New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShIVe: Damn It, Dan, Stop Teasing Us!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Was just about to say that myself.

Also Arthur being one of the seers deciding this doesn't bode well.
    I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be a debate or a vote type thing, with all (3?) seers in one dream space.

If so... Arthur's reason for facilitating magics change was "it's my job and I unilaterally decided to make sure the table flipped over and take away everyone's magic rather than actually help people or try to cover up ways bad people could easily get magic." Arthur chose to do his job by doing nothing.

In comparison, I expect Tedd to have a much more passionate and logical counter-argument for why magic should change little or not at all.

Passionate because we've seen good arguments for why everyone should have magic but really only "some people are jerks" as a reason for why it can't, becuase this is Tedd's passion project and something that means a lot ot her. Also becuase of how important people's spells are and how they'll be hurt if they lose magic. Logical becuase, as Elliot already pointed out, the cats already out of the bag that magic exists and everybody and their grandma has a high quality camera on their person at all times.

Also, Van seems to like Tedd more than he likes Arthur and so might vote Tedd's way(Alternatively, if magic changes to much his mom will lose her powers and won't be able to hunt mosters without risking being seriosuly hurt)

What I'm expecing is that Tedd will successfully make it so that Magic either doesn't change or changes in ways that let everyone who already has magic keep it working the way it does but the super easy ways for anyone ever to get magic either go away or stop working for bad people.

Worst case scenario, Arthur gets pissed off and is petty enough to try and make Tedd's life hell, but that would assume he wouldn't get fired forhis plan "not working" and that he manages to tie "busty purple haired teen girl" to Edward Veres' son.

Edit: Also, Magus and Sirleck getting to the facility and finding that The Dewitchery Diamond doesn't work anymore would be a horribly anti-climactic end to that running storyline, which considering howlong Magu has been around...
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-01-24 at 01:50 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

So the people teaching magic again and the determining the severity of the change are Tedd, a some kid named Van and Arthur.

Van is going to be the wild card here. Tedd will want a world with more magic, Arthur will want to make it secret as usual, but Van is a child, so we don't know how he will influence this.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #423
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    So the people teaching magic again and the determining the severity of the change are Tedd, a some kid named Van and Arthur.

Van is going to be the wild card here. Tedd will want a world with more magic, Arthur will want to make it secret as usual, but Van is a child, so we don't know how he will influence this.
    Van seems to instinctively like and trust Tedd, to the point of dashing behind her for protection, so whatever opinions of his own Van has I expect he'll at least be open to considering what Tedd has to say. I doubt it's as simple as a vote, though - the Seers are here to provide a human perspective, but the Will of Magic is still the sole decider of what happens. Each of them will have to try to persuade Magic to accept their arguments.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yea I think this is less like a democracy and more like a dictator asking for advise.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Edit: Also, Magus and Sirleck getting to the facility and finding that The Dewitchery Diamond doesn't work anymore would be a horribly anti-climactic end to that running storyline, which considering howlong Magu has been around...
    Voltaire tortured Magus, but hasn't killed him even though he almost certainly can. Pandora and Voltaire seemed to consider Magus an optional part of their plans.

Helena and Demetrius tried to kill him or at least block his resurrection for "balance". Given the sheer amount of effort and devotion they gave this, I doubt their reasons were as simple as the half dead should go all the way dead.

Maybe Magus's resurrection and his other world magic is going to mess magic up somehow.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I suspect magic is going to ask a lot of random seeming questions, and base its reaction on them in ways that aren't clear, and aren't predictable from the questions asked.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now don't lie dan, the kids name is clearly Yugi. He may need a few more years to grown his hair but I still recognize it in it infancy!
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2018-01-24 at 05:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Firbolg in the Playground

I like the new kid, he immediately knew which butt to get a hold of.

Will the dewitchery diamond still work after this? Or is Magus stuck again? What about Raven? Or Noah, who was a powerhouse?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I suspect magic is going to ask a lot of random seeming questions, and base its reaction on them in ways that aren't clear, and aren't predictable from the questions asked.
    I don't think so.

There would be no need for them to be in one group for that.

I'm pretty sure magic intends for them to argue amongst themselves and take notes on what they say, possibly with the most convincing argument being the deciding in how the changes happen.

Or if it happens. I'm still expecting Tedd to somehow keep it from meaningfully changing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I like the new kid, he immediately knew which butt to get a hold of.
    Careful now, we're pretty sure that they're related.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

yes, I think he is hiding behind Tedd because she might look like Noriko the most in that form. it would make sense given family resemblance.

11. - Top - End - #431

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think Van has the same oblong eyes that Dan uses for the confirmed Asian characters(Ashley, the Kitsunes, and Tedd) and his Bangs seem to be the same shade of Grey that Dan uses for Nanase's red hair in grey scale and we all know that she has a very strong resemblance to her aunt Noriko.

Coupled with the fact that being a Wizard and a Seer especially requires you to have the right combination of Immortal blood in your veins, and well...

Wait. This arc is Sister II. In the first two sisters, Ellen was the sister, and while she still might be due to this being the conclusion of the character arc that started with her birth, we thought that Diane was the sister for this story arc.

What if it's Tedd? Tedd is currently female and IIRC seems to prefer being female most of the time despite being fluid. I think that counts enough for Tedd to be a sister.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Are we? There are a lot of immortals in the world, was Pandora really the only one in history to love a mortal?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Are we? There are a lot of immortals in the world, was Pandora really the only one in history to love a mortal?
    The kid is British, a seer, his hair color resembles Nanase's, and while it's hard to tell due to his size in the images and his facial expressions, amd his eyes seem to have the same shape the asian members of the cast, which would make him part asian. His mother is a monster hunter.

Tedd's mother is confirmed to have at least one other child, was somewhere in Europe when Tedd last heard of her(and Britain is part of Europe), Nanase is confirmed to strongly resemble her, is Asian, has the relevant immortal ancestry for her children to potentially be seers, and is a confirmed monster hunter.

If Van isn't Noriko's other kid I will find and eat a live crow.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2018-01-24 at 08:16 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The kid is British, a seer, his hair color resembles Nanase's, and while it's hard to tell due to his size in the images and his facial expressions, amd his eyes seem to have the same shape the asian members of the cast, which would make him part asian. His mother is a monster hunter.

Tedd's mother is confirmed to have at least one other child, was somewhere in Europe when Tedd last heard of her(and Britain is part of Europe), Nanase is confirmed to strongly resemble her, is Asian, has the relevant immortal ancestry for her children to potentially be seers, and is a confirmed monster hunter.

You are right in a lot of that, but for your conclusion to be true there would have to be a huge lot of coincidences, the odds against ought to be astronomic, but this is a comic, so it probably will turn out that way.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

his hair color resembles Nanase's
    His hair is clearly dyed somewhere; it might be the front rather than the back that's the natural color. Or it could be all dye.

Agree with the rest though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #436

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    His hair is clearly dyed somewhere; it might be the front rather than the back that's the natural color. Or it could be all dye.

Agree with the rest though.
    And would him having had his hair dyed in just such a way that it resembled Nanase's hair when she died back to her original color then let it grow back out while burned out be the biggest coincidence in this comic?

Hell, it's got the cockatiel shape of Manase's hair, too now that I look at it again.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

And would him having had his hair dyed in just such a way that it resembled Nanase's hair when she died back to her original color then let it grow back out while burned out be the biggest coincidence in this comic?

Hell, it's got the cockatiel shape of Manase's hair, too now that I look at it again.
    That style (bright in front and dark elsewhere, with the cut providing a sharp distinction between the sections) is not uncommon. Don't know what it's called, but I've seen it before; doesn't really resemble Nanase's half-of-all-hair except in color choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #438

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    That style (bright in front and dark elsewhere, with the cut providing a sharp distinction between the sections) is not uncommon. Don't know what it's called, but I've seen it before; doesn't really resemble Nanase's half-of-all-hair except in color choice.
    It's still rather evocative of the same effect.

Also, I just double checked
    Spoiler: It's hard to be sure because of the art style change
    Show

But I'm pretty sure he's got the same haircut as Manase.

And again, would it really be that big of a coincidence, first cousins who've never met having similar natural hair colors and/or syed in a similar patern, cut the same way, in a comic where Susan is inexplicably almost identical to her several greats neice?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My understanding is that Seer's are really rare and ones that have used magic are even rarer. These three could be the only qualified ones in existence. Also it was stated that Tedd had the right mix to qualify as a seer. As such would it really be that much of a coincidence for her only sibling to be here?

In fact, wouldn't it be more of a coincidence for all these clues to all fit someone else entirely?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-01-25 at 05:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

While I agree with you, and the old saying is misery enjoys company, please put the crow out of it's own misery before continuing with your own.

Also I am pretty sure not Tengu referenced a second son in his reference to Noriko.
    Last edited by Mith; 2018-01-25 at 07:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #441

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Also I am pretty sure not Tengu referenced a second son in his reference to Noriko.
    "Children". Male or female is unspecified, we just know that Tedd has at least one sibling.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2018-01-25 at 07:50 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

22. - Top - End - #442

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    "Children". Male or female is unspecified, we just know that Tedd has at least one sibling.
    I could have made them all look like her first-born son, but that didn't really... appeal... to me
    First-born son only makes sense if Noriko has more than one son.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

By the way, I think I've figured out why Noriko left: she cheated on Tedd's father.

and thinking on it: Susan looks an awful lot like Tedd when she was genderbent to be male.

while the age at which Susan's father left is when she was a child, about maybe half Susan's age?

I forget which comic shows us when Tedd's mother left, but it might be around the same time.

which might mean that Tedd's mother cheated with Susan's father, and they both left to take care of Van in britain, why? well remember, Van's mother is a MONSTER HUNTER. what magic does Susan have? vampire slaying magic. so where would she get that magic from? someone who hunts those, like her father who might have a shared interest in slaying monsters with another monster hunter. they cheated on their spouses and when Van came into the picture, suddenly the situation got complicated because there was going to be a second child on the way, so rather than lie to Tedd's father, Noriko instead left along with Susna's father, this could explain why both Susan's mother doesn't hate Susan's father while still blaming his gender, while Nanase's mother doesn't have a high opinion of her: Noriko and Susan's father were simply both monster hunters, they got into an affair because of their shared interest and it got complicated from there.

meaning Van could be the half brother of both Susan and Tedd.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    By the way, I think I've figured out why Noriko left: she cheated on Tedd's father.

and thinking on it: Susan looks an awful lot like Tedd when she was genderbent to be male.

while the age at which Susan's father left is when she was a child, about maybe half Susan's age?

I forget which comic shows us when Tedd's mother left, but it might be around the same time.

which might mean that Tedd's mother cheated with Susan's father, and they both left to take care of Van in britain, why? well remember, Van's mother is a MONSTER HUNTER. what magic does Susan have? vampire slaying magic. so where would she get that magic from? someone who hunts those, like her father who might have a shared interest in slaying monsters with another monster hunter. they cheated on their spouses and when Van came into the picture, suddenly the situation got complicated because there was going to be a second child on the way, so rather than lie to Tedd's father, Noriko instead left along with Susna's father, this could explain why both Susan's mother doesn't hate Susan's father while still blaming his gender, while Nanase's mother doesn't have a high opinion of her: Noriko and Susan's father were simply both monster hunters, they got into an affair because of their shared interest and it got complicated from there.

meaning Van could be the half brother of both Susan and Tedd.
    While I like this idea, I am recalling that the woman that Susan saw was blonde, which is why Susan hated her own blonde hair. And as I under stand it, Noriko's hair is likely red, since it matches Nanase's hair and explains why Tedd's hair is purple.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, given that Susan's father is a Cheating Cheater Who Cheats, who says he kept it to just one woman?
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2018-01-25 at 10:27 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Well, given that Susan's father is a Cheating Cheater Who Cheats, who says he kept it to just one woman?
    Hm. maybe, but that might be overcomplicating things. is Noriko having a spell to become blonde as a disguise simpler? because thats not beyond the realm of possibility.

27. - Top - End - #447

Some good news for Tedd, it seems, magic has already been considering whether to go ahead and allow a full reveal.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Some good news for Tedd, it seems, magic has already been considering whether to go ahead and allow a full reveal.
    If he were the only seer to make it, this would be pretty simple: Open to everybody, absurdly high resistance to the point that you couldn't use magic against an unwilling target and effects wouldn't last a second longer than desired by the target. Done.

Arthur will probably be all for a radical change, not least because of his own presence. The commonality of magic has been a problem for him for a while and he's been looking forward to Magic flipping the table for a while now to fix it. The fact that he's there means that the U.S. government and its allies will be mages from the pretty much the start, giving Arthur's forces an absurd advantage against their opposition. Stripping magic from the "bad guys" and leaving it in the hands of the "good guys" seems like a perfect solution, at least short term.

Van... I'm not sure of. If we go with the obvious assumption that his mother is Noriko, then a logical expectation is that he sees magic as excitement and adventure. His mother without magic would be at a handicap against monsters - and monsters likely would not go away if magic changed, though the monsters themselves might be different. Van is actively evoking his mother's image as a threat when intimidated, suggesting he sees her magic as a important to his safety. Neither declawing it (like Tedd wants) nor radically altering it (like Arthur likely wants) will appeal to him.

And, let's face it, Magus already pointed out a massive danger of dropping the masquerade: "You can't have a world with a lot of magic without a lot of monsters. You have tornado sirens, we had dragon sirens."

So three people, all with good hearts but very different outlooks on the role of magic, will decide the direction the world goes through discussion.

This comic always finds a way to catch me off guard.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Firbolg in the Playground

The concept of target becomes difficult, when you can just destroy a building full of people. Or an empty building that belongs to someone else. Tedd probably has thought of this.

I guess that the gay guy at the Magic tournament is one of the two seers that were too diligent to come?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The concept of target becomes difficult when you can just destroy a building full of people. Or an empty building that belongs to someone else. Tedd probably has thought of this.

I guess that the gay guy at the Magic tournament is one of the two seers that were too diligent to come?
    Luke? No, his aura vision is a spell that Pandora gave him with a mark. If he was a Seer, he wouldn't need a mark to see magic.

Honestly, I think Tedd would argue that magic should stay the same, more or less, but be easier to build up magic resistance and harder for people who would use it maliciously start dreaming or awaken.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks