New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Good Octavia Butler book to start with?

I've heard the name a lot, and have a vague idea of what kind of themes present in her books, but I'm really not sure which one to start with. Any suggestions?
    Tales from the Trashcan

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Good Octavia Butler book to start with?

The only book of hers that I have read is Wild Seed, and I found it very good. From looking at its Wikipedia page, though, I see it is part of a series. But nothing in the book hinted that to me, and I don't think I was missing any info from previous books.
    So I recommend it, but note I have none of her other books to compare it to.

EDIT: after reading more of the Wikipedia page, I see Wild Seed is the first novel in the series, although not the first one published.

On second thought, I may have read or started another book of hers, but I forget the details and don't think I liked it as much.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-06-23 at 10:20 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Kindred is very good, and is a good introduction to the author. It does, however, have a Young Adult literature feel to it, and I don't know how you feel about that sort of thing.

If you are looking for something meatier, I would suggest Dawn and the Xenogenesis trilogy. I remember this series made me very uncomfortable but in a good way. My mind could tell that it was being asked to see the world in a new way and reconsider assumptions that it did not even know it was making. I gained a lot from this series.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I really liked Parable of the Sower.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.