New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

annoyed OOTS #1082 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1082 - The Discussion Thread

Geez, Hel is really coming across as kind of a... unhappy, rude lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Evidence continues to mount for my "immature teen emo angsty death goddess" theory. Knowing how these things go, that means it can't possibly be correct.

Really enjoying how this arc is developing though. I didn't get it at first but it's working well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Heh, he at least knows that flattering Hel is a way to get her to agree.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

New old world info! Did we know before that the old world existed for a while before whatever happened to it happened to it?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

So... the main job of her clerics is to be her PR team.

I guess they have a Hel of a Time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Hmm. Not sure what this strip is adding to the plot. Character development for Hel?
    Quote Originally Posted by i6uuaq View Post
    My bid to win an internet.

Spoiler
    Show

To those who say that the timing is wrong for familicide, besides the fact that dry air can mummify bodies effectively, and this has been observed in real life, I offer this second thought:

Do I win?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Okay, so we now know those are Death Giants (Ohhh... I wanted them to be mature vampire spirits).

Hel, why did you agree to this bet in the first place?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, first time i've happened to be on the site when an update was oisted. Either way, that was funny. Hel is an...interesting character, to say the least.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nith View Post
    New old world info! Did we know before that the old world existed for a while before whatever happened to it happened to it?
    To my knowledge, we were told that the old world existed less than an hour before the Snarl destroyed it.

Edit: 27 minutes, in fact.

Edit 2: Misread it apparently. Oh well.
    Last edited by Mariel Dragon; 2017-07-13 at 09:24 AM.
    "yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Thog want more a-pee-ranse!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well Hel, it's kinda your fault you have no wirshippers or clerics.
    I mean betting with your father?
    That's not the kind of gamble anyone who has ever even heard the name Loki should make.

A friendlier attitude wouldn't hurt either.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2017-07-13 at 09:22 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe? The issue is that although we, the audience, know more than the OotS about some things because we get to see all the characters, even we don't know everything there is to know because we only know what any character has exposited to another. The previous world might still have been "under construction" by deific standards, but have existed for hundreds or thousands of years from a mortal perspective before the snarl tore it apart.
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Okay, so we now know those are Death Giants (Ohhh... I wanted them to be mature vampire spirits).

Hel, why did you agree to this bet in the first place?
    My guess is that it wasn't obvious that the bet would screw her over. That it was something like, "You don't get souls based on alignment, but you get all of the dishonored souls, regardless of alignment." Hel didn't realize until it was too late that only dwarves had an honor system, and they usually tried to live and die honorably.

I'm not forgetting anything, am I? We don't know exactly what the bet was, do we?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My sympathy for Thrym is rapidly fading. Nobody likes a sycophant dude.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mariel Dragon View Post
    To my knowledge, we were told that the old world existed less than an hour before the Snarl destroyed it.
    I thought the old world was destroyed by the snarl IN AN HOUR, but we didn't really have a good sense of how much time there was between world-inception and snarl-creation.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Until now we knew there was a world running for some time "Until the day it [the Snarl] struck" and then the old world was destroyed in 27 minutes.
    Not it seems that "Until the day it struck" was a time long enough for Hel to raise clerics to spread her words and get a sweet taste of power.
    (Years, or decades probably).
    A nice bit of information, indeed (which at least on that seems to confirm Shojo's tale).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    I thought the old world was destroyed by the snarl IN AN HOUR, but we didn't really have a good sense of how much time there was between world-inception and snarl-creation.
    Ah, right. Oh well.
    "yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Thog want more a-pee-ranse!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    My sympathy for Thrym is rapidly fading. Nobody likes a sycophant dude.
    The straight-line eyebrows make me think he's trying for a deadpan sarcasm. Hel just either wasn't paying attention or didn't care as long as he agreed with her.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mariel Dragon View Post

Edit: 27 minutes, in fact.

Edit 2: Misread it apparently. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post
    Checking the previous strip 273... "And the gods, blinded by their petty squabbles, did not see the Snarl growing every day" and then on 274 "Until the day it struck... Twenty seven minutes after it revealed it's existence, the Snarl had undone creation... "

So World 1.0 existed for at least a few days before attacking, and then destroyed the world in 27 minutes. From Hel's description it appears that World 1.0 lasted for a lot longer than just a few days, and the Snarl must have been growing quite slowly. Huh, well there you go.

ps. Thanks for the new comic!
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well Hel, it's kinda your fault you have no wirshippers or clerics.
    I mean betting with your father?
    The bet was with Thor. Comic 1000, Subcomic 2, panel 4.

Loki was helping Thor to stop her representative from getting there.
    Last edited by MReav; 2017-07-13 at 09:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    The straight-line eyebrows make me think he's trying for a deadpan sarcasm. Hel just either wasn't paying attention or didn't care as long as he agreed with her.
    Based on his previous actions, it seems more likely to me that he is expressing outrage, feigned or legitimate, for Hel's sake so that she will appreciate him more.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

The old gods. They were ***** to each other, they were ***** to the mortals, even their worshippers, everyone knew they were *****, and everyone prayed to them hoping for clemency occasionally.
    Matthew Greet
    My purpose in life is to play games.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eragon123 View Post
    So... the main job of her clerics is to be her PR team.

I guess they have a Hel of a Time.
    Spoiler: Mild Spoilers for Start of Darkness
    Show
    As it turns out, if Redcloak is to be believed, this is pretty much why gods bother with having clerics in the first place. (Namely, for the purpose of spreading their influence and dealing with issues directly outside their geographical domain.)
    Everything dissolves into blue.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Loki was helping Thor to stop her representative from getting there.
    From the phrasing I had assumed it was her betting against a Thor/Loki team up, presumably with Thor as the front man so she didn't get suspicious until too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Based on his previous actions, it seems more likely to me that he is expressing outrage, feigned or legitimate, for Hel's sake so that she will appreciate him more.
    That is certainly possible to. I thought it looked a lot like Roy's face when he did that kind of thing.

Also he's a demigod, so he probably has to cope with a lot less worshippers than the main guys already. So that would add another layer to why he wouldn't be happy that she was bragging about getting all the worship for NOT doing anything.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

25. - Top - End - #25

I want my...

I want my....

I want my Oh Oh Tee (s)

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by i6uuaq View Post
    Hmm. Not sure what this strip is adding to the plot. Character development for Hel?
    Not every strip needs to advance the plot. The plot is not the only point.

It also DOES clear up one plot point; the dialog with Thrym allows Hel to remind us why she can't just send undead giants after the OOTS and directly attack them. He essentially asks the question a reader might ask about why Hel isn't intervening more directly.
    Last edited by Czhorat; 2017-07-13 at 09:48 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ORione View Post
    something like, "You don't get souls based on alignment, but you get all of the dishonored souls, regardless of alignment."
    "And you won't have clerics! You can keep all of your power, no need to share any with those ungrateful beings that'll only use it to cure your diseases!"

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "And you won't have clerics! You can keep all of your power, no need to share any with those ungrateful beings that'll only use it to cure your diseases!"

GW
    Actually, I don't think Hel's lack of clerics was directly part of the scam. As we have seen, she is perfectly capable of imbuing clerical powers in minions if she chooses to, its just that Hel is a Bad Guy in a world full of Heroes, so she cant actually establish a church because people keep breaking her toys. We do know that nobody living actually worships Hel, but I don't remember if it was ever explained why that's the case.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    From the phrasing I had assumed it was her betting against a Thor/Loki team up, presumably with Thor as the front man so she didn't get suspicious until too late.
    Point is is that the person I was quoting was chastising her for making a bet with Loki, when the bet was with Thor. If Loki was in on the bet, she was most likely not aware of it (god of trickery and all that).

30. - Top - End - #30

I can empathize with Hel's desire to be worshiped when you consider that this sort of stuff literally fuels gods, she's got the rotten end of this deal and maybe if Thor had tried working something out that would legitimate benefit both sides, things wouldn't be going the way they are, I mean, she is still evil and I want to see her plans crash and burn in a spectacular pyre that would bring a tear to Loki's eyes, but still.