New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Monk Help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Monk Help

So I'm in a gestalt game, my build is going to be something like Fighter8/Rogue4,Monk4, however I want something that makes the monks flurry of blows to keep progressing, the reason for the rogue is because I'm filling the rogue spot purely for the skills, not the precision damage. This is 3.5 any tips on feats or builds?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Monk Help

There are feats that will allow the unarmed damage to continue progressing, but as far as Flurry of Blows goes I don't know of anything off the top of my head. I don't think it actually progresses beyond level 11, though. You may be better off investing in Two-Weapon Fighting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tstewt1921 View Post
    So I'm in a gestalt game, my build is going to be something like Fighter8/Rogue4,Monk4, however I want something that makes the monks flurry of blows to keep progressing, the reason for the rogue is because I'm filling the rogue spot purely for the skills, not the precision damage. This is 3.5 any tips on feats or builds?
    There are several feats that allow you to add extra unarmed attacks, which is very similar to progressing Flurry of Blows. For example, the TWF line is Core, although it's unclear if unarmed strikes can be both your primary and offhand weapon (in 3.5, this is generally a "no", while in Pathfinder it's a "yes".) Snap Kick (from Tome of Battle) allows you to add an unarmed strike to a standard or full attack. Adding the Planar Touchstone feat linked to Oxyrhynchus gives you an additional attack whenever your opponent is denied his Dex bonus (such as from the Invisible Fist ACF in Exemplars of Evil). Most of these feats incur a -2 attack penalty, but then, that's what I suppose the Fighter levels are for: Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Focus can help offset the attack penalty.

In Unapproachable East, there's the Shou Disciple PrC, which appears to progress Flurry of Blows but... it's not clear from the 3.0 text how exactly it works. (The book was updated to 3.5, but the designers never bothered to update the text for Shou Disciple.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

I can only recall 2 prc that progress flurry and one is 3.0 where you need DM approval.

Shadow Sun Ninja (ToB)
    - only real 3.5 prc that progresses flurry as far as I know. But it is heavily focused on its own theme, so maybe uninteresting for you.

Shou Disciple
    - a 3.0 prc that gives you access to all weapons for flurry. In 3.0 flurry was a 1st lvl monk ability that did scale with BaB. So If you where to update the prc to 3.5 you/the DM can assume that it progresses flurry, cause imho progressing and enhancing flurry is the base of this (5lvl) prc.

As Vaern pointed out, you need only max 11 lvls of flurry progress (it ends there). Imho you can make it worth. If you can manage to get a BaB of 16+ with full flurry progression and TWF feat chainline, you get a bunch of attacks that ain't reachable for most builds.
    My ShurikeNado build makes use of this. Maybe give it a look for some inspiration.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Replace fighter with Psychic Warrior and take the Tashalatora feat

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Could've sworn Drunken Master (CW) progressed flurry of blows.

Then again, I don't think it progresses skill points too well either.
    (Gets 4 Skill Point per lvl)

EDIT: Drunken Master doesn't progress FoB, its just a requesite
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Could've sworn Drunken Master (CW) progressed flurry of blows.

Then again, I don't think it progresses skill points too well either.
    (Gets 4 Skill Point per lvl)

EDIT: Drunken Master doesn't progress FoB, its just a requesite
    Drunken Master is a really bad 3.0 update into 3.5 .
    While requiring to have flurry, IUS and evasion (monk class features), it doesn't progress ANY monk abilities at all. IMHO the designers did a pretty bad job here, but that's how it is.

No flurry, no unarmed strike dmg progress, no imp. evasion, nothing base-3.5-monkish at all.
    Open for DM fiat, but I wouldn't count on that.

edit: but a lvl 2 dip for Stagger is great for uberchargers ;)