New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default 3.PF Character Optimization: Saving Throws

I would like to discuss what the highest possible saving throws a character could gain would be. Monks have the debatably the best saving throws by progression, but by multi-classing, you can increase this further, and by taking feats to optimize your saving throws, you can go even further still.

So, by level 20, what is the highest saving throws using only base class increases (ergo excluding things like Paladins Divine Grace) you can come up with?

You can use races if they have increased saves, or increased ability scores that would boost saving throws, but the limit is no level adjustment.

No alignment restrictions.

Edit: Feats can be used, but only if they increase every aspect of a Save, not just an aspect of a particular Save. IE: A feat that increases Will Saves against Mind Affecting Effects doesn't count towards other effects that Will Saves are used for.
    Last edited by AOKost; 2017-06-17 at 04:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 3.PF Character Optimization: Saving Throws

Quote Originally Posted by AOKost View Post
    using only base class increases (ergo excluding things like Paladins Divine Grace)
    Why that restriction? Especially in PF, class features are where you get your saving throws build upon, not what the base class provides.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Why that restriction? Especially in PF, class features are where you get your saving throws build upon, not what the base class provides.
    Indeed, but what I want to know is how high can you get their base saves by level 20. If you can find 20 Monk type classes, then you'd have a base save to Fortitude of 40, Reflex of 40 and Will of 40.... Can someone do that?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AOKost View Post
    Indeed, but what I want to know is how high can you get their base saves by level 20. If you can find 20 Monk type classes, then you'd have a base save to Fortitude of 40, Reflex of 40 and Will of 40.... Can someone do that?
    There aren't many base classes that grant 3 good saves. However, many give 2 good saves, so you could end up with something like +32 in each. Now, you are going to have an abysmal BAB and no class features to speak of...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Long_shanks View Post
    There aren't many base classes that grant 3 good saves. However, many give 2 good saves, so you could end up with something like +32 in each. Now, you are going to have an abysmal BAB and no class features to speak of...
    For this exercise, I don't particularly care about BAB, only the end result of optimized base saves. That's why I limited it to base and discarded class abilities, but allowed racial bonuses. I want to know what the maximum Save is. It seems to be 40 for any particular Save by level 20, but could you increase ALL of them to 40 by level 20?

Using Feats, how high can you get it above 40? Only feats that apply to everything the save it applies to can be applied to, and not to a specific effect.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

PF has only one class with all good saves, around 15 classes with two good saves, the rest have to work with a single good save. So weŽll end up in the 30 range for saves before feats, 32 with the usual save boosters and the rest being to specific to count.