New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay... I am currently confused as to what just happened.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently Don's deal with Charley included the payment of 19 million shmuckers for sending Parson back with the scroll. The deal was with TV, not Don so it remained in force after Don't death. Vanna's loyalty to Ceasar is so low that she can ignore his order and decide that fulfilling the deal with Charley is better for her new side. Ceasar punched her in the face. The creepy Dollamancer watches this (see the shadowy figures above him in the last panel) and doesn't like it.
    Last edited by Welf; 2018-01-03 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

With Parson gone, mixed with the apparent heir of TV coming in, we could call the next thread - Heir today, Gone tomorrow.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Why doesn't he disband her? No matter how powerful her turnamancy is it is useless to Cesar if she openly betrays him.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-01-03 at 03:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Why doesn't he disband her? No matter how powerful her turnamancy is it is useless to Cesar if she openly betrays him.
    He may not actually have that power - I'm uncertain if Caesar has the full powers of the side's leader right now, or if the title of 'Regent' has some ramifications beyond just agreeing to step down in favor of the heir when/if that unit finishes popping. I'm sure he's considering it, tho, as Vanna is at best only nominally a TV unit currently. Caesar is probably just weighing whether it would be best to disband her completely (if within his power to do so) or croak her normally with the chance that she could be decrypted later as a more controllable resource.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    He may not actually have that power - I'm uncertain if Caesar has the full powers of the side's leader right now, or if the title of 'Regent' has some ramifications beyond just agreeing to step down in favor of the heir when/if that unit finishes popping. I'm sure he's considering it, tho, as Vanna is at best only nominally a TV unit currently. Caesar is probably just weighing whether it would be best to disband her completely (if within his power to do so) or croak her normally with the chance that she could be decrypted later as a more controllable resource.
    Alternatively, Caesar may not want to find out the hard way if Don secured the contract with a penalty should Vanna not survive. Or he may want to interrogate her first. Or maybe he just hasn't gotten to it yet.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #516
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently Don's deal with Charley included the payment of 19 million shmuckers for sending Parson back with the scroll. The deal was with TV, not Don so it remained in force after Don't death. Vanna's loyalty to Ceasar is so low that she can ignore his order and decide that fulfilling the deal with Charley is better for her new side. Ceasar punched her in the face. The creepy Dollamancer watches this (see the shadowy figures above him in the last panel) and doesn't like it.

Spoiler: Aw yeah semantics
    Show
    Not that it matters too much, but I'm pretty sure Ceasar is in the act of choking her. Additionally I appreciate the set of emotions gone through by Jack and Maggie in the background of the first few panels.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    If he did that, Wanda wouldn't be able to decrypt her later.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Alternatively, Caesar may not want to find out the hard way if Don secured the contract with a penalty should Vanna not survive. Or he may want to interrogate her first. Or maybe he just hasn't gotten to it yet.
    Alternatively alternatively, the last time we saw a ruler trying to disband a caster it just bounced off. And Don himself was croaked by a caster before he could complete a disbandment. Just saying it's faster and more efficient to take out the traitor with your own hands than risking using the clunky disbandment special.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2018-01-03 at 07:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Great. See you next year, when Parson returns from exile.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Banned

I'm pretty sure the spell didn't work as intended. There are several hints indicating it didn't go off as planned. The spell was interrupted part way, and Maggie looks much less upset after Jack talks to her. The question is where Parson actually is since he probably didn't make it all the way home.

Caesar really needs to kill Vanna now. I don't see how he can let this kind of insubordination stand and maintain any type of authority. At least, not outside of the fact that several characters have been firmly grasping the idiot ball for this entire arc in order to make it work.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XanKrieger View Post
    Spoiler: Aw yeah semantics
    Show
    Not that it matters too much, but I'm pretty sure Ceasar is in the act of choking her. Additionally I appreciate the set of emotions gone through by Jack and Maggie in the background of the first few panels.
    Yeah, the two in the background certainly have a lot going on visually for just two minor panel cameos there. And that third clse up with an angry Maggie. Oooh boy. If Caesar don't kill Vanna...

It's the little things like that the text updates don't show the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm pretty sure the spell didn't work as intended. There are several hints indicating it didn't go off as planned. The spell was interrupted part way, and Maggie looks much less upset after Jack talks to her. The question is where Parson actually is since he probably didn't make it all the way home.
    I'll place a bet that he ends up in I'mComingForYouStanley.

Caesar really needs to kill Vanna now. I don't see how he can let this kind of insubordination stand and maintain any type of authority. At least, not outside of the fact that several characters have been firmly grasping the idiot ball for this entire arc in order to make it work.
    Ye gods, yes. I can understand why Don didn't get rid of Vanna, but Caesar is a fool not to croak her.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #522
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'll place a bet that he ends up in I'mComingForYouStanley.
    That's an extremely popular theory on the Erfworld forums. A lot of people think the scroll works by sending him to wherever he considers to be home, just like the Arkenshoes.

They also have a popular theory that he's going to pop as Don King's new heir. Somehow. Not all of the speculators seem to be joking about this.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    That's an extremely popular theory on the Erfworld forums. A lot of people think the scroll works by sending him to wherever he considers to be home, just like the Arkenshoes.

They also have a popular theory that he's going to pop as Don King's new heir. Somehow. Not all of the speculators seem to be joking about this.
    That seems unlikely to me. We got a description, however brief, of how the spell works here. It essentially undoes the summoning, sending him back to where he would naturally be - Earth. Though I admit the "where he belonged" wording brings some ambiguity into it.

My guess would be that this is a setup for how the Arkenshoes will be brought back to Erfworld - by Parson using them to travel to where he considers home. He's heard the story from Jack, now, so he could reasonably think of looking up Judy Gale on Earth to ask her for them.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

14. - Top - End - #524

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Though I admit the "where he belonged" wording brings some ambiguity into it.
    I kind of doubt it too, it would be stupidly careless of Charlie. But in addition to the "where he belonged" bit, they are also interpreting the "psychocosmic tension" thinkobabble to mean some sort of "Date-a-mancy connection", and if he doesn't care about his old home anymore, the psychocosmic tension will cease to exist, and since "home is where the heart is", the scroll will send him to ICFYS.

My guess would be that this is a setup for how the Arkenshoes will be brought back to Erfworld - by Parson using them to travel to where he considers home. He's heard the story from Jack, now, so he could reasonably think of looking up Judy Gale on Earth to ask her for them.
    Maybe. That does beg the question of whether Judy even comes from the same Stupidworld though. Her body proportions aren't normal for Parson's Stupidworld.

Also, in the Oz books the Arkenshoes are based on, the silver shoes had no power outside of fairy lands and were automatically lost in Oz's desert border.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Also, in the Oz books the Arkenshoes are based on, the silver shoes had no power outside of fairy lands and were automatically lost in Oz's desert border.
    The arkenshoes are almost certainly based on the film, not the books directly. Judy Gale is a wink to Judy Garland who played the part of Dorothy Gale.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #526

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The arkenshoes are almost certainly based on the film, not the books directly. Judy Gale is a wink to Judy Garland who played the part of Dorothy Gale.
    I can't remember if Judy Garland was still wearing the rubby slippers at the end of the film, but it was made pretty explicit the whole thing was just a dream in that version. There's not much to base anything on if we are going exclusively by the movie.

17. - Top - End - #527

I'm sure we'll first get another text update all about strings.

That seems unlikely to me. We got a description, however brief, of how the spell works here. It essentially undoes the summoning, sending him back to where he would naturally be - Earth. Though I admit the "where he belonged" wording brings some ambiguity into it.
    On the page where the scroll is used, Roger is ripped apart and Parson on the right just saying "Oh boy" with a concerned look as the spell is cast. It's possible the spell was interrupted and Parson wasn't sent all the way home, but exists in some other state.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2018-01-05 at 09:34 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sure we'll first get another text update all about strings.
    Crossing my fingers for good old Stanley. He would notice right away the expensive summoned warlord suddenly missing from his ruler senses.

On the page where the scroll is used, Roger is ripped apart and Parson on the right just saying "Oh boy" with a concerned look as the spell is cast. It's possible the spell was interrupted and Parson wasn't sent all the way home, but exists in some other state.
    "Breaking news! Giant Hamster rampaging through Tokyo!"

19. - Top - End - #529
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If either this update or the next one isn't a Stanley PoV, I'll be extremely surprised. For once that would actually be a relevant perspective to get on these events now that the plot has actually moved.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Banned

Maybe we'll get an issue of Parson waking up in a hospital bed and the series ending.

Personally, I'm hoping for an update on that random stabber we had a few updates on before. We haven't checked in on him and a while, and his view of the current geopolitical situation is vital for understanding the overarching plot.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Update? What update?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Personally, I'm hoping for an update on that random stabber we had a few updates on before. We haven't checked in on him and a while, and his view of the current geopolitical situation is vital for understanding the overarching plot.
    I know you're being sarcastic, but Wrigley's gone. The entire second (and final) update with him was about the futility of his combat, but how he was happy to have finally gotten to use his spear just once.

So, checking in with him would be kinda hard.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I know you're being sarcastic, but Wrigley's gone. The entire second (and final) update with him was about the futility of his combat, but how he was happy to have finally gotten to use his spear just once.

So, checking in with him would be kinda hard.
    And yet still more interesting than another Isaac update, or anything to do with thinkamancy strings.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

No harder than getting him decrypted.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    No harder than getting him decrypted.
    He was already Decrypted. He was originally an Unaroyal Stabber, who lamented that he croaked without getting to use his spear; thus he relished the second chance to be able to use it.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

26. - Top - End - #536

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    "Breaking news! Giant Hamster rampaging through Tokyo!"
    This is funnier because I had just finished episode 6 of the new The Tick series on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Update? What update?
    Stanley POV vs. skip day, place your bets?

I see merit of Stanley's pov.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Stanley POV vs. skip day, place your bets?

I see merit of Stanley's pov.
    Was that supposed to be Friday or Saturday? either way, it's a skip now. We might get a second consecutive skip on Monday/Tuesday.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

Last Friday was a SKIP! Happy new year everyone!

Date # Skipped
    10/6/17 1st
    10/20/17 2nd
    11/7/17 1st
    11/14/17 2nd
    11/21/17 3rd
    12/5/17 1st
    12/19/17 2nd
    1/5/18 1st
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

29. - Top - End - #539

RedWizardGuy

The latest.

I almost feel sorry for Bill.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The latest.

I almost feel sorry for Bill.
    ALMOST. But after what he has done, I can't.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!