New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Most Optimized Wizard a Fighter Can Beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    An assessment thatīs pretty wrong. The fun part about using rules as written is that no-one can actually hide and not give information. Weird and implausible, but thatīs so.
    Agreed. You can protect yourself from scrying, telepathy, mind rape, and truth spells... But not from that farmer who saw you blast that dragon with a bolt of lightning then fly around and shoot it with little energy missiles. He's a farmer. That's the most exciting thing he ever saw. Of course he remembers it.
    "I'd like to cast Feather Fall for when my team lets me down."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I think we should compile a quick list of essential magic items for our Fighter.

I mentioned the Cowl of Warding. What else should he have?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Scholar View Post
    Perhaps the Fighter should take Hulking Hurler?
    This is my middle finger and you might kiss it. Same as your OP: If you canīt even manage to tag an edition and write it in a way that is unambiguous and points out an edition, then donīt cry when something turns up that will upset your expected result.

@ColorBlindNinja:

Serious question?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    Agreed. You can protect yourself from scrying, telepathy, mind rape, and truth spells... But not from that farmer who saw you blast that dragon with a bolt of lightning then fly around and shoot it with little energy missiles. He's a farmer. That's the most exciting thing he ever saw. Of course he remembers it.
    Not if you mind rape him to forget it.
    The False Balance Fallacy

The tendency to interpret the rules, not based on any validity with RAW or logic, but that which makes the game (in their eyes) more balanced.
    This tendency is often fueled by the incorrect belief that the game is balanced or the desire for it to be.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

@ColorBlindNinja:

Serious question?
    Yes, why wouldn't it be?

6. - Top - End - #66

This is my middle finger and you might kiss it. Same as your OP: If you canīt even manage to tag an edition and write it in a way that is unambiguous and points out an edition, then donīt cry when something turns up that will upset your expected result.
    Jesus Christ what is you problem!? All I did was suggest a build.

The tendency to interpret the rules, not based on any validity with RAW or logic, but that which makes the game (in their eyes) more balanced.
    This tendency is often fueled by the incorrect belief that the game is balanced or the desire for it to be.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Uninteresting. Diplomacy and the appropriate Knowledge skills will always provide results, as that its part of how they work.

8. - Top - End - #68

Uninteresting. Diplomacy and the appropriate Knowledge skills will always provide results, as that its part of how they work.
    But the Farmer literally can't remember the encounter. How would you get it out of him with diplomacy?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

But the Farmer literally can't remember the encounter. How would you get it out of him with diplomacy?
    Do I have to care? As long as I can beat the appropriate checks, Iīll get my answer.

I could plausible pay a Rupi to a beggar in New Delhi, do my Knowledge: Local check and know what youīre up to in New Jersey.

No Plausibel? Donīt get me stated...

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Do I have to care? As long as I can beat the appropriate checks, Iīll get my answer.

I could plausible pay a Rupi to a beggar in New Delhi, do my Knowledge: Local check and know what youīre up to in New Jersey.

I sense this is case of general vs specific; with Mind Rape being the specific case and thus exception to the norm.

11. - Top - End - #71

DwarfFighterGuy

So, you're suggesting that somehow the hypothetical Wizard found out every single person in the entire world, and all other planes of existence, then teleported to them and mind raped his existence from their memory? And, this is genuinely your argument for why our hypothetical Fighter can't find any information about his existence? Sadly, I don't think there's anything RAW about wiping your existence from the collective knowledge of existence. However, my obvious question has to be this: why would any Wizard do this? Wizards usually want to be remembered.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Please take a moment to reread what Mindblank protects from. Your argument that a Fighter can't use contacts in order to gain information is flawed for a few reasons. Can a Fighter not have magic equipment made for him because he can't make it? Do you know what the Gather Information skill is used for? Because it's specifically going around talking to people. No, he can't use it to pinpoint the location of the Wizard. I never said he could. So, let me put it another way: nearly every argument for the Wizard is "if properly prepared he can x." Why can't a Fighter use basic common sense and get a little bit of information on his opponent before the fight? Please tell me that.
    Again, no I'm not, I'm arguing that you can't get blood from a stone.

If you spends 80 years gathering information on every living commoner, you might gather knowledge that "The Wizard appeared from nothing, fought and killed a Dragon, then disappeared" a few times. That doesn't give you any meaningful information about where he is or will be. The Fighter still can't find the Wizard.

2) The Fighter's basic common sense gets him no information at all. For basic common sense and one Gather Information check you can get literally no information. For basic common sense you can figure out that performing 3 billion gather information checks probably isn't worth your time. The fighter doesn't have any ability to get this information, that's why he can't have it.

3) The fighter can have WBL because WBL is a feature of being a level X Fighter (either NPC wealth or PC wealth). But having a level 18 Cleric around to cast all the spells for you is not a feature of being a level 20 Fighter unless you have the Leadership feat, and then, it's the Cleric cohort who is going to do 90% of the work, and you proved that Clerics are good and that Leadership is good, and the fighter still can't do anything.

13. - Top - End - #73

That might be more TO than PO.

So, you're suggesting that somehow the hypothetical Wizard found out every single person in the entire world, and all other planes of existence, then teleported to them and mind raped his existence from their memory? And, this is genuinely your argument for why our hypothetical Fighter can't find any information about his existence? Sadly, I don't think there's anything RAW about wiping your existence from the collective knowledge of existence. However, my obvious question has to be this: why would any Wizard do this? Wizards usually want to be remembered.
    I was just saying it was a possibility, also it was more in jest than anything else.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

That might be more TO than PO.
    Itīs neither. Itīs part of how this system was designed.

15. - Top - End - #75

DwarfFighterGuy

I was just saying it was a possibility, also it was more in jest than anything else.
    It would be pretty funny to read a story about a Wizard who had gone through the entire multiverse cleaning any evidence of his existence out of paranoia that one of his enemies would come get him, going so far as to build his lair in the deepest part of the Underdark with no access to it except via teleportation. Then he dies when there's an earthquake and his entire cave complex collapses on him.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It would be pretty funny to read a story about a Wizard who had gone through the entire multiverse cleaning any evidence of his existence out of paranoia that one of his enemies would come get him, going so far as to build his lair in the deepest part of the Underdark with no access to it except via teleportation. Then he dies when there's an earthquake and his entire cave complex collapses on him.
    That's why you should be incorporeal.

Edit:

Essential Magic Items

This might be a good place to start for the Fighter's gear.

Wings of Flying or Phoenix Cloak. Hmm...
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2017-06-16 at 02:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    That's why you should be incorporeal.
    Realistically speaking, If I were to have proof how the whole soul-stuff works and a high-level wizard has it, my decisions would be very different.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Banned

Do you know what the Gather Information skill is used for? Because it's specifically going around talking to people. No, he can't use it to pinpoint the location of the Wizard. I never said he could. So, let me put it another way: nearly every argument for the Wizard is "if properly prepared he can x." Why can't a Fighter use basic common sense and get a little bit of information on his opponent before the fight? Please tell me that.
    Because Gather Information doesn't work that way.

"An evening’s time, a few gold pieces for buying drinks and making friends, and a DC 10 Gather Information check get you a general idea of a city’s major news items, assuming there are no obvious reasons why the information would be withheld. The higher your check result, the better the information.

If you want to find out about a specific rumor, or a specific item, or obtain a map, or do something else along those lines, the DC for the check is 15 to 25, or even higher."

So, the DC is DM-determined, so for "Useful combat information about a high-level wizard who is trying not to be found" it could easily be DC 40, which is beyond the reach of fighter with a probable charisma penalty and 11 ranks in the skill.

Similarly, Knowledge is unlikely to work either; even if you take the literal reading of how knowledge checks work where it's like an uncannily-accurate divination, you still need a DC 30 knowledge (local) check - or knowledge (something else) if his creature type isn't humanoid - to remember a bit of useful information about the wizard, which the fighter can just possibly pass on a 20 or maybe a 19. Diplomacy? Doesn't work. All diplomacy is used for is changing people's attitudes - at best, someone will protect, back up, heal or aid you, and they may also chat, advise, offer limited help or advocate you, as well as performing socially expected interaction. If you manage the epic check to turn them fanatic they'll happily try to fight the wizard for you, but they still don't magically know where he is because nothing in any of the skill descriptions even implies that.

So to summarise, evil outsiders can't melt steel fighters, the moon astral projections were fake, and we should all wear tin-foil commoners to protect us from mind control. That, or you're lying. Hmm...
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-06-16 at 02:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Realistically speaking, If I were to have proof how the whole soul-stuff works and a high-level wizard has it, my decisions would be very different.
    What soul-stuff are you referring to?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

If people actually want to do this, I suggest an evolutionary process.
    1) Start with an uniptimized Wizard, like an iconic.
    2) Make a Fighter that can defeat that Wizard and all previous Wizards.
    3) Make a Wizard that can defeat that Fighter and all previous Fighters.
    4) GOTO 2

I also suggest that the level be 10 or 15 instead of 20. Reasons:
    1) More applicable to most campaigns
    2) Less work
    3) Avoid endless arguments about Ice Assassin et al

I also suggest that there be a concrete objective, because a turtle-fest is not as interesting. Proposal:
    1) The Wizard has a magic rose garden that will give him real ultimate power.
    2) It will take the Fighter one minute (10 rounds of actions) to ruin it.
    3) At the time the Fighter reaches the area, the ritual will finish in one hour (no further actions by Wizard needed).

So within an hour, one side will win.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    4) GOTO 2
    That's an interesting idea. Any suggestion for an iconic Wizard build?

2) Less work
    I think by the time we reach high enough Op for Ice Assassin the Fighter will have already failed to slay a lower Op Wizard.

I also suggest that there be a concrete objective, because a turtle-fest is not as interesting. Proposal:
    3) At the time the Fighter reaches the area, the ritual will finish in one hour (no further actions by Wizard needed).

That's an interesting idea, but I think that works against the Fighter. 10 rounds is an eternity; that's plenty of time for the Wizard to disable him.

It won't take much, just Mage's Disjunction and Forcecage.
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2017-06-16 at 06:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

4) GOTO 2
    I really like this idea. Perhaps we could use a Elven Generalist Wizard with no prestige classes.

2) Less work
    I mostly wanted to Lvl 20 since that's when they're at they've gotten all their useful class features and what not.

That might be an interesting 2nd Scenario. We'd see who would win in a straight fight and in a slightly more complicated challenge.
    Last edited by Tainted_Scholar; 2017-06-16 at 06:24 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

This discussion seems to have recovered from the lapse of common sense that happened in the page before and the benchmark seems alright enough. (Rose gardens)

I think we can start from a generalist wizard with core only spells and work our way from there. I also agree that it should be before 9th level spells are on the table because of various things like Ice Assassin, Shapechange et. al but it doesn't really matter that much. Its not like we don't know spells are better than a lack thereof.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be fine going to 20th lvl on both sides as long as certain problematic high-level spells are avoided. the Wizzard build previously put forth was inoptimally generated, but was not actually all that unoptimal; all it really proves is that a Wizard 20 with literally nothing worth mentioning but Shapechange and Astral Projection is still a formidable foe.

I'm currently working on a rather cheesy wizard build that is optimized with the end goal of "spend as many spells as possible on all-day buffs, and then pretend to be a monk or fighter". Y'know, see if a self-buffing wizard that avoids totally broken BS like polymorph effects can Big Number better than a fighter can Big Number. No summoning, no debuffing, no AoE or BFC, just self-buffing and wrecking face all day. I can't say if the end result will be an even fight, but I think it can certainly be a fair fight.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #85

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I'm currently working on a rather cheesy wizard build that is optimized with the end goal of "spend as many spells as possible on all-day buffs, and then pretend to be a monk or fighter". Y'know, see if a self-buffing wizard that avoids totally broken BS like polymorph effects can Big Number better than a fighter can Big Number. No summoning, no debuffing, no AoE or BFC, just self-buffing and wrecking face all day. I can't say if the end result will be an even fight, but I think it can certainly be a fair fight.
    Kinda like a CoDzilla but with a Wizard? It certainly sounds interesting, I'll say that.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Kinda like a CoDzilla but with a Wizard? It certainly sounds interesting, I'll say that.
    Essentially, yeah. Not quite DMM: Persist levels of cheese, but Incantatrix still has some BS in it. Ultimately, I figure putting the wizard into a Big Number contest with the fighter will make determining the victor much simpler (since it's essentially a contest between two fighters, it becomes more a comparison of offense and defense in pure numbers, rather than "I'm on another plane" or "I'm immune to everything" kind of BS defenses and "no save no SR just suck it up" or "7-layer BFC/AoE damage/round" BS offenses.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #87

Essentially, yeah. Not quite DMM: Persist levels of cheese, but Incantatrix still has some BS in it. Ultimately, I figure putting the wizard into a Big Number contest with the fighter will make determining the victor much simpler (since it's essentially a contest between two fighters, it becomes more a comparison of offense and defense in pure numbers, rather than "I'm on another plane" or "I'm immune to everything" kind of BS defenses and "no save no SR just suck it up" or "7-layer BFC/AoE damage/round" BS offenses.
    It'll be kinda sad if the Wizard turns out to be better at melee then the Fighter though.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It'll be kinda sad if the Wizard turns out to be better at melee then the Fighter though.
    I'd say that it's likely. Spells can easily shoot your AC, STR, ect. into the stratosphere.

Are you planning to use Polymorph/Shapechange to boost your stats?
    Last edited by ColorBlindNinja; 2017-06-16 at 08:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't buy these kind of stipulations, you are basically handing the Fighter infinite knowledge he couldn't have and transportation he couldn't manage. If you throw 90% of high level into the trash to start the comparison, why not just use lower level character like level 7.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

That would be quite sad, yes. If it helps, my build gets a lot less effective if certain sources are off the table; I could deal with losing obscure splats and having to use lesser spells to reach similar effects (giving up Triple Strike for regular old Haste, for instance), but if Dragon Magazine was off the table (and it usually is), my Will save would be 10 points lower (and closer to a regular Wizard Will save), and my HP would plummet a good bit (using Int in place of Con for HP is great in the early levels, and becomes less necessary when I get some good Con buffs up). Considering that Dragon Magazine is often banned and/or not considered 1st party, it's easy to take away some parts of the build...although I still think it'll largely be functional.

Quote Originally Posted by ColorBlindNinja View Post
    Are you planning to use Polymorph/Shapechange to boost your stats?
    Nope. Not touching polymorph effects, as previously stated. The characterization I'm going for is a wizard who believes in his own enlightened use of ki; he's perfectly fine enhancing his own body to Super-Saiyan levels, but just copying the body of another creature is cheap magic tricks that let puny mages pretend to be real warriors like him.

My Homebrew