New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The [curse] condition and Witches Hexes

Since DSP introduced the [curse] condition for the Cursed Razor discipline in Path of War and expanded on it with the Malefex class, I am considering whether or not a Witches Hex feature could also impart the condition. The Witch does not benefit from the [curse] condition in any way, unless DSP has released some archetype or feat I am unaware of, but the idea is thematically appropriate and would benefit Cursed Razor users or Malefexes in the Witches party.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by EisenKreutzer; 2017-07-02 at 09:59 PM.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The [curse] condition and Witches Hexes

I've always thought it was a little short sighted of DSP to not at least mention hexes one way or another with regards to the cursed condition, since though they don't have the [curse] descriptor, they're pretty obviously a sort of curse.

Of course, I also thought Paizo should have added the [curse] descriptor to hexes when they first created it, so I guess I'm comfortable blaming both parties for the confusion.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    Since DSP introduced the [curse] condition for the Cursed Razor discipline in Path of War and expanded on it with the Malefex class, I am considering whether or not a Witches Hex feature could also impart the condition. The Witch does not benefit from the [curse] condition in any way, unless DSP has released some archetype or feat I am unaware of, but the idea is thematically appropriate and would benefit Cursed Razor users or Malefexes in the Witches party.

Thoughts?
    Afternoon! Creator/implementer of the condition in question here.

Hexes were considered, then deliberately excluded. Many are buffs or heals; others grant passive or active abilities to the witch in question. Making them [curse] abilities, even if it was within my grasp, would have created numerous rules holes that did not previously exist, and creating a whitelist for such is a lot of ongoing work for no reward. If you or another GM are inclined to make such a whitelist for your campaigns, my advice is to include "debuff" style hexes with a duration of one or more round; that way, if they are removed or dispelled, you don't end up in weird rule situations.

However, the witch spell list does have plenty of curses
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2017-07-03 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Afternoon! Creator/implementer of the condition in question here.

Hexes were considered, then deliberately excluded. Many are buffs or heals; others grant passive or active abilities to the witch in question. Making them [curse] abilities, even if it was within my grasp, would have created numerous rules holes that did not previously exist, and creating a whitelist for such is a lot of ongoing work for no reward. If you or another GM are inclined to make such a whitelist for your campaigns, my advice is to include "debuff" style hexes with a duration of one or more round; that way, if they are removed or dispelled, you don't end up in weird rule situations.

However, the witch spell list does have plenty of curses
    Thanks for chiming in! I appreciate your input on this.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I was going to point out that SLumber would then be included, but it's already far and away the best Hex, so it really doesn't matter