New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Intelligent magic item hd

Since they're treated as constructs, do they only get 1 hd since they dont specify a number? Or is it automatically a class level?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Intelligent magic item hd

They're still magic items, so they don't have any HD. They have hp as appropriate to an item of their type and material, and make saving throws as magic items.

Intelligent items get to take actions as though they're constructs, and they don't get destroyed by disjunction as though they're constructs, but that's about it - they're still items.

They have no physical ability scores and can't take actions that rely on physical stats. If they activate an ability that makes an attack roll, they use the wielder's BAB and relevant ability mod as appropriate for activating a magic item.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    They're still magic items, so they don't have any HD. They have hp as appropriate to an item of their type and material, and make saving throws as magic items.

Intelligent items get to take actions as though they're constructs, and they don't get destroyed by disjunction as though they're constructs, but that's about it - they're still items.

They have no physical ability scores and can't take actions that rely on physical stats. If they activate an ability that makes an attack roll, they use the wielder's BAB and relevant ability mod as appropriate for activating a magic item.
    Doesn't having both wisdom and charisma automatically make them a creature as well per the. Nonability section?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Afaict they should possess 1 construct hd. Per the rules a creature with only a single rhd should be able to take a class level, however as intelligent magical items they should have an LA of -. Check with your dm whether they should earn experience as a cohort and wether you can take it as a cohort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Use the MIC combining magic item rules and add the effects of a Figuring of Wondrous Power.

Boom. Now what might be a creature depending on GM ruling literally turns into a creature sometimes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Intelligent magic items are an anomaly: in some ways, they are treated as creatures (Constructs to be specific), yet in other ways they are considered equipment.

I doubt you'll find an official source that lists how many "HD" an intelligent magic item has, or any official source that lets them advance by class levels. Also, can you imagine how abusable this would be?

PC: "By the way, did I mention my spiked gauntlet +1 is also a level 20 Psion?"

@ OP: If you're looking for a way to be an intelligent item as a PC, AFAIK you'll be firmly in home-brew territory. There have been other threads on the topic:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I mean, Psychic Sandwich is a thing. Also, your Item Familiar is technically a valid target for Familiar Form(which can be chained to make everlasting).