New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCVII: Cheerilee's Lonely Hearts Club

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Well she can't talk, move, or recognize pretty much anyone. So she's pretty bad off.
    Grim. I'm sorry to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    It's even funnier in context...
    Indeed.

Mff. So, I have, in the end, had to fork out £45 quid (a year) this morning for the new place to host my photos (SmugMug) since Photobucket went insane (and I don't want to trust the free sites not to do the same a year or two down the line and this is partly for business). No other option really, trying even to find a place was very hard (this was one of only two). Still, it is at least stable and whatnot, so there's that.

Bleakplays Plays EUIV: Necrolantis Rises!

Spoiler: Necrolantis Arises! 28
    Show
    Making an effort on this, since I'd like to get at least ONE of these PDX games done at some point (CK2 is still 200 years off and I'm so large, it's getting a touch tedious even without going for world conquest and I'm sort of waiting for the Aztecs to invade, but at this rate I'll be invading India just to have something to do...!)

So, first of all, break while we let the over-extension settle and maybe enlightenment catch up. It's another seven years before we can have another go at Castile anyway (next time, we'll do it WITHOUT Aragon's "help").

Looking around, very interestingly, Kilwe (which lies around the horn of Africa and down the east coast - is a great power. Intriguing. Ming is still well ahead in score and seems to be accelerating away, which is annoying, but doesn't really matter (since we're great power #1 by miles).

Actually, probably ought not to expand massively until I get enlightenment a bit more, so as not too keep pushing that 10% limit higher, right?

Oop, there go the Tunisian rebels...

We got some mercenary corruption, followed by an innovative breakthrough for some monarch points.

21st of November 1710, and all the coring was done. the next choice of missions was the BLASTED proper fleet mission that has pervaded the top slot (I am NOT building another 380 freaking ships!), an enemy of my enemy for getting the Ottomans (who I'd be fighting soonish...) to 100 relations or a conquer the whiteskins for Leon. So I decided to hold off, since even I picked either of those two, I wasn't going to be making inroads for a bit, so I figured I might as well wait and see if anything better cropped up.

After stating Ireland, I had only got one state left (and only ten more before the end of the game).

1711, and another colony finished. I thought that it was perhaps about time to start on some of the provinces in Africa, while still picking away at Jaqo Sepri. (Now, with Imperialism, once I freed a diplomat up from their jobs, I might consider doing a bit of quick conquest and snagging a load of the Mesoamerica lands, but we would see.)

January 1712, and we now had enlightenment in four provinces (5.4% development... Yay.) A couple more years and we'd have made a claim on every bit of Bahamis we could! The diplomat in Tunis would be done by the end of the year, too.

I could pass the abolition of slavery act... For a -5% cost to technology, a -1% missionary strength and -5% tax (and an irrelevant -5% stability cost). So, nope, slaves stay.

Okay, I sent a couple of 24k stacks over to Jaqo Sepri. I could pass a lot of the coring to Nikandris anyway and it wouldn't take much diplomatic points... Might as well have a good stab at 'em all while they were still fairly weak (and France's CN was looking a little too big for my liking).

Oh hey, land force limit was up by enough to have another couple of 24k armies! Neat! I also started upgrading the transport fleets (aside from the two on duty), but with an eye to the embrace cost, didn't do the heavy or light ships yet. I had considered building more transports, but that could wait a bit now.

And then I got a windfall of a harvest worth 3.3k ducats. Okay, let's upgrade some ships and make some boats!

The transport arrived in Nikandris in Jaqo Sepri, and ALSO got put on the upgrade cycle!

October, and Necrolantis' reputation for fair dealing got +50 approval from its small legion of vassals.

Actually, you know, it might be time to start combining the 24ks into 48ks (and replacing some cavalry with infantry).

November and - joy! We had out 10% - now I just needed a touch more gold to embrace and we were well on the way!

December 1713, and the diplomat was on his way home from Tunis - time to start on Jaqo Sepri!

Diplomat to Beja... And time to take the first Mesoamerican nations!

Gusatahua and their ally Ixconocho (who I couldn't quite get to yet - I could see there was going to be a series of simultaneous wars...!) were first up. Oh, okay, the ally didn't want to play! Even better!

Momentary bafflement, as for some WEIRD reason, one of the provinces was split across what appeared to be two areas, so when commanded to go there, my army went to a province in another country which presumably was in the middle. ???

Guastahua was nearly down, so (to save on diplomat cycle time) rather than end that was, we started the next one to Zopochec and their ally Pultico.

September, and we started the third war, on Tarastami (partly a lot of this was just to GETTING to the enemy...!) We could now embrace enlightenment... But I'd have to burn some diplomacy points first, since it would take us over the newly-reinstated cap. Okay then!

That instantly enabled us to grab Diplomatic tech 24 and 25 (damn it, if I'd have should have waited to upgrade my heavies, since I could have jumped two steps...!Actually, I probably should have waited for Diplo 26, since that's the final stage of all of 'em! *skulldesk* Eh, easy come, easy go...) That brought us up to current.

Oh, THAT'S why I can't invade those three red provinces down south. They are Zapatatec, not Zopochec. Well, forgive ME for not spotting they had slightly difference names and the same colour. The sooner our diplomat gets that last claim in Bahamis done, the sooner we can get another chap on this bit...!

October, and the price of sugar rose by +50 permanently! Great.

November, and a revolt in Morocco... that would not take long...

December, Diplomat back - declare on Zapatatec!

February - declare on Iztopan!

March and huzzah, we made the last claim on Bahamis (we made SEVEN in total), so the diplomat was now free to help the ridiculous war effort in Jaqo Sepri.

May 1714 - declare on Ixconocho! (And their vassal, even better!)

Sure, I could start peacing 'em out, but where's the fun in that...! My CNs had arrived at it was just utterly hilarious.

Late June 1714 - declare on Tejascan (who losing the wars against the other nations, must have met this with a sense of resignation, maybe even relief..!)

July - declare on Acaziltetl!

Right, that was everyone! Eight simultaneous wars! It's an academy record!

Pahahahahahaha!

August and because I hadn't saved, influenza. I grudgingly let the game have it this time, but only because I was continuously bouncing off the Admin cap. Late August and despite how funny all these wars were, I supposed I'd better start ending them.

Well. Interesting. My diplomat kept instantly retuning (presumably because all the land was immediately going to Nikandris), so I was able to peace out, like five of the wars in a row!

Couple of colonies finished, so I sent one to Jaqo Sepri (to an 8-dev region) and one more Africa, near my own home territory where there were a couple of otherwise lock provinces I'd just not got to yet. (I was pretty confident after this, Nikandris would be able to take French Jaqo Sepri...!)

Missionaries to Anacona...

By January, it was all done and dusted!

Right. That was a fun little diversion. Castile and France now were the only ones with any holdings in the new world. Two years before I could take another shot at them... I could make a stab at the Ottomans and Bahamis in the meantime, but that would likely take AGES. Sadly, there were not any more obvious targets I could take in one bite (and only a few obvious targets) and I didn't want to commit to any more fronts at the moment. So, refractory period then (shame I cannot quite reach the next Admin tech (where I will want admin ideas)), but them's the breaks, I guess. We've still got a century left, I suppose, and we HAVE achieved the main objective...

Missions... There was (out of the only choice of two that matters...) an interesting one to remove Utretch from the map, but that would mean tangling with the HRE and I just didn't have the position to do that easily at the moment. So I took the conquer the whiteskins for Salamanca in Castile, since I was going for them anyway, next. Spy off to build some more claims...

Colonist to Jaqo Sepri, to help fill in the banks before France did...

June 1717 and the very first age power was available. I took unrestricted coring distance.

March 1716, and one colony in Africa finished, so I moved it right along to the next province...

On 23rd May, 1716, Paramount Priest Isocrates Philonid (6/6/3) was replaced by Omirus Alcetid (4/4/3 5/5/5)/ Once more, a merchant's son, Aleos Therid (5/5/4 - hey, that'll do without faffing! Neat!) became the new heir; Aleos was a scholar. (Double neat.)

November 1717, after a peaceful few years (and quite a lot of various admin development!) Necrolantis was ready to hit Castile once more. This time, we had four 48k armies ready to strike, and two 24k armies ready in Manumuskin. With their only allies being the OPM of the knights in the Med, this would not prove to be difficult. (And this time, Aragon was going to stay out of it!)

Or not. Seems France was guaranteeing Castile's independence. whelp. This was going to get interesting. 'Spose I'd better call Aragon in after all, then.

So. Despite France weighing in, by February 1718, the Knights had been subdued. I considered what to do with them and then decided, sod it, might as well annex 'em. Have to watch for rebels, but I figured I could deal with that. They would be a prime candidate for conversion next time it came up, thought, as that would help shut it down.

May, and Castile was fading fast. (My biggest concern was that damned Aragon was besieging one of the provinces I wanted and France was not dislodging them like wanted.) I could have afforded the next admin tech, but I wanted to preserve the admin for the conquest. So more development to do... This was likely going to be the last conquest war for a bit. (1729 before the claims on Bahamis started to run out - we might have to move a bit before we got all the next idea branch, then, unfortunately.)

The dawn on 1720 - just a hundred years to go saw deferring the tech once more and the war raged (at 28% warscore).

In April, I burnt some diplomacy on culture conversion (picking the cheap options, but with an eye to eliminating some cultures - the Papuans would be Atlantean soon enough!)

November 1722 and France was all but crushed - but it still had a depressingly large amount of warscore left to force up (I could barely take much of its in Nikandris, which had struggled). After Nikandris a big cash infusion (as they were getting tired of the war), we fought on...

On the 20th of January, 1723, using the concede option (since it would actually let me do it that way, but by province!) France was forced to concede Jaqo Sepri, the last couple of provinces in Yasina and 900 ducats. That left only their tiny (and overrun with rebels) little CN of French Tetaimeha, a little to the west of Yasina (that was so barren, they'd been left to have it. But hey, next time...!)

That just left Castile. Still at 100% war score, I just needed the diplomat to come home...!

On 17th of February, hot chocolate became a thing, increasing the price of cocoa by 40%. And the diplomat returned home.

Castile lost all its colonial possessions (this time, it was cheaper top take provinces than concede) and all but five mainland provinces (and some cash). It would likely colonise again, but that would mean NEXT - and final - war, we would mop up nicely.

Hmm. The only problem was now the Nikandris and Nikodemis now had very liberty desire (due to development). Not much I could do about that immediately, but it did sort of determine the importance of the next age power. Oh, wait, I could pay off their loans, that massively cropped the liberty desire, at least for the short-term.

I fabricated one claim on Castile and brought the spy home. With imperialism, it didn't matter quite so much anyway and dealing with my minions was more important at the moment. My plan was to take the next admin ideas... Maybe cancel weapon quality and enact the admin policy that dropped diplo-annexing by 20% (not running both just to keep the admin rolling in) and then at least try and annex Tunis but to be in position (in the next six years) to attack Bahamis and the Ottomans. But maybe it would be better to save Tunis to be given cores from the Ottomans? Nah, actually, I could probably do that with Morocco.

We also had eight colonies at once now. Ouch! Still, we were in the positives in cash flow and two or three were nearly done. Oh. Oh, no we weren't. Whelp, having taken out a loan to pay of Nikodemis' loan (I expected to pay it back with a few months, the saving were barely short) we have a buffer for a bit.

Reducing the overextension was the first priority though (though it was still only a mere 77%).

January 1724 and we got admin 26, diplomatic 26 and military 26. This gave us a new idea group (which would be humanism), the top-end frigates and transports, new infantry (reformed influence infantry) all at once. Delaying the admin especially meant we were not all that far off from the first idea.

Annoyingly, I found we'd lost a splendour goal, since apparently you only have it while you maintain 155% discipline. (Sadly, that meant that we had missed it since the discipline advisor died, not when I changed the policy.)

June, and we got the first idea +25% religious unity. That helped a lot (though it only gave me one more point of absolutism. Disappointing, I'd hoped for more...)

September finished the coring. I picked. once again a colonisation mission for global settler boost. Meanwhile, I was now ready to start diplo-annexing Tunis.

It looked like it would take a bare six months. Fine.

In October, politicians were complaining about the importation of hot chocolate. They were told to get knotted; as we know, we do not mess with chocolate, hot or otherwise...

Pfft! Tunis was integrated by January! The only downside was the nasty -3 diplomatic reputation, but there you go.

May 1726 and Paramount Priest Omnius became Midas touched, for more taxes...

Sadly, at this rate, it was going to be looooong before I was going to get to take the admin ideas.

However, thanks to a cash windfall, I had enough ducats now to do a dirty with the clergy estate - demanding 100 admin points, then making a donation so that the net result was only a loss of 5 loyalty.

I would have liked to use the bit that dropped your devotion slightly (so I could then strengthen the government), but I couldn't spare the admin... But maybe I should just do some autonomy lowering instead (as we could now get two whole points of absolutism...!) One drop in Toledo would do it...

December 1726 and we picked the next age power - anti-revolutionary zeal, which reduced the now-very-high liberty desire due to development of your subjects by -33%. That dropped even Nikodemis right back down to loyal again, with plenty to spare.

February brought the next idea, which brought -2 national unrest.

July 1727 and I upgraded the other half of the heavy ship fleet, now moved to the far east. Bahamis has been busy, recruiting more allies, including La Nam near China - so I wanted some heavies there (along with a transport) to keep the trade companies secure in that area.

I realised I could promote Castilian to an accepted culture (as they have 10% of the population demographic now... English is actually the most numerous at 16%, with the native Atlantean only 13%!)

January 1728 - little over a year to go before the claims ran out, so it was time to pull our diplomat back ready (the one in Morocco could wait a bit longer).

In May, good government policies brought a boost for Admin.

June and the Indonesian Trade Company wanted to lay a claim to one of the provinces in Ayutthaya. As those chaps were NOT now a tributary of Ming (and had only one small ally), they were something to consider a bit down the line.

The diplomat arrived back from Morocco in late September. Out of interest, I idly looked at annexing Morocco, but it would take eight years, and I think they contribute more troops without. (That -20% annex policy is actually going to bite me in the arse, since I can't cancel it until 1733 and for the paff that was Tunis, it wasn't worth it... And now I need to re-instate the weapons quality, as we are about to go to war. Dangit.)

Time to move. The claim ran out in February, so I wanted to be in position in plenty of time. So the fleet and the invasion army, scattered into six 24k groups across the islands of the Indian Ocean (simply for supply purposes), were to rendezvous with the main heavy ship fleet in Comorin Cape and make their landfall. Then. the heavy ship fleet would lead the transports off to the Med, where they would enable troops there to make a direct landing on Constantinople, rather than work their whole way around the Ottomans. (I was just planning to knock the Ottomans out pretty fast, if I could.)

Diplomat to Bahamis, for the siege-boost speed...

A 144 transports and thirty heavy ships sat off the coast of Bahamis. All was ready. I re-enabled weapon quality standards.

But the war will have to wait until tomorrow (since it is likely to be a long pull!) - and since I still can't DVD because Puppy, I shall instead Deponia.

And as if you haven't suffered enough today...

Spoiler
    Show

The torso twists, of course.

I'm especially pleased that it came out so well on the Rep 2 - I was expecting to have toShapeways it. But the half-hour or so I spent adding manual support for the legs was worth it, it's come out really rather well; I'm well-chuffed the skulls came out so clear. The hull is a front-and-back, so it was only a three-part print and as painless as you please, to my surprise. (The top turret is one I just pinched from the spares alrady done from the Reign of Anger and the Devil Storm.) Needs a little of the guff cleaning off before its painted, of course, but it ain't come out bad.

Storm Cleaver Assault Strider

The Storm Cleaver is a front line battle walker. In concert with the Gloombat Multirole Attack Craft, it was designed to replace the outdated Fleshburner main battle tank. It sports considerable agility and speed for a vehicle of its size. The arm-mounted weapon pods have had extensive reinforcement, allowing them to take non-typical stresses on the barrels and permitting the Storm Cleaver to use them as levers to assist it in difficult close terrain or if it becomes stuck.
    The Storm Cleaver’s weapon pods contain three weapons systems. Each pod contains a Class 14 Coldbeam to provide the main weapons, while an underslung missile pod provides some additional firepower. These are typically loaded with a pair of Skull warheads, though as typical for Aotrs warhead technology, other munitions are not unknown.

Above the Coldbeams is a pair of Frostbomb launchers, with each upper magazine containing twenty Frost Bomb cartridges. The Frostbomb system was newly developed for the Storm Cleaver, using technology derived from Coldbeam technology. A single Frostbomb cartridge creates an area of freezing, thick mist on impact. Aside from blocking non-sensor targeting locks, the mist freezes liquids and is harmful to most living creatures. In enough concentration, the mist will kill infantry and even vehicle crews with the sheer, unnatural cold. This is the first application of such an effect that does not require magical assistance. The Frostbombs freeze will freeze water sufficiently solidly that the Storm Cleaver can use them to make crossings of small bodies of water more expediently, instead of the more laborious method of sustained Coldbeam fire.
    Early versions of the Storm Cleaver mounted a single support Coldbeam in a top turret for point-defence and anti-infantry operations; more recent refits have seen this replaced with the more substantial twin Coldbeam turret used on both later versions of the Devil Storm and Reign of Anger.

As a combat walker, the Storm Cleaver requires only a single pilot, rather than a full tank crew. It was hoped that, as the Gloombat was in a similar position, that this would free up more vehicle crews for more vehicles, after retraining (something the Aotrs almost uniquely could afford to do).

In practise, while both the Gloombat and Storm Cleaver were powerful vehicles in their own rights, the Aotrs found that both vehicles were, ultimately, just too tall to fill the MBT role. While offensive and defensively in terms of weapons, agility, shields and armour, both vehicles were every bit the equal of any MBT, their taller shape was no substitute for the low profile of a more traditional main battle tank, requiring them to be exposed to more fire than necessary and making defensive deployment more difficult. Work began barely a few months after the Storm Cleaver was first fielded in combat operations and the result of that was eventually the Revenant Spear. Storm Cleavers are still a common site in the Aotrs ground forces, but now are more appropriately used in urban areas and dense terrain (where they and the Enragers make a deadly combination) or as supplementary support for the new MBTs.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-09-03 at 06:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

So let's watch that leaked episode then.

Spoiler: S7 E18
    Show
    S7 E18 Daring Don't, thoughts as I watch.
    • A. K. Yearling is retiring. Maybe ponies in general are just not as financially motivated as humans in our world, and A. K. Yearling doesn't want to write sequels for as long as she can get a big income for them. She already has like fifteen books or what. How many of those have been filmed yet by the way? Possibly none, the one film we know about was in the human world. (But of course, it's also possible that she isn't really retiring, she's just announced that for either marketing reasons or as a plot against some old foes like Doctor Caballeron who know her secret identity.)
    • Rainbow Dash is running. With only Pinkie. She's clearly panicked. If she really thought A. K. Yearling was in big trouble, she'd take more of her friends with her.
    • So Daring Do doesn't have superhero insurance? That could be a serious problem. Although it's not what we've seen in her adventures so far.
    • (Pinkie: “What happens? No way, don't tell me. I changed my mind, tell me!”) Huh what. Did Pinkie Pie not read that book yet? Or is that a not yet released book and Rainbow got a preview? Or does Pinkie already know but wants to hear it in Rainbow Dash's lively retelling?
    • (Hooded stallion: “Indeed. Daring Do is a menace who destroys everything she touches.”) That stallion in the hooded cloak and scarf with a beard looks just like Doctor Caballeron. Is it Caballeron, trying to spread a bad reputation of Daring Do to keep her away? Though on the other hand, Daring Do, who is supposedly a master of disguise, doesn't seem to recognize her. What's going on here?
    • Muffins!
    • (“After that, a band of ruffians showed up, and destroyed half the rooms searching for her.”) Was that Caballeron's henchmen?
    • (“Why that poor fellow had his glowpaz necklace stolen by Daring Do just yesterday.”) Ah yes, the same cloaked figure here too.
    • (Hooded stallion makes a speech to the townspony from a stage.) Just as I thought. I wonder if A. K. Yearling about this already, but is playing a game trying to trick the hooded stallion into thinking she's left. If she's really Caballeron, then the news that Yearling has retired as a writer has surely reached him. Remember Twilight from S4? “Look, there is more going on here than meets the eye. In every Daring Do book, there always is!”
    • (Rainbow: “All I have to do is go up there and explain to everypony how wrong they all are.”) That's a spectacularly bad plan, Rainbow.
    • (“Ahuizotl”) Oh no. It's an even worse plan than I thought. She's going to turn the townspeople even more against Daring Do now.
    • Wow. They have murals on pyramids that move! Is that like the paintings in Harry Potter?
    • (Doctor Caballeron unmasks himself to Rainbow Dash.) Ah yes. Now we might hear his side of the story.
    • (Caballeron boasting to Daring Do in the pyramid.) Nope. We won't hear his story.
    • (“There was a bridge in the story and there's no bridge here!”) I told you you'd need your friends. Applejack would be able to throw a lasso and then you could climb over that.
    • (Hopping on the mini-geysers.) Does that leap of faith into the green water remind you to Twilight's leap of faith in S1 E15?
    • (“You stole our glowpaz!”) Someone's going to get lynched.
    • (Doctor Caballeron escapes, screaming “You'll pay for this, Daring Do!”.) This is one of those lines that I couldn't understand without the transcript. Yes, I know many native speakers will probably understand it the first time.
    • Ok, so now what's the truth about the statue? Or leaving the inn without paying?
    • Ah, now she compensates the innkeeper. I don't understand why she didn't do it before, but ok.
    • A new large statue too? That was quick. How'd they do that?
    • This was a good episode. I still don't understand how Yearling didn't understand Caballeron before, but it doesn't matter much.

Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-09-04 at 01:44 AM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    So let's watch that leaked episode then.

Spoiler: S7 E18
    Show
    • Wow. They have murals on pyramids that move! Is that like the paintings in Harry Potter?

Spoiler: S7 Ep18
    Show
    The only thing I honestly paid attention too was the neat Egyptian ponies and especially that cute Sphinx. Like a giant adorable kitty cat. :D
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: S7 E17 To Change a Changeling
    Show
    This episode was a lot of fun. Trixie and Stalight go together so well. It's almost like they should just get a few episode spin off.

Pharynx worked well as a strong protector trying to protect the hive. I was disappointment when he changed since it was so much better having a distinct and cool looking changeling.

Baby changelings are adorable and scary just like regular kids.

Still the highlight of the episode were the Trixie and Starlight interactions.

Spoiler: S7E18 Daring Done?
    Show
    This one was okay. The episode that I watched had some audio problems which made it hard to understand everypony.

I wished that they explored the consequences of adventurer's actions more in this episode. D&D and other fantasy stories center on the heroes stopping the villain's evil plans but ignore the impact of the murder hobos on the people. In the end, Daring Do just pays everyone off.

Dr. Caballaron really, really needs to read the Evil Overlord handbook. Do not monologue. Do not monologue 30 ft. away from the hero especially. Do not use elaborate death traps.

I suppose that I just want a better villain.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Bleakplays Plays EUIV: Necrolantis Rises!

Spoiler: Necrolantis Arises! 29
    Show
    Right! WAR! (And, as I played about three hours longer than I probably should on Deponia Doomsday yesterday (fortunately Sun/Mon is my weekend), I suspect that might be about as far as we get today, we'll see...)

So.

February 1729 and Ming was no longer a valid rival. Huzzah!

Kilwa, as a great power, intervened in the war. "Crap," says I, seeing the notification and not having any troops in South Africa... But I read the box properly... And the buggers were intervening on OUR side! The Huzzahs have been doubled! They ain't best fond of the Ottomans, it seems! Well chaps, for that, you get yourselves an indefinite suspension from the target list!

We could afford the next idea, but I figured I should hold that for a while.

August, and the rolling advanced continued. In Bahamis, there were effectively three 48k stacks, but I'd left them split into six groups of 24; two pairs were attacking the forts, and the others mopping up. My other armies in North Africa were sweeping along the Ottoman coast.

The colonisation mission completed - the choice for a new mission weren't great, so I left them for the moment.

Apparently, Ming was "helping," since they were at war with the Ottomans, too. Well, so long as they were distracted, all the better!

June 1730, and 96k troops had made landfall into Constantinople. Bahamis' armies had been handily battered, and the country was falling steadily to the advance.

July, and the war-goal (the Bahamis capital) Bidar, had fallen.

On 25th August 1731, Garjat sued for peace. Necrolantis came back with a better offer - break their alliance with Bahamis, pay war reparations, cash on one of their (coastal) provinces. One foe down!

Around February 1733, Ming had won their bit of the war, leaving more of the Ottomans exposed. I was bloody-mindedly picking away at both them and Punjab - I could have peaced either out whenever I liked, but I was bloody-mindedly determined to drag the concessions I wanted out of them, and the war score wasn't quite there yet.

La Nan, meanwhile, had done absolutely nothing but sit there and no-had gotten to knobbling it yet. They would probably come out of this fine (but I bet their erstwhile allies wouldn't be chuffed). On the other hand, that said maybe my heavy ship fleet was keeping the out of it as planned, so...

One of the armies in Bahamis had gotten very badly battered (we'd had to put a lot of rebels down by this point), but reinforcing slowly.

Heh. April, and the province I swiped from Garjat had finished coring.

November, and I took the next admin idea (+3 tolerance of Heretics) get burn some admin, since I was about to reach the cap.

On the 13th December, Punjab finally acceded to the Necrolantic demands. I took all but one province from them - picking specifically and carefully all the ones in the trade company, paying some cash and breaking their alliance with Bahamis. One down! (Our people were calling for peace. They would have to wait for a bit!)

Oh. La Nan had apparently been eaten quite a lot by Ayutthaya during our war! Well. That would make it easier to deal with - if I needed to, though we were at 99% war score now anyway.

March 8th, 1734, and we finally wrung the concessions I wanted out of the Ottomans.

I took the entire region containing the Suez Canal, one more up in North Africa, and one province that was blocking my access to old Tunis - plus some cash for sheer mean-spirited measure! I didn't break their alliance with Bahamis, because I wanted the territory more!

This added just shy of 50% overextension - still nicely below!

I peaced out La Nan with just a slight amount of cash - all I could rig out of them with a land invasion, that I couldn't be arsed to do. (Had I though about it, maybe I could have sent my armies from the Malayan peninsula after them, but never mind now; they could be dealt with another time.

Now all that remained was mopping up Bahamis' rebels and waiting - at least for the diplomat and potentially for some over-extension to clear - we'd see.

Dang - missed a province - and of course I needed the ship to reach it... Well. I DID say I needed to wait...! (also, this is exactly why I wanted Dumat - to build the canal, which I was about half-way to affording).

A casual check showed that I was going to be restricted by over-extension, not war score (I could have gotten about 140% overextension!), so yes, definitely the waiting! (On the other hand, maybe this was a good excuse to buff Holland to make it worth annexing...?

Guh. All that, and my army tradition was STILL not quite 60% (the next threshold). So instead of building new generals to burn some military points, I used it on development - the next techs were still a little away!

Decreased the tariffs slightly on Nicodemis and Nikandris, as they were a bit close to 50%, and I wanted some leeway...

In January, I spend about 500 ducats on starting a new 48-ship transport fleet (since my six 24-ship fleets weren't really sufficient anymore).

Oh! Somebody beat my ships to it! I'm not actually sure who did it, but we are now at 100% war score. Time to see what I can swipe!

Bah. None of my vassals were within coring distance. So swiping just under 100% overextension is the best I can manage. It'll be October, then...

Oh. That's... Interesting. France is now a junior partner of the Commonwealth. That... Could be problematic down the line...

October, 1735. After some very careful fiddling, I managed to get 99.7% over-extension of Bahamis, plus some cash and war reparations.

Not bad, really, this war, having gotten a fair bit of land from four combatants! That no-coring range is bloody marvellous; I'd have never been able to get Punjab without it!

Next, another refractory period, firstly to get more admin ideas and to get enough cash to build the canal!

It was nice to see Ethiopia, Persia and Yeman all putting the boot in the Ottomans after I'd done with them. Paha!

I fabricated three more claims on Bahamis - might as well, the spy network was at 100. In fact, there was 25 left over, so I spent it on Corrupt Officials because I could, and then brought the diplomat home.

Because we had taken Sri Lanka, we now had the option of becoming buddist or looting the temples (for museums, you see) for a couple of thousand ducats. Can you guess which we did...?

Right, we'll call it there, because RPG session!

6. - Top - End - #546
    Dwarf in the Playground

After many moons, I have finally caught up with and seemingly passed pony thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler: Storm Cleaver Assault Strider
    Show

The Storm Cleaver is a front line battle walker. In concert with the Gloombat Multirole Attack Craft, it was designed to replace the outdated Fleshburner main battle tank. It sports considerable agility and speed for a vehicle of its size. The arm-mounted weapon pods have had extensive reinforcement, allowing them to take non-typical stresses on the barrels and permitting the Storm Cleaver to use them as levers to assist it in difficult close terrain or if it becomes stuck.
    The Storm Cleaver’s weapon pods contain three weapons systems. Each pod contains a Class 14 Coldbeam to provide the main weapons, while an underslung missile pod provides some additional firepower. These are typically loaded with a pair of Skull warheads, though as typical for Aotrs warhead technology, other munitions are not unknown.

Above the Coldbeams is a pair of Frostbomb launchers, with each upper magazine containing twenty Frost Bomb cartridges. The Frostbomb system was newly developed for the Storm Cleaver, using technology derived from Coldbeam technology. A single Frostbomb cartridge creates an area of freezing, thick mist on impact. Aside from blocking non-sensor targeting locks, the mist freezes liquids and is harmful to most living creatures. In enough concentration, the mist will kill infantry and even vehicle crews with the sheer, unnatural cold. This is the first application of such an effect that does not require magical assistance. The Frostbombs freeze will freeze water sufficiently solidly that the Storm Cleaver can use them to make crossings of small bodies of water more expediently, instead of the more laborious method of sustained Coldbeam fire.
    Early versions of the Storm Cleaver mounted a single support Coldbeam in a top turret for point-defence and anti-infantry operations; more recent refits have seen this replaced with the more substantial twin Coldbeam turret used on both later versions of the Devil Storm and Reign of Anger.

As a combat walker, the Storm Cleaver requires only a single pilot, rather than a full tank crew. It was hoped that, as the Gloombat was in a similar position, that this would free up more vehicle crews for more vehicles, after retraining (something the Aotrs almost uniquely could afford to do).

In practise, while both the Gloombat and Storm Cleaver were powerful vehicles in their own rights, the Aotrs found that both vehicles were, ultimately, just too tall to fill the MBT role. While offensive and defensively in terms of weapons, agility, shields and armour, both vehicles were every bit the equal of any MBT, their taller shape was no substitute for the low profile of a more traditional main battle tank, requiring them to be exposed to more fire than necessary and making defensive deployment more difficult. Work began barely a few months after the Storm Cleaver was first fielded in combat operations and the result of that was eventually the Revenant Spear. Storm Cleavers are still a common site in the Aotrs ground forces, but now are more appropriately used in urban areas and dense terrain (where they and the Enragers make a deadly combination) or as supplementary support for the new MBTs.
    Spoiler: Reaction to the Storm Cleaver Assault Strider
    Show

First, excellent job with the miniature. It looks very good. It might not have as much detail as some of the professional ones, but it is still very well designed. The fact that it rotates is also a huge plus.

When I hear "The arm-mounted weapon pods have had extensive reinforcement..." all that I can think about is some foolish pilot trying to use the unit for melee combat. I am sure that you weed out candidates that think that way, but there are always fools out there.

How are the Frostbombs supposed to work? To make the environment cold non-magically, you would need to absorb heat from the surroundings implying an endothermic reaction.

The easiest way would be a chemical reaction, but that tends to be heavy and doesn't absorb that much heat or work very quickly. Since most chemical reaction are rate dependent on temperature exponentially, that would limit the coldest temperature that you could reach.

Theoretically, you may be able to absorb heat from the environment and convert it into matter in a nuclear reaction. However if you have that capability, making a cold bomb seems like a waste.

7. - Top - End - #547

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    Spoiler: S7 E17 To Change a Changeling
    Show
    This episode was a lot of fun. Trixie and Stalight go together so well. It's almost like they should just get a few episode spin off.

Pharynx worked well as a strong protector trying to protect the hive. I was disappointment when he changed since it was so much better having a distinct and cool looking changeling.

Baby changelings are adorable and scary just like regular kids.

Still the highlight of the episode were the Trixie and Starlight interactions.
    Spoiler: E17 Changelings
    Show
    Pharynx gives artists of changeling OCs a bit of ammo to know that their alt-coloring are legit. Which is cool. I like that changelings come in other colors pre-great art shift.

Derpy mad.
    Spoiler: Triple Threat art
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: No comment
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Pixie in the Playground

As for brony music: I found a bunch that are pretty good. Dunno if you'll like them though.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Even though it's like... 5 weeks? Or so later, I can't stop going back and rewatching Perfect Pear. I just love everything about this episode, from the characters to the song to the story. #liek if u cri evry tim
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Reaction to the Storm Cleaver Assault Strider
    Show
    How are the Frostbombs supposed to work? To make the environment cold non-magically, you would need to absorb heat from the surroundings implying an endothermic reaction.

The easiest way would be a chemical reaction, but that tends to be heavy and doesn't absorb that much heat or work very quickly. Since most chemical reaction are rate dependent on temperature exponentially, that would limit the coldest temperature that you could reach.

Theoretically, you may be able to absorb heat from the environment and convert it into matter in a nuclear reaction. However if you have that capability, making a cold bomb seems like a waste.
    I KNEW it! I always thought the cold bomb in the twist ending of Jules Verne: Les Cinq Cents Millions de la Bégum was totally unrealistic. (The fact that doctor Octave dies from his own mad science inventions isn't unrealistic, but the particular way he dies is.) Aotrs Commander, you're probably the one who knows mad science the most here, any comment?

-----
    By the way, I just realized the MLP feature movie will probably be released in cinemas before anyone can see the season finale. (I'm likely still going to see the season finale first, because the season finale will probably be available for me on the internets on the very day it's released or leaked, whereas the feature movie won't be played in original sound in cinemas, I won't watch in dubbing, and I guess it will only be found on the internet a month or two later.)
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-09-05 at 08:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    [No comment]
    Seems legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Even though it's like... 5 weeks? Or so later, I can't stop going back and rewatching Perfect Pear. I just love everything about this episode, from the characters to the song to the story. #liek if u cri evry tim
    #Likes
    Spoiler
    Show

By the way, I just realized the MLP feature movie will probably be released in cinemas before anyone can see the season finale. (I'm likely still going to see the season finale first, because the season finale will probably be available for me on the internets on the very day it's released or leaked, whereas the feature movie won't be played in original sound in cinemas, I won't watch in dubbing, and I guess it will only be found on the internet a month or two later.)
    I have no idea if I'll see the movie in the theater. I'd like to, but lack of money and local brony friends to go with. I guess I could go alone, though there's just something wrong with seeing a movie about friendship by yourself.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

First, excellent job with the miniature. It looks very good. It might not have as much detail as some of the professional ones, but it is still very well designed.
    *deliberate cough*

'Scuse me a moment ponythread, I haz bin mildly impuned...!

While thank you for the compliment, my dear pony, professional pride obliges me to respond1. (As I am, in fact, an actual professional: this CAD modelling is literally my second day-job - first if you don't count being a Commadore in the Aotrs, since that doesn't pay money that I can spend on Earth...!)

(Also, since I paid £45 for the priviledge fo SmugMug, this is as much just a good excuse to (re-)load some photos and further stress-test it.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Aotrs vehicles (and starships) are often fairly clean lined, because a lot of the bits and pieces and "clutter" ("greebling" as 'tis collective know In The Business) you see on a lot of vehicles - Earth-modern or Aotrs-modern or otherwise -

Spoiler: Furious Burn, Delta supercriuser, BMPT, T-80BV, 2K22 Tunguska
    Show

- in Aotrs technology is frequently just covered over with tight-fit armour plating. (Tight-fit in the sense that you can't see the cracks at the sorts of scales in question.)

Contrast the above with the Spectral Glow2, Shadowfang, Keening Abyss, Fallen Soul, Gloombat, Distant Thunder and Scitalis.

Spoiler
    Show

It is, as they say, an intended design feature, not a lack of detail. It is not true of everything (the Revenant Spear deceptively looks more cluttered, but that is, honestly, a bit of posing on our part and most of that is even just additional armour plates).

Spoiler
    Show

(Oh, speaking of the Scitalis:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Scitalis is the most recent addition to the Aotrs arsenal. Developed under the working title of Serpentskull recon cycle, it replaces the Viperskull jetbike and the Bone Cracker and Bone Smasher Recon Cycles.

The increased use of Sentry Drone in front-line reconnaissance has not obviated the need for the deeper recon operations which have always required skilled troops. The various bikes and cycle over the years have fulfilled this role. But these vehicles have always had drawbacks. Firstly, they were never well-protected. Over time, the size of the vehicles also grew larger, to accommodate new technology. (Indeed, it has been a long-standing joke that the recon “bikes” have been for some time longer than a typical saloon gravcar.) Secondly, due to the differences in physical size of the armour, Power Troops required their own special vehicles, simply due to the problems of seating.

The Scitalis was developed to deal with both problems, and to combine the best elements of the three older cycles. For such an advanced vehicle, it is perhaps ironic that the most innovative feature is nothing to do with its combat or recon abilities, but due to something as mundane as the seating. The Scitalis’ seats are built entirely from a new-type of hard-code-locked nano-elements. The nano-elements have very few metallic components, being predominantly compressible polymers. With simple adjustments on a small control pad – which requires no external power and is about as analogue as such a device can be – the seating can be configured so it is suitable for either Power Troops or regular infantry. For a regular-sized passenger, the seat is a little higher and closer to the controls. This adjustment can be fine-tuned further to an individual’s settings and the distance of the control panel itself can be moved forward or backward, making for a very comfortable ride. At a squeeze, two normal-sized humanoids can fit on the seat, though regular infantry in full gear would be pressed to do so.

The Scitalis has continued the trend of larger size, being slightly larger and its three direct predecessors. But it combines the flight capability of the Viperskull, the sensors of the Bone Cracker and the offensive capabilities of the Bone Smasher, all in one package. Partly, this size is also necessitated by the addition of a bubble canopy. This was, in part, inspired by the Strayvian Dominion’s Seething Scoria Attack Skimmer. The other reason was the development of the new shield-grid coating in 2342. A sealed pilot compartment means that, for the first time, the Scitalis can be equipped with shields.

The Scitalis is capable of full orbital flight in addition to the nap-of-Earth grav operations. The Scitalis has both more modern and powerful engines than the older Viperskull, but the addition of the canopy further benefitted it in this regard, whereas the older jetbike has a limited service ceiling. It is, in essence, now more akin to an undersized one-lich fighter craft than a traditional “recon bike.”

The Scitalis is equipped with an up-to-date sensor package and ECM system. It is also much more heavily armed than the older bikes, containing essentially all their weapons. It carries a single spinal-mount Coldbeam cannon, slightly less more that the twin Coldbeams of the Viperskull. This is flanked by a pair of light Plasma-Pulse cannons (as the Bone Cracker did) for shorter range engagements and considerably more hitting power.

The Viperskull’s rarely used lower wing-scythes were almost dropped from consideration, but the veterans consulted felt that they were still a useful addition for some purposes – more for engineering tasks than actual combat. Rather than use physical blades, however, the Scitalis has two much shorter wing-stubs which serve as emitters for a scaled-up version of the Cold Blades used as infantry melee weapons. This grants much more effectiveness in usage, though the Scitalis’ power generator chugs a little when trying to run them simultaneously while flying with active shields and both energy weapons firing.

Finally, it carries a pair of SK series Snake Missile Launchers (like the Bone Smasher), which give it a limited, but not insignificant, anti-armour punch.

The Scitalis initially received an uncertain reception from the first units to whom it was assigned, but this first impression was solely based on the size and the addition of the canopy. Once the veterans had had a chance to out it through its paces, the reception has been unilaterally positive. The Scitalis is being deployed as fast as it can be produced, with the older Recon Cycles being regulated to the secondary Dark Elf Trooper forces or decommissioned altogether.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie
    When I hear "The arm-mounted weapon pods have had extensive reinforcement..." all that I can think about is some foolish pilot trying to use the unit for melee combat. I am sure that you weed out candidates that think that way, but there are always fools out there.
    Actually, in the Aotrs, there really isn't. As one of the basic reasons we are so successful is that - because we have people who have been doing the personnel evaluations for, often, centuries - they are REALLY GOOD at their jobs, not to mention the personel themselves often have similar levels of experience. Think of it on the basis that, if you have been in the SAS, that is the sort of place you START, having displayed enough competance to get recruited. (I, despite not being old, got where I am because I have an appropriate natural talent AND the right sort of personality AND the right criterion for this particular job for getting the fast track, which is much less common.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie

The same way Coldbeam work without magic - sufficently advancd technolgy. (And in this case, literally using the same base principles of sustaining a privative force in the material plane magic uses, just... not using magic to accomplish it.)

It is essentially, something to do with the rate of entropy change - which is why Coldbeams work in space; but I'm not 100% familiar with the technical details myself - I am an engineer-trainer Necromancer, not a full weapons-technology-specialist.)

(Much beyond that am we are into the "smile (metaphorically) politely" and "classified" territory, since even if I DID know, I'd hardly be giving out precise technical details (with numbers) on our weapons technology...)

I KNEW it! I always thought the cold bomb in the twist ending of Jules Verne: Les Cinq Cents Millions de la Bégum was totally unrealistic. (The fact that doctor Octave dies from his own mad science inventions isn't unrealistic, but the particular way he dies is.) Aotrs Commander, you're probably the one who knows mad science the most here, any comment?
    As I have not read the book in question, I have no idea.

1I not in fact deeply wounded, just mildy amused at Pi Pie's almost certainly unintended implication I am not, a professional. (Which is probably as well, since in the Aotrs, unprofessionalism is, like, THE biggest socialital taboo. You will literally get less judgement from performing sex acts with a chicken. A LICH performing sex acts with a chicken... Have a laugh, have a mess around a bit when it doesn't matter, sure; but as soon as stuff cracks off, you Be A Professional.)

2Long-term ponythreaders may rcall the Wraithfire, of OFC Shield fame, is the sector fleet's Spectral Glow.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-09-05 at 09:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    *deliberate cough*

'Scuse me a moment ponythread, I haz bin mildly impuned...!

While thank you for the compliment, my dear pony, professional pride obliges me to respond1. (As I am, in fact, an actual professional: this CAD modelling is literally my second day-job - first if you don't count being a Commadore in the Aotrs, since that doesn't pay money that I can spend on Earth...!)

(Also, since I paid £45 for the priviledge fo SmugMug, this is as much just a good excuse to (re-)load some photos and further stress-test it.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Aotrs vehicles (and starships) are often fairly clean lined, because a lot of the bits and pieces and "clutter" ("greebling" as 'tis collective know In The Business) you see on a lot of vehicles - Earth-modern or Aotrs-modern or otherwise -

Spoiler: Furious Burn, Delta supercriuser, BMPT, T-80BV, 2K22 Tunguska
    Show

- in Aotrs technology is frequently just covered over with tight-fit armour plating. (Tight-fit in the sense that you can't see the cracks at the sorts of scales in question.)

Contrast the above with the Spectral Glow2, Shadowfang, Keening Abyss, Fallen Soul, Gloombat, Distant Thunder and Scitalis.

Spoiler
    Show

It is, as they say, an intended design feature, not a lack of detail. It is not true of everything (the Revenant Spear deceptively looks more cluttered, but that is, honestly, a bit of posing on our part and most of that is even just additional armour plates).

Spoiler
    Show

(Oh, speaking of the Scitalis:

Spoiler
    Show
    The Scitalis is the most recent addition to the Aotrs arsenal. Developed under the working title of Serpentskull recon cycle, it replaces the Viperskull jetbike and the Bone Cracker and Bone Smasher Recon Cycles.

The increased use of Sentry Drone in front-line reconnaissance has not obviated the need for the deeper recon operations which have always required skilled troops. The various bikes and cycle over the years have fulfilled this role. But these vehicles have always had drawbacks. Firstly, they were never well-protected. Over time, the size of the vehicles also grew larger, to accommodate new technology. (Indeed, it has been a long-standing joke that the recon “bikes” have been for some time longer than a typical saloon gravcar.) Secondly, due to the differences in physical size of the armour, Power Troops required their own special vehicles, simply due to the problems of seating.

The Scitalis was developed to deal with both problems, and to combine the best elements of the three older cycles. For such an advanced vehicle, it is perhaps ironic that the most innovative feature is nothing to do with its combat or recon abilities, but due to something as mundane as the seating. The Scitalis’ seats are built entirely from a new-type of hard-code-locked nano-elements. The nano-elements have very few metallic components, being predominantly compressible polymers. With simple adjustments on a small control pad – which requires no external power and is about as analogue as such a device can be – the seating can be configured so it is suitable for either Power Troops or regular infantry. For a regular-sized passenger, the seat is a little higher and closer to the controls. This adjustment can be fine-tuned further to an individual’s settings and the distance of the control panel itself can be moved forward or backward, making for a very comfortable ride. At a squeeze, two normal-sized humanoids can fit on the seat, though regular infantry in full gear would be pressed to do so.

The Scitalis has continued the trend of larger size, being slightly larger and its three direct predecessors. But it combines the flight capability of the Viperskull, the sensors of the Bone Cracker and the offensive capabilities of the Bone Smasher, all in one package. Partly, this size is also necessitated by the addition of a bubble canopy. This was, in part, inspired by the Strayvian Dominion’s Seething Scoria Attack Skimmer. The other reason was the development of the new shield-grid coating in 2342. A sealed pilot compartment means that, for the first time, the Scitalis can be equipped with shields.

The Scitalis is capable of full orbital flight in addition to the nap-of-Earth grav operations. The Scitalis has both more modern and powerful engines than the older Viperskull, but the addition of the canopy further benefitted it in this regard, whereas the older jetbike has a limited service ceiling. It is, in essence, now more akin to an undersized one-lich fighter craft than a traditional “recon bike.”

The Scitalis is equipped with an up-to-date sensor package and ECM system. It is also much more heavily armed than the older bikes, containing essentially all their weapons. It carries a single spinal-mount Coldbeam cannon, slightly less more that the twin Coldbeams of the Viperskull. This is flanked by a pair of light Plasma-Pulse cannons (as the Bone Cracker did) for shorter range engagements and considerably more hitting power.

The Viperskull’s rarely used lower wing-scythes were almost dropped from consideration, but the veterans consulted felt that they were still a useful addition for some purposes – more for engineering tasks than actual combat. Rather than use physical blades, however, the Scitalis has two much shorter wing-stubs which serve as emitters for a scaled-up version of the Cold Blades used as infantry melee weapons. This grants much more effectiveness in usage, though the Scitalis’ power generator chugs a little when trying to run them simultaneously while flying with active shields and both energy weapons firing.

Finally, it carries a pair of SK series Snake Missile Launchers (like the Bone Smasher), which give it a limited, but not insignificant, anti-armour punch.

The Scitalis initially received an uncertain reception from the first units to whom it was assigned, but this first impression was solely based on the size and the addition of the canopy. Once the veterans had had a chance to out it through its paces, the reception has been unilaterally positive. The Scitalis is being deployed as fast as it can be produced, with the older Recon Cycles being regulated to the secondary Dark Elf Trooper forces or decommissioned altogether.
    )

Actually, in the Aotrs, there really isn't. As one of the basic reasons we are so successful is that - because we have people who have been doing the personnel evaluations for, often, centuries - they are REALLY GOOD at their jobs, not to mention the personel themselves often have similar levels of experience. Think of it on the basis that, if you have been in the SAS, that is the sort of place you START, having displayed enough competance to get recruited. (I, despite not being old, got where I am because I have an appropriate natural talent AND the right sort of personality AND the right criterion for this particular job for getting the fast track, which is much less common.)

The same way Coldbeam work without magic - sufficently advancd technolgy. (And in this case, literally using the same base principles of sustaining a privative force in the material plane magic uses, just... not using magic to accomplish it.)

It is essentially, something to do with the rate of entropy change - which is why Coldbeams work in space; but I'm not 100% familiar with the technical details myself - I am an engineer-trainer Necromancer, not a full weapons-technology-specialist.)

(Much beyond that am we are into the "smile (metaphorically) politely" and "classified" territory, since even if I DID know, I'd hardly be giving out precise technical details (with numbers) on our weapons technology...)

As I have not read the book in question, I have no idea.

1I not in fact deeply wounded, just mildy amused at Pi Pie's almost certainly unintended implication I am not, a professional. (Which is probably as well, since in the Aotrs, unprofessionalism is, like, THE biggest socialital taboo. You will literally get less judgement from performing sex acts with a chicken. A LICH performing sex acts with a chicken... Have a laugh, have a mess around a bit when it doesn't matter, sure; but as soon as stuff cracks off, you Be A Professional.)

2Long-term ponythreaders may rcall the Wraithfire, of OFC Shield fame, is the sector fleet's Spectral Glow.
    Have I told you that I love it when you share these details?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I have no idea if I'll see the movie in the theater. I'd like to, but lack of money and local brony friends to go with. I guess I could go alone, though there's just something wrong with seeing a movie about friendship by yourself.
    I don't think that's wrong in this case. I mean, you watch the movie, and other people in this ponythread also watch the movie, and then we discuss the movie in the thread. That basically means we've watched the movie together, even if we didn't eat the same bag of popcorn. But of course I can understand if you want to wait for a home release instead of watching in a cinema. Maybe many people in the thread will wait for a home release, in which case it might be better to watch it together when that gets available.

(I have tried to look up the cinema part by the way, but found nothing too surprising. The US premiere is likely 2017-10-05 or 2017-10-06, and the premiere in cinemas in Hungary is likely 2017-10-12. There is a Hungarian dubbing. Since cinema schedule is not yet available, I can't yet tell if they'll show it in original voice. My guess is that they won't, or they will only do so at very inconvenient times like workdays at 12:30 when I won't watch, but I don't go to cinemas enough to be sure in this prediction.)

16. - Top - End - #556

Quote Originally Posted by acheter View Post
    As for brony music: I found a bunch that are pretty good. Dunno if you'll like them though.
    Post 'em and let's see.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dwarf in the Playground

For any Xcom fans, I can recommend the War of the Chosen expansion. It does not radically alter the game, but it does add some fun elements. If you enjoyed Xcom 1 or 2, you will enjoy the expansion.

The main highlights are the 3 new factions and the corresponding Chosen. The 3 factions each give a special unit. This makes missions with those special units more risky since if you lose them, they are gone for good. The Chosen make the story more personal and help to expand the lore even if they are not a great threat.

There are also a few changes which help with the game. Now, you can hold alt when highlighting a square to know which enemies will be in range (this might have been a mod before). Shotguns have also been strongly improved decreasing the range penalty and making them much more useful.

I have been playing a normal difficulty ironman game. I first lost Spitfire after a Mec launched some rockets destroying cover and a turret finished her off.

Later, I lost Applejack and Pinkie Pie when I landed on the wrong square and spawned 2 pods. Then reinforcements came in. I tried to run away but failed to save those two.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

For any Xcom fans, I can recommend the War of the Chosen expansion. It does not radically alter the game, but it does add some fun elements. If you enjoyed Xcom 1 or 2, you will enjoy the expansion.

The main highlights are the 3 new factions and the corresponding Chosen. The 3 factions each give a special unit. This makes missions with those special units more risky since if you lose them, they are gone for good. The Chosen make the story more personal and help to expand the lore even if they are not a great threat.

There are also a few changes which help with the game. Now, you can hold alt when highlighting a square to know which enemies will be in range (this might have been a mod before). Shotguns have also been strongly improved decreasing the range penalty and making them much more useful.

I have been playing a normal difficulty ironman game. I first lost Spitfire after a Mec launched some rockets destroying cover and a turret finished her off.

Later, I lost Applejack and Pinkie Pie when I landed on the wrong square and spawned 2 pods. Then reinforcements came in. I tried to run away but failed to save those two.
    I was/am sort of trying to get Necrolantis rises done so I can then do a sequel to Aotrs-Com (what was the story of my first (and only) play through X-Com 1 last time on ponythread) while I am Taking A Holiday next week (since they - includng the dogs - are off on holiday, so dammit, I'm havin' one too). And, as you know I'm far too bloody-minded not to finish a thing I start (even if no-one is reading it, as has happened on occasion...), so I don't want to have more than one running at once. (Technically, I already have two, because I starting doing a sort of Bleakbane Watches XY on Pokemopolis, so that will be finished, even if I'm probably shouting into the winf at this point...)

(Yes, ponythread, Bleakbane also remembers he never finished his Bleakbane Watches of Skeleton Warriors, nor his Bleakbane Plays of the original old X-Com Enemy Unknown, even if you don't and it bugs him if he thinks about it.)

But the last couple of evenings instead, because of the new game and Doing the Storm Cleavers, I ended up dusting off my BattleTech stuff on the auspices of it being a game I could knok-together more easily than MG or AccAtt (as my mate is a bit variable at the minute)... And the fact it has taken two eveings (and some of the morning), should tell you that the usual "Bleakbane obsessively has to Do Stuff To Standard" has been in play...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-09-06 at 06:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Glad to see I'm not the only one who named my Xcom squad after ponies!

My first play through a couple months back Applejack had to sacrifice herself on the Chrysalid hive mission so that Fluttershy and Rainbow could escape (which they just barely did on the last turn with a Chrysalid right behind them...). Since I literally just named Applejack the mission before I made another...who wound up being the volunteer...that name seems cursed...

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

This makes missions with those special units more risky since if you lose them, they are gone for good.
    Huh what? I don't play Xcom, but from what other people said about it in the internet, I thought permadeath of characters and no savescumming were one of the defining aspects of the whole Xcom game. But in that case, how do those special units you mention differ from other units? Am I just confusing this with some other popular turn-based strategy game?

21. - Top - End - #561

Florida be like...
    Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, Deeg be like...
    Spoiler
    Show

Out of curiosity I went to the local grocery store. Obviously they were all out of bread and water, EXCEPT for the Fiji brand water. Not one bottle was touched of that stuff, LOL! I went over to the snack and juice aisle, and loaded up on apple sauce, canned soup, and apple juice. I know what's up when preparing for disaster.

Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #562

Florida be like...
    Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, Deeg be like...
    Spoiler
    Show

Out of curiosity I went to the local grocery store. Obviously they were all out of bread and water, EXCEPT for the Fiji brand water. Not one bottle was touched of that stuff, LOL! I went over to the snack and juice aisle, and loaded up on apple sauce, canned soup, and apple juice. I know what's up when preparing for disaster.

Spoiler
    Show
    That Fiji stuff is toxic and everyone knows it.

...stay safe.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    That Fiji stuff is toxic and everyone knows it.
    Apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...stay safe.
    I like how this comes with am ellipsis, like an after thought.

Nah it's cool. I've been through 8-9 hurricanes, so at this point the fear is completely gone. I got my supplies and charged batteries, so I'm just waiting it out. It's fairly boring. Really, the hard part for me is just cleaning up after; getting stuff fixed, waiting on power to be restored, figure out when schools and my workplace reopens. That sort of stuff.

So it's kind of weird that you'd have a place such as Equestria where ponies can control the weather, and yet you still screw up the schedules and have to unleash really bad thunderstorms to make up for it. Pegasi are slackers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

So it's kind of weird that you'd have a place such as Equestria where ponies can control the weather, and yet you still screw up the schedules and have to unleash really bad thunderstorms to make up for it. Pegasi are slackers.
    I'm more inclined to think that while they can control the weather, there are limits to that control. They do sometimes have to cause bad weather like thunderstorms or tornados occasionally, or else eventually Bad Things will happen. Ponies can still deal with that bad weather because at least they have more accurate predictions on when they'll happen. An example could be dust and smog collecting in big cities that can only be cleared out by an occasional very strong wind, or severe forest fires if they don't start smaller forest fires by thunder strikes.

In terms of weather control, I think I've already mentioned the sci-fi novel Fehér Klára: A földrengések szigete. This one depict a utopia society in the future. Humanity now controls the weather on Earth, in fact with engines pushing clouds, which is a quite similar depiction to what the pegasuses do. But there is a price, and unlike what I said above, it's not extreme bad weather some of the time, but extreme weather most of the time on half of the area of Earth, which is now a practically unpopulated area. This might be a price in Equestria too, the Everfree Forest must have some good reason to remain uncontrolled even if it's so close to where ponies live and actually contains the royal sisters' old castle.

You are right of course that some pegasuses are also slacking or reckless with weather control. Applejack explicitly says this in S1 E8, Lightning Dust starts a tornado in S3 E7, Rainbow Dash wants to sabotage the weather factory and stop winter in S5 E5 which is obviously a really bad idea even in universe, and I also blame the factory for being very unsafe in that episode.

Update: random MLP question. What happened to Applejack's lasso? It used to be a regular feature in earlier seasons, but it seems as if it disappeared, and she doesn't use it even when it would help. Is this just me forgetting details of the show, or is it true?
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-09-07 at 04:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565

I'm more inclined to think that while they can control the weather, there are limits to that control. They do sometimes have to cause bad weather like thunderstorms or tornados occasionally, or else eventually Bad Things will happen. Ponies can still deal with that bad weather because at least they have more accurate predictions on when they'll happen. An example could be dust and smog collecting in big cities that can only be cleared out by an occasional very strong wind, or severe forest fires if they don't start smaller forest fires by thunder strikes.
    Remember that Ponyville never successfully wrapped up Winter on time until Twilight arrived. The Ponyville weather team is not at all organized on their own.

Update: random MLP question. What happened to Applejack's lasso? It used to be a regular feature in earlier seasons, but it seems as if it disappeared, and she doesn't use it even when it would help. Is this just me forgetting details of the show, or is it true?
    I think the rope only came out when it served a plot purpose and in recent seasons AJ doesn't serve much purpose so... :/
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #566
    Banned

Remember that Ponyville never successfully wrapped up Winter on time until Twilight arrived. The Ponyville weather team is not at all organized on their own.
    Pretty sure that was something the Mayor made up on the spot to spare Twilight's feelings. There's no way it's actually true, given that Amythest was around before Twilight and that Twilight isn't actually that good.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I got there in a later paragraph of my post.

But don't forget that the Ponyville Winter Wrap Up is not done by just the professional weather pegasuses. Almost all the village population participates in it, you can't expect each of them to be trained professionals. Mayor Mare would be easy to blame, but I'm not sure just how much he could do, and even if the wrap up has problems, he does seem a somewhat good mayor in other episodes, and I expect even that in previous years she could eventually push the ponies to avoid most of the big trouble and fix all the bigger problems, even if there were delays. Fluttershy knows a lot about the animals, but she would be bad as a leader for ponies, at least would have been back then before her character development. The only way Fluttershy could manage the animal part of the winter wrap up was if she and the animal friends did all the work (S5 E21), but excluding the ponies would go against the Ponyville traditions. Fluttershy treats all her clients as special individuals and won't produce any one product in big numbers (S5 E14), and is a perfectionist, she won't stop until she creates only the finest bird nests for the birds (although S3 E2 has a counterexample where she makes a hat that isn't perfect and hands it to a customer without suffering a breakdown), which is a nice talent but is mostly useless for a big fast event like the Winter Wrap Up, and I'm not even sure whether she understands what animals really need (in S4 E23 she clearly didn't, but the circumstances there make it questionable if this would apply any other time; and her relationship with Opal is a bit unclear to me). So there's a pretty good reason why the animal team leader is some random purple mare we don't know anything about, since there's few established characters even now that could do that job. Applejack might have a lot of traditional knowledge about farm, but even elsewhere we've seen she has a bit of a blind spot when trying to coordinate an unusual big event (S3 E8), she can work much easier on the farm where the helpers are other Apples with much of the same farming knowledge as he has (S2 E15). I won't try to find excluses for Rainbow Dash here, he was at that time spectacularly unsuitable as the leader of the Ponyville weather team, at the Winter Wrap Up and at other times too. She did become much better in later seasons, even if she still has a lot of faults. I'm not sure why she's the leader in first place.

Update:
    You cannot train your normal operatives in the same abilities.
    Ah, this is the key! I assumed for some reason that the units in the original game are sort of unique too, in the sense that they have a unique individual name and back story and gameplay characteristics defined by the game itself, not by you, and you can't have more than one copy of the same character, even if you have choices to evolve the unique characters in different ways, and to choose a team of just some of the many available characters.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-09-07 at 06:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who named my Xcom squad after ponies!

My first play through a couple months back Applejack had to sacrifice herself on the Chrysalid hive mission so that Fluttershy and Rainbow could escape (which they just barely did on the last turn with a Chrysalid right behind them...). Since I literally just named Applejack the mission before I made another...who wound up being the volunteer...that name seems cursed...
    I am using one of the My Little Pony character pools. This way my Xcom operatives resemble the characters. This is similar to Equestria Girls where you can recognize the characters although they do not look that toony. It also makes it hurt a lot more when you lose them.

Huh what? I don't play Xcom, but from what other people said about it in the internet, I thought permadeath of characters and no savescumming were one of the defining aspects of the whole Xcom game. But in that case, how do those special units you mention differ from other units? Am I just confusing this with some other popular turn-based strategy game?
    In the War of the Chosen expansion, there are 3 resistance factions in addition to your own. The Templars are psyonic operatives and give a unit that is good at close in melee and gains psychic charges with every kill. The Skirmishers are Advent breakaways and give a unit that is highly mobile and can fire multiple moderate strength shots. The Reapers are anti-advent humans and give a unit that is excellent at scouting and staying hidden.

Each of the special units are unique. You cannot train your normal operatives in the same abilities.

Digo, be safe. Is this your first time riding out a hurricane in your new house? I wish you luck.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

Huh what? I don't play Xcom, but from what other people said about it in the internet, I thought permadeath of characters and no savescumming were one of the defining aspects of the whole Xcom game.
    No, not really; maybe considered so by some people, but its not a mechanical consideration. (Unless you particualrly want to play that way.) I certainly had no problems with reloading if something went awry.

30. - Top - End - #570

Pretty sure that was something the Mayor made up on the spot to spare Twilight's feelings. There's no way it's actually true, given that Amythest was around before Twilight and that Twilight isn't actually that good.
    The event was just falling apart and getting mixed up all over the place. I don't think it was made up. I think Ponyville is just that silly of a place.

Digo, be safe. Is this your first time riding out a hurricane in your new house? I wish you luck.
    First time in this new house yeah. and thanks.
    Digo Dragon - Artist