New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: 3SC's Ironfang Invasion IC

Narek Skyskin

Letting the strange girl talk was perhaps not the best plan, but Narek wasn't particularly social either. With a sigh, he spoke briskly.

"I didn't confuse you for anfey - but they have been known to disguise themselves ... as you should know if you are hunting them. " His eyes narrowed slightly, but he continued speaking as he lowered the wand. "As for details about the Legion's devastation of our town yesterday, perhaps you can forgive a reluctance to relive the events quite yet. Suffice to say the town was attacked, overrun and set to the torch. We are all that remains."

Narek stared for a moment, then put away the wand. "You're welcome to stay, but we can't guarantee you're safer with us than on your own. If you join us, then we welcome any help you or your otherworldly companion can provide.". With a sigh, he moved to check the group's supplies ...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Grabbing alchemical supplies...
    Status
    AC: 16 HP: 11 Init +9 Move 30'
    F +0 R +2 W +5
    Weapon: Hvy crossbow w/18 bolts (10 MW)
    Spells: prestidigitation, detect magic, message, acid splash; mage armor, obscuring mist, endure elements, heightened awareness
    Prescience: 7/7; wand of magic missile (2); wand of grease (5); wand of prestidigitation (25); wand of cause fear (12)
    Effect: none
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen led the way into the Fangwood, ever deeper- ever further from the devastation that used to be home to many of their number. His tread leaves little trace, as he keeps his feet on the harder, better packed material- occasionally eschewing soil and grass for treading directly atop surface roots and stones. Still urgency and need are bitter drivers, and the group kept up with a fairly grueling pace.

The moon has almost reached its peak when Aubrin calls a hushed 'the people need rest!' Another cleric echoes the sentiment and Gilraen stops to look around. Several of the villagers are barely keeping their feet. Not a single one among them looks particularly hearty. The Elf shrugs. He points to the side. "Lighter shadows there. Perhaps we can rest in the clearing?" It only takes hushed whispers for a few of the more beleaguered villagers to begin rolling out bedrolls, so before long the halt is decided, though it was never called.

Gilraen, for one, rests fairly easily- more at home amidst the trunks and canopy of the Fangwood than the nicest inn.

"Of course they will be safer with us," he interrupts. "The Fangwood has no favorites, and plays no gentler with pairs than troupes." Gilraen approaches, his face an unreadable mess of disjunct focus. His eyes continue to scan the woods around them, even as he speaks to the newcomers.

"Phaendar has fallen." He nods in agreement with Narek's brief description. "Perhaps a few other survived, though they are likely not free to speak of it."

For a moment, the Elf's focus turns to the newcomers proper. He makes no effort whatsoever to hide his blatant appraisal of their stances and belongings. "You are not Hobgoblins, and are able combatants. You don't seem keen to fight us, and in the Fangwood that makes you a friend. If it is company you seek, I am content to have you."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena nods, but remains silent, frowning slightly as Narek speaks. As the man turns away, she looks to the others within earshot, waiting for Gilraen to finish before she says anything. "If it were regarding the events of the just-passed night, it would be a possibility, for me, to provide more details. If they're, wanted. By you."
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ilsa & Ramiel
    Level 2 Unchained Summoner and Azata Eidolon
    HP 15/15, 13/13 | AC: 16, 16| Attack: +3, +5 | Status: --

<Looks like our assumptions were correct.>

<And they've gone ahead and invited us.>

<It would be rude to refuse.>

<Indeed.>

Ilsa and Ramiel stepped forward, each extending a hand. "I have no love for anyone who would burn the homes of innocent people to the ground, much less kill or enslave them. And even if Ramiel and I weren't that sort of people, well, going it alone in the Fangwood is nothing short of suicide."

"As long as you are all fighting against those who would force such things on you, you will have our services."

Once those present had either taken Ilsa and Ramiel up on their offer of a handshake or refused it, Ilsa turned to Eyena.

"I would definitely like that at some point, assuming it isn't too much to ask. I understand that this has been rough on you all." She turned back to the group as a whole. "As for what I can do to help, I'm not much of a guide or a tracker, but I have a knack for magic. I'm a summoner, to be precise. Ramiel is actually my eidolon - he's an azata."

Ramiel gave a slight bow. "My bow is yours, for as long as you need it."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-09-02 at 04:01 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena nods and, after a moment of staring at Ilsa's outstretched hand, snaps to a straight posture, bows, and, if Ilsa lets her, brings her hand up to her lips briefly, the gesture done swiftly but without an air of haste or panic. A moment later, she nods again, shifting aimlessly for a few moments before simply beginning to speak, recounting the events of the previous day starting when the hobgoblins made their appearance. It quickly becomes clear that her retelling has an unusual focus, with many things being glossed over while the individual movements, strikes, counterattacks, and so forth of every combat are given much more attention. Throughout the entire thing, Eyena's speech generally remains somewhat stilted and awkward; during the more technical descriptions, she uses Elven words. In a few cases, she speaks in Common so riddled with literal translations or Elven words that it would be impossible to understand her without speaking both well.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Ilsa and Ramiel's arrival seems to have woken up the mostly sleepy camp, and until the summoner makes her good intentions known, you see both Jet and Kining watching her warily from the other side of the clearing. It's her desire to help that seems to soften most of the attitudes, and a few of the Phaendar residents step forward to shake her hand as a gesture of solidarity. Rhyna is first, giving the half-elf a bright smile. "Glad to have you aboard! I'm truly sorry to hear that you were lost, but anyone who's willing to help out the people of Phaendar is good in my book." More follow behind the temple's keeper, including the Felloak brothers Jodis and Rasmussen, Gelis, and Jet. A few abstain from the greeting, most notably Kining. The dwarf watches the process, eyes unreadable.

When Eyena launches into her retelling of the various battles of Phaendar, it immediately causes a reaction among the townsfolk. Aubrin can't help but look away, and a few others do their best to keep busy around the site - repacking backpacks or treating the little sores and bruises of those less accustomed to the wilds - but there are some who listen raptly to the woman start to speak. There are quite a few confusing moments in the telling, and you get the sense that for maybe one in three people fully understand what the spellsword is trying to say. "Let's save the epic for later, eh?", Kining interrupts before Eyena is fully finished. "Right now, we've gotta figure out where the f*ck to go next. Anyone got any bright ideas? Because I got no clue, beyond 'find a dry cave to hole up in'."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:02 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

He forwent saying anything. The others seemed to have it under control and he wasn't much for talking at the best of times. So instead he just held a level gaze at the two newcomers before offering a firm handshake to both. Always good to have more magery and arrows pointed at the enemy. He returned back to the base of the tree he'd been sleeping at and spat on a rock before dragging it up along the left side of the blade. Once. Twice. Ten times in all. He did the same to the right side before turning the big sword.

Eneya's story saved him the trouble of naming himself. He tried to make out what she was saying best he could but it was difficult. He'd had enough of a hard time learning common when he'd crossed over from Belkzan. Her other language, was odd. Elven maybe? Who knew. He re-wetted the rock before going back over the first side of the sword. Running a thumb along it drew a few rivulets of blood that plopped onto the ground. It was softer than the wastes of home. Bloody enough though.

Kining's sarcasm drew a glare from the big man but he said nothing. Instead he methodically lowered a hand to the earth and tore up a clump of it. Rask smeared it over the edges of the metal. It was a dirty thing to do but dirty blades had a tendency to leave dirty wounds. He'd seen others dip their weapons in latrines way back, when he was a younger man. But it hadn't quite gotten to that point yet for the big man. Might be that it'd kill someone who got away, leave whatever nastiness the earth had in them. Probably not though. That done, Rask stood up to his full height, swung the backpack over his shoulder and made his way over to the others so as to hear what they had to say about Kining's words.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-09-02 at 08:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308

Ilsa & Ramiel
    HP 15/15, 13/13 | AC: 16, 16| Attack: +3, +5 | Status: --

Ilsa smiled as she shook Rask and the townsfolk, replying to Rhyna with a sincere "Glad to help. And being lost isn't all that bad; at least I didn't run into any monsters afterward."

Then, Ilsa and Ramiel's faces grew more and more concerned as Eyena spun the tale of what had happened the previous night. Lesser women and men would have trembled; thankfully, drawing upon the resolve that had been driven into her since birth (a prerequisite of a nation that gets regularly invaded by orcs), this was the worst of her reaction. As Kining interrupted, the summoner frowned briefly, but then thought.

"All things considered, finding shelter should be our first task, along with the necessities such as water and food. A cave is a fairly good idea. Defensible, sheltered, warm in winter, cool in summer. I'm not going to be of much help there, though... I'm not Local, so I don't know the area very well." She looked around. "I don't suppose anyone present knows their Geography, do they?"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    It seems to me like there are a few rolls that might turn up knowledge of a good place to strike camp - Survival, Knowledge (Local), or Knowledge (Geography).

I am trained in none of these.

On the off chance that a DC 10 check reveals anything, I will attempt to do Local and Geography untrained.

Local: (1d20)[4]
    Geography: (1d20)[8]

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena doesn't seem to notice the reactions of other survivors to her descriptions - until, that is, Kining speaks to her. She stares at the dwarf for a moment and swiftly nods. "A-apologies. I ask for forgiveness, em," she stutters, then falls silent as the dwarf continues. After a few more moments, she looks back up. "Would it be within the area of the possible to, working from the basis of this current camp, make, ah, more? To, to stay here? Or would...would this be too close, to...mm, to there? Because, attacks?"

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

As the others gathered, seemingly planning their next move, Narek walked over to listen. As the new girl spoke, it was clear she had little knowledge or understanding- she was simply brainstorming. As it was, Narek had a bit of both education and semi-practical knowledge as well; one didn't live hear and not pick up a thing or two.

"This was just a stopping point for people - we were too exhausted to go on. We need to find a better place to stay for an extended period of time, yes. But we also need to gather enough food for all these people...and water, and clothing, and shelter. This region is not known for its hospitality, right Gilraen? "

Pausing, he closed his eyes for a moment, picturing (remembering?) horrible winters that left bodies blackened by frostbite and frozen corpses littering the trails. Opening his eyes, he stared off into the forest while he spoke. "The people of this land have seen pain and destruction before; and they have ensured by living off the land befor. We shall do so again.

However, this is not simply building another settlement; we do not know why the Legion attacked, or what their purpose ... their true purpose was. Until that is known, we live in danger, we live at risk. We live in fear."

Narek turned to look at the assembled group for a moment, then pulled out a notebook. "Kining hit on something important, in her own asinine way. We need a plan, and we need to organized. Let's get a tally of our assets and liabilities - both human capitol and physical resources. We need to find out what this group can do - what are our talents and skills? What equipment and weapons did we scavenge from town? How much food and water do we have, and how much do we need?

I'll start that process - perhaps our newest survivor can assist. Gilraen, you seem to know the woods - can you get Aubrin and Rhyna to help start a map and highlight some potential places we can go? Rask and Eyena, you both seem materially proficient - perhaps you can check on who's got skills, who's armed ... and go should be? Kining, can you organize folks in packing up our gear and inventorying our supplies?

If we are going to survive, we need to get working."

Show
    Figure we need to officially document what we've got and what we need. Narek is being a little body, but that's cuz we're still in the forming stages. He'd prefer to be the advisor type!

Let me know what skill checks might come in handy!
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +5
    Spells: prestidigitation, detect magic, message, acid splash; mage armor, obscuring mist, endure elements, heightened awareness
    Prescience: 7/7; wand of magic missile (2); wand of grease (5); wand of prestidigitation (25); wand of cause fear (12)

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't take more than a brief scan of the clearing to recognize a large number of mouths and a small number of rations. "Unless your cave can feed us, we need more than shelter." Gilraen shakes his head at Kining's suggestion. "I know a bit about how to get by, but I've never been responsible for more than myself. I could... perhaps find food for a few more, but we need to find someplace with plentiful game, and we need some place to plant crops...." He looks up to the sky with a frown. "Perhaps a few weeks ago," he finishes with a scowl.

Gilraen looks around; several of the leaders of their band have gathered, the discussion one of import. "We may have survived last night, but we are by no means out of danger... It's not much, but there's a small settlement to the north, Gristledown. No doubt this many people will be a strain on their supplies, but we're not in a position to be picky."

He takes a few minutes to get his bearings before indicating towards the north. "We should forage and hunt for as much as we can. They won't have sufficient stores for so many."

Show
    (1d20+3)[19] know Geography, in case it's useful....

Edited to reflect the above.

12. - Top - End - #312

Ilsa & Ramiel
    HP 15/15, 13/13 | AC: 16, 16| Attack: +4, +5 | Status: --

Ilsa and Ramiel listened attentively as Narek took charge, and nodded as he volunteered her to help him catalogue the band's equipment and supplies. She then considered his words as to a plan of action, and Gilraen's as to a plan of where to go.

"This Gristledown seems as good a place as any. We can't find out why the Ironfang is doing this without a proper base of operations, so, yeah. Find permanent base camp first, then start probing these guys."

Once everyone was done, she then followed Narek to help catalogue and organize the supplies; as they did so, she helped herself to a particularly well-made crossbow that had been found the night previous, as well as some alchemical items.

"I'm an okay shot with a crossbow, but the real deal is these babies."
    She held up the alchemist's fire and tanglefoot bag. "Holding a guy in place or setting him on fire, I think, can be a lot more helpful than an errant crossbow bolt."

Show
    Ilsa will help Narek with cataloguing and organizing the provisions IC, and take the alchemical items I've marked off on her loot tracker in the meantime. She will also try to help craft shelter she can as the camp makes its way north - as per the OOC thread, she rolled a 13 on Survival, meaning she succeeds.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-09-04 at 02:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Aubrin nods at Narek's suggestion to organize your supplies. "That's a good idea - we should probably make sure we have enough to keep everyone fed. Anyone want to volunteer to help Eyena and Rask for that job?" Jet raises her hand, and with a determined look moves over to the group of packs to oversee making a list and repacking them more efficiently. Across the clearing, Shara meets Narek's eyes, giving the mage a brief smiling nod. But the nod fades after a few seconds, and she goes to help the former innkeeper with her task.

"I... that is, we've been to Gristledown before. In fact, Cli and I traded for a few of their supplies on our way to your Market Festival." A few people stand aside to let Farrow take the floor. The trader from Tamran looks around, not sure about continuing until he gets a nod from a few others around the circle. "It's not much of a settlement - I doubt those hobgoblins even know they exist. The people there don't have many supplies. It shouldn't be hard to convince them to pack up what's left and come with us. Safety in numbers, and all that." The implication that Farrow leaves unsaid of the continued threat of the Legion is not missed by many.

With most of the camp getting into motion, Aubrin and Kining are the ones to confer near the trees to the north, beckoning Gilraen over. "Too bad we didn't snag a map from town, but I've always learned to carry a bit of spare parchment on me." Pulling out the paper, the dwarf's steady hands start to sketch an outline of the Chernasardo region of the forest, starting with the shape of the Marideth and the edges of the plains and working in. It's rough going, and without much detail, but it'll serve. "Now," she says to the elf with a stare, "show me here where Gristledown ought to be."

Show

I've got a working map up finally! I've inked out all of the hexes so that you can explore them as needed. I'll post updated versions when you clear hexes, but for now this will go in the OOC thread. Each hex takes roughly a day's journey overland on foot to cover. Gristledown is located in the northernmost hex on the leftmost column, three north of you (hence three days). It'll probably be a longer trip, since foraging for food takes a day in and of itself, so you guys might be better off trying to get your provisions situated sorted first.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:03 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen smiles. Despite her course demeanor, he finds Kining's blunt-ness particularly refreshing after several days in the (too-soft) fineries of the inn- the erstwhile inn, I suppose, he wonders. He points to an area in the north-west corner of her slightly-misshapen representation of the Fangwood. "Here, though I must stress that this is no permanent safe haven. We may be doing them a favor, if the Ironfangs choose to dare the Fangwood, themselves. Still, it will do us all no good to die halfway there. We need shelter, and we need it now." After a few minutes, Kining has organized the packs, and more than a few refugees shoulder a burden slightly lighter for the effort. Without excessive preamble, Gilraen begins stalking out of camp to forage for as much food as he can..

The day passes with mixed results. For all his efforts, Gilraen proves much too distracted to procure meaningful game or berries. His focus is simply too divided to accomplish everything he wishes. However, around midday, he stumbles across a fairly good-sized sheep. Immediately, he pulls to a halt and gestures to one of the townspeople who had chosen to follow him, ostensibly to learn a thing or two. One of the farmers, if he recalls correctly. With hushed tones, he points. "See there? She could be a lifesaver, if you can wrangle her." Without a word, the man nods, and proceeds to attempt the task. For a few moments, Gilraen watches, holding back so as to give the man as good a chance as possible of recovering the frightened animal.

Show
    I see no reason to neglect the potential for recurring provision points. Unless someone speaks up with objection, I propose about the NPCs work on building shelters, and half attempt to recover as much livestock as possible. The only other things I see as being immediately valuable and/or urgent would be to have one or two dedicated scouts. I assume that's not us, today, since most of us have already rolled for foraging.

To that end, we're moving as due north as possible, and the NPCs are working as above mentioned. Are stealth/perception checks in order, or do you want to roll them, 3SC?

Edited as per the hangouts discussion. Oddly enough, it was a different part of the post that needed editing than I thought.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

At some point during the day, which for Eyena is spent mostly with almost-effective foraging, she approaches Kining, ideally when no one else is within earshot. "I hope your afternoon had been pleasant up to this point, Kining," she says, with a nod. "I, would have a question, for you. Would you, that is, would you like to use my bed? Tonight, not now, that is."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

"Eh, what's that?" Kining looks up from where she's been working on sharpening a dull blade for one of the camp's fighters. The smith's hands are greasy from where they've been doused in oil, and red where she's pressed on the whetstone. She narrows her eyes, clearly irritated at being interrupted in the middle of a task. "You talk weird, you know that? And why would you give up a perfectly good tent? What do you want in exchange? Or are you just trying to scam me, is that it? The tent's broken or something, gotta be."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena nods, frowning and seeming to shrink a bit at Kining's response. "Ah, well, it was because I, well, you could, use it. More. I have, a spell. So, I won't. Need it."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Kining pauses for a second, before nodding her head a fraction in Eyena's direction. "You're still - fine, fine, I'll take your tent. I guess it'll do to store some stuff when we set up camp. But you owe me one! Getting me to take a junk tent..." She goes back to her task before long, body language clearly asking to be left alone so that she can get some progress done on whatever it is she's doing.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-04 at 03:11 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena nods, then pauses, her brow furrowing for a moment before she simply turns and goes back to what she'd been doing before. Which wasn't working that well, actually.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

The mage gazed across the milling refugees, restless with both weariness and worry. He looked at the would-be heroes, his mind racing as he calculated the odds. Without some good fortune, he estimated losing five people before they reached the outpost; perhaps another two or three afterwards. They needed a plan. Pulling out his journal, Narek gathered the local 'leaders' for a discussion.

"Ideally we would press on to Gristledown, to put as much distance between ourselves and the Legion as possible. However, given the time of year and current environmental conditions, I do not think a forced march would be conducive to maximum survival. Instead, we need to lay out a plan to keep the people self from the elements and gather food for the days ahead.

As far as I can ascertain, we have approximately seven spells to assist with avoiding complications overnight, and one shelter; we need gear for sixteen more, in addition to more provisions. Foraging is a mediocre initial solution - however, gathering any of the scatters livestock will pay dividends later. Those familiar with animals will search for livestock; those familiar with the outdoors will work on building shelters. Those remaining can eithe aid the others or search for food.

What say you all?"

Show
    Figure we need to officially document what we've got and what we need. Narek is being a little body, but that's cuz we're still in the forming stages. He'd prefer to be the advisor type!

Let me know what skill checks might come in handy!
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +5

21. - Top - End - #321

Ilsa & Ramiel

Listening to Narek's new plan, Ilsa and Ramiel found themselves nodding along.

"That seems as good a course of action as any. That's got my vote."

"Indeed. It is little use for us to put distance between us and the Ironfang if we starve and freeze to death in the process."

Show
    Now that Narek has formally declared our updated strategy, I am also officially switching over Ilsa's earlier Survival roll to making shelter. She got a 13, which I believe is a success.

Also, I am going to have Ramiel help out as well. He's not trained, but he is still another set of hands.

Survival (making tents): (1d20)[16]

Ergo, between the two of them, Ilsa and Ramiel create 4 shelters.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-09-04 at 09:34 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask planted his sword in the ground and set about snapping off branches that were sturdy enough for shelter, but light enough to carry about. Easy enough to make a lean-to or three with stuff like that.

Show

Got a 16 on the survival check, meaning a total of 3 shelters

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Aubrin and a few of the others confer with Narek at the wizard's suggestion, and the cleric takes up his point about the division of labor. "Once again, you're right - we have enough food to last us a few days without worrying about starvation, so building shelters should be our number one priority. You're right about the Ironfang forces following us over the river, but it could be a few days before they've consolidated their numbers and built a temporary bridge to cross the Marideth. I think we've given ourselves enough breathing room for at least a day here. I'll help with splitting up the villagers." Kining just gives a grunt and Jet nods, but Rhyna is eager to speak up after the Caileanite ranger. "Our magic won't actually build safe spaces, but we can spare a few people from the cold and the damp. Once we've built enough, the other acolytes and I can prepare other useful spells!"

With a course of action now decided on, the people formerly of Phaendar get to work. It's slow going, splitting up into teams and heading into the surrounding woods to collect materials for lean-tos and wooden huts. Most of the townsfolk are committed to the actual gathering of raw materials, while the more trained craftspeople - the two woodsmen brothers Jodis and Erick, for instance - get to work whittling away at logs and helping turn cloaks into fabric for wind-breaking barriers. Several members of your group prove instrumental to the endeavor, most notably Rask and the azata Ramiel, who put their muscular frames to good use building several shelters by themselves. Some, like Eyena and Gilraen, are of less immediate use, although the elf manages to seek out a few livestock for herdsmen to corral. By the end of the day, the camp has been transformed into something that looks a little more like a community, with over a dozen wooden huts and a small animal pen where four goats bray softly.

Evening. The survivors have put together a small fire pit in the middle of the clearing; not big enough to attract attention, especially with some herbs and local barks that Aubrin found to reduce the smoke produced by the flames, but certainly warm enough for a few people to huddle around. One of the storytellers from the Taproot, a man by the name of Coryn, pulls out his flute and starts to play a small tune, which eventually turns into a campfire hymn. It's solemn and largely wordless, but speaks to a more peaceful time. Shara leads the chorus, her voice carrying across the glade with a pitch of resolved compassion. Aubrin watches from the sidelines with a slightly wistful smile, looking over to Gilraen. "You know, I used to be like you. I wanted to join the Rangers when I was younger, before my... my accident. It's horrible, what happened to these people, but this reminds me a bit of what could have been, if my life had just turned out a little differently. I've actually been wondering if we should try and contact them, once we're settled. The forest is a dangerous place, and they might be able to help - "

A sudden cracking and a few rustles from the south-west give Aubrin pause, and the half-blind woman strains to look into the darkness beyond the edges of the encampment. "What was that?"

Spoiler: Day 1 OOC
    Show
    The summary for Day 1 is as follows: your group has successfully built enough shelters and cast enough spells to account for the 26 individuals that make up your band. In fact, you have 1 extra tent. The remainder of the villagers trained in Handle Animal have also gone and gotten you 4 herd animals, which won't offer up any Provision Points right away but will are a start to a more sustainable investment. Over the course of the day, your group will have eaten 21 Provision Points out of your 54 (I'm not counting you guys, you're welcome to eat your own trail rations if you have them or use a PP to not go hungry), leaving you with 33 remaining.

Now, onto our first proper Event! Anyone who beats the Perception check outlined below can describe what they see to the others, or go and engage in order to get things started. If you have any form of low-light vision or darkvision, the DC is only 16 compared to the 20 for normal 'human' senses.

Spoiler: Perception DC 20
    Show
    It's hard to get an exact impression through the trees, but there is a figure about 30 ft away from the camp, a bedraggled looking man in dirty, travel-stained clothing. He appears to be heading in roughly your direction at a quick pace, but is carrying no weapons that you can see and doesn't even seem to be looking where he's going.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:04 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena, formerly content to sit near the side silently, rises as the noise comes from the edge of the clearing, hand on Eisenherz but not drawing it yet as she looks out into the trees. Without saying more, she points, further localizing the sound but not able to see whatever made it.

Show
    So, if this is actually doable, Aiding Another with Perception: (1d20-1)[18] gogo 45% chance
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2017-09-05 at 02:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask more or less sat alone, though he didn't turn anyone away if they approached. He'd no voice for singing so he sat quietly, munching away on some of his trail rations. They tasted bitter and too much like the homeland for his liking but better him than someone else unused to them. Most orcs were not good at making food. But they were good at taking its whether it be from others or into their stomachs.

At the sound of the unknown crackling and Eeyena's pointing Rask sighed and stood up, picking up his blade in the process. He squinted outwards while gripping the steel in both hands, in anticipation of potential conflict.

Show

Ate 1 of the 10 orcish trail rations.

Got a mighty 10 on the perception check to see anything.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-09-05 at 04:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

Ilsa & Ramiel

Ilsa and Ramiel had opted to sit near Narek, with the summoner chewing away at some hardtack and beef jerky (Ramiel, being an outsider, had no physical need to eat). At Aubrin's startling, the two of them perked up, gazing to the south.

Show
    As Ilsa and Ramiel both have Darkvision, the DC is lowered to 16.

Ilsa: (1d20)[7]
    Ramiel: (1d20+5)[22]

While Ilsa did not spot anything, Ramiel did.

"It is a man. Rather bedraggled... he's stumbling, almost as if he doesn't know where he's going."

Ramiel stood up.

"Hold! Who goes there?"
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-09-05 at 06:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

The man, now on the verge of stumbling right into your arms, has made it just outside the circle of light at the edge of your new camp. Those of you who missed him before get a good look now, and 'bedraggled' doesn't quite do it justice. His long hair is a tangled mess of an unknown color, covered in grime and sporting a few leaves and branches sticking out of it. There are huge dark circles under his eyes, and it's easier to count the places on his clothing where there isn't tearing. He walk-runs with a limp, and close inspection reveals some kind of wound on his left thigh. The moment that Ramiel calls out to identify himself, the stranger stops in his tracks. He locks eyes with the azata, and you recognize something in them: pure dread.

That's when he screams. It's not the sound that a man ought to make, but more of an animal baying. Despite his injury, he falls into a slight crouch, gaze flickering around to see what before he had missed. But he clearly recognizes a fight he cannot win, and so is already starting to back away. Within seconds, the stranger will be on the run again, this time into the growing dark.

Show
    This one's pretty straightforward - any of you can make a DC 15 Bluff or Diplomacy check to try and calm this fellow down. Otherwise, he's going to bolt back into the forest, and you may need to chase him (if you want).

Spoiler: The Stranger
    Show
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #328

Ilsa & Ramiel

Upon recognizing that the man was clearly on the verge of panic, summoner and eidolon called out to him.

"Do not be afraid! We're friends!"

"You will come to no harm, sir! Please calm down!"

Show
    Diplomacy time!

Ilsa: (1d20+4)[10]
    Ramiel: (1d20)[17]

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena narrows her eyes at the man as he comes into view, but doesn't do anything as overtly threatening as draw her weapon. So she waits, silently, letting others do the talking, though she does offer an agreeing nod as the man is told that he'll not be harmed.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

As darkness fell, Narek wandered the camp slowly, taking notes in his journal as he made his way through. He was pleased at the number of shelters the group had produced; they would be critical to their short term survival. The goats, however, might be the basis for long term resources. The refugees had consumed quite a few provisions, and they would need to replenish those soon. Perhaps foraging while on the move would be sufficient ...

Narek paused in his rounds, looking up. Before him was Shara and Thel. He stared for long moments, silent, then finally moved closer to squat next to them. "So. How are you doing? Did you get enough to eat? Is the shelter god enough for you both? Remember, huddle for warmth - the night air can give you chills. Thel, watch over your mother for me - I have to help the others find us a new home so I need your help. Can you do that?"

He listened to their answers, somewhat awkward, but still grateful. He smiled at the eager look in Thel's eyes at the thought of helping. He stayed for a moment, not saying much, but trying to absorb their presence... their scent ...

After a few moments, he stride away, finding a spot of his own to sit and check his spellbook. Even as he started to study, he heard Shara's voice rise into song - a mournful hymn full of loss and hope. As the notes fades into silence, he soon lost himself in the mystical writings of his book, never noticing Ilsa and her companion joining him. However, the loud sound and shout from the eidolon drew his attention.

Standing quickly, Narek pulled free a wand, his otherworldly eyes piercing the darkness. Upon seeing the wild-looking man, he frowned, muttering about fey tricks and dark blight magiks...
    Show
    Untrusting of strange figures at night, Narek isn't going to attempt to stay the man.
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +5