New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1513
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShIVe: Damn It, Dan, Stop Teasing Us!

So it's more like "obscure" than "dark"?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    So it's more like "obscure" than "dark"?
    I have no idea what "dunkel" means in German, I know dunkel-grun is a very dark green, but that's all, I was talking about what "dark" means in English, and I'm not quoting a dictionary, so I suppose it's more feelings than definitions.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-07-16 at 12:32 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I love how in-character it is that Elliot & Ellen might not know what job their dad has. Just really seems to fit the lack of introspection and investigation Elliot generally shows. (especially if the dad is trying to be secret about it)

I've thought for a while they must be 'in the know' in some sense. For a while, I figured they were friends with Tedd's dad and that's how Elliot and Tedd met, but the story of how those two met dismisses that.

I also first read the commentary as Dan saying he didn't have a definite idea, but upon rereading I see he does know what the deal is, but is keeping it quiet. That's a tad disappointing: I was hoping it'd be part of the next few comics. (Though I agree knowing might preclude a lot of humor.)

I was about to say something about Nanase and her mom, but then I remembered that Nanase figured out her mom must know more than she's letting on after she learned Tedd's mom was a monster-hunter.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Ogre in the Playground

According to my sources (the internet), "dunkel" predominantly refers to coloration and light (my shirt is a dark red; it's dark at night). Dark beers are also called "dunkels," but that is derived from their traditionally dark color. I don't think it has any association with grim and gritty genres.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

There was a whole plot point about a Griffin looking for "German Dark."

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    There was a whole plot point about a Griffin looking for "German Dark."
    That didn't tell us all about the nuances of dunkel in German.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

I am the only one who thinks Bigger Gracemander shoulder's look really weird in today's EGS:NP strip?
    I am not one to criticize artwork but I don't think humans can move their arm like that.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I am the only one who thinks Bigger Gracemander shoulder's look really weird in today's EGS:NP strip?
    I am not one to criticize artwork but I don't think humans can move their arm like that.
    Good thing Bigger Gracemander isn't human, then.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Dunkel" in german is usually used to describe properties of colour, as explained above in "dunkelrot" - "dark red", or referring to the time of day, when night settles in: "Es wird dunkel." - "It is becoming dark." We use it also in "cover up a kind of investigation", "Shady business", "power outage" and "somber and/or depressive mood, perhaps agressive tendencies". Yes, "Light and Dark" can also play into it, altough the word "Finsternis" is often used here, as a kind of more "evil" darkness.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

10. - Top - End - #1030

Throwback Party!
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Sister 3 is now at an end.

While I like this ending, I would say two things I would have liked done differently.

1) I would have rather Pandora's success at "refreshing" to be more ambiguous until this last page (can't spell at the moment). I think it would have made a bigger impact in character interactions, and to me a more interesting future interaction with Sarah and Aidrian.

2) I really do not think descriptions are needed for "Unkown time and place".

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Colossus in the Playground

It has been roughly 25 months since Sister III started.

@^ On point II, saying an unknown time and place makes it ambiguous.

If he hadn't, we'd assume that it had already happened but now it's ambiguous, we won't know when this page takes place until Pandora pops back up again.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It has been roughly 25 months since Sister III started.

@^ On point II, saying an unknown time and place makes it ambiguous.

If he hadn't, we'd assume that it had already happened but now it's ambiguous, we won't know when this page takes place until Pandora pops back up again.
    Fair enough I suppose. Just frlt a bit extreneous to me.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    1) I would have rather Pandora's success at "refreshing" to be more ambiguous until this last page (can't spell at the moment). I think it would have made a bigger impact in character interactions, and to me a more interesting future interaction with Sarah and Aidrian.
    Dan seems to like avoiding unnecessary drama brought about by misunderstandings or withheld information. I, for one, appreciate that. Way too many stories are plagued by that particular cliché, and I like that there is at least one that doesn't partake in it.

I mean, I just spent the past week rewatching seasons two and three of Arrow.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't know how well it worked. Her recounting of her identity looked a lot like her use of book recitation. If I were to guess, the next time we see her she's going to be going through her identity as if it were a book report until she gets to Blaike, at which she'll get teary eyes and say something like "...my family... I still love my family...".

After which we'll have Pandora as a weaker, but more balanced and approachable ally.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I don't know how well it worked. Her recounting of her identity looked a lot like her use of book recitation. If I were to guess, the next time we see her she's going to be going through her identity as if it were a book report until she gets to Blaike, at which she'll get teary eyes and say something like "...my family... I still love my family...".

After which we'll have Pandora as a weaker, but more balanced and approachable ally.
    Pandora did explicitly state she was getting memories from her previous self when that happened.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Pandora did explicitly state she was getting memories from her previous self when that happened.
    Back then, when talking to the Emissary? Yes. But her posture, eyes, and text font are the same right now as when she did that. Who Pandora was is apparently the classic Immortal "book report". I mean, of course the vast majority of her life was going to be condensed into a fairy tale, but I expected her to do something to keep her identity. I guess she saved all that space for "live" memories for her friends and her family without much thought for who she'd be beyond them. I guess she didn't much care who she became as long as the new her loved them as much as she did.

Anyway, just struck me as interesting. Pandora 2 isn't going to be the same character at all, it seems, beyond a very specific set of memories and emotions.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

I just read this entire comic in the course of a few days. Will I get all the updates if I just bookmark the main page, or do I need to also bookmark the other comic pages?

19. - Top - End - #1039

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I just read this entire comic in the course of a few days. Will I get all the updates if I just bookmark the main page, or do I need to also bookmark the other comic pages?
    If you just bookmark the main page, then you'd need to click the links on the main page to see the NP and sketchbook updates as well. That said, if you're just looking to get notifications when it updates, Dan is pretty good about posting when the comic is up on his twitter feed.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    If you just bookmark the main page, then you'd need to click the links on the main page to see the NP and sketchbook updates as well. That said, if you're just looking to get notifications when it updates, Dan is pretty good about posting when the comic is up on his twitter feed.
    He also posts them on Facebook, too.

21. - Top - End - #1041

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post

It's also possible that she recalls her existences before the last only as books, and is reminiscing of them.

RSS FTW

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It's also possible that she recalls her existences before the last only as books, and is reminiscing of them.
    It is possible that Pandora was a puckish rogue with a shotgun approach to self-naming in the life before she became Pandora, true. It would suggest Jerry wasn't too far off on the "basic nature" business that Zeus is so set on disproving (I would argue that Zeus is proving the point, honestly, and Jerry simply wasn't being honest with himself about his basic nature). That said, I would retort with "conservation of detail'. Unless pre-Pandora is relevant, there's little purpose to reference her here except as a cheap fakeout. Can't dismiss that, I know, but I wouldn't call it a safe bet.

Hmmm...

*Sighs*

*Checks watch*

*Sighs again*

Oh, boy. This is going to be a long three weeks, isn't it...?
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Thanks. I don't use Twitter, don't check Facebook enough to use it for an update service, and have never found an RSS system that I liked. I prefer to just use bookmarks, so knowing what to bookmark is very handy. I didn't know if everything went to the front page and was sorted out later, or if (as is the case) everything is separate from the beginning.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I really enjoy this thread lol. The creativity in the comic is what continues to draw me in.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks. I don't use Twitter, don't check Facebook enough to use it for an update service, and have never found an RSS system that I liked. I prefer to just use bookmarks, so knowing what to bookmark is very handy. I didn't know if everything went to the front page and was sorted out later, or if (as is the case) everything is separate from the beginning.
    Huh, what bothered you about the rss systems?

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Huh, what bothered you about the rss systems?
    Every one I've used randomly stopped working, or failed to label the new content as "unread", or just looked ugly. I just find "middle-click the comics folder once a day" to be the easiest way to get updates.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly ever since Google Reader shut down for no reason I haven't been able to find a good RSS service myself.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Bugbear in the Playground

Every one I've used randomly stopped working, or failed to label the new content as "unread", or just looked ugly. I just find "middle-click the comics folder once a day" to be the easiest way to get updates.
    Not labeling new as unread I never had but when I was using a feedreader installed on my pc there were some comics that sometimes flooded the reader with old updates. Only a handful out of my few hundred so I put them in a separate bugged folder to make them easy to find, but it was weird. (Now I am using the online version to make it not bound to a pc.) Anyway while I had it never had it stop working but there are a few comics where I never noticed that they were gone only noticed it when transferring the feeds it couldn't find the feeds and I checked and the website didn't exist anymore.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Honestly ever since Google Reader shut down for no reason I haven't been able to find a good RSS service myself.
    Have you tried the Old Reader?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In regards to EPS NP; I am confused as to how catches new Grace-a-Mon given that they don't have an Graceballs (or other Pokeball equivalent). Do they just use nets or do they wilde Graces just start following you around if your Grace wins the "game?"

And I know they catch them because Justin said he knows how when Mr. Verres wanted to give him the exposition tutorial.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-08-06 at 02:38 PM.