New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 3SC's Ironfang Invasion IC

Mort & Armina
    Level 1 Spiritualist and Phantom of Dedication
    HP -7/9, 7/7 | AC: 16, 14| Attack: +3, +2 | Status: Stable

As Nytara pierced his heart with an arrow, Mortimer stumbled to the ground, losing consciousness, and Armina, depend subsequently faded from view. However, Mortimer's body, fighting back with a will to live, managed to hold on. And so the spiritualist slept, unheeding of the imminent peril of those trapped inside the trading company...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Stabilization Roll (DC 10): 13
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-07-23 at 08:05 PM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena blinks, seeming almost confused for a split second before she sits up, then stops again, seeing the unconscious Mortimer lying almost on top of her. The arrow deep in his chest elicits a frown from her, and she very carefully shifts him slightly to the side, so she can stand without disturbing him, looking around just as the door from the animal pen closes. Standing, Eyena all but tiptoes around Mortimer, looking over to the others and breathing in once.

"I do not mean to be unnecessarily curt, but it would be ideal if someone capable of casting curative magic quickly made their way here, as Mortimer requires aid!" She says. It's halfway to a shout, at least, though her expression makes it clear that the stomach wound she seems to have not noticed until she collapsed is bothering her now. Then, looking down with a frown, Eyena leaves him, heading to the door the hobgoblin just went through, standing by it with her weapon at the ready. She stops, breathing heavily, watching the door.

Spoiler: Round 4 OOC
    Show
    Standing up, moving up. Hopefully our fire brigade will get moving even without explicit orders from Eyena.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2017-07-24 at 08:54 AM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen visibly struggles with the decision, to heal Mortimer and potentially raise another combatant or add to the water materializing over the flames. Agonizingly, he dashes to the fallen spiritualist. "Buckets! We need more buckets! Everyone, help!" Kneeling beside Mortimer's prone form, he closes his eyes quietly. "Mother Earth, if it be your will...." A brief glow suffuses the Elf's hands once more as Mortimer's breathing suddenly regulates.

Spoiler: Gilraen, round 5
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle (warsighted), Level 1, Init 5, HP 10/10, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS MW composite long bow (54 arrows) +4 (1d8+2, x3 )
    quarterstaff +2 (1d6+2, x2)
    Studded leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition Charisma to saves vs enchantment
    Spells, 1st level: 2/4 remaining (CLW, DF, SoF)
    Martial Flexibility: 3/4

Obviously, call to the NPCs to HALP!
    Move to Mort
    CLW on Mort: (1d8+1)[4] HPz

4. - Top - End - #154

Mort & Armina
    HP -3/9, 7/7 | AC: 16, 14| Attack: +3, +2 | Status: Stable

The wound in Mortimer's chest knotted itself further together, and the spiritualist continued to breath steadily, but he remained unconscious.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-07-24 at 09:16 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek sighed in frustration as the archer slipped into the forge. The fire was now spreading, perhaps uncontrollably, so they needed to get the people out immediately. He waved his family over to help the half-orc push on the door. He growled as he helped, his magic projecting his voice through the door. "Well that's just great - looks like the hobs just slipped into the forge, Kining. And the roof is failing ..."

Spoiler: Round 4
    Show
    Aid Rask Aid vs DC10 - (1d20)[10]
    Status
    AC: 12 HP: 3/7 Init +9 Move 30'
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Weapon: Hvy crossbow w/18 bolts (10 MW)
    Spells: prestidigitation, detect magic, message; grease, mage armor, heightened awareness
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (6); wand of grease (10); unknown wand (25)
    Effect: prestidigitation (1hr)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

He grunted after the front door didn't budge, then reapplied himself, taking on the opposite side Narek was pushing on.

Spoiler: Round 5
    Show

Strength check to open the door (w/ aid) (1d20+6)[12]

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Even though he's aided by the mechanical advantage provided by Narek's leverage, Rask proved unable to upend the door's study locking mechanism. The wood seems to be bending ever so slightly, but it's stronger than even the half-orc's straining. From inside the shop, the first voice seems to have disappeared, replaced with a frightened multitude. "Help us! Gods, please - we need to move the - I know, keep pushing! Help! HELP!!" The trapped villagers seem to be barred from opening the door on their end, at least for a few moments longer. But given how quickly the flames above could become an inferno, you're not certain how much time they have left.

At long last, the battlefield appears clear of enemies standing in your way, and all of the residents of Phaendar who were previously hovering on the side lines charge into the fray. Busy as the local spellcasters are, Jet and Shara take charge of the others, directing them into a rough water supply chain. "Ramus, take your brothers and fill the buckets up, pass them along to the front! Jodis, get everyone else ready to throw!" Organizing themselves, they're easily able to fill containers from the full pig trough and get them up onto the roof. The fire is still catching on new material, but the collaborative effort is definitely slowing the rate of growth now. Those inside still have a chance.

Standing to the south at the now open door to the forge, Eyena is able to get a small glimpse of what lies within. The adjoined building - bigger than the shop it's attached to - seems to be divided with the actual forge somewhere else. Instead, what the magus sees is a proper hayloft tucked away into the southeastern corner of the space. There's no visible sign of where the last Ironfang soldier went, but as she stands at the portal, Eyena hears what seem to the sounds of heavy footsteps, followed by a distinctly female scream and an awful snapping noise.

Spoiler: Round 5 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Not much to say here - this round was pretty uneventful, combat wise. I'm going to keep you guys moving in rounds for as long as there's the urgency of the fire to deal with (as well as what's going on inside the forge). All of the NPCs together will be able to put out 2 squares of fire per turn now, but both of the original ones hit their 50% mark, so we're up to 4 burning squares in total.

You guys still have a few rounds before either the people trapped inside bust free, or they start to suffocate and die. I suggest you use them wisely.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:18 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing the scream, Eyena frowns, rushing into the forge with Blütenstaub held high. She stops a moment to take in the scene before her, then lowers her weapon, turns around, and steps back out of the room, closing the door behind her quietly. Once outside, she calmly walks over to the double doors and pulls them shut as well. For a moment, she seems unsure of what to do, sheathing her sword and watching the line of people work to put more water onto the fire or hammer on the door.

For the moment, she simply waits, looking from one thing to the next, while occasionally looking back at the newly-closed doors.

Spoiler: Round 5 Actions
    Show
    Yeah, Eyena walks in, then decides she's not dealing with this and goes to close the doors and then chill.

Sheathing your weapon is a Move Action!

9. - Top - End - #159

Mort & Armina
    HP -3/9, 7/7 | AC: 16, 14| Attack: +3, +2 | Status: Stable

If he had been conscious, Mort would have done something like yell "Everyone not hauling buckets, clear the debris away from the door and windows! Or smash them!" As it was, he remained unconscious, and so did nothing.
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2017-07-25 at 08:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

As Mortimer stirs, Gilraen sighs in relief. His expression wanes to irritation as the spiritualist remains unconscious. "Blast! Aubrin, when we have the fire dealt with, Mortimer will need additional aid." The Elf rises and approaches the blaze, conjuring a relatively small quantity of water to add more steam to the cloud rising above the store.

Spoiler: Gilraen, round 6
    Show
    Gilraen Súrion
    M CG Elf Oracle (warsighted), Level 1, Init 5, HP 10/10, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 2, Ref 3, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 0
    PBS MW composite long bow (54 arrows) +4 (1d8+2, x3 )
    quarterstaff +2 (1d6+2, x2)
    Studded leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Condition Charisma to saves vs enchantment
    Spells, 1st level: 2/4 remaining (CLW, DF, SoF)
    Martial Flexibility: 3/4

create water for 2 gallons to help put out the fire.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek growled and readied himself to push the door again. He grunted out to the townspeople milling about, "Get over here and help before these people die!"

Spoiler: Round 4
    Show
    Aid Rask Aid vs DC10 - (1d20)[20] ... and hopefully others help!
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Spells: prestidigitation, detect magic, message; grease, mage armor, heightened awareness
    Prescience: 5/7; wand of magic missile (6); wand of grease (10); unknown wand (25)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

As Eyena moves out from the smithy and locks the door behind her, the last of the villagers move into position. Mortimer continues to take a dirt nap, a few of the people stepping over his body as they continue to pass buckets up and down the line in the continued effort to quench the flames. With Gilraen adding his own magic into the mix, the tide is finally turned, and the worst of the blaze is snuffed out, leaving smoky thatch and a few charred beams in its place. The rest of the fire is put out pretty easily after that. "Alright, I think we've got it! Great work, everyone! When we get out of this, I'll make sure to get every one of you a round on the Lucky Drunk! Except you, Thel - sorry." A small cheer goes up in the crowd as Aubrin proclaims the work done, and the cleric goes about making sure that nobody has been wounded or singed in their efforts, leaving the heroes to deal with the persistent entryway. She stops at Mortimer's body when she reaches it, suffusing it with divine energy.

For all of Rask's pushing and shoving, it is not brute strength that opens the door into the Phaendar Trading Company, but a properly applied mechanical advantage... and a little bit of luck. Narek manages to land his blow at exactly the right point in the frame, snapping what has already been bent. As such, the wizard crashes through the door, to find himself face to face with a great big mess. The interior of the shop is drab and dominated by sacks of seed, bolts of cloth, barrels of nails, and staples like flour and salt. Or at least, it must have been before the invasion. Now, all of the shelves, tables, and chairs in the room have been used to form makeshift barricades over every single window and door, save for this one, which is currently being peeled away. An open door reveals that a small bedroom - presumably Kining's - is off to one side, and shows even less care in its presentation than the haphazard shop.

"Well then, looks like you're not a bunch of hobgoblins after all! What took you so long, then? Looking into the room, you see a few more scared townsfolk huddled together, most of them breathing hard in exertion from the fumes or moving obsctacles out of the doorway. One figure breaks from this pattern. Countless burn scars mar the dwarf's pale skin, and she keeps her iron-gray hair cut in a short wedge. She wears leather armor under what appears to be a soot-stained jerkin, as well as a pair of forger's goggles along with a crimson scarf around her neck. She is also decked out in weapons, from a pair of battleaxes to a crossbow and longsword, all of exceptional quality. Lastly, she carries an absolutely beautiful buckler over her shoulder, which is embossed with what appears to be a holy symbol of some sort.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Well, the fire didn't spread too much this round, and now that you're putting out 2+ squares a turn, I'm going to say that you guys put out the fire. And I think, given that Eyena has locked the door to the smithy and the fire has pretty much been put out now, we can officially call this combat a wrap. Well done, all! I've rolled healing in the Roll20, Mort has been healed for 10 hp.

I've updated the map, although I'm away from my keyboard (and book) so I won't be able to update the spreadsheet for loot, provision points and the like. Nonetheless, now that combat is over, you can all RP a bit before we move on. There are a few matters you'll probably want to discuss.

Spoiler: Kining Blondebeard
    Show

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion) DC 12
    Show
    I know there's a lot of these, but if anyone is able to make this check, they peg the holy symbol on the shield as being that of Droskar, a relatively minor evil dwarven deity whose interests are cheating, slavery, and toil in general.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-27 at 08:47 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

13. - Top - End - #163

Mort & Armina.
    HP -9/9, 7/7 | AC: 16, 14| Attack: +3, +2 | Status: --

As Aubrin's magic knitted his flesh back together, Mortimer groaned painfully.

"Uuuugh... Did anyone get the name of the guy driving the wagon?.."

Hauling himself up, he looked around those assembled.

"Is, erm, everyone alright?"

After obtaining an answer from those present, he continued.

"Any who are wounded, come see me. I've got a wand, so I can patch up - patch you up. We're gonna look through the post, grab what we can. Then we're gonna swing around to Oreld's, see if anyone's there before we make a beeline for the bridge outta town."

Having said this, he then began the ritual to summon Armina forth once again before proceeding into the Trading Post and taking a look around for useful supplies.

Show
    The ritual to bring forth Armina takes one minute. Once this is complete, Mort and her will then proceed inside to see what they can find.

Mort: (1d20+6)[7]
    Armina: (1d20)[5]

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

The door flew open, but the smell of smoke and burning flesh drove him back. He could hear the screams, but it was too late. They were all dead ...

Narek shook his head, snorting as he reached out to pull Thel close. "Seems the door was stuck. Better see to that someday, but not today. We need to get out of here quickly - I suggest you grab anything that isn't locked down, gather the townsfolk and lets get moving.

Got any other gear we can use to protect ourselves as we evacuate the town?"

He glanced meaningfully at the shield she sported, recognizing the unusual symbol on it ...

Spoiler: OOC4
    Show

Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

As the fire recedes and the door finally opens (though likely not in the way intended by its designer), Eyena approaches the entrance to the shop, tapping her fingers together and nodding slowly, eventually coming to the door silently. She waits a few moments, before looking to Kining and speaking.

"Good evening, Miss Blondebeard. It's...good to see you're well," Eyena says. "I apologize if this is overly forward and rude, but I would like to ask about the nature of the seemingly aggressive rock...thing, in the forge," she says. "It's been quite helpful!" She adds quickly, raising her hands as if expecting a rebuke. "I was just - curious! You see, it did kill one of them. One of the hobgoblin, archer - the woman. She ran into the forge, and it killed her. That was good, for us. But it seems, dangerous."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen's relief is apparent as the civilians prove to have survived their ordeal, though his expression is marred by some sort of irritation. Still, he waits near the back, unable or unwilling to immediately interject himself into the reunion of villagers. He nods at Narek's words, approving of his to-the-point manner. "I can carry some significant weight yet, if needed," he offers to the mage.

Eyena's commentary of living rock things draws his attention towards the doors of the forge. He regrips his bow, prepared to make use of it (though it remains pointed towards the ground at his feet) as he slowly, warily backs away from the forge doors.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

On your orders, the rooms of the shop are quickly rummaged through, anything worth using as a weapon being divided up among those who can wield them, while anything perishable is stuffed into a bag. Kining watches the proceedings with an ever increasing scowl. "Looting's almost as bad as the f*ckin' hobs," she profanes as though to herself. If anyone tries to approach her for any of the weapons she's carrying, the smith cantankerously stares at them until they back down.

"Oh gods! Thank the Faith!" A woman among the crowd who was helping with the firefighting efforts pushes through a few other people to throw herself bodily into the arms of a young man who bears the scars of a few injuries. They hold a tender embrace for a few moments, before she removes her head from his chest. "I thought... I looked for you at the Shrine, but you weren't there." He mutters a few somethings in her ear, inaudible enough that none of you are able to hear it, but she obviously takes comfort in it. They leave the Trading Company hand in hand. Rhyna watches the display with a giant grin on her face, before getting back to helping Jet categorize the various goods you have collected.

When Eyena speaks up about what she saw in the forge, Kining's silver brows shoot up. "A... rock thing? In my forge? What in the Nine Hells... I have no idea what you're talking about, lady. But if there's something messing around in there, you can bet I want to know what it is." Drawing her steel, she starts to make for the doors back outside.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-09-08 at 11:19 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #168

Mort & Armina.
    HP 9/9, 7/7 | AC: 16, 14| Attack: +3, +2 | Status: --

As Armina re-manifested herself, she turned immediately to her brother.

<What happened?>

<Arrow to the chest. Aubrin patched me up, thankfully.>

Looming close, Armina hugged her little brother.

<Idiot. Be more careful next time, okay?>

<I'll try.>

As Kining stalked off to deal with the 'rock monster' Mort drew his scythe. "Now, hold on. If we're going to deal with a possible monster in the forge, it's best those of us who can fight all go in together." He looked at the others. "Anyone else coming?"

Show
    Have moved Mort and Armina to the forge.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek shookfrowned as the odd girl finally came forward with I formation regarding a rock monster. He had presumed she had dealt with the archer; apparently there was something else in there. However, as Kept king and others moved to deal with the situation, he cleared his throat. "Why? We can't take the forge with us, so unless you have additional supplies in there, we should leave well enough alone. It might make a nice surprise for the Legion.

Unless ther is in there, Kining?"

He glanced at the dwarf who seemed intent on clearing the forge ...

Show
    Sense motive - (1d20+6)[12]
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen's wary stance doesn't change, but an increasingly curious expression comes over his face as Kining makes her way towards the doors of the forge. His ears and eyes snap from speaker to speaker, though they always return to the doors, distrustful of whatever lies beyond.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

With the rest of the group gathering what they can, guided by Aubrin, Jet, and Rhyna, your group is free to assemble outside, near the now-locked doors to the forge. Kining carries her shield in her right hand and a longsword in her left. "Got a bunch of stuff in there, samsaran. A few more weapons. The plans and sketches for my reconstruction of Phaendar Bridge. That is why you guys came to rescue me, right? You're gonna blow up all my hard work, 'zat it?" She follows up her words by affixing you all with an uncompromising stare.

"Any time you want to move your asses and help, you're welcome to join. Unless you want to end up skewered by hob swords."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-30 at 02:12 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #172

Mort & Armina.
    HP 9/9, 7/7 | AC: 16, 14| Attack: +3, +2 | Status: --

"We are with you."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Eyena nods at Kining's instructions and follows, eyes on the still-closed doors of the forge.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Gilraen snorts. "By all means, feel free to lead the way. I will feel much better back amongst the trees, all things considered." Nonetheless, his stance makes clear his intentions: with a ready bow and carefully keen expression, he follows not far behind.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask nodded. That was, in fact, what they had come here for. At least the weapons were why he'd came. Btu the bridge plans sounded like a mighty good undertaking to his sensibilities. So Rask nodded, first at Kinning then at the door to her forge.
    Last edited by n0ble; 2017-07-30 at 07:42 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek snorted. "Oh, so you're waiting on us to do something? This does appear to be a situation where locking ourselves in a flammable building probably won't help, so let's see what we can do. We accept your offer- our assistance in exchange for your help by way of weapons and aid in destroying the bridge. "

Narek turned to Eyena. "Okay, would you please describe the creature you saw again?"

Show
    KS Planes - (1d20+8)[27] vs creature; he'll share whatever he figures out
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4
    Last edited by Starbin; 2017-07-31 at 03:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

"It was about short, and made of rock and earth," Eyena says after a few moments, then indicates a space around four feet above the ground. "It was...mostly humanoid, in shape. No face. But eyes, made of...gems, of some kind."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Narek Skyskin

Narek frowned, looking around the group of people, then at Kining. "That sounds like an earth elemental ... but who, or what, summoned it here? If it attacks, you might be batter of standing in the water over there ..."

Making sure Shara had Thel, Narek stepped forward.
    He signaled to the others to be ready, slowly reaching for the door. As his hand touches the knob, the door exploded outward and all hell broke loose ...

Narek approached the door and reached to open it. Once it was open, he planned on moving back out of the way quickly, wand in hand ...

Show
    I figure the KS from before was enough to play this out?
    Status
    F +0 R +2 W +4

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

The word 'elemental' brings a look of comprehension to Kining's face. She seems about to say something else, but her face hardens as Narek moves to open up the door. Despite the samsaran's vision of the future, it does not come to pass. Instead, the door opens quietly inwards after the lock is taken off, and you are blasted by the heat coming from the still burning forge. There, you see the bodies of not one, but two Ironfang soldiers. Nytara lies a bit further to the south, although with all the blood about it's somewhat hard to tell if she's still alive. The other specimen is male, and looks to have been here for a bit longer - judging from the empty weapons racks and Kining's scowl as she surveys the area, the hobgoblins must have already looted the forge before turning to the people in the shop.

And, of course, the elemental remains. It stands roughly halfway between where the enemy archer once stood and the bed of coals used in Kining's craft. Judging by the way it hovers awkwardly, the creature doesn't seem to know what to do with itself - it certainly wasn't about to go on the offensive. Its green gemstone eyes turn towards you curiously, but it is far too sluggish to react in time as the door is opened all the way. You have your moment now, to end this monster before it can ever become a threat.

Show
    Updated Map

Okay, for once all of you beat the monster in order to take your turns! All of you will be able to take your Round 1 actions now - no surprise rounds this time or anything - and we'll move right into block. Kining will probably take a more active role in this combat, but we'll see if the elemental is even standing by that point.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rask went forward and matter of factly brought his sword about in a diagonal slash at the creatures body.

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show

Move Action: 15ft forward
    Standard Action: Attack
    to hit (power attacking): (1d20+4)[20]
    damage: (2d6+9)[17]
    Critcal confirmation: (1d20+4)[6]