New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Jobs people do willing that I will never understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    @Vinyadan: just because laws exist doesn't mean people follow them all the time. I'd bet majority of those helmetless construction workers, for example, were acting in direct violation of safety regulations.
    This seems likely. There are cases where safety regulations are broken on company insistence, but not wearing helmets seems relatively unlikely to be one of them (whereas something like having more people than necessary in a dangerous place to speed up a process is much more likely).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Are German safety laws nationwide or land-dependent? I have seen some odd mixture of safety and "unsafety" there, so, for example, pruning of very tall trees was done in a remarkably safe way, with the right shoes, safety ropes and harness, and I think also head protection; at the same time, however, you could occasionally find an excavator working on the walkway without it being closed to the public, or state buildings without crash bars, or people working at some construction sites without head protection, while they were used on other sites.

Beside safety, one unusual thing I saw there was a construction worker who simply staid in the construction site when everyone else was gone, sat on a roof, and spent about half an hour playing with his smartphone. Does this happen often?
    Usually, wherever there's construction work going on, there should be at least cones or some stuff. But as others said, sometimes people are lazy, or don't use them.

Regarding crash bars, I think that's more of an US/UK thing. German buildings usually have a pretty strict fire code, and that includes doors which can always be opened from inside, most just use the generic handle, some are even equipped with a system that sounds the fire alarm as soon as they're pushed.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Being a dentist is usually a secure high paying job. The other jobs help pay the bills too.
    You know that troupe where a mother suggests to her daughter to shack up with a nice dentist because he's loaded? There's a reason that troupe exists. And it's money.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    In fact the sound better than most jobs that I know of.

I'd trade.

Since they offer either:

good pay,

good conditions,

or,

the chance to do good
    *gestures wildly at this statement* THIS.

Also, if you want to know why people act in Horror Movies, may I suggest Bruce Campbell's autobiography 'Behind the Chin'? He details his and his friend's love of horror movies, and their attempts to make their own. Several directing and acting careers have been launched by horror movies, or started out there.

And I can think of a lot of jobs that are worse then having buckets of corn syrup and dairy creamer with food coloring thrown at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Are German safety laws nationwide or land-dependent? I have seen some odd mixture of safety and "unsafety" there, so, for example, pruning of very tall trees was done in a remarkably safe way, with the right shoes, safety ropes and harness, and I think also head protection; at the same time, however, you could occasionally find an excavator working on the walkway without it being closed to the public, or state buildings without crash bars, or people working at some construction sites without head protection, while they were used on other sites.
    Well I can't speak for German laws in particular. But I can say this. in the US at least, what laws are followed and how stringent they are depends a great deal on exactly what is being done and what company is involved. Some companies tend to be far more safety conscious than others, even exceeding OSHA rules, and others go the opposite direction getting away with as much as the possibly can.

Falling is one of the MOST dangerous things that you can. It is the leading cause of workplace fatalities in most jobs. Which is why people take heights more seriously than other things, like an excavator in a walkway. I mean you can see the equipment and walk around it, and depending on how deep the excavation you might not even need any serious roping off or anything.

And at least in the US rules vary considerably in different areas. I mean you have the federal rules, but a lot of Construction depends on county and municipal level rules. Now most of that isn't safety, but rather construction procedures what kind of things you are and are not allowed to do. But if Germany is similar the fall rules are Federal in the US, that's OSHA, 6' or up and you wear a harness, unless you can't tie off to anything, or you're on a scaffold or you're in steel erection. Whereas rules about road closures and when to rope things off are like municipal level.

Beside safety, one unusual thing I saw there was a construction worker who simply staid in the construction site when everyone else was gone, sat on a roof, and spent about half an hour playing with his smartphone. Does this happen often?
    That sounds to me like a lunch break. Or maybe they had an open hole that they couldn't cover before lunch and he offered to watch it instead of having everybody have to actually go and close up the opening. I mean there's all kinds of possibilities. Maybe they needed somebody to stay behind during lunch so nobody steals their power tools. Which I could see as well.

I mean if you drive by my site at 12:30, you'll see a bunch of dudes with no helmets, some of whom are playing on smartphones.

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Usually, wherever there's construction work going on, there should be at least cones or some stuff. But as others said, sometimes people are lazy, or don't use them.
    That's true, but the rules as to exactly how many and when they should be used vary pretty drastically, and sometimes it's impractical to use those kind of devices for other reasons and you can get all kinds of exemptions on that sort of thing, at least in the US.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Maybe they needed somebody to stay behind during lunch so nobody steals their power tools. Which I could see as well.
    Every contractor I have ever seen has put their name on EVERY. SINGLE. TOOL. because tools are quite valuable. Even the ladders have their names on them and can't be left unattended.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

That's true, but the rules as to exactly how many and when they should be used vary pretty drastically, and sometimes it's impractical to use those kind of devices for other reasons and you can get all kinds of exemptions on that sort of thing, at least in the US.
    I've actually looked up the German legal situation, and found out that there are not that many hard-and-fast rules. Basically, the person who causes the danger (meaning in most situations, the contractor) has to do all they reasonably can to avoid dangerous situations. Otherwise they're liable for any damages caused by their lack of safety measures. The same applies to safety measures like wearing helmets. As you can see, this is the kind of thing that only becomes a problem once there HAS been an accident already. Somebody fell into your badly secured pit? Your mistake. Somebody made the effort to ignore your barricades and blinking lights? Their mistake.

However, as is usually the case, I guess most types of construction have some kind of minimum level of effort required. Meaning that even if nothing happens, you can probably be forced to put up something, because you're knowingly endangering people.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Every contractor I have ever seen has put their name on EVERY. SINGLE. TOOL. because tools are quite valuable. Even the ladders have their names on them and can't be left unattended]
    Well ladders aren't really a theft item, and most of the folks I know leave pretty much everything but power tools just laying about. Of course people aren't really going to go to onto a major site like that and just start rooting around. Like there's a ton of stuff I've seen left out, everything from levels to ladders. Of course, Union Jobs are a little different, like the ladders we use tend to be built on site, so there's less incentive to steal them.

Generally people label things like ladders and stuff, not to prevent theft, since you'd just paint over the name, but because when clean up time happens then you know "this ladder is my ladder", instead of trying to remember if you'd brought the ladder or if it was one of the other contractors who brought it. Or maybe Steelcore left the ladder there after they were tying.

It's also a little different for Rezzie folks cause they usually can't just go out and buy or build another ladder without it really cutting into their margins.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2017-07-22 at 09:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

[QUOTE=AMFV;22223004]
    Every contractor I have ever seen has put their name on EVERY. SINGLE. TOOL. because tools are quite valuable. Even the ladders have their names on them and can't be left unattended]

Well ladders aren't really a theft item, and most of the folks I know leave pretty much everything but power tools just laying about. Of course people aren't really going to go to onto a major site like that and just start rooting around. Like there's a ton of stuff I've seen left out, everything from levels to ladders. Of course, Union Jobs are a little different, like the ladders we use tend to be built on site, so there's less incentive to steal them.

Generally people label things like ladders and stuff, not to prevent theft, since you'd just paint over the name, but because when clean up time happens then you know "this ladder is my ladder", instead of trying to remember if you'd brought the ladder or if it was one of the other contractors who brought it. Or maybe Steelcore left the ladder there after they were tying.

It's also a little different for Rezzie folks cause they usually can't just go out and buy or build another ladder without it really cutting into their margins.
    Working on ships whenever we have contractors on we lock up our tools and check peoples bags before and after they do the work because otherwise they steal all our tools.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

[QUOTE=AMFV;22223004]
    Every contractor I have ever seen has put their name on EVERY. SINGLE. TOOL. because tools are quite valuable. Even the ladders have their names on them and can't be left unattended
    Maybe we live in different areas, or work in different arenas. I help out with renting houses, which you cannot leave unattended in this region or people will break in to steal the copper wiring. Here, you can't even leave a normal wooden handled hammer out without someone stealing it.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

[QUOTE=Spacewolf;22223010]

Working on ships whenever we have contractors on we lock up our tools and check peoples bags before and after they do the work because otherwise they steal all our tools.
    Well that depends on who you're working with. Certainly out of the people are likely to take (accidentally or deliberately), tools, contractors would be the only people I could really think of. I mean maybe a few others. The thing is that what something likely to be stolen is either that it's useful or that it has resale value. For most people tools aren't that useful and they don't have good resale value

[QUOTE=Honest Tiefling;22223038]

Maybe we live in different areas, or work in different arenas. I help out with renting houses, which you cannot leave unattended in this region or people will break in to steal the copper wiring. Here, you can't even leave a normal wooden handled hammer out without someone stealing it.
    Well as somebody who works in construction, I can tell you this. That copper wire... is the most valuable thing in that house, by not a small margin in terms of building materials, and it's relatively easy to sell for scrap. That's why people steal it, cause it's several hundred dollars easy money. You can't resell an aluminum ladder or a wooden handled hammer.

Generally my experience has been that wooden handled hammers vanish not because of theft, but because somebody is like "Oh, I need a hammer," and they grab one that's right there, and they put it someplace else, and this continues until somebody takes it home with them. Because it's not worth that much people wouldn't really feel guilty about it. Or they might genuinely believe that it was their hammer. I've seen the same thing happen with multiple ladders.

I mean there's plenty of stuff you can leave in a house, wood, for example, hand tools, generally, it's not usually worth the time and effort to steal those, or they're cheap enough to replace. I mean you can put them out of sight, but it's not really as big a deal as other things. I once had my truck broken into, I live in a bad neighborhood, I forgot to lock it, that was my mistake. I had a bunch of hand tools in there, wrenches, sockets, vice grips, all that, do you know what they took? Auto-darkening welding helmet and nothing else.

It's not worth it to steal a hammer, unless you're a kid and you find it, then you don't think about it. Or you're a laborer and somebody says "get me a hammer" so you go find one. And then it never gets put back.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

....Maybe they needed somebody to stay behind during lunch so nobody steals their power tools.
    Every contractor I have ever seen has put their name on EVERY. SINGLE. TOOL. because tools are quite valuable. Even the ladders have their names on them and can't be left unattended.

Ladders are always stolen by other trades, even when you paint them!

You lock them so you can find them, and as soon as you set it up, someone else tries to take it away (for the record most jobs I've been on have been "two gate").

I was very relieved one day when after our tools were stolen from our "gang box", we found the lock, which had been sawed through, otherwise I would've gotten in trouble for not locking it, or an "inside job" would be suspected.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I once had my truck broken into, I live in a bad neighborhood, I forgot to lock it, that was my mistake. I had a bunch of hand tools in there, wrenches, sockets, vice grips, all that, do you know what they took? Auto-darkening welding helmet and nothing else.

It's not worth it to steal a hammer, unless you're a kid and you find it, then you don't think about it. Or you're a laborer and somebody says "get me a hammer" so you go find one. And then it never gets put back.
    Quick question, how do you not lock your truck automatically? and how much is the Auto-darkening welding helment? A quick search and it says it costs roughly 50 dollars in my country.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by anjxed View Post
    Quick question, how do you not lock your truck automatically? and how much is the Auto-darkening welding helment? A quick search and it says it costs roughly 50 dollars in my country.
    Mine was more than fifty, it was worth around 200. And I normally DO lock my truck automatically. That time I just forgot too, it happens. I mean I was parked at my house.

Ladders are always stolen by other trades, even when you paint them!

You lock them so you can find them, and as soon as you set it up, someone else tries to take it away (for the record most jobs I've been on have been "two gate").

I was very relieved one day when after our tools were stolen from our "gang box", we found the lock, which had been sawed through, otherwise I would've gotten in trouble for not locking it, or an "inside job" would be suspected.
    That's why I like job built ladders, cause they're on really useful at one specific job, and then you take them apart. I think a lot of it depends on what specific things you're working with as well. Stealing a ladder from our sites would often involve cutting tie wire and removing a ladder from a scaffold, and that changes things from stealing a 100 dollar ladder to causing potentially a several thousand dollar OSHA fine.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Well as somebody who works in construction, I can tell you this. That copper wire... is the most valuable thing in that house, by not a small margin in terms of building materials, and it's relatively easy to sell for scrap. That's why people steal it, cause it's several hundred dollars easy money. You can't resell an aluminum ladder or a wooden handled hammer.
    Which is why I am not surprised someone stayed behind to keep an eye on things, personally.

Generally my experience has been that wooden handled hammers vanish not because of theft, but because somebody is like "Oh, I need a hammer," and they grab one that's right there, and they put it someplace else, and this continues until somebody takes it home with them. Because it's not worth that much people wouldn't really feel guilty about it. Or they might genuinely believe that it was their hammer. I've seen the same thing happen with multiple ladders.
    I'm not disagreeing with you (my mother threatened to buy all pink tools so my father wouldn't wander off with them), but since my family has had tools being stolen out of cars, I think there's likely a market here that's a lot less...Questioning.

Then again, bikes here get stolen all the time, so it's probably just a matter of area. Which means that the mysterious guy on the roof might have stayed behind to keep an eye on anything metallic if it's a high crime area. I sincerely doubt that if a water key was left outside for more then a few hours that it'd still be there after a while.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-07-23 at 02:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

They're not paid enough.
    Most of those make sense, as they involve heavy machinary or dangerous environments. But how come bar tending is so dangerous?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Most of those make sense, as they involve heavy machinary or dangerous environments. But how come bar tending is so dangerous?
    Lots and lots of drunk people, some fraction of which are violent drunks. Plus, it's one of those professions where the average is driven up by a cluster of really high danger worksites well outside the norm. Those bars. The sort of bar where if there's a knife fight in a bar in your city there's a 50-50 chance that it was in that particular bar, even though the city has a good sixty bars in it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

I was once curious about this as well (I briefly was a bartender), and IIRC I found that male bartenders have a much higher on-the-job-fatality-rate than female bartenders, also waiters have a lower on-the-job-fatality-rate than waitresses.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

They get off work at the same time as all the drunk drivers leave the bar

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

They get off work at the same time as all the drunk drivers leave the bar
    No. No they do not. Bartenders generally have at least an hour or two of work (cleaning the bar area, logging tips, etc.) after Last Call. Bartending tends to be a bit more dangerous than a lot of jobs because they have to deal with drunk people a lot, and drunk people have a tendency to get violent. Add in the occasional robbery (bars tend to have an incredible amount of cash lying around at the end of the night), and the cause isn't hard to see.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

(people volunteer to do good, most have to be paid to do evil),
    While people certainly do volunteer to do good, that either that second phrase in your statement is a joke or you're the most naďve person on Earth.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    While people certainly do volunteer to do good, that either that second phrase in your statement is a joke or you're the most naďve person on Earth.

Perhaps.

I stand-by it though.

Most of the evil that is done is to pay the rent or the mortgage.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps.

I stand-by it though.

Or drugs. A lot of bad things are done to pay for drugs.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Perhaps.

I stand-by it though.

Yeah, agreed. That is why evil is so mundane, people do it with a sigh and "its out of my hands," only rarely with a cackle.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps.

I stand-by it though.

I disagree strongly. Most of the evil that is done is not acknowledged to be actually evil by the party committing the evil.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Firbolg in the Playground

Perhaps.

I stand-by it though.

Or, more to the point, to increase profits
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Or, more to the point, to increase profits
    Blasphemy! Profits are good! Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by anjxed View Post
    Blasphemy! Profits are good! Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.
    Greed =/= desire

28. - Top - End - #118
    Firbolg in the Playground

Garbage collectors are more likely to die on the job than police and fire.

They're not paid enough.
    I don't see firemen on the chart, and there's no way it's due to not making the cutoff, not if police made the cutoff
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I don't see firemen on the chart, and there's no way it's due to not making the cutoff, not if police made the cutoff
    I don't know about where you live, but my local firefighting force is largely a volunteer operation, so that could affect whether it was considered a "job" for the purposes of that study.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Larger cities usually have at least a core of fully employed firemen, maybe backed up by volunteers. Strange that it doesn't show up.