New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: High Seas: Here There Be Monsters (IC)

Saekoehela

Ela finally gave into her desire to sleep, and put her foot down with the others. They may be outsiders, but she's a humanoid, and humanoids need their beauty sleep.

The next morning she awakens with a loud yawn, which she quickly stifles; it's been a while since she's been in the company of others, and she's become used to not having to conceal her improprieties. After taking a few minutes to wake up and stretch, she looks around the group with a smile. "Well, it looks like we've officially survived a night together. And I survived my first night in the company of an incubus! Mom would be so proud." She smiles at Mem playfully.

"Now then, we should probably explore the rest of the caves around here. If one of them has a fancy magic circle like this, the others might have something else of value or interest. What do you say?"
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Urdu

Urdu wakes up playfully, and has a sip of water while he quietly asks his mommy to protect his friends and grant him magic for the day that might help him do that for her if she's busy somewhere else.

"I like these caves already. I mean, the circle might just be a boring old shopping thing, but it's also über-powerful megamagic. I'd rather that be used for stuff that's boring than stuff that's dangerous or harmful to people. Who knows, we might get to see even more doggies today!"

He then utters a shorter prayer as he lets his magic permeate the place, alleviating stress and making everyone around a tiny bit healthier.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Casting Elation on the party once more

"There. Now my spell is ready to work again."

He then looks panicked, and then gives many glances around.

"Oh no! Oh no! Oh no no nonononono! I did it again! I totally did! I'M SO SORRY!!! I promise I won't do it again! I'm sorry I used magic on you yesterday - and today - without asking! Please forgive me! I promise it isn't anything bad or not, it's just a small spell that lets us all walk a bit faster and longer, I swear!"
    Last edited by Xgya; 2017-08-17 at 12:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Captain Jarred

After having an unusually good night's rest (with Mick perched on his shoulder, as always, occasionally seeming to snore unlike a bird), the captain felt invigorated. "I say, this island doesn't seem all that inhospitable, does it ? Scout anther couple of places as useful as this here cave and we'll be swimming in silver. Though, it kinda bugs me. Why was this place abandoned in the first place ? "

Spoiler
    Show
    Will prepare detect poison as my sole arcane spell for the day
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

4. - Top - End - #94

Memories of Infinite Moonlight

"Oh, you did more than just survive the night with an incubus."
    The succubi says suggestively. "What? You don't remember? I'm better than I thought." He feigns shock.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I wish Mem was better at lying.

Rolling to fool our poor guide, because I'm a terrible naughty demon from the Abyss...

Bluff
    (1d20+10)[22]
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2017-08-21 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Text Color
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Saekoehela

The raptoran gives Mem a shrewd smile. "Really, now? From my perspective, it must have been a truly unremarkable performance if I can't recall a thing. You'll just have to try harder in the future, I suppose."

She then leads the way out of the cave, not giving Mem a proper chance to respond. Ela keeps an eye out for the wolves, hornets, and other beasts that live in the area.

LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #96

Mem chuckles to himself, completely amused. Mortals, so funny. He gathers up his things, gestures for Urdu to follow, and then leaves the cave.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Dr. Boots

Boots contently has a nap! Unlike most cats, he does not wake up at 3am to go caroming around the vicinity at top speed.

Then, in the morning, it is time to stalk some bugs and/or mice in the cave for breakfast!

And then, time to venture outside with the others, for the hunting of Secrets and Interesting Things!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

The morning has come, talking has begun, and then there is the sound...

It must be from far, far away, because some of the birds and other creatures do not react to it. But even the most hard of hearing would have taken notice of it, and know it to be something dangerous.

It sounds like grinding, breaking, some kind of wheeze, something like falling rocks, splintering wood, but also like a person blowing bubbles in water. It's faint, but definitive... and after ten seconds or so, it is gone.

It came from the mountains to the west and slightly north.

Saekoehela has heard this before. It does not have a pattern to it, but wherever she has heard it, it always seems far away. Yet, never off the continent, always upon it.

If they head towards the mountains, they could get to the foothills at a day's walk. Assuming nothing stopped them.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Saekoehela

Saekoehela raises her head as she hears the strange sound, her eyes narrowing and her hand unconsciously drifting to the shaft of her polearm. "We should be wary of that. I've heard the sound before; I personally suspect it to be some kind of beast or monster. I think we should stick to investigating and clearing out these caves for now."

Spoiler
    Show
    You offer bait, and I choose to avoid the bait. Forgive me!

LGBTitP

10. - Top - End - #100

Urdu

Urdu yawns a long while and he stretches a bit. It's only been a few minutes since he woke up and yet his body feels like it's been months!

"I already said I liked these caves! Full of nice surprises and adventure!

For all we know, the gurgling earth sound might be something cool too! Like hot springs, with geysers and all that!

Still, it MIGHT also be a nasty old monster."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Dr. Boots

Boots cleans his face as he ponders the Noise. If it is a beast or monster, they would probably do well to take care of it before it comes for them in the night. But he lets the rest of the party hash out their reactions before suggesting anything to Mem.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Knowledge in case Boots has heard, or heard of, anything like this before. +4 is the bonus for every Knowledge except (psionics), pick whichever is most relevant. Add an additional 5 if it's Knowledge(psionics): (1d20+4)[18]

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Dr. Boots thinks on this, as his furry little mind goes through things he has heard, read, or licked. Something tingles just at the edge of thought.. but passes by. Whatever it was, it was organic, but the other parts... he just can't be sure. Perhaps, if he heard it again, or more loudly...

Caves abound for them to go through.. they just need to decide if they are going up, around.. or away... for the moment, nothing bothers them...

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Settled, mostly, on exploring the caves, the morning and early afternoon was spent poking about at the various openings. Most were shallow, and had little to offer other than shelter. Some had tunnels, but they ended abruptly. Not all caves are dark and deep and burrow within the earth.

After breaking for lunch, and with a mostly fruitless endeavor, they stumbled upon an archway.. too hewn to be naturally made.

Something sticky and brown drips from the archway, and.. the air seems to flow towards the opening.

14. - Top - End - #104

Urdu

Urdu claps his hands as he sees the archway.

"Oooh! Lookit this thing! This isn't one of those crummy normal caves here! I wonder if there's anything interesting in there!

All the other caves had nothing interesting in them and no doggies AT ALL!

Still, why is it dripping like that?"

Spoiler: Skill Checks
    Show

Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+6)[20]
    Bardic Knowledge: (1d20+1)[18]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Saekoehela

Ela is excited to find something out of the ordinary, but she's not a fan of the dripping goo. "That looks like a nightmare to wash out of feathers. Does anyone recognize it?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+3)[18]

LGBTitP

16. - Top - End - #106

Kobold

Captain Jarred d'Armani

"Whale, Whale ! Thar she blows !" "Settle down there, Micky. We have more important things to worry about than whaling. If that was a whale." Jarred is not convinced himself that that. Maybe a landwhale ? In any case, he follows the group, hand crossbow in hand.

"We should be careful not to suck us in. Whatever it is."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Nature: (1d20+4)[21] +5 if it's a creature

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

The slime, they are able to reason out, is alive... It's actually a mold smile creature. They can't be confident it is not aware of them, or waiting for them.

It's covered in fungi, mildew, toadstools, and a few carcasses of birds, and small rodents.

Deeper within, there appears to be more webbing, but also something wrapped up within it. Some kind of object.

Urdu is able to reason out this must be some kind of temple perhaps built before The Subsidence.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Code:
    x...www........x
    x..............x
    .x.ss.......ssx.
    ...xss....ssx...
    x is walls
    w is webbing

18. - Top - End - #108

Mem's face twists in disgust at the brown goo. "This is..." he makes an inarticulate gesture. "Gross?"

"I suggest we toss a torch at the webs and let the goo bake off." He suggests, not having a whole lot of constructive advice for this situation. "Yes?"

19. - Top - End - #109

Urdu

"I'd throw a torch, but I my light sources don't burn anything... Though if there's something hiding out there, this might help!"

Urdu grabs a neighboring rock, and it starts glowing with cold blue flames. He gives a wink. "I can make these in all the colors of the rainbow! I like blue the bestest though." He then proceeds to throw the rock further down the path, through the webs (or sticking to webs as he tries to throw it through).

Spoiler
    Show

This is Continual Flame.

Just making sure this isn't actually brown mold? I know Urdu got enough Knowledge to identify it as such earlier... Burning those is a big no-no.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

It's a slime mold, brown in texture and color. Not smile, but a big cave smile would be scary! Especially with goo and mushrooms.

The glowing rock lands within the cave.. and there exposes a Spider. A Giant Spider.. it makes a sound and scurries across the ceiling heading towards them, leaving the chest tangled in the webs alone. As well as several humanoid corpses.

Combat.. giant spider is rushing towards them.

Show
    Code:
    x.............w.....x
    x....w..S.w.......x
    x..w...............x
    x...www........x
    x..............x
    .x.ss.......ssx.
    ...xss....ssx...
    .....MUCK.....
    ........D.......
    x is walls
    w is webbing
    S spider

M - Mem
    D - Doctor Boots
    U - Urdu
    C - Cappy
    K - Saek

21. - Top - End - #111

Urdu

Urdu makes a disgusted face as he sees the spider.

"Ugh. Spiders. I hate those, you can't pet them, you can't even HAVE one as a pet, they're disgusting and they bite people! For real! Not like a doggie,that bites when it wants to play!"

Saying this, he readies his sword against the approaching enemy.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Ready action, when the spider comes within range, hit it with his scimitar.

Attack: (1d20+6)[17]
    Spoiler: Fumbled Damage
    Show
    Damage: (1d20+4)[17]

Actual Damage: 9

Spoiler: Not a crit
    Show
    Crit(18-20)
    Attack: (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: (1d20+4)[16]
    Last edited by Xgya; 2017-11-21 at 07:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

"That is disgusting." He grimaces and looks around. "I'm not the only one who thinks that right?"

Spoiler: Battle Actions
    Show

Actions
    Holding attack until enemy is close enough.

Standard Attack (Melee)
    Attack One (Claw)
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage
    (1d3+4)[5] (Slashing)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage
    (1d3+4)[5] (Slashing)

Attack Two (Claw)
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[20]
    Damage
    (1d3+4)[5] (Slashing)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage
    (1d3+4)[7] (Slashing)

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Saekoehela

Ela isn't content to just let the spider come to them; she'd usually close the distance with a creature like that, but she's not eager to be the first one in the cave. She moves her ranseur to her off hand, draws her shortspear from its sheath on her back, and hurls it at the spider.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ranged attack: (1d20+4)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[9]

LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Dr. Boots

Boots ponders Urdu's words. He "mrrrt"s in vague disagreement. Spiders are sometimes fuzzy, and all fuzzy things are adorable. So thinks Boots, the reigning expert on both all things fuzzy and all things adorable.

Oh, but this one appears hostile. And big. And angry and/or hungry. So he waits a moment, and if the spider is not dead to everybody else's weapons, then there is a bass-pitched hum and a blue lazor of coldness shoots from Boots's eyes towards the spider.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Delay until after the spider and the rest of the party, in case they kill it and he needn't waste power points.

If everyone has acted and the spider is not dead, then Standard: manifest energy ray: cold, augmented by 1 point (to 2 total pp used).

Ranged Attack vs Touch AC: (1d20+6)[18]
    Cold damage (2d6+2)[9]
    Last edited by Malimar; 2017-11-21 at 06:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

The Spider

It dodges spear, lands, and then is sliced.. once.. twice... three times... it didn't even get a chance to spread some of its lovely poison around.

There is not a need for a laser kitty this time, as the duo of slashing slashers has taken it down.

All is silent for a moment... and in the quiet, they see dozens of eyes looking back at them, descending from webbing from the ceiling.

It seems that was just one.. of so many more.... that start dropping and scuttling upon hairy legs.

Show
    Code:
    x.............w.....x
    x....w..S.w.......x
    x..w...............x
    x...www..S.....x
    x....S....S.....x
    .x.ffS......ffx.
    ...xff....ffx...
    ........i.......
    .....MUCK.....
    ........D.......
    x is walls
    w is webbing
    f is fungi
    S is spider
    i is corpse of spider

M - Mem
    D - Doctor Boots
    U - Urdu
    C - Cappy
    K - Saek

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Dr. Boots

Boots slowly blinks his eyes at MOAR SPIDARS. He ponders greasing up the ground to make some of them fall down, but they're not yet clustered enough for that. Instead, cold lazor eyeballs! For real this time.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    If necessary, ready action for the first spider to get within 30', otherwise just target one, preferring the nearest one within range that isn't in melee with anybody and hasn't already been hit by anybody:

Standard: manifest energy ray: cold, augmented by 2 points (to 3 total pp used).

Ranged Attack vs Touch AC: (1d20+6)[21]
    Cold damage (3d6+3)[13]

27. - Top - End - #117

Kobold

Captain Jarred d'Armani

"Dunno about you lot, but I'm bugged out by this turn of events." Drawing both his scimitar and his short sword, he adopts a ready stance. "I was prepared to look for poisons today, but this is more than I've bargained for.

Spoiler
    Show
    Draw scimitar as a move action, the short sword as a free action from +1 bab as part of that move action.

Standard action to Scimitar a spider that comes into melee and 5ft step back.

28. - Top - End - #118

Urdu Sapphire

Urdu watches in horror as more spider monsters climb down to see what happened.

"That doesn't sound like one of the good caves with shopping magic and doggies..."

Still, he readies his blade again, waiting patiently to do some well-needed housekeeping on those caves.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Ready action, waiting for a spider to get within melee range

Attack:
    (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[6]
    Crit (18-20): (1d20+6)[15]
    Damage: (1d6+4)[7]

29. - Top - End - #119

"I agree with 'Cap. This is more than we've bargained for. Hold fast, friends." He braces himself, claws at the ready!

Spoiler: Battle Actions
    Show

Actions
    Hold action till spider is near, then attack it.

Standard Attack (Melee)
    Attack One (Claw)
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage
    (1d3+4)[5] (Slashing)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage
    (1d3+4)[6] (Slashing)

Attack Two (Claw)
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[7]
    Damage
    (1d3+4)[5] (Slashing)

Critical Confirm (-/x2)
    Attack
    (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage
    (1d3+4)[5] (Slashing)

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

PirateWench

Dr. Boots fires upon a spider and it begins to freeze, attempts a scurry, and shatters in to several large pieces, quite dead.

Captain Jarred holds until a spider moves upon the group and is able to destroy a spider with his blades. Goo flies and a carcass settles before him.

Urdu and the spider that advances upon him parry each other. Blades and fangs tempt each other, but neither succeed.

Memories goes for two swipes and both catch air, the spider bonks him, but can't get past his defenses.

Saek goes defensive, protecting the dear Dr. Boots for the moment.

The spiders

Show
    Code:
    x.............w.....x
    x....w..i.w.......x
    x..w...............x
    x...www........x
    x...............x
    .x.ff.......ffx.
    ...xff....ffx...
    .....SSiiS....
    .....MUCK.....
    ........D.......
    x is walls
    w is webbing
    f is fungi
    S is spider
    i is corpse of spider

M - Mem
    D - Doctor Boots
    U - Urdu
    C - Cappy
    K - Saek
    Last edited by repairmanjack; 2017-11-27 at 08:05 PM.