New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Any tattoo fans? I知 going for my first tomorrow

I知 excited, anxious, nervous, and just can稚 wait to get this going.

I致e chosen a design from my favorite movie. What do you guys think?

I知 a bit nervous about the pain, although I致e got a decent pain tolerance and I know I値l be ok.

Any tips for a first timer?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Any tattoo fans? I知 going for my first tomorrow

*Shrugs*

I somewhat regret having mine done. I mainly don't see it and it lost its meaning to me a while ago, so itエs basically a useless mark on my body.

As for the "pain", that largely depends on the location and how close it is to your underlying bone structure. I had my upper right arm done in one session, read a book, fell asleep .... an ex of mine had hers at the shoulder blade and had to break that into three sessions because she couldn't stand it.

Be prepared for the time after, because you're basically sporting one large and very sore wound on your bodies biggest and most important organ. You will need something like a large supply of (real) camille tea to rinse the area, a good fat-based salve to speed up the healing and some cooling packs to help with the inflamed muscles.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looks great!

Where are you getting it?

Me, I have 0 tattoos, but I'm seriously considering getting my wife's name on my left shoulderblade in a heart, then adding a twisting ribbon to it, one twist for each kid.

Also considering getting the Air Force emblem on my shoulder.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Looks great!

Where are you getting it?

Me, I have 0 tattoos, but I'm seriously considering getting my wife's name on my left shoulderblade in a heart, then adding a twisting ribbon to it, one twist for each kid.

Also considering getting the Air Force emblem on my shoulder.
    It痴 going on my calf, I知 thinking it値l wrap from the side around the back of it.

One of my hesitations was making sure the tattoo would really mean something to me. This means something on many levels.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

For most of my late teens and twenties, I wanted a tattoo. I decided on a plan: if I saw or thought of a design I wanted to get tatted, I'd wait a year. After that year, if I still liked it as much as I did at first, I would get that design as a tattoo.

I have no tattoos.

Granted, if I had thought of the Imperial cog at the time, I absolutely would have a tattoo today, but by the time I realized that I no longer want to get one done.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

This reminds me when my GF called my attention that I constantly reply her with a similar quote; she now believes my subconscious is doing it on purpose (we are both fans of the film of course).

I'm not a "fan" of tatoos, but I have a full back tattoo of a dragon. I also have high pain tolerance on that zone (I had to ask the guy if he was actually working or reading back there, because I didn't even noticed the nail). Only thing to care about the pain is wherever the bone sticks out, because it hurts like a [CENSORED]. For me it was just atop the shoulder bone, and I never felt anything as painful as that.

But if you ask me, what is truly dangerous is any tickling zone (which for me is my lower waist); because you REALLY DON'T wanna have tickles while having a tattoo. I know it sounds odd, but it's a real thing. What IT IS!

I really dig the design, btw
    (sic)

My English non tr鑚 bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Love the design. I have four myself. One on each limb:

Right Bicep: Wolfsbane from X-Factor (1994).
    Left Bicep: Kaitlyn Fairchild from Gen13 (1995).
    Right Calf: Velocity from CyberForce (1997).
    Left Calf: Batgirl, Barbara Gordon (2013).

I got the first three retouched a couple months before getting Batgirl done.

1. It does hurt, especially the black ink. Some can handle it better than others. Even those who think they can, sometimes find they can't.
    2. Anywhere there isn't fat or muscle tissue usually hurts more than other areas. For instance, the shin. The closer your skin is to the bone, the more it hurts.
    3. I found out that the back area of my right calf was super sensitive by the time I decided to get Velocity recolored. It felt like my leg was on fire, and I don't remember it hurting that much when I first got it done.
    4. I suggest getting a smaller one first, just to test your pain tolerance, and also to test how good the artist is. I have more than a few friends who have messed up tats because the idiot carving them into their skin wasn't all that good at doing their job. And when I say smaller, I don't mean a tiny little butterfly. Just... not your whole calf. for your first one.
    5. If you've found an artist you really like (hopefully one who has been recommended to you, by someone who has a, preferably recent, tattoo themselves.), and you are sure this is what you want to do, talk to them before hand. See what other things they have done. And make sure the place looks clean. If the place is a dump, run. If they can't take care of themselves, they won't take care of you.

These are my suggestions. Good luck.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm overdue for my second tattoo. I have one of a sparkplug on my forearm, which I got as a memorial to a friend. It hurt of course but it wasn't really any worse that what I was expecting. I've actually gotten scratches from house cats that hurt worse. Though I will warn you that during the healing process, they itch. I'd actually take the pain over the itching, but that's just me.

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thanks everyone.

I got the tattoo yesterday. The pain was there, it hurt, but it wasn稚 too bad. It痴 more sore now than anything.

Honestly, now that I know what to expect, getting the next one will be a lot easier.

It was made smaller than I thought walking in, but I really love it. Once it heals, and I learn how to host a picture (LOL), I値l show everyone.

Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Congrats. Glad to know it was worth it.

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Thanks everyone.

I got the tattoo yesterday. The pain was there, it hurt, but it wasn稚 too bad. It痴 more sore now than anything.

Honestly, now that I know what to expect, getting the next one will be a lot easier.

It was made smaller than I thought walking in, but I really love it. Once it heals, and I learn how to host a picture (LOL), I値l show everyone.

Thanks!
    Cool! Looking forward to it.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

So Klorox, do you already know what you'd like your next tattoo to be? I've had my next one planned for a while now, I just haven't had time to schedule an appointment.

13. - Top - End - #13

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    So Klorox, do you already know what you'd like your next tattoo to be? I've had my next one planned for a while now, I just haven't had time to schedule an appointment.
    I致e narrowed it down quite a bit.

14. - Top - End - #14

WolfInSheepsClothing

I hope this works:

15. - Top - End - #15

Wow. That's some great work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRヨDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

16. - Top - End - #16

It's amazing!

17. - Top - End - #17

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thanks guys!

I need to go back and get it touched up a little bit.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

I got my first one recently. It didn't hurt as much as I expected to be honest (though mine was on my upper arm, not a super painful spot). However it was early in the AM and I made the mistake of not eating beforehand, so my body started kinda freaking out. It made me feel super lightheaded and queasy, despite not hurting too much, and I had to stop for a few minutes and collect myself. So my advice would be to eat something a little beforehand!