New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWF Barbarian

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default TWF Barbarian

So I've got a player interested in playing a TWF Barbarian as his backup in case her current character dies.

Problem is, I've never built a TWF, especially of the Barbarian variety. So I turn to you, dear Playground, for the basics. She's only got 4 requests
    1. Must feel like a barbarian, preferably the majority of levels
    2. Must be competent, at the very least in combat (though out of combat utility is awesome)
    3. The main "tricks" need to come online as low-level as possible.
    4. Minimal amount of multiclassing

So, what do y'all suggest?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: TWF Barbarian

VHuman, take Dual Wielder feat. First level Fighter for dual wielding fighting style, Barbarian for the rest. The main'trick' is swinging around two battleaxes. It comes online at level one.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

As much as i don't like the idea of multi classing as a barbarian, i habe to agree with the previous person.

As for something of my own: I'd recommend wolf totem barbarian if UA is not allowed, or any of the storm herald paths if UA is allowed.

I'd choose goliath as the race, though, because the +2 / +1 to strength and con plus the ability to reduce damage is great, plus free athletics proficiency. Though, this does mean it's not as effective until at least player level 5 (fighter 1/ barbarian 4).

4. - Top - End - #4

I'd say VHuman is a necessity unless you're starting past level 5. Without the feat you'll be a barbarian fighting with shortsword. Ew.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

vhuman isn't necessary. 1-4 goes by so quick
    -could even do barb 5, lvl1 fighter dip then rest barb
    -full barb also works. Arguably equally

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure whose post it was, so I can give them credit, but here is an idea (that I have shamelessly copy-pasted from some time ago):
    Spoiler: Barbarogue
    Show

If it's a diverse skill set and mechanically interesting, while being very much a team-player...I can heartily recommend Thief Rogue/Wolf Totem Barbarian. As a build, it starts taking off from about level 3 (Barbarian 1/Rogue 2) and doesn't really slow down with gaining interesting features until...well, ever.

To explain;

1st level; Barbarian. You get 12hp, the oh-so-precious Con Save proficiency, all Martial weapons (more on that later) and Medium Armour (if you don't fancy going nekkid, which is also an option/back-up plan).

Level 2; Rogue. You get Sneak Attack and Expertise. Athletics is a must, because it opens up grapples and shoves as a completely viable option. Where Rage gave you Advantage on these things, Expertise makes you better than, well, anyone. The additional Skill proficiency and Thieves Tools gives you more options and spotlight time.

Level 3; Rogue. Cunning Action means you can do what yoy want, when you want, wherever you want to do it. Rock on, this is when the build really gets fun, because almost no-one can say "no" to whatever it is you're doing.

Level 4+; Options. From here on you have some choices to make, none of which are bad:

- Taking another level of Rogue (going Thief), you get Fast Hands, which means you can put that awesome Athletics score to food use wrecking terrain and manipulating the battlefield...as a Bonus Action. Do not underestimate the power and utility of this. If you go down this route, you probably want to stick with Rogue for a couple of levels to get that ASI and Uncanny Dodge to increase your tankiness. Staying the course to Rogue 7 for Evasion may also be worth it, to weather the friendly AoE's your party members are going to be throwing around by that time.

- Alternatively, go Barbarian. Reckless Attack means every attack is a Sneak Attack. Pursuing this route to Barbarian 5 for Wolf Totem (your allies will love you for giving them Advantage just for standing next to their target) and Extra Attack (if DPR is of any concern to you) is probably the "optimal" route. Having said that, getting to character level 6 as Rogue 3/Barbarian 3 isn't a bad character and has all the tools you want for an absolute blast of a gaming experience.

Race:

V.Human is definitely your go-to for this. I recommend Shield Master as your Bonus Feat. Whilst it "competes" with Cunning Action for your Bonus Action, it's another option available on your turn. Starting as a Barbarian, the bonus on Dex Saves to make up for your lack of Proficiency is nice and tasty. It also takes the pressure off of main-lining Rogue for Evasion.

Dwarves make really good Barbarian/Rogues too. The Bonus Con helps with the tanking (and don't mistake; thisnis a tank build) and if you go Hill Dwarf you'll have even more HP. Resistance to Poison means your HP go even further and helps immensely against traps, which a Rogue, you may encounter more of than most characters). Darkvision doesn't hurt and Stonecunning is an interesting ability to have with the right GM. More Tool profs don't hurt either (More options! More spotlight!). Going Dwarf will delay getting Shield Master though.

Half-Orc also works; tanky, strong, intimidatin'. What's not to like?

Feats:

Shield Master - As I mention above, this feat is your first go-to because it just opens up a ton of combat utility, both active and passive, offensivd and defensive.

Sentinel - Your next ASI goes on Sentinel. Not only does it increase the odds of getting more Sneak Attack (on OA's), but solidifies your role as a Tank.

Stats, Equipment and the rest:

Str>Dex>Con>Wis=Cha=Int

One-Handed Finesse Weapon (I recommend a Whip; the additional Reach gives you a much greater "presence" on the battlefield and Sneak Attack and Rage mitigates the lower damage die to the point of insignificance).

Breastplate Armour (when you can afford it) and Shield.

Pack some back-up finesse, ranged and/or light weapons. Dual wielding is always an option, as is chucking a knife/axe/dart. Don't feel too obligated about the special weapon features; you're super-buff and are using Str to attack, not Dex; you can lug a Maul with you for kicks (and skeleton smashing) if you really want.

Background: Take your pick. I like Outlander, for a more outdoorsy feel with Survival proficiency, but it's just a personal preference. Entertainer (Gladiator) could also work well with this build, for the "exotic" weapon prof, if you wanted to go Rogue at 1st level (if you want an extra Skill prof more than the HP and Con Save proficiency).

ps: Unless multiclassing in rogue, I would advise not delaying your extra attack.

@The Cats: What's wrong with shortswords? It's actually one of my favourite dnd weapons, for whatever build (especially for twf builds; maybe it helps that dual wielder is crap though). I suspect it has something to do with the game Diablo (never played it, but something about it was part of the excuse another player at my table made, when I questioned him about a simlar bias against shortswords). Shortswords can be brutal and personally I cant see anything wrong with a barbarian wielding 2 of those (flavour-wise), but I guess it's a matter of taste?
    Last edited by Corran; 2017-06-22 at 08:33 PM.
    Hacks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, the only TWF related feature you'd have to multiclass to get is a Fighting Style. Ranger gets you a fighting style and a good amount of out of combat utility.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

@The Cats: What's wrong with shortswords? It's actually one of my favourite dnd weapons, for whatever build (especially for twf builds; maybe it helps that dual wielder is crap though). I suspect it has something to do with the game Diablo (never played it, but something about it was part of the excuse another player at my table made, when I questioned him about a simlar bias against shortswords). Shortswords can be brutal and personally I cant see anything wrong with a barbarian wielding 2 of those (flavour-wise), but I guess it's a matter of taste?
    Nothing wrong with shortswords, but given the choice of weapons while being an ultra-buff, rage-fueled, monster-smashing killing machine I'll take "face crushing" or "bisecting" over "stabbing at the tender bits" every time.

ps: Unless multiclassing in rogue, I would advise not delaying your extra attack.
    Good point. Barbs get Con save too anyways so unless you want heavy armour delaying the fighter level is plausible. Depends on if you think that extra 3-4 damage per turn for five levels is worth delaying an extra 4-12 by one.
    Last edited by The Cats; 2017-06-22 at 08:49 PM.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

9. - Top - End - #9

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Nothing wrong with shortswords, but given the choice of weapons while being an ultra-buff, rage-fueled, monster-smashing killing machine I'll take "face crushing" or "bisecting" over "stabbing at the tender bits" every time.
    I like the idea of dual short swords at high speed. It'll be like shoving your enemies into a big blender.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by scalyfreak View Post
    I like the idea of dual short swords at high speed. It'll be like shoving your enemies into a big blender.
    It's the piercing that bugs me the most. I like imagining my barbarian chopping people up with angry haymakers and hooks. Jabs just feel too precise.

Quote Originally Posted by Desteplo
    vhuman isn't necessary. 1-4 goes by so quick
    -could even do barb 5, lvl1 fighter dip then rest barb
    -full barb also works. Arguably equally
    Not quick enough!
    Full barb works. Definitely not equally. Rage damage makes it more workable without the style than most other classes but it's still -3 to 5 damage per turn.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

11. - Top - End - #11

Goblin

It's the piercing that bugs me the most. I like imagining my barbarian chopping people up with angry haymakers and hooks. Jabs just feel too precise.
    Hand Axes and Throwing Hammers are light. You can even have one of each.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by suplee215 View Post
    Hand Axes and Throwing Hammers are light. You can even have one of each.
    OK problem solved. Go half orc or goliath if you want to. Or any class if you're not optimizing. Gnomes of halflings are even an option since with duel wielding you'll never be tempted by a heavy weapon. (though if you're REALY not optimizing, a gnome with a greataxe using reckless to mitigate the disadvantage would be hilarious.) Still want to swing around battleaxes as soon as possible though. Because battleaxes.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

13. - Top - End - #13

Scimitars are light and do 1d6 slashing if you prefer.

14. - Top - End - #14

ElfRogueGirl

I think you and I might have a different idea of what kind of short sword a barbarian would wield. I'm picturing a pair of large kukhri. I suppose it is in theory possible to stab with them, but they are a lot better for slashing and hacking, and I think they would be a great set of weapons for a barbarian.
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by scalyfreak View Post
    I think you and I might have a different idea of what kind of short sword a barbarian would wield. I'm picturing a pair of large kukhri. I suppose it is in theory possible to stab with them, but they are a lot better for slashing and hacking, and I think they would be a great set of weapons for a barbarian.
    See, then you're talking reflavoured scimitars, not shortswords. Regardless, I still think the bigger the weapon the better. If I could duel wield tree trunks I would.
    BokaliMali
    Catatar By Sensate
    Shoop-da-Whoop

16. - Top - End - #16

Goblin

See, then you're talking reflavoured scimitars, not shortswords. Regardless, I still think the bigger the weapon the better. If I could duel wield tree trunks I would.
    Not tree trunks but get a horse and you can duel wield Lances RAW.

17. - Top - End - #17

Lizardfolk

I just want to add I appreciate this thought because I've wanted to play an elf barbarian who uses two katars, and this is totally food for thought.

So for generations did the sainted skull of Caius Anicius Magnus Furius Camillus Æmilianus Cornelius Valerius Pompeius Julius Ibidus, consul of Rome, favourite of emperors, and saint of the Romish church, lie hidden beneath the soil of a growing town. At first worshipped with dark rites by the prairie-dogs, who saw in it a deity sent from the upper world..
    - H.P. Lovecraft, "Ibid".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Variant Human for Dual Wielding at level 1, lets you swing two war axes at once.

One level in fighter for TWF, important for being able to add your rage bonuses to both swings

16 Strength (Post Racial)
    14 Dex
    16 Con (Post Racial)

The rest don't matter, if you had to put a bonus in something put it in wisdom because most of your worst save spells will target this save, also perception is nice to have.

Go unarmored, 10 + 2 +3 is going to net you a better AC than 12+2 in light armor. Or you could take advantage of those sweet fighter armor proficiencies but that might mess with the flavor. For level 4 bump any of those depending on what you feel like you need.

Proceed to just completely go blender on your foes.

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

I always end up making my barbarians twfers. I usually go with a ranger 2 level dip however (revised) for some more utility out of combat and to complete a more rabid and born and wilderness/raised by wolves type of barbarian.

If you dont want to use handaxes for most of your career i would suggest going with vHuman for Dualwielder feat immediately so you can gab the bigger axes. Other options include

• 1 level fighter = fighting style, heavy armor, second wind
    • 2 levels of fighter = above + action surge
    • 3 levels of fighter(champion) = above + crit range
    • 3 levels of fighter(battlemaster) = maneuvers are nice and very cool
    • 3 levels of revised ranger(hunter) = choice of good passive damage boosts
    • 3 levels of beastmaster = cool animal companion (if only he could rage too)
    • 3 levels of deepstalker = good ambushing/pounce and murder bonuses.

I prefer storm herald if you can get to UA but there are other good barbarian archetypes. good thing about twfing is that 1-4 you do some of the best consistent damage. Extra attack at 5 merely keeps up with you too, ( go ahead and correct my math though, its been awhile since i ran the numbers), but you're gonna want EA just as much. Try your best to hit level 5 in barbarian before any heavy multi class. besides that the previous posters have it all down.

Good luck.

20. - Top - End - #20

I'd say VHuman is a necessity unless you're starting past level 5. Without the feat you'll be a barbarian fighting with shortsword. Ew.
    I've seen a dagger barbarian (don't ask), and why would they be a barbarian with a shortsword? Still two attacks per round from level 1.
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    So I've got a player interested in playing a TWF Barbarian as his backup in case her current character dies.

Problem is, I've never built a TWF, especially of the Barbarian variety. So I turn to you, dear Playground, for the basics. She's only got 4 requests
    1. Must feel like a barbarian, preferably the majority of levels
    2. Must be competent, at the very least in combat (though out of combat utility is awesome)
    3. The main "tricks" need to come online as low-level as possible.
    4. Minimal amount of multiclassing

So, what do y'all suggest?
    Here's the thing, very humbly IMO. Reckless attack and GWM are awesome. Coupled with PAM... even better.

It really depends on the DM and magic items. Some DMs do not give out magic halberds and glaives and it.

IMO, grab GWM at 4th, max out strength (8 & 12), and then grab whatever.

Reckless attack is the key

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

One thing for the dual wielder feat : It allow you to draw two weapons. Your DM might not be an ass about it, but if he is, fighting with 2 weapons requires being able to draw two weapons in one turn.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Coranhann View Post
    One thing for the dual wielder feat : It allow you to draw two weapons. Your DM might not be an ass about it, but if he is, fighting with 2 weapons requires being able to draw two weapons in one turn.
    Characters run around with shields constantly in hand. Why not do the same with a dagger?
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shinimasu View Post
    One level in fighter for TWF, important for being able to add your rage bonuses to both swings.
    You don't need the TWF style in order to get your Rage bonus to damage with your off-hand strikes. All the style does is allow you to add your Str/Dex bonus to the damage.

I've made a barbarian with twin kukri: re-skinned scimitars.

In the recent Spartacus TV series he fought with two shortswords. I could easily picture him as an unarmoured barbarian.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coranhann View Post
    Meh, activating rage takes a bonus action anyway, so in most fights (ie when ''you'' will be raging, it wont matter if you draw the off hand weapon at round 2). But most of the time, you can be expected to hold at least one of your weapons anyway. I will say though that putting the ability to draw two weapons at once on the feat, rather than on the fighting stlyle, was extremelly silly.
    Hacks!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Here is my advice:

Pick the race of your choice
    Put your Highest score in Str
    Put a 14 in Dex
    Put at least a 14 in Con
    Put you next Highest Score in Wisdom

As a Barbarian you start with Two handaxes. Use them from level one.
    At level three pick that Path of your choice except Berserker, or Battlerager their Bonus Action attacks are useless to you.

At level 4 if you want to dual wield larger weapons that take the Dual Wield feat. I prefer Handaxes because I can throw them in a pinch, so I would personally forgo the feat, but it's pretty thematic, and +1 AC never hurts. Otherwise pick a generally helpful Feat like Lucky or Mobile. Or just increase strength. Repeat this step for all ASIs.

Try and get the best Medium Armor you can, as early as possible.

If you really want to multiclass. 1 level in fighter will get you two-Weapon Fighting style, but I'd go to level 2 for action surge. Because it's really good, and at this point you lost out on the chance of getting the Barbarian capstone anyway.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

When it comes down to TWF, you have to keep in mind you won't do as much damage as a great weapon user. But if you're cool with that, good things will come your way. I'd play that as anon-reckless barbarian, focusing on Dual Wielder and Defensive Duelist to survive longer.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    When it comes down to TWF, you have to keep in mind you won't do as much damage as a great weapon user. But if you're cool with that, good things will come your way. I'd play that as anon-reckless barbarian, focusing on Dual Wielder and Defensive Duelist to survive longer.
    I've found that using Defensive Duelist to help mitigate the extra damage you'll take from Reckless Attack to be a pretty effective combo.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I wish 2wf worked better with berserkers.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    I wish 2wf worked better with berserkers.
    That, and I wish frenzy didn't require a bonus action to get started. I mean, you may as well NOT frenzy and just use two weapons instead (you'd miss out on a little damage without some dipping), or take GWM and/or PAM - each of those options is better than frenzy for the simple fact that you'll be inflicting damage when it matters most: in round 1.

Oh, and you won't get a level of exhaustion. <grumble>stupid design</grumble>