New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Helping the Idiot

I feel really stupid, but I must confess that of late a lot of Erfworld hasn't been that funny to me. I got the first jokes just fine, and they got a chuckle or two, but lately I haven't been able to find many (the out-and-back trip and Stanley's comment in the last panel of 72 I did spot, along with some incongruities with the world, but not real humor). If there's a rule against posting explanations, okay, then could someone please PM me. I like the idea and the story, but I'm not laughing.

Sincerely, the four of us

<--Wait, what are you doing here?

My party:

Eight people + Six Hours = The "Dude, Have You Seen My Pants?" War

Over
    and over
    again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Helping the Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
    I feel really stupid, but I must confess that of late a lot of Erfworld hasn't been that funny to me. I got the first jokes just fine, and they got a chuckle or two, but lately I haven't been able to find many (the out-and-back trip and Stanley's comment in the last panel of 72 I did spot, along with some incongruities with the world, but not real humor). If there's a rule against posting explanations, okay, then could someone please PM me. I like the idea and the story, but I'm not laughing.
    There haven't been as many funny bits lately, but that's to be expected as the dramatic tension ratchets up. We're now on the threshold of a decision point (Jillian either attacks the wounded dwagons, or moves on past) that might determine the outcome of this battle.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Is there something in particular that you don't get? Erfworld's not really about laugh-a-minute gags. It's more about storytelling and the unfolding of the characters and the battle. The humour lies in the artwork and the parodies of popular culture and the neat and sometimes obscure references that are thrown into the mix.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

yeah, erf is a dif breed than OOTS.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I know it's different, and I like it as a drama with a somewhat funny setting, but I haven't really laughed of late and I'm wondering if it's me or the comic. I just feel I'm missing something here and I want to know what.

My party:

Eight people + Six Hours = The "Dude, Have You Seen My Pants?" War

Over
    and over
    again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
    I know it's different, and I like it as a drama with a somewhat funny setting, but I haven't really laughed of late and I'm wondering if it's me or the comic. I just feel I'm missing something here and I want to know what.
    The latest bit (Stanley pouting like a five-year-old when he's told that one of his wartime enemies actually -- gasp! -- hates him) made me chuckle. Of course, humor is a very individual thing; some jokes are always going to fall flat.