, like, 72 or something daft!) Of the other goals, having a parliamentary government was off the table, it was VERY unlikely we could ever get enough tradition to get a three-star general, and controlling two institutions spawns would be tricky of anyone, since they were so widely spaced. Still, the splendour points would be just pouring in for us anyway!

And there, we shall leave things for today.

London is just about done with enlightenment, but it could be easily another year or two before anyone else catches up (and *sigh* maybe longer before I actually get that 10% anyway!)

Europe and Africa, though, are starting to blacken quite nicely! And aside from a few French colonies (whose time will come at some point) and Castilian Manumuskin, most of the New World is under Necrolantic control.

Things are in motion for India to come under the sway, and now Imperialism is up, the drain on diplomacy points is going to drop off. The next idea group is next admin tech (though as that will be admin, it'll sharply curb conquest for a bit, aside from making client states or vassal feeding - on the other hand, it might be a good time to start diplo-annexing some of said vassals!

Best of all, I didn't get bad-event-spammed to fury tonight, which made for a change!

Until next time!

3. - Top - End - #513
    Spamalot in the Playground

Wow I love this diss, and I need to find a way to use it somehow.
    Hee. I know I've heard it before outside pony. Can't remember where though, but one fellow D&D player did manage to hit another PC with it when the party was debating disguises or something akin to it for a stealth mission. Yeah, good times. One of the last great jokes from the old group I think.

[Nothing but truth]
    Right? Do the royal sisters know? Surprised they haven't been disbanded yet. Must be nice to get away with jerkdom.

That's rough. :( I feel your pain, as I got a great aunt in similar condition. *hug*

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Still sick, so not a good idea to watch the new DWK video. He knocks it out of the park this time (as always NSFW, heavy language) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP_aOEZ6YzA
    Wait, so it's bad idea to watch, so you're watching and endorsing?

Well guess I should avoid going down to Build-A-Bear.
    Spoiler: Movie Spoilers
    Show
    So it looks like Tempest is now a Build-A-Bear plush. Eh, it's alright, but I'm more interested in the armor. Too bad I'm poor. I'd totally buy that outfit for my Trixie plush and I don't need temptations like that to stay broke.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

MLP comic #56

Spoiler
    Show
    See, for frag's sake, show, THIS is how you write a good Spike story.

See that? Spike one again, proving that while Twilight is Princess of Friendship, why HE is the frickin' Equetrian Ambassador.

MLP comic #57

Spoiler
    Show
    Pinkthulu confirmed...

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Wait, so it's bad idea to watch, so you're watching and endorsing?

Well guess I should avoid going down to Build-A-Bear.
    Spoiler: Movie Spoilers
    Show
    So it looks like Tempest is now a Build-A-Bear plush. Eh, it's alright, but I'm more interested in the armor. Too bad I'm poor. I'd totally buy that outfit for my Trixie plush and I don't need temptations like that to stay broke.
    Already coughing, laughing just makes me cough more.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Barbarian in the Playground

New official short featuring Celestia.

Spoiler: Celestia Short
    Show
    You know I can buy Snails getting into Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns after the incredible fine telekinetic control he displayed during Buck Ball Season. But what the heck is Snips doing there?

7. - Top - End - #517

Already coughing, laughing just makes me cough more.
    Well that's helpful in getting that crud out of your lungs where it don't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Show
    Celly's animation seems off.

The chalkboard art was kinda eh. Like someone found the Emboss filter and went wild. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #518
    Banned

Show
    You know I can buy Snails getting into Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns after the incredible fine telekinetic control he displayed during Buck Ball Season. But what the heck is Snips doing there?
    Show
    CSGU learned its lesson from splitting up Sunburst and Starlight, and admitted Snips for fear he'd become a villain down the road if he didn't.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    CSGU learned its lesson from splitting up Sunburst and Starlight, and admitted Snips for fear he'd become a villain down the road if he didn't.
    Spoiler: Sunbutt Short
    Show
    That seems legit.

Aside from, y'know, the credibility-stretching idea of an institution learning anything, like, ever...

Also, Flurry can teleport. Did she do that before, or is it only now the world is doomed?
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-09-01 at 08:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Show
    That seems legit.

Aside from, y'know, the credibility-stretching idea of an institution learning anything, like, ever...

Also, Flurry can teleport. Did she do that before, or is it only now the world is doomed?
    Flurry teleported in A Flurry of Emotions.

11. - Top - End - #521

Show
    That seems legit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Celestia runs the School, doesn't she?

She seems to be more intelligent and on the ball than most School Administrators.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

New official short featuring Celestia.

Show
    Spoiler: uh... that short thingy, and a long rant about your simple question
    Show
    I have an answer for that, but it's more fan speculation than clear conclusion from canon.

So anyway, there's this big back story going on in Equestria. The ponies have turned their world to under their complete rule, banished most of chaos (pushed it back to small pockets of normalcy for balance actually), but there's a big price to pay for this. They have to maintain all the processes that used to be natural. They have to maintain weather, change seasons, oversee plant and animal growth.

An important part of this is done by Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, who are using their own magic to move the Sun and Moon all the time, even when they're captured and weakened for days at a time by some supervillain. They also guard ponies in their dreams and have ordinary royal duties, and probably much more other important tasks in the background that we never find out about. The royal sisters have been doing this for a really long time. We also know from the comics that at least moving the Sun and Moon is a task that almost no other ponies can do in the longer term. Basically, without Princess Celestia or Princess Luna available, the whole Equestria would turn to an uninhabitable catastrophe of a world.

It's not hard to see how delicate of a balance this is. While the royal sisters aren't exactly weak, there are threats that could disable them at some point. They're also probably getting really tired in all this ruling the world thing. So at least during the thousand years before S1, when Princess Luna was disabled, Princess Celestia has decided she needs an heir. The best way to do that job is to choose an heir herself, raise her by her own superior education, and send them to strange missions that will give them just the right experience, without telling them all the details about the burden she's going to eventually put on them if she succeeds. We've seen at least two attempts of this, namely Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle. Twilight was clearly hand-picked for his incredible talent, and so far she is a big success, she has even borne the sisters' alicorn magic and moved the sun for a short while and lived through that. We don't know much about Sunset's past (I think she's actually Celestia's daughter, but that's probably just The Giver's influence on me), but it seems like she's turned out somewhat OK now.

There's also the issue with Starlight Glimmer. She's a bit of a loose cannon, it's not quite clear if she'd help or try to take over when the next big supervillain comes, but Celestia seems to trust Twilight and Sunset that she'll be able to guide her on the right side. All together, when a big crisis comes, there's a lot of help Twilight and Celestia and Luna may be able to summon for the aid of Equestria now. Apart from Twilight and her group of friends and all the other ponies and animals that answer them (and even the whole Ponyville that one time in S5 E13) and Starlight, they might be able to enlist Discord (this one is also uncertain and depends on the kind of threat), Sunset and her friends including human world Twilight, Shining Armor and Princess Cadence, and perhaps even the dragons and changelings and yaks and buffalos. We won't see them help out all at once, but the leaders can choose the right tool for the right job. If the threat is another one of those that's magically tearing apart the very fabric of spacetime, then Twilight, Starlight Glimmer, Sunburst, Discord, Sunset Shimmer, human Twilight, and Juniper Montage together will use their universe shaping magic powers together to neutralize it. If the threat is a superpowered martial artist tiger that has broken out of his prison by picking the locks of the shackles immobilizing him with a duck's feather and is now turning all the ponies to his slave by sheer force and seeking the one scroll in the Canterlot archives that will make him an even stronger martial artist, then the dragons will drive him into a narrow creak and the buffalos will trample over him and then buffalo flattened hide not perfect, yaks DESTROY!

So anyway, I'm not saying Princess Celestia can now feel herself completely safe and rest and retire, but she can at least have a breather. While Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns is certainly a tool for finding potential heirs and raising them the right way, it's probably also Celestia's hobby. I mean, she's a teacher in the mirror universe and the EG5 Q8 short shows she enjoys teaching more than her duties as school principal. Also, most of the time she actually pays attention to what Twilight reports to her, and Twilight has confirmed how important friendship is to her, not that Celestia didn't know that already, since she was always the white one who managed to convert Twilight to that direction. So from this school thing, if someone like Snails applies, Celestia would rather see another Lemon Hearts and Twinkleshine as the outcome than another Moon Dancer, and so she invited Snails' friend Snips even if Snips isn't a Gifted Unicorn. That's how I answer your question.

Now as for that short itself.
    Spoiler: let's watch that short thingy
    Show
    • Hehe. This seem like another one like half of the S7 episodes, where MLP is talking to the fourth wall and making fun of itself.
    • Princess Celestia is using magical chalkboard drawings because she doesn't want to reveal her extensive magical security camera system. She only showed that on screen once, in S3 E13, to the one student who she trusts will not betray her secret, and even then only in her own extradimensional realm where other ponies won't eavesdrop.
    • Look, she even mentions the magic of friendship in that introduction. That's what I said.

Show
    The chalkboard art was kinda eh. Like someone found the Emboss filter and went wild. XD
    Spoiler: that short
    Show
    Yeah it wasn't good. But we take what we get when MLP throws us a surprise gift short in September.

Show
    Show
    Ah yes. If you don't want to read my rant, here's the summary.

Show
    Show
    She did, right in S6 E1.

Is that short really made by Hasbro by the way? There's no blue checkmark*, it's not apparently part of a series of shorts (not even just three), and there's way too few MLP jingles and title screens in it and no advertisments pointing to more of their videos at the end. It looks suspiciously like it was made by a VERY dedicated fan who slapped on some official logos. *Ok, there is a check mark, but it's not blue, and I don't think it means it's actually Hasbro, only that they know the identity of who's behind the channel.

-----
    Update: I discarded this part accidentally while editing this post.
    Walkers have their uses - dense terrain, heavily forested areas, urban areas etc.
    And a way for pilot Pirx to exit like a legend. That's a use too, right?
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-09-02 at 09:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: To Change A Changeling
    Show
    This episode continues to prove my point that Starlight's core character flaw is a complete inability to think anything through (seriously, leading a giant mole-monster back to the changeling hive, that is some Snips and Snails level stupidity right there).
    I'm not entirely sure how I felt about Pharynx himself, though. He's one of those characters that's right on the edge between being an unlikable jerkass and an entertaining jerkass.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Show
    This episode continues to prove my point that Starlight's core character flaw is a complete inability to think anything through (seriously, leading a giant mole-monster back to the changeling hive, that is some Snips and Snails level stupidity right there).
    I'm not entirely sure how I felt about Pharynx himself, though. He's one of those characters that's right on the edge between being an unlikable jerkass and an entertaining jerkass.
    Spoiler: To Change a Changeling
    Show
    Yeah, Starlight embraced that idiot ball. It kinda made some of the amusing prods Trixie said to be justified. Oh how I love you, Trixie. You're such an adorable narcissist,
    but you cave in to the truths when they confront you. That's what I like about you. You KNOW you're number two, and you just wanna try harder to be #1 even if it's unobtainable, and when pressed, you do the right thing and join in on the adventure to make things right. You get a cookie. Starlight too. I mean like...

Okay, what I totally love about Trixie X Starlight, is that are both flawed ponies that still make their friendship work. They put up with each other and that just makes their friendship real. How many of us are perfect friends with other perfect friends? None, we all got flaws, our friends got flaws, and real friendship is dealing with that and seeing the good parts of them that make you stay friends. :>

I guess I will never like the new changing look, but at least I can appreciate the varying colors schemes and that they are all really into crafts. Artists, eh? That's pretty neat I guess. Also, I guess changelings who are masters of shapeshifting can shift into more massive things. Wow. Nice to see that also shifting into objects wasn't a one-off joke by Thorax. Cool.

Overall a fun episode I liked it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't seen the new episode yet, but I'll bother you for a moment.

But I was thinking about Gloriosa and how she seems so young to want to take care of the camp, and how her parents are probably in some kind of trouble and can't raise them and she has to support herself and her parents and maybe her younger sisters too. And that led to the thought of Applejack of course and her parents. And I thought of her parents seriously, and what we've seen in S6 and S7, what with meeting Rainbow Dash's parents and Twilight's parents, and with all the ponies getting so powerful. And I thought more of her parents, and was trying to imagine where they could be and why they didn't appear on screen and why Applejack and Apple Bloom don't so much as mention them. And I couldn't come up with any excuse that works anymore! This is the terrible part. I seriously tried to think of an alternative, and some of them are ones I wouldn't wish for anyone about their parents, but none of them work in this case. If their parents are incurably ill or in a coma and need professional care far away from Ponyville, we'd have seen them by now or at least heard of them. If they are just working far away from Ponyville, Applejack could have visited them by now. If they have been turned to evil undead abominations who don't seem to remember their past selves by a mind-controlling plague, Applejack would have at least mentioned that to Starlight by now. Now I have no choice but to accept that Applejack's parents are dead.

(We still know little enough about Scootaloo that I can choose from the various fantasies.)

16. - Top - End - #526
    Banned

Show
    Show
    For me, very much an entertaining jerkass in an episode full of normally-unlikeable jerkasses. And Thorax. Never change, you buttery nebbish, you.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2017-09-02 at 03:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    This one suffered by the changed release date; it seemed too fast for Ember's advice to had yielded results. Pharanx was a neat character that I hope shows up again.

All and all, not horrible, but it's in the middle of the pack as far as good episodes this season. Though admittedly that's not as big of an insult considering some of the amazing episodes this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Now it's time for me to watch S7 E17.
    Spoiler: let's watch S7 E17
    Show
    S7 E17 To change a changeling, thoughts as I watch.
    • It's Starlight Glimmer and Trixie! That's a sign of a good episode, the two are great together. And give him a rest, Trixie, there's still an artifact throne in there which blocks her from teleporting any closer.
    • Wait, the throne was destroyed? No way! They didn't destroy it.
    • A dread Maud digging holes in the rock everywhere? Oh I see, Thorax meant the other kind of mole, as in, a covert agent, and Starlight just misunderstood the letters!
    • Oh nice! He puts his victims in an antimagic bag. The brother whose name I don't remember is a good planner, he knows how important the throne is to protect the changelings. Either that, or it's a bag of holding so he can lift them more easily, its inside counts as an extradimensional space, and Starlight's teleport spell works only within the same plane.
    • Oh I see. It was Trixie who tried to teleport away, not Sunset.
    • Starlight in a surprised voice “Your brother?” Well, Starlight, they all hatched from eggs the previous queen Chrysalis has laid, so they're all at least half-brothers, and they don't know or care about who their father is. That's how hives work.
    • (Thorax shows the “new activities”.) Oh no. It's going to be like Twilight's scary dream from S7 E1 about Starlight Glimmer going to the changeling lands, is it?
    • So, um, why don't they send Pharynx to deal with the mole wurm? If he really wants to work on the security of the hive so much, let him handle it? Or is that bad because he'll just suggest to get rid of all the plants so the mole has nothing to eat? That wouldn't be enough for a wurm though. (The transcript actually calls it a “maulwurf”, what's the background of that one? Could any roleplayers with large number of monster manual volumes enlighten me? [Update: apparently it's the German name for moles. Can still be a fantasy monster with that name though. I mean, MLP has Urza too.])
    • (Feelings forum, led by changeling in stereotypical Indian tribe leader dress.) Pharynx practically offered he knows how to defeat the maulwurf. Why don't you at least ask if he wants to? Might cheer him up.
    • (Starlight explains he'll have Pharynx fight the mole wurm.) Great! Starlight finally has the right idea.
    • (Pharynx is gone.) It's still a good plan? (unsure voice) Um, the changeling hive will see how useful Pharynx is by realizing they need him? I don't think he's gone for good though. He's probably still sticking around somewhere disguised. Also, the celebration scene reminds me to the start of Ace Ventura 2, when the monks celebrate Ace leaving the monastery. Just like Ace, nobody went as far as kicking him out of the monastery, but almost everyone is happy to see him leave. Did Thorax give him a parting present like the master did to Ace?
    • (Starlight giving a speech.) Ah yes! Starlight is finally in her elements, manipulating an entire town with his charisma. This is the kind of mission where she can really shine. (None of them came… yet.) Yeah, I thought they wouldn't. Still, the speech will show its effect later.
    • (First look at the molewurf.) That's just a giant mole with some big rabbit teeth, isn't it? I expected something better. Even S5 E9 had a bee-bear. How is this a wurm or wolf at all?
    • (Starlight shoots a spell at the mole.) Ok, it might at least have some resistances. (Thorax: “really thick hides”.) Really thick, eh? Is that like 80% monMR and -2 to pierce weapon attacks? Nah, it's probably still outclassed by these four here.
    • Oh I see. So the Great and Powerful Trixie and Starlight will just stand there and not directly fight it, to show a lesson. Then, yes, then it might be a challenge. Changelings don't really have enough experience for this, not even as a hive, so Pharynx's leadership will have to shine. Can he lead well enough that he gives a +2 circumstance and +2 morale bonus to each of those changelings?
    • Ah! It was defeated by its own teeth! A bit strange, but at least explains the wurm part a bit.
    • (Pharynx starting to transform, in the floating in the air with bright light animé transformation style used in the EG movies so they don't have to animate the transformation even if the camera is looking there.) Oh no! He'll freak out about his new form! For a second I guess, then shapeshift back.
    • Bill Newton, the voice actor for Bright Macintosh, was voicing Pharynx.
    • This was an unexpectedly good episode. Finally sent Starlight and Trixie for a task that was just made for them. Thorax seemed like a good leader, always keeping the whole situation in his hands and did as much as he could. (Twilight no longer has to be afraid. If she sends Glimmy to the changeling lands, the level-headed Thorax will keep her in check when she has really bad ideas.) And they resolved Thorax's leadership in a decent way. It wasn't perfect, but I Was scared of the changeling episode because of how bad it could have been. Thank you, creators.

Show
    Also, I guess changelings who are masters of shapeshifting can shift into more massive things. Wow.
    Spoiler: S7 E17 reply
    Show
    Nah, they can probably only change to monsters with size between tiny and large inclusive, Pharynx just scoured the source books for a giant spider that was printed as large instead of huge by mistake and is abusing the rules that way. Either that, or they get the ability to shift to huge monsters when they level up enough. In either case, I guess shapeshifting power is probably not just cosmetic, they can probably use it for useful tasks off-screen like shifting to a rock mole to dig tunnels or an sqiud to squirt paint or a spider to weave silk or even a chimpanzee to manipulate objects with their hands. That's why they don't seem to have much technology around.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-09-02 at 07:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    But on the other hand,
    Show
    It did work in a different way, like Pharynx saw the mole coming en route and Changelings having delayed reaction from "epic" speech.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    But on the other hand,
    Show
    It did work in a different way, like Pharynx saw the mole coming en route and Changelings having delayed reaction from "epic" speech.
    Show
    Just because things turned out alright in the end doesn't make Starlight's plan any less terrible.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

New episode:

Spoiler: s7e17 (double checked this time)
    Show
    Starlight. You fought an alicorn princess to a standstill, how were you not splattering the changling slash monster! Not teleporting out of the bag so you can find out what's going on, though? Smart. I'd have done that too.

Okay, Changelings plus Trixie, Digo's gonna be happy, even if it is New Changelings...

Confirmed, Changelings dumb as ponies...

Well, that was a pretty good episode. Trixie is... Still Evil? Or at least, Still Trixie.

We're really hammering the expanded cast this season (which I actually like).

And, we got something a bit more action-y for a change, because we don't get that enough.

Nor bad, not bad at all.

Right, back through thread...

Show
    Show
    Oh how I love you, Trixie. You're such an adorable narcissist, Overall a fun episode I liked it.
    Spoiler: s7e17
    Show
    So, we if put Trixie and Starlight together, they are nearly Rufus from Deponia, only very slightly less destructive.

Show
    Overall a fun episode I liked it.
    Spoiler: s7e17
    Show
    I wasn't wrong, then.

Show
    I guess I will never like the new changing look,
    That makes two of us, my friend.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-09-02 at 06:45 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532

Spoiler
    Show
    This was another smash hit, I can legit never get enough of Trixie and Glimglams.

*Throws a hooffull of dust at the giant mole monster*

You go Trixie.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't watch the episode yet, it's week 1 of college football! :/

Now for the new episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    Holy crap, a Psych reference from Trixie. Best thing.

Ok, that's it.

Show

Okay, what I totally love about Trixie X Starlight, is that are both flawed ponies that still make their friendship work. They put up with each other and that just makes their friendship real. How many of us are perfect friends with other perfect friends? None, we all got flaws, our friends got flaws, and real friendship is dealing with that and seeing the good parts of them that make you stay friends. :>
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, but Starlight as a person and friend is much more likable than Trixie. Trixie clearly still has her "I'm better than everyone" attitude, she's just, a friend...now, for whatever reason. In this episode, she was insufferable. Starlight is a good person who just still happens to make mistakes.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2017-09-02 at 11:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Hugs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks

On the one hand, she's done quite well, but on the larger downhand, that might not be a good thing depending on how bad the Alzhiemers is. I have been very fortunate in that out of my set of grandparents, only one (my adoptive grandmother) suffered in that regard. (Grandma died when I was very long, and Grandad and Bampy were lucid to the end, and Nanny is still going strong, even if she can't get around easily anymore.) I only have a sliver of an idea how difficult that is, but you have my commissierations and sympathy.
    Well she can't talk, move, or recognize pretty much anyone. So she's pretty bad off. On a related note, nursing homes are incredibly depressing. I was talking to another resident (not my grandmother), who eventually was crying and asking to leave the home. But she couldn't even remember me from the start of the conversation.

Its tough, and nurses have an all new level of respect from me now. I could not handle that job that they perform so excellently.

In happier news here is a great story for you all called Love is in Doom. It has the Apocalypse and what seems to be a romance story. EQG style.

Best quote, no context?

Pinkie Pie nodded gravely again. “I,” she said “am not a doctor.”
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Best quote, no context?
    Pinkie Pie nodded gravely again. “I,” she said “am not a doctor.”
    It's even funnier in context...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

26. - Top - End - #536

Show
    And Thorax. Never change, you buttery nebbish, you.
    Spoiler: TCaC
    Show
    Hee, yeah. He's pretty adorable in his unsure self-conscious way.

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Spoiler: S7 E17 reply
    Show
    Nah, they can probably only change to monsters with size between tiny and large inclusive, Pharynx just scoured the source books for a giant spider that was printed as large instead of huge by mistake and is abusing the rules that way. Either that, or they get the ability to shift to huge monsters when they level up enough. In either case, I guess shapeshifting power is probably not just cosmetic, they can probably use it for useful tasks off-screen like shifting to a rock mole to dig tunnels or an sqiud to squirt paint or a spider to weave silk or even a chimpanzee to manipulate objects with their hands. That's why they don't seem to have much technology around.
    Okay, no more 3rd party Green Ronin books for you.

Show
    Just because things turned out alright in the end doesn't make Starlight's plan any less terrible.
    Show
    Right? She has the worst ideas. Even Trixie paid enough attention to see how badly this idea was going.

New episode:

Spoiler: s7e17 (double checked this time)
    Show
    Well, that was a pretty good episode. Trixie is... Still Evil? Or at least, Still Trixie.

That makes two of us, my friend
    Show
    She's Trixie, fits a category of alignment all her own. ;)

Ah good, so at least when I draw more changelings in their original flavor, someone appreciates it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Throws a hooffull of dust at the giant mole monster*

You go Trixie.
    Show
    Sand in the eye is a very effective battle tactic. :>

Throwing the rock was a nice bonus.

Now for the new episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, but Starlight as a person and friend is much more likable than Trixie. Trixie clearly still has her "I'm better than everyone" attitude, she's just, a friend...now, for whatever reason. In this episode, she was insufferable. Starlight is a good person who just still happens to make mistakes.
    Show
    Trixie is still boastful, but it doesn't seem hard to put her in her place if you push back. Starlight just doesn't really do it often. As an example, when Starlight said that Trixie accepted she was now only the #2 Unicorn to Twilight, Trixie didn't have any rebuttal to that.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

In case anypony hasn't heard yet, Hasbro accidentally posted next weeks episode on youtube.

My Homebrew

Show

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: E17 To Change a Changeling
    Show
    Still lovin' Trixie. It's actually interesting, she's probably one of the few ponies who still carry that nostalgic feeling of season one/the early haydays of fanfic despite the development she's gone through as a character. At least for me.

The dread [mumble mumble] Uh, can you please repeat that ... maybe a few more times?

Are all changelings named after body parts and organs, I wonder?

I kinda have to agree about the holes. The hive could use more holes.

Oh Trixie, never ever change.

Oh my gad, these changelings have become awful, just awful!

Starlight gets all dramatic! I'm glad she gets to use her charisma more than her magic, though.

What if he liked looking the way he did, huh? He clearly doesn't care for the frilly stuff or the bright, happy colors, so why must he be forced to look different? That's just not right, you know. He should have been allowed to still look the same, imo.

Overall, a great episode. Anything with Trixie is proving to be an instant success. That pony just can't do wrong.

29. - Top - End - #539

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Show
    Overall, a great episode. Anything with Trixie is proving to be an instant success. That pony just can't do wrong.
    You have great tastes in ponies today. :D

Spoiler: Non-spoiler Trixie/Starlight
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

In case anypony hasn't heard yet, Hasbro accidentally posted next weeks episode on youtube.
    Wow. This is indeed getting ridiculous, releasing the wrong episode again. I remember when S5 E21 got accidentally released early, before E18, and people thought it lucky that E21 showed the Crusaders with their cutie marks covered by costumes, whereas E19, which wasn't leaked, allows full view of their cutie marks. Together with how well Hasbro has made sure the cutie marks wouldn't appear on toys until after E18 aired, this sounds a bit suspicious in retrospect, as if they deliberately allowed for that particular episode to leak, just to tease people with the costumes. (At that point, the title of E18 was already known, and people were speculating a lot and debating whether the Crusaders would get their cutie mark in that episode.) With the high number of other visible mistakes Hasbro makes, they really have plausible deniability for any marketing trick they disguise as an accidental leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Show
    The dread [mumble mumble] Uh, can you please repeat that ... maybe a few more times?
    Spoiler: S7 E17
    Show
    Yeah, that's why I always watch new episodes with a dialog transcript ready. In this case, it was a “maulwurf”, which I chose to interpret as a mole wurm, but actually it's a german word for a mole.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-09-03 at 01:52 PM.