New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Was any one else confused in the conversation with Jojo? I couldn't follow a lot of the beginning of it.
    I was completely lost. The update was definitely hurting for want of a Jojo-to-English translator.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I was able to read it, Maybe I'm just unusually fluent in Carny-lingo.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Was any one else confused in the conversation with Jojo? I couldn't follow a lot of the beginning of it.
    If I understand correctly, Jojo was panic-ly telling himself not to panic (and draw attention to himself) over Thinkagram-ing with Charlie.

Because while talking to outcast sides is allowed, the Arkentools being declared OP means accepting a call from the Arkendish is also prohibited. And there were Lookamancers there who already suspected Charlie killed the Lookamancers (and Thinkamancers and Foolamancers) at the Great Temple earlier.

So Jojo was intentionally trying to do the opposite of drawing attention to himself.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    If I understand correctly, Jojo was panic-ly telling himself not to panic (and draw attention to himself) over Thinkagram-ing with Charlie.

Because while talking to outcast sides is allowed, the Arkentools being declared OP means accepting a call from the Arkendish is also prohibited. And there were Lookamancers there who already suspected Charlie killed the Lookamancers (and Thinkamancers and Foolamancers) at the Great Temple earlier.

So Jojo was intentionally trying to do the opposite of drawing attention to himself.
    So a case of pictures would have helped a lot, or better explaining the scene. Okay. Thanks for that.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

So a case of pictures would have helped a lot, or better explaining the scene.
    Or maybe just a little less character flavor coating the text. "And they had the right idea betting on Cheese Station Charlie as the perp" would've read easier than parsing a statement about ducats and a second use of "C" in the same introductory paragraph.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post

Agreeing on interpretation.
    I also thought this was a really cool Carny power. It reminded me of an SMBC strip (or I think it was SMBC) where a social scientist tells a physicist that an invisibility field is easy, then holds up a sign saying "Homeless. Need money." Also kinda reminded me of an old World of Darkness Mage reference to Nephandi casting a 'do not notice me' spell by screaming obscenities such that people's minds fail to comprehend the horror. (Not to equate the two in any way.)

7. - Top - End - #427
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    (or I think it was SMBC)
    yes it was.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I also thought this was a really cool Carny power. It reminded me of an SMBC strip (or I think it was SMBC) where a social scientist tells a physicist that an invisibility field is easy, then holds up a sign saying "Homeless. Need money."
    I was thinking of Freefall's "Want more e-mail? Sign up here for SPAM!" sign, myself.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking of Freefall's "Want more e-mail? Sign up here for SPAM!" sign, myself.
    Yes me to. I did think it was a pretty cool trick.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Yes me to. I did think it was a pretty cool trick.
    Which is part of the reason that Freefall is one of the best written webcomics around.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: New Update
    Show
    Portal Pillar confirmed. Didn't mind this update, but I still feel like we have on the brink of all the crescendo for a long time. Maybe all the ducks are in place NOW?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Which is part of the reason that Freefall is one of the best written webcomics around.
    Well true.. it does have a lot of interesting insights like that. And i dont recall seing anyone use that bit about "Want more Spam? sight up here" before i saw it on Freefall.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Portal Pillar confirmed. Didn't mind this update, but I still feel like we have on the brink of all the crescendo for a long time. Maybe all the ducks are in place NOW?
    Spoiler: Yes
    Show
    I felt, this way a year or so ago...

14. - Top - End - #434
    Spamalot in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler: Update
    Show
    Egads I hope so. There's enough filler to open up a peanut packaging plant.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

So.. Charlie seems to miss a lot of references from our world, but does understand words like Kill. Have it been suggested yet that this could be from him him just being really, really old?
    Like.. the Wizard of Oz is from 1900, so with a delay from getting it written and published then he is likely from 1840 or something. Have this been suggested yet to explain why things like "whats the magic word" confuse him?

16. - Top - End - #436
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    So.. Charlie seems to miss a lot of references from our world, but does understand words like Kill. Have it been suggested yet that this could be from him him just being really, really old?
    Like.. the Wizard of Oz is from 1900, so with a delay from getting it written and published then he is likely from 1840 or something. Have this been suggested yet to explain why things like "whats the magic word" confuse him?
    I'm fairly certain that Charlie is a native Erfite. His understanding of words like "kill" is because he interacted with Dorothy Gale when he was overlord of El Efbaum. Dorothy was the last target of the "summon perfect warlord" spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm fairly certain that Charlie is a native Erfite. His understanding of words like "kill" is because he interacted with Dorothy Gale when he was overlord of El Efbaum. Dorothy was the last target of the "summon perfect warlord" spell.
    It would take more than Judy. He knows about way too many things, like guns and circuitry. It could be an effect of the Arkendish, but there's also the fact that he's capable of swearing. Erfworlders get headaches when they even hear swear words.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

Charlie is a Carniemancer. He leads a side, and produced an heir, Olive Branch. His Signamancy is very Erfish. He knows his side's Shmuckers balance. Known Stupidworlders have not been casters, nor side leaders. They have gaps in the knowledge their side's leaders intuitively possess.

The above facts argue fairly strongly for Arkendish channels being the source of Charlie's special knowledge.

19. - Top - End - #439

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    His Signamancy is very Erfish.
    So was Judy Gale's, a confirmed alien. Plus, the Wizard of Oz originated from a non-fairy world.

Known Stupidworlders have not been casters
    We know from the Carnymancy/Weirdomancy scroll that it's possible, whether or not it happens naturally. Plus, the Wizard of Oz started out as a humbug wizard before becoming a real one.

nor side leaders.
    Judy Gale was a side leader.

They have gaps in the knowledge their side's leaders intuitively possess.
    That's true for Parson. Learning that was apparently hard won intelligence for Charlie, it might not have been true for Judy.

The above facts argue fairly strongly for Arkendish channels being the source of Charlie's special knowledge.
    It's still weird Charlie can use the F-word.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    The word that is often termed "the F-bomb"?

I'm pretty sure that Charlie knows so much about stupidworld because of the Arkendish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

21. - Top - End - #441

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    The word that is often termed "the F-bomb"?

I'm pretty sure that Charlie knows so much about stupidworld because of the Arkendish.
    Caesar and Wanda now know swear words via Parson, and they flinch every time Parson uses them. Charlie used them on his own. So if he is a native Erfworlder, it begs the question of what kind of television shows he's been watching via ArkenTV to get used to it.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Charlie is a Carniemancer. He leads a side, and produced an heir, Olive Branch. His Signamancy is very Erfish. He knows his side's Shmuckers balance. Known Stupidworlders have not been casters, nor side leaders. They have gaps in the knowledge their side's leaders intuitively possess.

Do we know if he knows his side's treasury without using the Arkendish to retrieve the info?
    The only time I recall him seeing the count was when he retrieved it via Arkendish, not an intuitive knowledge. This does NOT definitely rule out him having it as a ruler-sense, since he later comments that he is not use to using his ruler-senses of his units since he so regularly relies on the Arkendish... but it could be evidence that he lacks that natural power warlords, casters, and rulers have.

EDIT: Parson comments that, as he got more active, he got more in-shape. I forget where, but I think it's a comment about going up and down the stairs, or just he's a tad less flabby as his time in Erfworld passes. This COULD be naturally getting more fit from being more active, but it could be Signmantic changes.
    Basically, I mean to point that it's possible, over time, for Earth-ers to get signamancy similar to Erfworlders. Perhaps Charlie over time started to look like a cross of a bloated Charles Xavier and Charlie Brown, if he started out otherwise from earth.

(I think we don't have enough intel to know Charlie's origins that evidence is purposefully pointing both directions, but I find the speculation fun.)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-12-15 at 05:13 PM.

23. - Top - End - #443

RedWizardGuy

The latest.

I hope it doesn't cut away again. One way or another, I expect this to be biggest moment in the current book.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Banned

The latest.

I hope it doesn't cut away again. One way or another, I expect this to be biggest moment in the current book.
    But...don't you want to know what Ansom is doing right now?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Spot the Jack
    Show
    Whatever Jack's doing there, we've just had it repeated that a doombat's hearing is much better than its sight. As long as Jack is silently waiting, it's likely Charlie doesn't even know he's there.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What does Shirley mean with "as if it is hers"? In Erfworld that doesn't really make sense since only rulers can order a capital city to produce a heir/child. Or is there a trick Turnamancers can do?
    Baby making in general seems to be a big topic in the last 2 books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

27. - Top - End - #447
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What does Shirley mean with "as if it is hers"? In Erfworld that doesn't really make sense since only rulers can order a capital city to produce a heir/child. Or is there a trick Turnamancers can do?
    Baby making in general seems to be a big topic in the last 2 books.
    Heirs seem to pop with characteristics of the ruler and whoever they are sleeping with at the time. Like Vinnie's kid with Jillian.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Heirs seem to pop with characteristics of the ruler and whoever they are sleeping with at the time. Like Vinnie's kid with Jillian.
    Does it get multiple characteristics if the ruler sleeps around?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    Does it get multiple characteristics if the ruler sleeps around?
    Maybe? Certainly something for Parson to test if he ever forms a side.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Spamalot in the Playground

"Free"?

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Makes sense then why Vanna is invested and asking Caesar if he's stepping down once the heir pops.

I wonder if Jack has seen through Roger's ruse on the bracer?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races