New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Road of Queens - CKII India AAR

Crusader Kings 2 - The Road of Queens
    Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-One : A Pretender To The Throne of Bihar

Let’s Get That Wall Expanded!

We open this chapter in October, of the year 861 AD, with the Despot finding out his father's Retinue had elephants.

Spoiler: Dad Had War Elephants!
    Show

"Why can't I have elephants?" he asked his Regent.

"We don't have the infrastructure for war elephants,” explained the Regent. “Maybe one day, if you keep getting good grades, we can look into it.”

The Despot walked off not believing the Regent. He wasn’t a bitter teenager yet but he was old enough to know when somebody was making stuff up. He had come to learn that adults sometimes lied.

A new report about Wanyan Zhilugu had arrived. The adventurer was still doing nothing. He had no cash and he had no men. Did he even have a job? Cutting his dad’s lawn? Newspaper delivery? Anything?

Spoiler: Zhiugu Of The House Of The Wanyan
    Show

And the Wall Map in the throne room had been updated as well. To show how Ayudha had absorbed Pala and the Chinese had absorbed Guge.

Spoiler: The Updated Wall Map
    Show

Near the end of October the Regent told the Despot about Raja Nar Singh of Magadha passing the Slightly Levy Focused Noble Obligations Law. The Despot was slightly confused by this.

Spoiler: Raja Nar Singh Is Important To Watch
    Show

“Why do I need to know about some random Raja in the Kingdom of Pala?” asked the boy.

“Because he is the descendent of the Kings of Bihar and has a weak claim to it,” answered the Regent. “He may go after your half-brother to get the title. And may be a problem to you in the future when you try to claim the title.”

The Despot nodded his head and tried to burn the name into his memory.

In November the Regent got permission to access the coffers to pay for four building projects. The first was to build a Castle Town in the Castle of Kundina. The second project was upgrading the Walls of the Castle of Haruppeswara.

Spoiler: Four New Building Projects
    Show

The third was another upgrade. The Walls of the Castle of Bikrampur were to be made taller and harder to pull down. And the last project was to build Castle Fortifications in the Castle of Pundravardhana.

Spoiler: Stealing From His Prisoners
    Show

A few days later Raja Nar Singh took the County of Sasaram from one of his prisoners. And after that he started a Faction in the Realm of Pala to make himself the King of Bihar.

Spoiler: Wants To Be King Of Bihar
    Show

The Despot realized that his Regent had been correct. Raja Nar Singh was going to be a problem.

Then Great King Gopala III declared a war on the Somavamsi Raj to turn the Raja Nettabhanja into a vassal.

Spoiler: Great King Gopala Wants A New Vassal
    Show

Then the Regent and the Despot received the news that Herakleios “The Cruel” had finally died in the dungeons.

Spoiler: Herakleios Dies In The Dungeons
    Show

Funny enough the artifact he owned was to be inherited by Countess Anastasia got lost in transit. The Despot wondered if it had ended up with one of the many children or maybe the widow?

Spoiler: Where Did It Go? Where Did It Go?
    Show

Of course the widow had to be remarried as it was tradition. Also, Bhogavati of the House Jagaddalid was only 21 years old and too young not to have a husband. So the Despot proposed, to his aunt in the dungeons, that the woman marry his Courtier Jayapala.

Spoiler: A Marriage Proposal
    Show

In December his aunt agreed and Bhogavati came to the Royal Court to marry Jayapala.

Spoiler: Marriage Accepted
    Show

A day later the Despot found out that the husband of the Duchess Arminestra II of Varendra was plotting to kill his little brother. No doubt trying to clear the way to the throne for his wife. The Doux wanted the title of Despot.

Spoiler: They Are Plotting To Kill His Brother!
    Show

Of course he was told to stop by the Realm’s Spy Master.

Then there was news that Count Pelagios of Nyima had founded a Faction to Increase Council Power In Nagchu. Which had nothing to do with the Despot as it wasn’t his problem.

Spoiler: Not The Despot's Problem
    Show

By the 17th of December the plot to kill his brother had been disbanded.

Spoiler: The Plot Is Cancelled
    Show

By the end of the month Dionysios Dysnomia had turned 12 and needed the second stage of his education selected. So the Regent decided on philosophy and religion. A nice, standard, well-rounded education for a future Courtier.

Spoiler: A Child Needs Their Second Stage Of Education Selected
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Despot becoming more aware of the world and the dangers around him.
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

2. - Top - End - #302

Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-Two : Anastasia "The Unfaithful" Dies

Wives And Concubines

We open this chapter in January, of the year 862 AD, with the death of the Countess Anastasia "The Unfaithful" in the dungeons at the age of 41. Still relatively young for the time period.

Spoiler: Countess Anastasia Is Dead
    Show

Two of her sons inherited her remaining holdings. The NEW Count Boethios of Kotivarsa, who had two more years before he could start causing trouble, and the NEW Count Dionysios of Sikkim.

Spoiler: Two NEW Counts In The Dynasty
    Show

The Regent suggested that the Despot send both of the new Counts a gift. Which cost more than 150 gold coins but even the young boy felt it was worth it.

Spoiler: Getting On Their Good Side
    Show

In the middle of January it was noticed that Guge had raised its levies. Looks like the Great King Basawa was now at war with Raja Har Rai. A name that the Despot found very funny.

Spoiler: Guge Goes To War
    Show

Around this time Count Dionysios passed his first law. The law most Rulers and Vassals try to pass as soon as possible - the Late Feudal Administration Law.

Spoiler: Count Dionysios Passes The Late Feudal Administration Law
    Show

To the Regent's surprise the first of many woman started to show up at the Royal Court. All of them invited by the Despot. The first was a Noble woman of the name of Devanakata of the House of Soban. A 25 year old Buddhist.

The Regent greeted her and asked her to wait in the throne room so he could get the Despot.

When he found the young boy he asked, nicely, to know what the heck was going on.

"Count Dionysios needs a wife," answered the boy. "In fact many of the people in the Court need wives or Concubines. So I have invited many women to Royal Court. Some from outside the borders. Some from within." The Despot explained that he wanted a wide choice of women for all the matchmaking he planned to do. Devanakata was just the first of MANY!

Spoiler: Devanakata Appears And The First Of Many Proposals
    Show

The first marriage proposal was sent at once. It looked like the Count would agree to marry a female Courtier named Kalyanavati. A few days later Kyra of the House of Bharuka showed up. A 25 year old woman looking for love.

Spoiler: Kyra Appears In The Royal Court
    Show

The Despot tried to get the Mayor Paschalis of Khulnar Dhap to marry one of the many single women already in the Royal Court. The man was a proper Buddhist Greek who had failed to marry and pass on his good bloodline. The man refused to accept marriage with any girl. He refused even after being bribed.

Spoiler: What A Grumpy Mayor!
    Show

But it seemed he was more then willing to take one of them as a Concubine.

Spoiler: A Concubine? SURE!
    Show

A few days later Bhani, a lowborn 19 year old woman, arrived in the Royal Court. And then a few days after that Funjin of the House of Yang, a Noble Han woman, also appeared in the Royal Court. It was at this point the Regent started to wonder just how many INVITES the Despot had sent out?

Spoiler: Bhani And Lady Funjin Appear In The Royal Court
    Show

Then the Regent was surprised, and somewhat pleased, to be offered the Han woman as his Concubine by the Despot. As he debated in his mind if he should accept two MORE women showed up.

Spoiler: The Regent Is Offered A Concubine
    Show

The first was Ronak kice Merzuban of the House of Bamiyan. A 33 year old woman who wanted to marry. The second woman was a problem. It seems the Despot had accidentally invited a woman ALREADY promised to one of his KIN!

Spoiler: Two MORE Women Appear!
    Show

"Oh no!" said the Despot. "What do I do? What do I tell her?"

"Leave it to me," said the Regent. The man greeted An of the House Vijaya and handed her a gift. "A pre-marriage gift for the Despot's future in-law. We hope that you and Count Boethios will be very happy when he comes of age." An Vijaya was pleased.

Spoiler: A Gift To A Future In-Law
    Show

Near the end of January another woman by the name of Eudokia, a lowborn 26 year old woman, arrived in the Royal Court. At the same time the Regent, Doux Ioustinos, was pleased to accept his new Concubine Yang Fujin.

Spoiler: Eudokia Appears And The Regent Accepts His Concubine
    Show

In February the Count of Sikkim accepted Kalyanavati as his wife. At the same time Mayor Paschalis accepted Syamadevi as his Concubine.

Spoiler: Two More Porposals Accepted
    Show
    [img width=1000 height=500 ]https://i.imgur.com/C21BiaF.png[/img]

Then, over the first week in February, five new women arrived. All invited to the Royal Court by the Despot. It looked like the Royal Court had a surplus of single women. The Despot had overdone it.

Spoiler: FIVE More Women Arrive
    Show

"How many women did you invite?" demanded the Regent.

"I forgot," said the Despot with a shrug.

We end this chapter with the Regent lecturing the young Ruler on taking notes.
    Last edited by Valley; 2018-04-13 at 06:38 PM.

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #303

Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-Three : Deaths And Marriage

Castle Fortifications

We open this chapter in February, of the year 862 AD, with the news that Symmachos Mahid had been murdered. He had been murdered by the Count of Qamdo who was one of his wife's vassals. The news was YEARS old.

Spoiler: News Travels Slowly
    Show

There was nothing the Despot could do about as it was an affair of the Duchess to deal with and none of his business. This reminded the Despot about Count Theophylaktos of Mangyul who was still in hiding.

Spoiler: In Hiding And Not With A Proper Heir Of His Own
    Show

Sadly the man also had no children of his OWN to be his heir. This was because his wife was still in Europe and all the kids were of her Dynasty from a earlier husband.

The Regent pointed out that the Count "Cotton- er...Count Varzak's blind wife had passed away and so the Despot proposed that the man marry Rani. He seemed okay with it.

Spoiler: Marriage Proposal
    Show

Later that month the Regent received a report from the Spy Master that Count Pelagios was trying to fabricate a claim on the Duchy of Nagchu. A dangerous idea which he was told to withdraw from.

Spoiler: Count Pelagios Plotting Something Stupid
    Show

Also during that month the Despot tried to get on the good side of Mayor Leontios "The Wise" of Yumai, who was also his Uncle, by finding a new wife for him. But it turned out that many of the women the Despot selected to marry the Mayor were the ones REFUSING the proposal!

Spoiler: The MAYOR Is Turned Down?
    Show

Near the end of month Count Varzak of Gyantse accepted Rani as his wife.

Spoiler: A Proposal Is Accepted
    Show

In March Theophanes Dysnomia needed to have his education selected. The Despot and Regent decided he would be better off studying religion.

Spoiler: A Kid's Educational Pathway Is Selected
    Show

This reminded the Regent and the Despot to send out feelers to see how the Temple Vassals were feeling about the Despot. It seemed, outside of a few, most seemed to support the Despot at this time.

Spoiler: Opinions Among Temple Vassals
    Show

Around the same time the Castle Fortifications of the Castle of Pundravardhana were completed.

Spoiler: Castle Fortifications Are Competed
    Show

A day later the Despot approved the building of a Church Town at the Temple of Durjaya. It wasn't costly but it would take more than a year.

Spoiler: The Building Of Another Church Town Is Ordered
    Show

In May the Realm mourned the death of the Bhavanagid Fortun "The Wise" of Amdo. The Despot received the County. He could have kept it if he wanted but he decided to hand it over to another.

Spoiler: Fortun Dies And Many Mourn
    Show

At first he wondered if he could give it to the widow but she was not skilled in the ways of being a landowner and didn't like the Despot. So that wasn't going to happen.

The Despot, with the Council's permission, granted the County to Dionysios Dysnomia. The man was loyal, skilled in the way of collecting money, and he deserved to have a title.

Spoiler: The NEW Count Dionysios Dysnomia
    Show

News from outside the Realm suggested that the new Count's mother, Princess Eustathia, was doing well. In fact she had become friends with Protector General Dong Xingcheng of the Western Protectorate.

Spoiler: Princess Eustathia Has Made A Powerful Friend
    Show

So we close this chapter with a lot of marriages, deaths, and politics. Same old same old.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #304

Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-Four : Marriages And Murder

SURPRISE!

We open this chapter in May, of the year 862 AD, with the Regent reporting to the Despot that the coffers had over a 1,000 gold pieces worth of wealth. Also the Despot could call up, in theory, over six thousand soldiers.

Spoiler: The Despot Is Doing Well
    Show

At this point the Despot noticed that the Regent had a sister.

"Wait!" said the Despot with a confused look. "Mayor Alexcia of Palcho is YOUR sister? I thought she was the sister to Count Varzak of Gyantse!"

Spoiler: A Little Confused
    Show

"Where did you get that idea?" asked the Regent.

"My history books," answered the Despot with a shrug.

The Regent also had his staff check up on Wanyan Zhilugu. The so-called adventurer was still poor and without soldiers. Looked like it would be a long time before anybody had to worry about them.

Spoiler: The So-Called Adventurer
    Show

Later that month Count Dionysios of Amdo passed the Late Feudal Administration Law. Always the sign of a Vassal who knows what he was doing.

Spoiler: Count Of Amdo Passed The Late Feudal Administration Law
    Show

By June the Despot was feeling like matchmaking somebody again. The Duchess Mah seemed to be the best target to match up with somebody. But she refused to marry anybody the Despot selected.

Spoiler: No Marriages Today
    Show

So the Despot tried to match up her Heir. And failed. Seemed that Naz'aktar hure Cehandar own Liege refused to allow him to be married BECAUSE he was the man's Spy Master. Likely he did not want his Spy Master, Naz'aktar, to be in debt with the Despot for finding him a wife.

In July the Pala-Somavamsi War ended when the Title the Great King WANTED was taken by another Raja. With no land to fight over there was no reason for the war.

Spoiler: The Great King Fails To Gain The Vassal He Wanted
    Show

In September the Despot was alerted to the fact that Alexandra Dysnomia wanted to get married.

Spoiler: Alexandra Dysnomia Wants To Marry
    Show

The Despot proposed the she marry Loukas Dysnomia in a matrilineal arrangement. The young man had just turned 16 and was just hanging around the Palace.

Spoiler: A Marriages Proposal
    Show

Near the middle of the month the proposal had been accepted. All children would be of her Dynasty. Which, as they were kin, was the same.

Spoiler: A Proposal Accepted
    Show

Near the end of the month it was found out that Bhogishwar of the House of Visayapati was roaming the Realm. He was the Magistros of Thakur Ganeshwar Singh of Samatata and it was clear he was trying to produce a claim on the Despot's titles!

Spoiler: Oh No You Don't!
    Show

The Despot demanded that the man disappear. There was a danger that the Regent's agents would be caught while trying to carry out the murder but that was a chance the Despot was willing to take.

Count Shaw of Lhunze was finally of age and passed his first law. Which was to shift the Nobles' Obligations towards bigger levies.

Spoiler: Count Of Lhunze Passes The Levy Shifted Noble Obligations Law
    Show

Of course he needed to get married and seemed to be okay with the lowborn Kyra.

Spoiler: Another Marriage Proposal
    Show

As the Despot waited for the reply he got a message from his Magistros. Seems Mayor Karz had improved the Despot's relationship with the Duchess Mah.

Spoiler: Good! Now Go Do This...
    Show

Not wishing to damage this new relationship the Despot then ordered the Magistros back to the Palace to work on the local Royal Court.

In October the visiting Magistros was killed by an unknown person in the streets. Seems the Magistros had been asking some questions in the carpet district and got stabbed. How sad.

Spoiler: How Horrible! *Snicker*
    Show

A few days later Count Shaw took Kyra as his wife. How happy!

Spoiler: Count Shaw Marries Kyra
    Show

Later that month a man named Eudoxios of the House of Bharuka appeared in the Royal Court. He had been invited by the Despot.

The Regent greeted the man and then went off to find the Despot. "Explain," he demanded.

Spoiler: Eudoxios Is Invited To The Royal Court And Is VERY Picky
    Show

The Despot smiled and said, "Theodosia Dysnmia wants to marry."

Spoiler: Another Marriage Accepted
    Show

But it turned out he didn't want to marry HER! Yet he WAS willing to marry Sevindik who was a lowborn woman BUT seemed to have the skills Eudoxios was interested in when it came to a wife.

So we close the chapter with a murder and a few marriages.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #305

Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-Five : A Adventurer Comes South

No. Just NO. Stop That!

We open this chapter in October, of the year 862 AD, with the Duchess Mah "The Unfaithful" leaving the Factions. In fact this forced Count Varzak to become the new leader of the Independence Faction.

Spoiler: A Review Of The Factions
    Show

This both pleased the Despot and annoyed him. It pleased him that the Duchess was dropping out, for now, but it annoyed him that the Count Varzak was still being a troublemaker.

In November news came from the north. Bad news. Wanyan Zhilugu had raised enough men and money to declare a war of Conquest for the County of Qamdo. He planned to take it from Despot Niphon.

Spoiler: Wanyan Zhilugu Is Coming South
    Show

The Despot looked over the reports the Regent's staff had brought him and chuckled. "He plans to fight me with just over two thousand warriors and 500 gold coins?"

The levies were called up and a rallying point was selected.

Spoiler: Levies Assemble!
    Show

By the 16th of November the troops were almost all together in one big army. Commander Pusyamitra was in charge of the main army with Satyavarman and Andronikos as his Flanking Commanders. Without the hired swords they had no elephants and few Special Troops. But they had a good number of archers and a good mixture of infantry. They WERE a little light on cavalry also and that worried the Regent who knew just how important the mounted branch of the military forces could be.

Spoiler: Almost Ready
    Show

This was not the final total as there were a few minor armies still on the way. But it looked like this would mostly be an infantry army.

A day later there was some surprising news that came out of the Kingdom of Pala. The Raja Nar Singh had disbanded his Faction to make himself the Ruler of Bihar. Strange. Had been pressured to give it up? Or was this some kind of plot within a plot?

Spoiler: The Raja Nar Singh Backs Down...?
    Show

In December the Castle of Bikrampur had finished the upgrading of the Castle Walls. This pleased the Despot. He felt he would need all the help he could in the upcoming conflict.

Spoiler: Bigger And Better Walls For The Castle Of Bikrampur
    Show

In January, of the year 863 AD, Count Shaw founded the Faction to Increase Council Power in Yarlung. Seems he was going to be a trouble maker but at least he was going to be somebody else's trouble maker.

Spoiler: Count Shaw Becomes A Trouble Maker For Somebody Else
    Show

Later that month the Despot got a reminder of a betrothal proposal from the Raja Marasimha "The Just" of Chera Nadu. The Raja said his son, Pelagios Dysnomia, was due to marry Valeria Dysnomia, the Despot's cousin. The Despot approved of the marriage.

Spoiler: Valeria Dysnomia Gets Married And Goes To Another Court
    Show

In mid February the Castle of Haruppeswara had upgraded its Castle Walls. Bigger, wider, and more impressive.

Spoiler: The Castle Of Haruppeswara Upgraded Its Walls
    Show

It was also around this time that the Host was finally detected by the Realm's spies and agents. It was not doing well - it was losing men to starvation. Which, from the point of view of the Despot was a GOOD thing.

Spoiler: Here They Come!
    Show

In March the Despot was told that the Monophysite Faith had overcome the Miaphysite Faith. The Despot had no idea what the two faiths were and didn't really care.

Spoiler: What Faith?
    Show

There was also the announcement of a newborn girl. Jadu Visayapati, and his wife, who the Despot had invited to his Royal Court totally by accident, now had a daughter named Asima.

Spoiler: Asima Is Born
    Show

Asima was set on the pathway of learning Buddhism. But she needed a new teacher on the hopes she would become Greek. So the Regent and Despot suggested she be taught by Sevindik. The parents accepted this change.

Spoiler: Asima's Education
    Show

A few days later the Castle in Kundina finished expanding the Castle Town. Bigger roads, stronger bridges, and larger warehouses.

Spoiler: The Castle Town In Kundina Is Expanded
    Show

Starting in March the Army of Pusyamitra, over four thousand soldiers strong, started to march north to meet the enemy. Who started bouncing around. It was as if the enemy didn't WANT to fight! But by mid April the enemy got trapped. It was too slow to escape the county before the Royal Army was going to arrive.

Spoiler: The Enemy Is Trapped!
    Show

The news of the Battle of Bolo was received on the 24th of April. The traditional exchange of arrows and missiles proved to be slightly in favor of the Despot's soldiers.

Spoiler: Battle Of Bolo
    Show

By May the enemy was on the run. The plains were perfect for the cavalry charge that the Despot's Commanders launched.

While waiting for more news Zenon and his wife gave birth to a boy named Isaias. The Regent and Despot decided the boy would study Greek culture and the Buddhist Faith.

Spoiler: Isaias Is Born
    Show

Then the Royal Court received the news of the ending of the Battle. Victory!

Spoiler: Victory!
    Show

The Royal troops had lost 87 men while the enemy had lost 562 men. And now the enemy was on the run. Something they would be doing for the rest of the war.

So we close this chapter with a few improvements to the Despot's holdings and a victory.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #306

Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-Six : Mountain Combat

Archers! Forward!

We open this chapter in May, of the year 863 AD, with the news that the County of Amdo had converted to Buddhism.

Spoiler: The County Of Amdo Is Now Buddhist
    Show

The Upadhyaya was sent to Banbar to help convert the Christians here to the Buddhist Faith also.

Spoiler: Upadhyaya Sent To Banbar
    Show

Sadly, near the end of the month a trusted servant from the Accountant Department came to the Despot with sad news. It seems like money was being taken from the treasury. It was hard to trace, with all the transactions going on, but it looked like the Regent was skimming off some coins for himself. But there was NO proof that could be used in court. Just some guesses on the servant's part to where he thought the coins were going to. The Despot thanked the man and asked him to keep silent about what was happening.

Spoiler: Money Is Disappearing And Raja Nar Singh Gets An Ally
    Show

In June the Despot received the news that Raja Nar Singh of Magadha had formed an alliance with another Raja. No doubt thinking about the future fight he would have over the throne of Bihar.

Near the end of the month the enemy Host, who had been fleeing to the northwest the whole time, found its way blocked by a massive mountain range. Trapped it tried to find a way to escape which would NOT end up in a battle.

Spoiler: Is The Enemy Trapped?
    Show

Soon the Royal Commanders decided it was time to stop dancing about and charged in.

Spoiler: Time For Battle
    Show

As the Royal Court waited for some news from the battle field the Despot got some local news in the form of a birth announcement. A daughter named Saige was born to Satyavarman Satyavarman and his wife.

Spoiler: A Baby Girl Is Born
    Show

It was decided to give Saige of the House of Bei a education on manners and courteous behavior.

In September news came from the front. The Royal Army had cornered the enemy Host and the traditional exchange of arrows had started. The Battle of Xinghu had began!

Spoiler: Battle Of Xinghu
    Show

The Regent noticed how stressed out and nervous the Despot was becoming. He decided the boy needed to get out of the Palace. "You watch the roads from the balconies too much," he told the boy. "You stay up all night waiting for the messengers to show up. You need to go out more and see the sun. Sitting inside will not help."

So the Despot was forced to go fishing. He complained the whole time. The sun was too bright. His legs hurt. He might miss something important. Nobody listened to him.

Spoiler: Catching The Small One
    Show

In the end he refused to leave the riverbanks till he had a fish. If they were going to force him to fish he could at least come back with a fish! Sadly it was a small fish and many servants giggled at its size. They even compared it to a fish caught by one of the servants the day before. The Despot was not pleased.

News did come in a few days later. The enemy's right flank has collapsed completely while the middle of the Host was crumbling. Only the left was still standing.

Spoiler: The Host Is On The Run Again
    Show

And soon the Host was all running away from the Royal cavalry. Using mounted troops in a mountain range was not the best tactic but, once again, the enemy forces were too busy running to put up a proper defense.

Around the same time Jayapala died from cancer. The Despot pretended to be sad about this but, really, had no idea who the man was. A father of one of the Counts, maybe, but which one? All his Vassals kind of looked alike to be honest. He didn't know that Jayapala had been the lover to Princess Anastasia "The Unfaithful". He hadn't been alive at the time.

Spoiler: Anastasia's Lover Dies
    Show

Finally, they received news from the front. The Battle of Xinghu was a victory. The Royal Commanders had lost 104 soldiers while the Host had lost 444 soldiers.

Spoiler: Victory!
    Show

In October the Despot sent a message to Wanyan Zhilugu asking him to give up. The reply was NOT polite and was not positive.

Spoiler: Zhilugu Refuses To Give Up!
    Show

So we close this chapter with another victory and a Adventurer who was refusing to give up.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #307

Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-Seven : Intermission

The fleet numbered in the hundreds. And it was just one fleet heading towards the newly discovered lands. Lands that belonged to the tribes as all lands did. The Mexica, Texcoca, and Tepaneca tribes knew all lands belonged to them for their Gospel told them so.

"Our parents and grandparents tell us that
    He created us, He, whose creation we are:
    Our Lord Quetzalcoatl.
    He also created the heavens, the sun,
    and the divine earth."

They had tried to be nice about it. To trade with the Strangers of the lands. But the Strangers had dismissed the beads and fathers and gold dust. Now the Triple Alliance would take what was rightful their's.

Now they would come to take their lands. They would also take the Strangers' lives for their Gods.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308

Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-Eight : I, For One, Welcome Our New Aztec Overlords

Invasion!

We open this chapter in October, of the year 863 AD, with the coming of age of Count Boethios. Which meant he could now marry An.

Spoiler: Count Boethios Is Old Enough To Marry
    Show

As the marriage was being arranged news came from the west. The European "Hot Spot" that was between the Muslims of Spain, the Catholics of Italy, and the Pagans of the North was being invaded by the Strangers from beyond the ocean. It seemed they were making it even hotter. They were burning it down.

Spoiler: What The Heck...?
    Show

And they were sacrificing whole towns to their Gods! The rumors talked of beating hearts being pulled out of screaming victims and the wearing of their skins. What evil was this?

Spoiler: The Aztec Had Come
    Show

Even the Despot, who had grown up on tales of baby eating Catholics, found many of the stories horrible. While many of the Christian Rulers were disliked by him and his family nobody felt negative feelings towards the misguided populace. Knowing the people of Europe were going to have another religious boot stomping down on their faces - well, he just felt so sad for them. Now they had four horrible religions crushing their souls into the dust.

A few days later Count Boethios passed the Title Revocation Allowed Law through his Council.

Spoiler: Count Boethios Passed The Title Revocation Allowed Law
    Show

Then near the end of the month the wedding between the Count and An was held. It was a nice piece of local news among the stories of war and horror.

Spoiler: The Count And An Have A Wedding
    Show

In November the Magistros reported that he had improved the Realm's relationships with Mayor Supratisthitavarman. Seemed picking a Mayor as his Magistros was paying off among his City Vassals.

Spoiler: Mayor Supratisthitavarman Has A Higher Opinion Of The Despot
    Show

Also, the Independence Faction led by Count Varzak had been disbanded. Seems "Cottontail" had decided to hop out again.

Spoiler: Count Varzak Backs Down - Again
    Show

Then there was news from China. Seems they had taken another Tributary State. Sultan Homayd II of the Bajanid Sultanate was now under the boot of the Ming Dynasty.

Spoiler: China Had Collared Another Ruler
    Show

"Sultan who?" asked the Despot.

So the Despot and the Regent went to the Wall Map and found where Bajanid was. A Realm rocked by three conflicts. A Realm it was unlikely the Chinese would be helping anytime soon.

Spoiler: Bajanid Looked Damaged
    Show

"They're doomed," said the Regent. "If the wars don't pull them into pieces the Chinese will likely drain them dry of money and men."

Then there was more news from the west. Another fleet of the Strangers, who called themselves Aztecs, had been seen off the Coast of Morocco. In fact there were rumors of fighting in northwest Italy AND throughout the lands of Spain!

Spoiler: More Invaders EVERYWHERE!
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Despot feeling that the known world was somewhat trapped between the Aztecs and the Chinese.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author's End Notes:

OOC: Hey! The Fan Wiki for the game said I had ten years after the first sighting before the invasions started! You lied! Oh well, poor Western Europe. The Pope is going to be pissed!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #309

Chapter Two Hundred-Seventy-Nine : Bome Under Threat

Rogue Elephant

We open this chapter in December, of the year 863 AD, with the news reaching the Despot that the Upadhyaya of Para-Lauhitya was trying to kill Ruan of Para-Lauhitya. Which was somebody else's problem and not his.

Spoiler: A Plot In A Vassal's Court
    Show

Sadly later that month a elephant went rogue and killed a few peasants. The Despot realized that trying to capture it might just put more people at risk and ordered the soldiers to kill it.

Spoiler: Dealing With A Rogue Elephant
    Show

In the end the elephant was killed, many soldiers were hurt, and the peasants were upset that one of their work elephants had to be put down. Seems that nobody was happy about the outcome.

In January, of the new year 864 AD, a report came in from the County of Bome. The enemy Host had fled into the Realm and was now putting the Castle of Bome under siege.

Spoiler: Castle Of Bome Under Attack
    Show

Shortly after this the Count Dionysios Dysnomia received a Dragon Amulet. But from where? Was it a gift from the Chinese? Did he steal it from somebody? Did he have it made for him? The Despot knew the answer would be important but where to find the answer baffled him.

Spoiler: Where Did This Artifact Come From?
    Show

Near the end of the month the Duchess Mah decided to become a member of the Increased Council Power In Kamarupa Faction. The Despot was deeply disappointed in the Duchess but knew that she could easily leave the movement just as quickly. He HAD to focus on the war. Not that he really had much control over what was happening.

Spoiler: Duchess Mah Joins The Increased Council Power In Kamarupa Movement
    Show

At this point the Army of Pusyamitra started its dance with the Host. It would try to approach it and the Host would break the siege and run. The Army would try to block the Host and the Host would return to the siege. Again and again and again.

Of course politics and other events don't stop just because there is a war going on.

For example, in February the Despot heard that Theodosia wanted to get married.

Spoiler: Theodosia Dreams Of A Wedding
    Show

Also the Increased Council Power In Nagchu was also disbanded by Count Pelagios. Once again not really his problem. But he was learning it was a good idea to keep an eye on his Vassals and his Vassals' vassals.

Spoiler: Increased Council Power In Nagchu Faction Is Disbanded
    Show

In late February Count Wanyan Yanchege of Jiuquan, father of the Adventurer and Head of the House, died and was replaced by the eldest son. Count Wanyan Gou'er of Jiuquan was now Head of the House of Wanyan.

Spoiler: The House Of Wanyan Has A New Head
    Show

By March the enemy Host finally fled Bome and entered the County of Lhatak. Which turned out to be bad luck for it. For the landscape made it hard for it to escape to the south once inside the county. It could not flee the approaching Royal Army fast enough.

Spoiler: The Host Is Trapped!
    Show

At this point, from the County of Markam, news came that the Sakellarios Dionysios had helped the people improve their infrastructure. Which was good. As long as the enemy Host didn't reach them.

Spoiler: Improvements In The County Of Markam
    Show

And in April the news came that the Battle of Gonjo had started. The enemy Host didn't even have enough Commanders to man the left flank. This was likely going to be the last battle of the war.

Spoiler: Battle Of Gonjo
    Show

So we close this chapter with a dead elephant and a sad, sad, Host.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author's End Notes:

Spoiler: WAAAAAA!
    Show

OOC: I failed to notice that during this time the Adventurer was TOTALLY willing to give up at this point. I must have come across as a bully to the poor AI at this point. "Why are you picking on me? WAAAAA!"

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty : And The Adventure Ends

Welcome to The Dungeon!

We open this chapter in April, of the year 864 AD, with the ongoing Battle of Gonjo which was going badly for the Host. Their left flank has already collapsed and the Royal missile troops have focused on the rest of the Host.

Spoiler: The Battle Continued
    Show

It didn't take much. Soon the Host was more like a mob and it was fleeing the Royal cavalry. The flat plains really helped the mounted troops chase down the enemy.

Soon the left flank of the enemy completely fled the battlefield and left the rest of the Host to their fate.

Spoiler: Victory On The Battlefield
    Show

They didn't last long. The Battle came to an end soon enough. The news was Victory! The Royal Army lost 18 men while the Host lost 431 men.

The Commanders also reported that they captured one of the Host's Commanders. Commander Yilie had been in charge of the center of the Host's battle line and had been taken while trying to protect his fleeing Liege.

Spoiler: Commander Yilie Is Captured And Released
    Show

The 32 year old Buddhist was treated well by the Royal Retinue. He had just been following his Lord into battle, after all. Why get emotional about it? In fact he was released shortly afterward. Also his Lord would not pay his ransom and nobody wanted to pay for his room and board.

At this point Zhilugu of the House of Wanyan knew that continuing to fight would be useless. In fact he had been waiting to surrender for weeks and was somewhat confused on why the third battle had even happened. Was the Despot a bully? Was he evil? What kind of monster would allow so many more men to be killed for no real reason?

Spoiler: Time For Peace
    Show

So at the same time Commander Yilie was leaving the camp his Liege was being escorted into the camp as a prisoner-of-war. Where not only would he sign the Treaty BUT he would be placed in swift prison wagon for transportation to the Palace and its dungeons.

Spoiler: The Adventure Ends
    Show

While the Regent waited for the arrival of the prisoner Duchess Mah "The Unfaithful" has become the new leader of the movement to Increase Council Power in the Kamarupa Kingdom. Which was annoying but it did mean somebody else had dropped out.

Spoiler: Increase Council Power in the Kamarupa Has A New Leader
    Show

When Zhilugu was placed in one of the cells in the Palace's dungeon the Regent went to visit him.

The prisoner's cell was a nice simple one. A pile of straw, a simple table, a chamber pot, and a nice strong door.

The Regent peeked into the cell via the tiny window in the door. "Greetings Zhilugu of the House of Wanyan. Hope you enjoy the meals. I hear the bread is allowed to get nice and stale before being served."

"When will I be released?" demanded the 23 year old man from the other side of the door.

"Never," said the Regent. "We have not asked for a ransom and we don't plan to free you anytime soon."

"Why not ransom me?" demanded the man with a narrowing of his eyes.

"Your wife has no money," said the Regent. "AND you claim the same titles as your Liege. In fact you claim the title he is HOLDING. We're not even going to bother to ask him for money. He does NOT want you coming home. And, to be honest, our spies suggest both of them seem to have a high opinion of my Liege. I think they are HAPPY you are in this cell. I mean, your wife is lusty and you are not interested in women. Why would she want you back? She even had a position on your brother's Council. Get used to it."

Spoiler: No Release For Zhilugu
    Show

As the Regent closed the tiny window and walked away he could hear the young man slam at the door with his table. "I WILL GET OUT!" he screamed as the Regent made his way up the stairs.

"I WILL GET OUT!"

By the middle of May the Royal Army entered the borders of the Realm and the levies were released. Now they could go home. Many were happy to get back to family, loved ones, and their old jobs.

Spoiler: The Levies Are Dismissed
    Show

The conflict with the Host, which had a total of three battles, had cost the Realm 209 soldiers and had cost Zhilugu's Host 1,437 soldiers. Clearly the Host had been recruited from farmers, herdsmen, and the poor with no military skills. The Royal Levies had both training and experience to their advantage. Of course, there was also the professional core of the Retinue to back them up. To be honest there was no way the Host could of won.

Spoiler: The Despot And The Realm Are Doing Well
    Show

We close this chapter with the Host having been crushed, the coffers overflowing, and the Trade Posts enjoying the profits of peace once again.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #311

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-One : The Realm's Post-War Period

Peacetime Building Projects

We open the chapter in May, of the year of 864 AD, in the Capital-County of Kamarupanagara. The Despot decided to celebrate the winning of his first war, kind of, with a major building project. After all, he could not order a party so why not order a brand new CITY?

Spoiler: A City Is Ordered To Be Built
    Show

It would take almost two years and cost over 700 gold coins but he felt it was worth it. He also ordered the upgrading of the Palace's Castle Town.

Spoiler: Upgrading A Castle Town And A Militia Training Ground
    Show

Having a lot of money left over he continued to order new projects. He also ordered the upgrade of the Militia Training Ground in the Castle of Haruppeswara. In the County of Bikrampur he ordered the expansion of the Castle Town.

Spoiler: Expanding On A Castle Town
    Show

At that point the Despot may have gone overboard as he decided to compose a book. The Book! The Book about his great bloodline. Of course, that cost him over 800 gold coins but he felt that it would be totally worth it. Future generations would want to know about his Dynasty, surely.

Spoiler: Let's Make A Book
    Show

In June his good mood was destroyed when he received the news from the Regent that his father, the Great King Gopala, had burned a woman at the stake.

Spoiler: Another Victim Burnt At The Stake By The Kingdom Of Pala
    Show

Then Count "Cottontail" Varzak joined the Faction to Increase Council Power In Kamarupa AND then took over the Leadership of the movement. Once again somewhat a mixed message. The Factions seemed to be having a hard time staying stable.

Spoiler: Count Varzak Messing With A Faction
    Show

In July Duchess Arminestra had her council pass the Religious Control Mandate Law. Not really good news - what was she planning to do with the law to her vassals and courtiers?

Spoiler: Duchess Arminestra Passes The Religious Control Mandate Law
    Show

Later that month the Despot heard the Heir to the House of Somavamsi had been killed. It was a piece of interesting news. Was he killed because he was dimwitted? Was he killed by his dimwitted sister? Was this the sign of a Family Feud or the infighting of his Father's nobles?

Spoiler: A Young Heir Is Murdered
    Show

In August the Duchess Theodosia had joined the Gavelkind Succession for the Kingdom of Khan Faction. Which made that movement the most dangerous in the Realm.

Spoiler: Duchess Theodosia Joins Gavelkind Succession For Khan Faction
    Show

A little later the Royal Retinue arrived at the Capital and was greeted by cheering crowds of loving family members. The soldiers, of course, were happy to be home with their clean barracks, warm bunks, and three semi-normal meals a day.

Spoiler: The Royal Retinue Is Back In The Capital
    Show

So we close this chapter with many buildings being made, the soldiers back home, and the Despot making his own book.
    Last edited by Valley; 2018-04-18 at 10:07 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-Two : Top Seven Military Powers

A New Military Power On The Scene

We open this chapter on the 15th of August, of the year 864 AD, in which we will list the top seven military powers of the known world. On top of the list was the invading armies of the Aztec under Huetatoani Xochitl "The Brave" who were fighting against the Umayyad Empire in Spain and just had defeated King Leonard of Burgundy in Aquitaine. As the Aztec had over one hundred sixty thousand warriors and over ten thousand gold coins it was likely he was going to win.

Spoiler: Aztec Empire
    Show

In other words soon the Aztec Empire would have vast tracts of land. Much more than just the two counties they owned at the time.

The next power on the list was the Byzantine Empire ruled by the Basilissa Romylia. She was in the middle of a Revolt and fighting off three Hosts. As the daughter of the "The Usurper" very few of her vassals like her. In other words she have over nine thousand soldiers when she SHOULD have over twenty thousand soldiers.

Spoiler: Byzantine Empire
    Show

Add the lack of funding and it could be she will not be on the list the next time we check. Who was next? We don't have to go very far. Because the next Realm on the list was the Arabian Empire!

Spoiler: Arabian Empire
    Show

Caliph Al-Mahdi "The Wicked" of the House of Abbasid was having issues. He was in two conflicts and also fighting off three invading Hosts. He was also VERY low on funding and while twelve thousand warriors SOUNDS good he could of had more if his vassals liked him more.

The next Realm, Al-Jazira, was in the same region. Caliph Mirza of the House of Mirzid is at peace and seemed to be doing very well. Over sixteen thousand warriors and money in the coffers. What more could you want?

Spoiler: Al-Jazira (Mirzid)
    Show

The next Realm on the list was to the west, in Spain, the Hispania Empire. Also known as the Umayyad Empire led by Badshah Abbad. Who was not a happy camper. He had lost one Revolt, which had formed the Kingdom of Asturias, and was trying to fight off the Aztec Empire AND force the Sheikh Husam of Vannes to be a vassal.

Spoiler: Hispania Empire
    Show

This young man, with less than ten thousand soldiers and less than 400 gold coins, was in a pickle. Normally those numbers would be okay but he was trying to hold off over a hundred thousand warriors with a broken Realm and not much in the way of support from his own vassals. It looked like the Muslim military that was once controlled all of Spain was about be crushed.

But let us move onto Italy where a new Queen rules Lombardy. The Queen Appa "The Unfaithful" of the House of Alachisling. A widow who was fighting off three different invasions of her territory with less than two thousand soldiers and a negative bank account she wasn't doing so well.

Spoiler: Lombardy
    Show

As the daughter of King Adelchis "The Monster" she was not very popular. In other words, she inherited her father's mess.

Next, for the last Realm on the military list we go to India. Where we meet The Great King Kutan of Punjab. The gay, insane, eunuch leader. He wasn't doing badly. He was in the black money-wise and had over six thousand soldiers. And even a Heir who was a family member - Ram Rai of the House of Kipchaki - but not his son. Because he had no children.

Spoiler: Punjab
    Show

So in the end we close this chapter with a new super-power in the known world who, in a few years, may take over Europe all together. But India is safe, so that's okay! So, dear readers, I close my tome, clean my pens, and turn off my oil lamp. And welcome you to return to India in the next chapter.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313

Dear readers,

Just to let you know that I am training for a new job that has me working all kinds of weird hours. So while it is easy to play a few hours of the game writing the data into understandable chapters takes longer. In other words real life is going to slow the story down. Sorry about that!
    Last edited by Valley; 2018-04-22 at 04:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-Three : The State Of The Kingdom

An Overview

We open this chapter in August, of the year 864 AD, with an overview made by the Despot Niphon of Kamarupa.

The first thing to catch his attention was that China was slowly absorbing much of the smaller Realms in Eurasia. In a way. They didn't seem to care, one way or the other, if their subject states were invaded or taken over by other Realms.

Spoiler: Chinese Subject States
    Show

In his own lands the dungeon only had two prisoners. One who had been there for seven years!

Spoiler: Prisoners And Plots
    Show

There were also two known plots - one of which was dangerously close to firing off.

Despot Niphon was doing okay. He had over six thousand soldiers under his command but held only about 400 gold coins in his coffers. At least he wasn't in debt and he had only about five years to go before he could truly take the throne and wear the three crowns which once belonged to his mother.

Spoiler: Realm Overview
    Show

The Greek Culture was growing throughout the lands while Buddhism was very much rooting its way throughout much of eastern India.

Spoiler: Greek Culture, Buddhism, And Rebellion Risks
    Show

While there were a few spots where rebellion was brewing it was unlikely any revolts would blossom under Despot's Niphon's Regency. Mostly because of the fears of being crushed and put in dungeon cells.

A few days after the review of the Kingdom the Despot received news that Commander Pusyamitra had passed away from a natural death. Which meant Alexandra, at the age of 48 years old, was a widow again. Poor thing.

Spoiler: Commander Pusyamitra
    Show

The Depot also noticed that Alexandra's 17 year old daughter, Evanthia Exotochos, was also an unmarried Greek Buddhist. So he decided to match her up with Lazaros of the House of Dysnomia.

Spoiler: Evanthia Exotochos Is Married To Courtier Lazaros
    Show

As the Despot was the Liege of both there was no wait and they were married right away.

News leaked out of the Kingdom of Lambakanna that was somewhat shocking. Prince Digasumana had failed in his invasion and had been put in the dungeons. Yet in August he was released and made a Steward. He was REWARDED for invading the Kingdom by being put on one of the Counts' Council!

Spoiler: Digasumana Is Rewarded For Failure
    Show

By late August the Despot was alerted to the fact that the military forces had two empty Commander positions.

Spoiler: Two New Military Commanders Are Selected
    Show

So the Despot selected the best military men he could find among his male Courtiers. His cousin Lazaros Dysnomia, who was freshly married, was one of the man selected. The other was Mayor Surpatisthitavarman of Itanagar who was also a pretty good man with a blade.

So we close this chapter with a overview and a few new Commanders.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #315

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-Four : A Duchess Dies

Death Comes For The Cruel

We open this chapter in September, of the year 864 AD, with Rhodanthe Dysnomia being sent off to China by her eldest brother who was also her Liege. The Despot wasn't too upset with that. One less offspring of a "Traitor" to worry about.

Spoiler: Rhodanthe Dysnomia Sent To China
    Show

Later that month the Despot also received news that Ingjerdr Ulfrsdottir had been converted to the Buddhist Faith by his Upadhyaya. This wasn't really as helpful as she was a powerless local Courtier.

Spoiler: Ingjerdr Ulfrsdottir Becomes Buddhist
    Show

In October the Despot received the Duchy of Nagchu and all other titles from Theodosia.

Spoiler: The Despot Inherits Two Titles
    Show

The woman had died a natural death at the age of 70. The woman had ruled for decades and it would not be easy to replace her.

Spoiler: The Duchess Theodosia Dies A Natural Death
    Show

The Despot looked over the Duchy of Nagchu to find a person who already owned a County within the holdings and would make a good future holder of the Duchy. The first person the Despot looked at was the Countess Tarmawirne of Tibetan Plateau. As she was only 13 years old he felt she would not be a good pick. Would she be able to hold the title? To keep it from more power adult Nobles around her?

Spoiler: The Countess Tarmawirna
    Show

The only other choice was Count Pelagios of Nyima, the bastard, of the House of Boilas. He had many claims and was, in fact, plotting to take the title. By giving him the Duchy it may disarm the man but also just make him more powerful.

Spoiler: The Count Pelagios
    Show

Still in the end the Despot decided to give the Count the Title of the Duchy of Nagchu. All members of the Council agreed with the Despot's action. Of course the result was now that the new Doux wanted a position on the Despot's Council. Which was not going to happen.

Spoiler: A NEW Doux
    Show

Funny enough this meant that the Pelagios was now plotting against himself!

Spoiler: What IS He Doing?
    Show

In November the Magistros reported that he had improved the Despot's relations with Bhikkhu Valerios of Hajo. Improving relations with the Buddhist leadership was always a good thing and the young Ruler was pleased.

Spoiler: Improved Relationship With Bhikkhu Valerios
    Show

That same month Doux Pelagios passed the Late Feudal Administration Law to strengthen his hold over his lands and vassals. Always a good first move for any Noble.

Spoiler: Doux Pelagios Passed The Late Feudal Administration Law
    Show

One of the titles the Despot had inherited from the old Duchess was her Capital the County of Xainza. Which the Despot decided to grant to Ronak of the House of Bamiyan. She was very pleased with the new title. On top of that she wanted to marry so he suggested she wed Arjunavarman.

Spoiler: The NEW Countess Ronak
    Show

About a week later she agreed to the marriage. Which made for a very happy Countess.

Spoiler: A Very Happy Countess
    Show

So we close this chapter with a new Doux and a new Countess. What will they do in the future? Will they play nice or become troublemakers? Would the NEW Doux and the NEW Countess cancel each others' plots and schemes out? Only time will tell.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-Five : House Cleaning

Europe In Chaos

We open this chapter in December, of the year 864 AD, with news from Europe that the Aztec had started another war of conquest. Their current enemy was now King Barthelemi II of Aquitaine.

Spoiler: The Aztecs In Europe
    Show

It was likely the Aztec would win this Holy War as they had won the last two. There was really nothing to suggest otherwise. The Muslims and Christians were forming Defensive Pacts against the Aztec Empire. These newly formed pacts were small but it was likely they would grow larger as other Realms joined in.

In the end the Despot was more interested in what was happening among his own Vassals and his own people than what was happening to the Europeans.

In fact later that month the Doux Pelagios of Nagchu founded the new faction for Gavelkind Succession in Kamarupa. A horrible idea from the point of view of the Despot. Spread out the titles? Weaken the Kingdom? What a silly idea.

Spoiler: Doux Pelagios Founded Gavelkind Succession For Kamarupa
    Show

But in the end Pelagios was not the greatest threat. The most powerful threat in the Realm was Ariminestra.

Spoiler: List Of Threats To The Despot
    Show

On the other hand Duchess Arminestra II of Varendra was not THAT much of a threat. Less then a thousand warriors and only ONE holding. It was unlikely she would take the titles she claimed without many allies and many hired swords.

Spoiler: Duchess Arminestra ISN'T Really Much Of A Threat
    Show

Around this time the new Countess of Xainza passed the Late Feudal Administration Law. A good sign from a new Vassals but also kind of boring.

Spoiler: The NEW Countess Passes The Late Feudal Administration Law
    Show

So the Despot's attention focused to the west, to the Kingdom of Pala, to see what those troublemakers were up to. One of them, Raja Nar Singh of Magadha, was causing problems again.

Spoiler: Raja Nar Singh Still Wants The Kingdom Of Bihar
    Show

He had founded, again, the Raja Nar Singh for Bihar Faction. No doubt pissing off the Despot's two brothers - both of which had claims on the Kingdom of Bihar.

By the year 865 AD the Despot Niphon had turned 12 and had to select his new stage of education. After a discussion with the Regent the Despot decided on a military education. Both had decided that the future of the Realm was likely going to be built on blood and fire.

Spoiler: Despot Niphon Turns 12 Years Old
    Show

In February the Despot received news that Eustratios Dysnomia was now Spymaster for Nattadevi Lohi which made his Cousin a powerful kin in the far-off Court of Bhakkar. The only problem was that Eustratios was Heir to the County of Amdo. Which meant his Cousin would be returning to the Realm in the future.

Spoiler: Cousin Eustratios Becomes A Spymaster
    Show

This brought his other Cousin, Chet Dysnomia, to the Despot's notice. She had just turned 16 years old and that meant she was available for marriage. So he proposed a marriage with Shah Ghoshfarn of Khotan. Where she was also be nice and far away from the Royal Court.

Spoiler: Cousin Chet Can Now Marry
    Show

As he waited for a reply he received a request from the Court Physician Zenon for a collection of new books. To help improve his skills. It would cost money but the Despot had over a 1000 gold coins available so felt it was worth it.

Spoiler: Zenon Wants Some New Books
    Show

In March the marriage proposal had been accepted and Chet left north for her new life in Khotan.

Spoiler: The Marriage Proposal Is Accepted
    Show

By the end of March Zenon reported that he was very happy with his new books. The books were very helpful and Zenon already had new ideas he wanted to try out on his patients.

Spoiler: Zenon's New Books Turn Out To Be Very Helpful
    Show

We close this chapter in May with Bhikkhu Adrianos starting a movement to make Doux Pelagios the new Ruler of Kamarupa. This upset and alarmed both the Despot and the Regent.

Spoiler: Bhikkhu Adrianos Is Being A Trouble Maker
    Show

The Despot found himself becoming more and more upset at those who would try to pull the Realm apart. It seemed more "House Cleaning" was needed.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-Six : Dealing With The Factions

One Of The Spymaster's Agents

We open this chapter in May, of the year 865 AD, with the news that the County of Kamarupanagara was prospering. It was suggested that more land be cleared. But the Despot turned down the idea as the cost was more than what he had in his coffers. In other words the price tag was more than the 1083 gold coins he had in the treasury!

Spoiler: Clear More Land?
    Show

A few days later Euphemios Dysnomia became 12 years old and needed the second stage of his education picked out for him. As he was a rival of the Despot the young Ruler decided Euphemios should study bookkeeping and administration.

Spoiler: A Rival's Education
    Show

"But my Liege," said the Regent, "he isn't really suited for being a future steward."

"I know," said the Despot. "I don't want a troublemaker who is GOOD at his job."

"I see," said the Regent with a nod. The Despot, in other words, was trying to sabotage his Rival's future.

In June the Spymaster reported that she finally had something on Duchess Arminestra. The Despot told his Spymaster to use the information to "Discourage" the Duchess from dealing with the Factions.

Spoiler: The Spymaster Has A Chat With The Duchess Arminestra
    Show

The Duchess caved in pretty fast as her reply was delivered to the Palace within a week. She promised to stay out of the movements.

Spoiler: Duchess Arminestra Promises To Remove Herself From The Factions
    Show

In fact the very next day she disbanded her own Faction for Gavelkind Succession in the Kingdom of U-Tsang. The Despot was very pleased.

Spoiler: Duchess Arminestra Disbands Her Faction
    Show

In July Doux Pelagios decided to join the Faction to Increase Council Power In Kamarupa. Of course, he wasn't a Council member but when did logic stop the Nobles and Vassals from being trouble makers?

Spoiler: Some Changes Within The Factions
    Show

About a week later the Duchess left the Faction for Gavelkind Succession in the Kingdom of Kham. Once again the Despot, who saw the Duchess as the only real threat among the Royal Family, was very pleased.

Spoiler: What Is Duke Saua Doing?
    Show

In August the Despot and his staff was alarmed by the news that the Duke Saua had troops on the northern border. But it turned out he was in a war, one he losing, against the Khagan Ituk of Uyghur.

Spoiler: Oh - He Is Losing A War
    Show

The Khagan had more men, more allies, and more military talent. Which made the Despot all the more happier to have such a buffer as the Duke between India and the Steppes. The man and his tiny Realm made a great "meat shield".

Near the end of the month a large number of people from a religious minority asked permission to settle in Kamarupanagara. While this would likely increase the Despot's tax income it would also cause local problems with the religious Vassals. The Despot turned down their petition. He wasn't as open minded as past Rulers.

Spoiler: The Despot Refuses A Reigious Petition
    Show

In September the Castle of Haruppeswara reported that they had finished making their Militia Training Ground.

Spoiler: The County Of Haruppeswara Finished Their Militia Training Ground
    Show

The Despot noticed that, while the County had a Trade Post, it had no CITY! A city on the Silk Road would greatly increase his income. So he decided to spend the gold needed to build one.

Spoiler: The Despot Pays For A New City To Be Built
    Show

On top of that he then ordered the County build a Fort to help protect the region. He remembered how many times bandits had shown up in the past along the Silk Road. And how his mom had been a victim of such bandits.

Spoiler: The Despot Also Orders A New Fort Be Made
    Show

So we close this chapter with more public projects and the Factions becoming somewhat weaker.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-Seven : Long Term Planning

The Children Are Our Enemies!

We open this chapter in September, of the year 865 AD, with the news that Doux Andronikos of Yarlung has passed the Late Feudal Administration Law. The Despot was debating if to match the man up with a wife when the Regent suggested that may not work.

Spoiler: Doux Andronikos Passed The Late Feudal Administration Law
    Show

"He is interested in men, my Liege," pointed out the Regent. "He isn't going to agree to any marriage proposal you suggest anyway."

"But he needs a good wife!" remarked the Despot. "He has NO people skills."

"Nonetheless," replied the Regent, "he isn't a fan of yours and he isn't going to wed any match you suggest."

As if to prove the Regent right the Doux, a few days later, joined one of the Factions.

Spoiler: And Then The Doux Joined A Faction
    Show

Later that month the Spymaster was sent to the County of Nyima. It was hoped that she could help the Doux Pelagios understand the need to withdraw from the Factions.

Spoiler: The Spymaster Spies On Doux Pelagios
    Show

In other words she was looking for blackmail material.

By the end of the month the Despot noticed that he was growing stronger. All the running and climbing was helping him develop muscles.

Spoiler: The Despot Gets Stronger
    Show

At one point the Despot started to pick on Theophanes, one of the offspring of one of the "Traitors", just for the fun of it. The problem was that in October the boy punched back, hitting the Despot right in the nose, and they became RIVALS.

Spoiler: The Despot Gets Punched In The Nose
    Show

Later that month Kyros Dysnomia, a son of a "Traitor" but not a rival, required the second stage of his education mapped out. The Despot decided the boy should focus on philosophy and religion. Once again picking studies the boy was ill equipped to deal with.

Spoiler: Kyros Is Given A Useless Education
    Show

The Despot had decided that marrying off much of his family was not working as well as he had hoped. Many of them were in danger of returning to the Royal Court or one of the County Courts. So why not also make them ill prepared for a life of politics and war?

Near the end of October the Castle of Bikrampir reported that the expansion of the Castle Town was finished. The roads were wider, the bridges stronger, and housing expanded.

Spoiler: The Castle Of Bikrampir Upgrades Its Town For The Second Time
    Show

So we close this chapter with the Despot realizing that he needed to work harder to make sure that his position, when he finally was old enough to rule, was as strong as it could be. Family members had to be sent far away from the Royal Court OR badly educated OR too weak to threaten him. Or all three.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-Eight : Cities And Forts

Medieval Wooden Fort

We open this chapter at the end of October, of the year 865 AD, with the Despot looking over the County of Kundina. A county he controlled on the Silk Road. With one Trade Post, one Castle, and one Temple. No cities and not even a fort to help protect the caravans.

Spoiler: Working On The County Of Kundina
    Show

So he sent the funds to build both a NEW city and a wooden fort to help protect that part of the Silk Road.

As the Capital-County of Kamarupanagara still had building projects in progress Sakellarios was sent there to help oversee and speed them up. After all there was the city being built along with the expansion of the Palace's Castle Town. If the Sakellarios could help the crews work faster then all the better.

Spoiler: Sakellarios Oversees The Capital Projects
    Show

In November Doux Andronikos joined the Faction to bring Gavelkind Succession in the Kingdom of Kham. Once again, it was as if the Vassals and Nobles had no clear goal but were trying a dozen plots to gain power. Even when some of these plots would weaken or damage some of their own plots.

Spoiler: Doux Andronikos Joined The Gavelkind Succession Of Kham
    Show

Later in the month the Despot was told that Count Shaw of Lhunze was plotting to kill Count Varzak of Gyantse. As much as the young Ruler would have LIKED that to happen he allowed his Spymaster to demand Count Shaw cancel his scheming.

Spoiler: I GUESS It Should Be Stopped
    Show

Anyway, it would have likely backfired in some way if he had allowed the plot to fire off. Likely a Family Feud among the members of the House of Vijaya.

In December the Despot reviewed his account books and found he was doing well. A yearly income of over 800 gold coins was pretty good. More than half of it was coming from the Silk Road.

Spoiler: Trade Is Good
    Show

Later that month both the Castle Town for the Palace AND the new City of Manikuta were completed.

Spoiler: A Castle Town And A City Are Completed
    Show

Now the Despot was the Baron of Manikuta. The problem was he could not HAVE a city as one of his holdings. So he had to give it up to somebody. He selected Courtier Eudoxios of the House of Bharuka who was not really anybody of import. Which was perfect as the Councilors had no issue with giving him the title of Mayor.

Spoiler: A NEW Mayor Is Made
    Show

It also improved the new Mayor's opinion of the Despot. Which was also good.

The Despot then realized that the Capital-County didn't have a Fort to help protect the holdings. He ordered one made at once!

Spoiler: The Despot Orders A New Fort Built
    Show

So we close this chapter with many projects being finished and the Despot gaining a new City Vassal.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #320

Chapter Two Hundred-Eighty-Nine : Know Your Nobles

Let's Look At The Flow Chart

We open this chapter in December, of the year 865 AD, with the Despot asking about the Ayudha Kingdom. A Kingdom the Despot had decided would be the future enemy of his Realm. Because the Realm could not go East and going North was silly - much of the lands there were underdeveloped - and going South would get everybody wet. So WEST it was.

Spoiler: The Ayudha Kingdom
    Show

Great King Nihaal was the new, young, Ruler of the Kingdom of Ayudha. He was a people's person but that was about it. He knew nothing about the drawn sword nor the hidden dagger. He wasn't very good with money either. He wasn't even married yet. His army looked dangerous but that was about it.

In 866 AD news came from Spain. The Aztec had wiped out hundreds of Europeans in the city of Cordoba for daring to call their city the "Jewel of the World". Even the Despot, who as a teenager sometimes lost his temper with other teens, found the news horrible. He was happy it was unlikely the Aztec would ever make it all the way to Asia.

Spoiler: Aztecs In Spain
    Show

While working on the book about his Dynasty the master scribes suggest the young Despot dig up some graves of the family. He refused of course. What kind of weird idea was that?

Spoiler: Nope - Not Even
    Show

In March a Courtier came to the Despot and the Regent. The man was named Jadu and he requested to go to the Ming Empire to bring glory to the Kingdom of Kamarupa. He begged to be allowed to go and improve relations with the Emperor.

Spoiler: Jadu Wants To Visit The Ming Empire
    Show

"Go forth my man," replied the Despot with a smile. "With my Blessing!"

As the Courtier left the throne room the Despot turned to his Regent and whispered, "Who was that guy?"

The Regent sighed. "You just sent an unknown Courtier to impress the Ming?"

"Errr..."

"You need to learn who your Vassals and Nobles and Courtier are," pointed out the Regent with a frown. "You do know he is a slow, right? And likes to get into fistfights?"

Spoiler: The Courtier Jadu
    Show

"Uh oh..."

In May the Sakellarios, who was now idle, was sent to the County of Haruppeswara to help with the many projects being carried out there.

Spoiler: Overseeing The Projects In Haruppeswara
    Show

Soon afterwards the Courtier Alexandra, the woman who had been a Concubine and married twice, died a natural death.

Spoiler: Alexandra Passes Away
    Show

A few days later the Despot, while studying, noticed something in the court records.

"Wait!" he exclaimed to the staff and the Regent. "Prince Digasumana is in our REALM? I thought he was employed by the Kingdom of Lambakanna?"

"Why would the Kingdom he tried to invade employ him?" asked the Regent looking confused. "They defeated him, jailed him, released him, and he became a vassal of the Count Shaw of Lhunze."

"Oh...Count Shaw is one of our Nobles?" asked the Despot.

Spoiler: Prince Digasumana Is One Of My Nobles?
    Show

"Yes," said the Regent with a shake of his head. "HE is a vassal of Doux Andronikos of Yarlung. AND tomorrow I am making you write down the names of all your Vassals, Nobles, and Courtier one hundred times. And I want it to be legible too."

"Crap," said the Despot to himself.

In August the Duchess Mah had her Council pass the Absolute Rule Law. She may have been a depressed woman who loved her food but you had to be impressed by her unwavering focus on gaining power within her own holdings.

Spoiler: The Duchess Mah Passes The Absolute Rule Law
    Show

"Be careful of the House of Vijaya," warned the Regent. "Their family has become powerful under your family's guidance. But that will not stop them from trying to take the thrones from you if they think they can."

So we close this chapter with the Depot trying to understand the flow of power and duty within his own Realm and improving greatly his own penmanship.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety : Wheels Within Wheels

I Spy With My Little Eyes...

We open this chapter in August, of the year 866 AD, with the Despot deciding that many of the Counties he owned needed more improvements. Also he had over a 1000 gold coins and they didn't help the Realm by just sitting in the coffers. They were best used when...they were used.

So he paid for the new Market for the City of Manikuta. He also ordered the building of a Keep in the Castle of Pundravardhana.

Spoiler: Building A Town Market And A Keep
    Show

He waited till September, allowing some of the coffers to refill, before expanding on the Training Grounds in the Castle of Kamarupanagara.

Spoiler: Upgrading The Training Grounds Of Kamarupanagara
    Show

Also in September the movement to make Doux Pelagios the Ruler for the Kingdom of Kamarupa was disbanded by Bhikkhu Adrianos. This confused the Despot but he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. He was happy to have one less Faction. It was doubtful Doux Pelagios was as pleased.

Spoiler: Bhikkhu Adrianos Disbands His Faction
    Show

The Despot also glanced at the information on the folks in the Palace dungeon. He noticed that the Adventurer Zhilugu had claims. One of which was his older brother's title. Releasing the prisoner would cause issues within the House of Wanyan. So of course the Despot decided to ransom the man back to his family for 10 gold coins. And it looked like the Count might fall for it!

Spoiler: The Despot Decides To Ransom Off Wanyan Zhilugu
    Show

As he waited for the reply, and the money, the Spymaster reported that Countess Ronak was trying to steal the Duchy of Nagchu away from Doux Pelagios. Of course the Spymaster asked her to stop it.

Spoiler: The Countess Ronak Is Told To Stop Plotting To Take The Duchy Of Nagchu
    Show

He was also notified that a Minor Title, Seneschal, was available. The organizer of feasts and entertainment was mostly an honorary title with a small salary and some prestige to it. But useful to help improve a relationship with somebody who already had a good opinion of you.

Spoiler: Count Varshasb Is Given The Minor Title Of Seneschal
    Show

Such as Count Varshasb of Sakya. After receiving the Minor Title his opinion was just a tad better. But a tad better was good enough for the Despot.

Then the Doux Pelagios of Nagchu offered to make a deal with the Despot. It seemed he wanted Countess Ronak directly under him as a vassal. And was willing to owe the Despot a favor in return.

"He wants to control her," said the Regent looking over the request. "To stop her scheming."

"If she plans to plot against him the fact that he is her direct Liege will not stop her," remarked the Despot. "This is a useless move on his part."

"The question is do you want to give him control over her in return of having a favor hanging over his head?" stated the Regent, getting to the meat of the matter.

Spoiler: Doux Pelagios Wanted Countess Ronak As His Vassal
    Show

"Yes," said the Despot with a grin. And so the Countess became a vassal of the Doux in return of the Doux owing the young Ruler a favor. Which pleased the Doux and increased his opinion of the Despot.

Spoiler: The Doux Now Owed The Despot A Favor
    Show

Later that month it turned out the Theoktistos of Dimapur was trying to kill Count Varzak. Of course the Spymaster was told to stop that plot also.

Spoiler: Somebody Was Trying To Kill Count Varzak...Again
    Show

"Nobody seems to like the Count," murmured the Despot as he looked over the letter. "What does he do to piss so many people off? You know, besides me."

The Regent just shrugged.

Soon the reply from Count Wanyan came via a lone rider. He had agreed to pay for his brother's release. And he was polite about it also, calling the Despot "strong".

Spoiler: Count Wanyan Sent The Money To Release His Brother
    Show

What made it all the more humorous to the Depot was just how much the released brother disliked his older brother. And wanted his titles.

Spoiler: Future Problems? Let's Hope SO!
    Show

So we close this chapter with a powerful Doux owing the Despot a favor and the young Ruler placing a hungry black sheep back into the House of Wanyan. Well, a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-One : Tavern Talk

More Beer Please!

The tavern, known by the natives as "The Drunken Monkey" was busy. The evening had come and so had the customers. Farmers and laborers came in to buy a clay pot or two of cheap brew for their family's dinner. Local businessmen came in to gossip and chat with fellow Guild members over mugs of wine. Artists came in to complain about how nobody understood art anymore and how depressed they were. Travelers came in to wash the dust off their feet and maybe spend the night in a crowded attic room with a dozen other snoring men.

The three men sat in their normal spot, a table in the corner, close to the kitchen. Elders of their village, these men were respected and left alone by all but the staff who would sometimes bring them a fresh pot of local beer and another plate of tiny fish pies.

Spoiler: Tavern Food
    Show

"So," said Belen after enjoying one of the pies, "hear anything new lately? All my information is old."

Belen was an old soldier who had retired to become a farmer. It was said he could easily kill a men at 100 yards with a bow and arrow. But he had never shown anybody at the village this skill. He refused to even go on tiger hunts.

"I heard that last September the daughter of Raja Nar Singh of Magadha had died at birth," whispered Ezio as if saying such a thing could get him into trouble. "You know the Raja of Magadha - the one who wants the Kingdom of Bihar. His grandfather or great-grandfather use to hold the title or something like that."

Spoiler: Ratnadevi Pala Dies
    Show

Ezio was known for his sharp eyes and paranoid nature. When you needed a watchmen or a scout he was the man you wanted to hire. Sadly he was also as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs and had a habit of calling out wolf when, in fact, there was no danger at all. Which is why he did finally became a farmer.

"Old news," said the third elder. Philip had been a member of the cavalry before he had retired and had become a farmer. It was said he would nap on the side of the field while his team did all the work. Many people went to him when they wanted advice about their horses.

"What is more interesting is how many people keep on dropping out of the movements," Philip added with a knowing nod. "Doux Pelagios had to become leader of one movement and Doux Andronikos the leader of another."

Spoiler: Factions Are Getting Weaker
    Show

"Yeah," said Ezio with a shrug, "but it is a mixed blessing, now, ain't it? Maybe some fancy pants Nobles left the Factions but the Factions are still THERE. Don't help the Despot non, now do it?"

"I say it is a good thing," stated Philip with a half-hearted glare at the others. "The movements become weaker the less members they have."

The other two elders just shrugged and sipped their beers.

"What is REALLY important," remarked Belen, "was the new city built in the County of Haruppeswara. This boy loves his projects. Good for the people. Jobs and housing. Always welcome, ain't it?"

Spoiler: The City Of Dibarumukh Is Completed
    Show

The other two elders agreed and sipped their beers.

"But why give it to the lowborn boy?" asked Ezio. "I mean, he was three years old and no skills."

Spoiler: The NEW Mayor Isaias
    Show

"Because his dad was the Court Physician Zenon," answered Philip while picking up one of the fish pies. "The Despot figures maybe the boy will grow up to be like the father. Keep him in the Realm and maybe get a future Doctor in the deal." He took a bite out of the pie and chewed.

Belen nodded and added, "Then the Despot sent the Count Dionysios of Amdo to Kundina to help with the building projects there! That man is never idle. Hard worker him."

Spoiler: The Councilor Is Never Idle
    Show

"I don't trust him," said Ezio. "Son of a traitor. Bad blood. Can't get away from bad blood. Mark my word you can't trust him."

The other two elders just shrugged and sipped their beers.

Belen gestured to the staff to bring over a fresh pot of beer and burped.

Philip waited for the staff to deliver the pot and withdraw before adding, "There was the Doux Pelagios disbanding his Faction. That wasn't a mixed blessing. That was a good thing for the Despot."

Spoiler: Doux Pelagios Disbanded His Faction And Trouble In Pala
    Show

"Aye," said Ezio. "But you heard the rumor that came out of Pala? A independent movement had formed. That's bad."

"It's not bad," mumbled Belen after refilling his mug, "till it becomes the Despot's problem. Right now the problem belongs to his father. The Great King."

The other two elders snorted and rolled their eyes. Few within the Realm were impressed by the Family of Pala.

"At least the Bhikkhus seem to have good opinions of the boy," pointed out Ezio as he tasted the fresh beer in his own mug.

Spoiler: The Despot Had Impressed The Buddhists
    Show

None of the other elders could argue that point. The Despot seemed to have won the Buddhists over.

"On the other hand his two uncles are not too happy with him," said Ezio with a snicker.

Belen shook his head. "Well, Prince Eusebios has been in a dungeon cell for...seven...eight years?"

"True that," said Philip after tasting his beer to wash down another tiny fish pie. "I hear he went insane."

"The prisoners always go insane," pointed out Ezio with a shrug. "What else they going to do in the dungeons?"

Spoiler: A Crazy Prince And A Wise Mayor
    Show

"And Mayor Leontios The Wise was wise enough not to get involved with the rebellion," joked Belen.

"Mayors can't do much in the way of plotting and scheming and rebelling," remarked Philip.

The other two elders agreed and sipped their beers.

Ezio looked about, as if worried somebody may overhear him, then added, "I hear Princess Eustathia is doing well as the Concubine of a Ming General."

Spoiler: A Far Away Princess
    Show

"True," said Belen with a nod. "I hear she isn't as mad at the Despot as she use to be too."

Philip looked around the tavern, acting in some ways as paranoid as Ezio, and said, "I hear the Raja of Shantideva Raj has joined that Independence Faction in Pala."

Spoiler: Independence Faction In Pala Gains A Powerful Member
    Show

Belen nodded and softly added, "Makes sense. His family use to have a Realm of their own before the Pala and the Dysnomia started to nibble pieces of it off over the decades. I would say he hates both Houses."

"When the Despot gains the Throne of Pala that Raja WILL be one of his problems," pointed out Ezio.

"True," replied Belen. Philip nodded in agreement.

The three elders were silent for a moment before they each took a fish pie and ate it.

"Hear about Dionysios Dysnomia?" asked Belen after a few more moments of silence.

"Aye," said Ezio with a smile. "Poor fool."

"Coming of age just to have the Despot suggest you marry somebody in Europe," chuckled Belen.

Spoiler: Dionysios Dysnomia Will Soon Be Going To Europe
    Show

"A matrilineal marriage proposal at that!" snickered Philip.

All three elders laughed and sipped their beers.

So we close this chapter with a little visit to a tavern and a few old men gossiping like drunken monkeys.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-Two : Marriages and Titles

The Daily Game Of Politics

We open this chapter in the middle of December, of the year 866 AD, with the Despot receiving the news that Count Wanyan had made his younger Adventurer brother a Commander. On paper that wasn't a bad idea. Zhilugu was a skilled military man. But the man also felt he should be Head of his Family House.

Spoiler: Commander Zhilugu
    Show

"The Count of the House of Wanyan is either an idiot or likes to play with fire," stated the Despot to his staff.

Later that mouth the marriage proposal between Dionysios and Liga was accepted and the young man ended up in Germany.

Spoiler: Honeymoon In Germany
    Show

"I wonder how the Pope feels about a Buddhist living among the Pagans?" pondered the young Ruler.

In fact Pope Clemens II "The Holy", a Italian, disliked the Despot and, being a zealot, disliked all other Religions. On top of that he was a powerful Ruler, owning many titles, controlling many holdings, and even having over two thousand Christian soldiers. Too bad he lost half his face. It was unknown if this had been an accident or from fighting in combat. It is unlikely he would be able to do anything to either the German Pagans, the Spanish Muslims, or the Aztec Sun worshipers.

Spoiler: The Italian Pope
    Show

The Catholic Church was doing well for itself. It's Moral Authority had gone up slightly even though there were many other Religions which were more powerful and bigger.

Spoiler: List Of The Top Seven Religions
    Show

The Aztec invaders had not done as much damage as one may think to the Church. Most of the lands taken by the invaders had been Sunni territories in Spain and France.

In January, of the year 867 AD, the Protostrator reported that Commander Supratisthitavarman had improved his organizationally skills. Which meant any army he was in command of would move fast. And retreat fast too.

Spoiler: Commander Supratisthitavarman Has Improved His Skills
    Show

In February the Protostrator discovered a man of great military skill called Nikodemos. Sadly there was no empty Commander position available. So the Despot did the next best thing. He looked for a woman for the man to marry.

Spoiler: Nikodemos Would Make A Good Commander IF We Had A Empty Position
    Show

While searching he was brought news that Doux Pelagios had made Countess Ronak his Designated Regent. "Talk about playing with fire," mumbled the Despot to himself.

Spoiler: Countess Ronak Is Doux Pelagios NEW Designated Regent
    Show

A few days later he found a available young Greek woman. Leontia was a lowborn who wanted to get married but was pretty ugly. It looked like Doux Pelagios had no problem with the marriage.

Spoiler: A Bride For Nikodemos Is Found
    Show

Then Count Varshasb of Sakya died from complications related to Gout. His son became Count Sangrama. The young man had a good opinion of the Despot so there was no problems there.

Spoiler: The NEW Count Of Sakya
    Show

But his skills were so-so and he was also sick at the time. So who knew how long he might be Count?

The Despot was thinking about helping the widow Romane Vijaya find a new husband but the Regent shot that idea down. "She likely would not like that. She is more interested in women than men. Just let her be."

Spoiler: Romane Of The House Of Vijaya
    Show

"But...she is a Greek Buddhist and only 18! It would be a waste to NOT marry her to SOMEBODY!"

"Some things are best left alone," pointed out the Regent. This just confused the Despot but he agreed to let things slide.

Jadu had come back from China but seemed to be hyperactive. He talked about China all the time and, to be honest, it was getting annoying. So when Jadu asked to return to China the Despot gave him the okay. Not only did Jadu go but he took his WHOLE family with him.

Spoiler: Jadu Gets To Go Back To China
    Show

And this seemed to PLEASE the Ming. Gaining the Despot even more grace with their Emperor.

Later that month the marriage proposal was accepted. Leontia and Nikodemos were quickly married.

Spoiler: Nikodemos And Leontia Get Married
    Show

Now before we close this chapter, my readers, let me pass on some information to you. As you may know living on the Silk Road can be very good for your treasury. But sometimes it can also be dangerous. Bandits seem to sometimes swarm over the Silk Road. And traders also bring illness.

For example Camp Fever was in Europe. No doubt the Byzantine Empire was having issues with the Fever as their Nobles isolated themselves within their Castles.

Spoiler: Camp Fever In Europe
    Show

And Small Pox was slowly following the Silk Road within India. No doubt many of the rich and powerful would soon start to lock themselves away while leaving the common populace to deal with it on their own.

Spoiler: Small Pox In India
    Show

This information is just something I am passing on to you. Not foreshadowing. Oh no. Just for your information. Just daily life in the Middle Ages.

And so we close the chapter with many marriages, many skilled military men, and the fact that Small Pox was now within the Realm.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-Three : The Fine Details

Close The Gates!

We open this chapter in March, of the year 867 AD, with the Doux Andronikos gaining the nickname "The Young". While he was 17 years old it was somewhat a strange nickname for a Noble.

Spoiler: Doux Andronikos The Young
    Show

The Despot also noticed that the Doux's mother, the Despot's Grand Aunt and Spymaster, had a somewhat so-so opinion of her Liege. That did NOT please the young Ruler. One wanted to have a Spymaster who was solidly on your side. So he sent her a gift of money.

Spoiler: Keeping The Spymaster Happy
    Show

It helped increase her opinion of the Despot and that made him feel better. And safer.

In March Count Dionysios of Sikkim founded the new Faction for Gavelkind Succession in the Kingdom of U-Tsang.

Spoiler: Count Dionysios Founded The Faction For Gavelkind Succession In U-Tsang
    Show

The Despot looked over the Factions currently in existence and promised to himself to watch all those who were either Leaders or Members of those movements. There, before him, were all the Trouble Makers in his Realm.

The Despot was also informed by agents and spies within the Kingdom of Pala that the Great King, his newest wife, and his Royal Court had isolated themselves in the Palace. They had, in other words, closed the gates and cut themselves off from the rest of the world.

Spoiler: The Great King Had Abandoned The Peasants
    Show

This measure had failed as Gopala III was ill with the Small Pox. He was being treated, of course, but add this to being cut off from the people and this would hurt his ability to rule. Greatly. And Small Pox was a deadly illness and those who caught it were normally given a 50-50 chance of death.

Later that month the City of Sadiya was finished in the County of Kundina. A day later he ordered the building of the Town Market. He wanted to make sure the next Mayor had something to work with before handing it over to them.

Spoiler: The City Of Sadiya Is Finished
    Show

To the Despot the man to put in charge was easy to pick. Nikodemos was given the City to run.

Spoiler: The NEW Mayor Nikodemos
    Show

Which increased the NEW Mayor's opinion of the Despot even more so. Too bad he knew nothing about money matters but maybe the new Mayor could handle any bandits who showed up.

Near the end of the month Count Sangrama had passed the Title Revocation Allowed Law. Not the first law most Nobles and Vassals passed when they came to power but not unusual.

Spoiler: Count Sangrama Passed The Title Revocation Allowed Law
    Show

In April Doux Andronikos of Yarlung did something that could end his life. He started to fabricate a claim on the Kingdom of U-Tsang. Of course he was told to stop. If he refused...

Spoiler: Doux Andronikos Was Scheming Against The DESPOT!
    Show

A little later that month the Protostrator Eustathios came to the Despot with a suggestion. It seemed there was an empty Commander position and he pointed out that Mayor Nikodemos would make a excellent person to put in the position.

Spoiler: There Was An Empty Spot Within The Military
    Show

The Despot agreed.

Spoiler: Mayor Nikodemos Becomes A Commander
    Show

By May the Doux Andronikos had backed out of his plot to claim the Kingdom of U-Tsang.

The Despot was also alerted to the fact that Duchess Arminestra II of Varendra had received a new Dragon Amulet. Nobody knew what it did or who had created it. They just know she had it.

Spoiler: Where Did The Amulet Come From?
    Show

"Is it from the Chinese?" demanded the Despot.

The staff did not know.

"How much did it cost her to have it created?" asked the Despot.

The staff did not know.

"Does anybody know anything?" commented the Despot with a sigh.

"I have some NEW information," remarked the Regent as he handed a piece of paper to his Liege.

"Seems the Khagan Basbuga of the Bahadirid Khaganate has a Peace Treaty with the Ming," continued the Regent as the Despot looked over the paper. "They are the only ones, besides us, who have such a treaty with them."

Spoiler: Bahadirid Khaganate Has A Peace Treaty With The Chinese
    Show

"Why would they do such a thing?" murmured the Despot. "They are not as close to the Ming as we are."

"Well," said the Regent, "it may be how near they are to the Chinese Western Protectorate. They may have felt a need to be on the Ming's good side."

The Despot nodded and returned the tiny piece of paper. The Regent's logic made sense.

Later in the month a baby girl was born to Satyavarman Satyavarman and Bei Yanmu. Xiao, of course, needed her the future of her education picked out.

Spoiler: Courtier Xiao Will Make A Good Future Wife
    Show

The Despot suggested the girl needed to be tutored by Councilors and Nobles. She was being groomed to be a Ruler or a wife to a Ruler.

Near the end of the month the Magistros reported that he had improved relations with Mayor Serapion of Sutrapur. Once again the Despot was pleased. As the old saying goes - "A happy Mayor is a good investment".

Spoiler: Mayor Serapion Had A Greater Opinion Of The Despot
    Show

In June the Despot received the news that Izsak Konradfi died a natural death at the age of 51. The Despot felt some sadness for the man.

Spoiler: Izsak Konradfi Dies A Natural Death
    Show

He had come to a far off land to marry a cheating wife. His children had not been of his own Dynasty and he had spent much of his life unhappy and unloved. No doubt he had welcomed death in the end.

So we close this chapter with a plot being canceled, a marriage being carried out, and a death of a sad old man.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-Four : Focused On Affairs Of State

Should We Be Worried?

We open this chapter in June, of the year 867 AD, with the Despot totally focused on events inside and outside his Realm. He decided to take the affairs of his state, and those that surrounded him, as seriously as he could. He wanted to impress his Regent, yes, but he also wanted to learn how to be a good Ruler.

Funny enough, in trying to take in the whole picture he may had missed a few of the finer details. But that is for a later chapter.

Near the end of June Leontia Dysnomia became 12 years of age and needed the second stage of her education selected. The girl was suffering from Small Pox AND very depressed. So the Despot decided she should learn the art of war.

Spoiler: Leontia Dysnomia Will Study The Art Of War
    Show

"Are you sure you want a sick and depressed teenager playing with a blade?" asked the Regent.

"Yes," replied the Despot with a smile. "Maybe she'll slice something off or end up a horrible warrior."

The Regent nodded. He understood the boy's logic but there was one flaw in it. There was a chance, a slim chance, that the girl might grow up being GOOD at war. Not all plans, after all, went the way you wanted them to.

Around the same time Doux Adrianos of Lhase had his Council pass the Title Revocation Allowed Law. No doubt he had a few vassals he wanted to deal with.

Spoiler: Doux Adrianos Passed The Title Revocation Allowed Law
    Show

This was also about the time that the Despot noticed there were two empty spots in the military.

"Where are all our Commanders GOING?" demanded the Despot. "Are they taking time off for family or vacation time? What is up with that?"

Nobody among his staff could tell him what was going on.

Spoiler: Two New Commanders Are Picked
    Show

So the Despot selected Mayor Eudoxios of Manikuta, a loyal Greek Buddhist, and Mayor Sigurdr(?) of Mangling, a loyal Greek Norse, who were both good warriors.

Now the Despot decided it was time to start thinking about the future. In other words, war and conquest, and expanding the Realm. So he sent his Magistros to the County of Kathmandu. A nice county with a Trading Post in it. It USE to belong to Pala but the Kingdom of Ayudha had taken it.

Spoiler: The Magistros Is Sent To Kathmandu To Make A Claim
    Show

And if the Despot had any say in the issue it would soon belong to him. All he needed was a claim.

At the same time he recalled the Sakellarios to the Capital. The man had spent so much time helping oversee the building projects that the Despot felt he needed some time off. Working on the paperwork to help the Despot run his holdings! Wasn't that more restive?

Spoiler: Sakellarios Was Brought Back To Help The Despot Rule The Realm
    Show

In July the Council of Bhutan passed the Title Revocation Allowed Law and the Despot wondered who the Doux Ioustinos was going to use it on. Not that he cared. His Regent was a Just and LOYAL Vassal. The House of Nalrajar Garh could do no wrong.

Spoiler: Doux Ioustinos Passed The Title Revocation Allowed Law
    Show

Then Eusebios Dysnomia turned 12 years old. The young man had certain ideas above his station - he had claims to just about everything. So the Despot decided to make him a not-so-good future steward.

Spoiler: Eusebios Dysnomia Would Study How To Be A Steward
    Show

Once again the Regent understood the logic but knew that not all plans always turned out the way one wanted them to.

In August a lowborn named Gopala was put in the dungeons by the Great King Gopala. The only clue to why this happened was the fact that the old man had been a Peasant Leader.

Spoiler: Was Gopala A Peasant Leader?
    Show

It was unlikely he would last long in the dungeons as he was, along with much of the people in the castle, already starving.

Near the middle of August the Despot decided that the County of Markam needed much in the way of improvements. The County of Buddhist Norse had proved to be loyal in the past. Many a Norse warrior with their attack pugs had fought in wars in support of the Dynasty.

First he gave funds for improving the Walls of the Castle of Markam. He also gave funds for working on the Temple of Cuowa.

Spoiler: Building Up The County Of Markam
    Show

Then he also gave funds for the building of a Guild Hall for the City of Mangling.

Shortly afterwards Theodosia Dysnomia, a kinswoman who had rarely seen her homeland, had died of Great Pox. It is said she had died insane and alone.

Spoiler: Theodosia Dysnomia Died Of Great Pox
    Show

It was also pointed out to the Despot that the strong dwarf Khan Sircan II of Xia was fighting a war against the Duke Sauna and WINNING. It was likely due to the fact that he had over four thousand warriors on his side.

Spoiler: Khan Sircan II Of Xia Is At War With Duke Sauna
    Show

Near the end of August Gopala was released by the Great King Gopala. Nobody knew why and the Despot was still wondering about why he had been placed in the dungeons to begin with.

Spoiler: Gopala Is Released From The Dungeons
    Show

In September the Despot noticed that his Upadhyaya had secluded himself in the Palace. It seemed he had decided to do so to protect himself from Small Pox.

Spoiler: The Upadhyaya Tries To Hide From Small Pox In The Inflected Region
    Show

But that made no sense as the counties to the north, where he had been carrying out his task of converting the Christians, were free of Small Pox. In fact, by coming south he had put himself MORE in danger from the deadly threat.

So we close this chapter with more building projects, more children being somewhat educated, and a confused Despot.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-Five : Flu And Small Pox

Doctor? No, I'm A School Teacher!

We open this chapter in September, in the year 867 AD, with the news that Duchess Arminestra II of Varendra had died of the Flu and left everything to her eldest son Ananta.

Spoiler: Duchess Arminestra II Of Varendra Had Died Of Flu
    Show

And Doux Ananta seemed to have a more positive opinion of his Liege than his mother had. While he tried to hide it the Despot was somewhat pleased. He just didn't like the father being the Doux's teacher and suggested another. Jayapala Pavakid was not much but he was Greek and he was Buddhist.

Spoiler: Doux Ananta Agrees To The New Teacher
    Show

Within a week Doux Ananta had agreed to the switch in Guardianship.

The Despot felt things were going his way. True, he still had dangerous Vassals to worry about. Doux Andronikos, Count Dionysios, and Count Varzak were all on his list of Trouble Makers. But the Despot felt he could handle them in the long run. He just needed a few more years.

Spoiler: The Trouble Makers
    Show

Then there were his two young Rivals. And the Despot knew what he had to do with them.

First there was Euphemios Dysnomia. The Despot proposed he marry Thakurani Amro of Fergana of the House of Mohri in Punjab. It was a Matrilineal proposal of course. And it would be a loveless marriage as the woman already had a lover. No, Euphemios would be just a young stud for an older woman. A plaything for her amusement. It was likely she would agree as she wanted to get married. Oh, the horror!

Spoiler: Euphemios Dysnomia
    Show

Second there was Theophanes Dysnomia. The Despot proposed he marry Cenkulama of the House of Cataiyavarman in Nasikya. Of course it was a Matrilineal proposal. Cenkulam was a lusty young woman who also wanted to get married. That would show him!

Spoiler: Theophanes Dysnomia
    Show

By October the proposals had been accepted and the fate of his Rivals had been sealed.

Spoiler: Both Proposals Are Accepted
    Show

A few days later his Spymaster uncovered a murder plot. It seemed the widow Romane of the House of Vijaya was trying to kill Phyllis of the House of Vijaya. Looks like it was a family feud over a title.

Spoiler: A Plot Among The Vijaya
    Show

The girl was already in hiding so it was doubtful any plot would work but the Spymaster told the widow to knock it off anyway.

Now, being that the young Despot was a teenager, he was starting to get urges. Not urges for pasta in the middle of the night. Nor are we talking about that urge you sometimes get to go tilt all the paintings in the main hallways of the Palace. No, this was about sex.

Spoiler: Strange Urges
    Show

But he decided to fight the urge. Nobody had told him about the birds and the bees and he thought that maybe these thoughts he was having were wrong. So he turned to books. He went to the archives, where the scribes were still working on his family history, and picked out a few books to read.

Spoiler: Becoming A Book Worm
    Show

Maybe it was the fresh air from reading the books on the balconies. Maybe it was staying up all night reading scroll after scroll under flickering candles. But the Despot got sick.

Spoiler: The Despot Feels Ill
    Show

As he sweated his brother Prince Hypatios became 12 years old and needed the second stage of his education selected. The Despot, fearing that he may be sick with the Flu or Small Pox, decided his brother should study bookkeeping.

Spoiler: Prince Hypatios Needs A Education Focus
    Show

In other words, if the Despot lived, his brother could become a steward of a county or duchy. And if the Despot died at least his brother would have SOME skill to help him be the next Ruler. And when Zenon, after examining the Despot, announced he was developing Small Pox the boy's fears came true.

Spoiler: Small Pox!
    Show

We close this chapter with the Despot having caught Small Pox.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-Six : An Ill Despot

Medical Leeches

We open this chapter in October, of the year 867 AD, with Zenon bringing the Despot a chalice with a warm and sour mystery liquid. "Drink it quickly before it cools," he said. "Fight fire with fire, as the old saying goes."

Spoiler: The First Treatment Fails
    Show

Sadly, it did not seem to work as by November the Despot developed a bright red rash. And by the end of November he felt so sick he couldn't even start to explain what was going wrong with his body.

Spoiler: The Despot Feels Worse
    Show

As he sweated and tried NOT to touch his rash the Despot received news that Countess Ronak was trying to create a claim on the Duchy of Nagchu. Again.

Spoiler: Countess Ronak Plots Against The Doux Of Nagchu Agin
    Show

"I knew she could not be controlled," whimpered the Despot as his servants wiped his sweaty brow.

Shortly afterwards he heard the rumor that the Count Shaw no longer wanted to be cruel. A good idea for a Buddhist.

Spoiler: Count Shaw Tries To No Longer Be Cruel
    Show

As the new year came to the Realm the Despot found himself covered in lesions. Then the lesions turned to pus filled blisters. There was no doubt about it now - the Despot had Small Pox.

Spoiler: Yeap - It Was Small Pox
    Show

While he fought the impulse to squeeze the blisters he heard that the Keep in the Castle of Pundravadhana was complete.

Spoiler: The Keep In Pundravadhana Was Completed
    Show

Then his Court Physician came to the Despot with offers of different types of treatment for the Small Pox. The Despot asked Zenon to pick one that was well known.

Spoiler: The Second Treatment
    Show

So the Zenon covered the Despot in leeches. These were not just any leeches but medical leeches bred by the medical profession. "Let them do their work," remarked the Doctor as he placed them onto the Despot's skin.

Spoiler: It Worked! The Leeches Worked!
    Show

By the 24th of February the Despot was cured. He had defeated Small Pox with the help of Zenon and his leeches.

Spoiler: The Despot Was Back On His Feet!
    Show

So we close this chapter with a strong Despot who had less than a year before he turned 16 years of age and took direct control of the Three Kingdoms.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-Seven : Lots Of Politics Going On

Advisers Are A Despot's Best Friend

We open this chapter in March, of the year 868 AD, with the Despot recovering from his illness. As he returned to his throne room he received news that his Sakellarios, Count Dionysios, had been working hard in Markam. The Despot was hugely pleased with that.

Spoiler: Sakellarios Had Been Working Hard In Markam
    Show

The County of Markam was becoming one of his favorites and, being on the "Frontier", he wanted it well protected to handle any invasions or problems the Horse Lords might toss at it.

Later in the month he was told that Raja Pariksh1tnayaran had become the new leader of the Independence Faction within the Kingdom of Pala. This DID not please the Despot. That Raja, and his family, was going to be a problem once he inherited the Kingdom.

Spoiler: The Raja Was Going To Be A Problem
    Show

Then Doux Andronikos of Yarlung sent a formal request that a Vassal of the Despot be transferred to him. He even promised that he would owe the Despot a favor.

Spoiler: DENIED!
    Show

The Despot wasn't having any of that. He didn't trust the Doux at ALL and denied him this request. DENIED! And you can't spell denied without die in it. Well, the letters if not the word.

He was also somewhat alarmed to hear Eustratios Dysnomia had called in a favor. What kind of favor? The young Ruler knew, sooner or later, he would have to deal with Eustratios. He felt this need to know as much as he could about the man BEFORE Eustratios returned to the Realm.(1)

Spoiler: Eustratios Dysnomia Was Wheeling And Dealing
    Show

Then the Despot, thinking about his illness and his new love of books, ordered that the local Hospital build a Library. It cost a LOT of money but should be done within a year.

Spoiler: The Hospital Needed A Library
    Show

Near the end of the month Theophanes Dysnomia, one of the Despot's rivals who was doomed to marry a lustful wife, had turned 12 years old. So the Despot decided he needed to learn about being a steward.

Spoiler: Theophanes Dysnomia Will Study Bookkeeping
    Show

Now the Regent WAS confused. "You understand he will likely be a GOOD steward?" pointed out the Regent.

"Yeah," said the Despot with a shrug. "But I figured why punish the wife? Why not give her future husband with SOME useful skill she could use him for. Besides being her stud."

The Regent nodded. This Despot had some depths to his inner thoughts.

Then in April the Despot was told some good news. The Independence Faction in Pala had disbanded. Maybe the Rajkumar Hariyamandal, who had been the leader, was too busy hiding from Small Pox to brother with such a movement?

Spoiler: The Independence Faction Of Pala Had Disbanded!
    Show

Then Mayor Karz of Reting, the Despot's Magistros, died at the age of 49. His titles passed onto Mayor Theoktistos.

Spoiler: Magistros Karz Died
    Show

This was somewhat sad as Karz had been a very active Magistros and the Despot would miss him.

As the Despot looked over his lists of available Nobles who would be worthy of becoming the next Magistros he received the news that Count Varzak had passed the Levy Shifted Noble Obligations Law.

Spoiler: Count Varzak Wants More Soldiers From His Vassals
    Show

"So he wants more soldiers from his vassals?" commented the Despot to himself. "I'll keep that in mind." Then he went back to searching for a new Councilor.

Mayor Ioustinos of Pragyotispura was at the top of the lists of Nobles who had the skill for the position of Magistros AND he had a good opinion of the Despot too! Not a great one but a good one.

Spoiler: The NEW Magistros
    Show

He was selected as the next Magistros and was ordered to Kathmandu to work on a claim.

Yet a few days later the Despot almost ran into the Magistros in the Palace hallways. Seems he, like the Upadhyaya, had secluded himself. Seems he also feared getting Small Pox.

This time the Despot could not complain about it. He had suffered himself for not being careful. So he let things slide.

In May Count Dirghanakhe of Goalpara had made his Council pass the Religious Control Mandate Law. This made sense as the man was a zealous Buddhist.

Spoiler: Count Dirghanakha Passed The Religious Control Mandate Law
    Show

Then midway through May the Despot almost did a jig of joy. For the Bhikkhu Adrianos of Para-Lauhitya, a Holy Man AND Trouble Maker, had died from Small Pox!

Spoiler: Bhikkhu Adrianos Is Dead
    Show

Bhikkhu Gerasimos inherited the Monastery and all the other titles. The new man was older than the last Doux AND already stressed out. It was unlikely he would live very long either.

The only problem was his low opinion of the Despot. So the Despot sent him a gift which kind of worked.

Spoiler: A Gift For Bhikkhu Gerasimos
    Show

So we end the chapter with a lot of people trying to hide from Small Pox.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Author's End Notes:

1. Eustratios had an inheritance within the Realm and would be returning once he inherited it. Something the Despot had not realized when he married his kin off to a far off wife.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-Eight : Starvation And Small Pox

Looks Like Ares Has Joined The Party

We open this chapter in May, of the year 868 AD, with the Doux Ioustinos gaining the name "The Just". It was a good name for such a man. A trusting, brave, and just Vassal. Too bad he, like many of the Nobles, was hiding within his Castle walls. And in doing so was losing touch with the people and his own vassals.

Spoiler: Doux Ioustinos Gets A Nickname
    Show

Then war joined famine and plague when his father, the Great King Gopala who had recovered from his own case of Small Pox, declared war to make Satyavarman Raj a Tributary State.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Pala Goes To War
    Show

"Great," said the Despot with a sigh when he heard the news. "War and Death. The Christians must be wetting themselves out of fear."

The Great King was still starving from enclosing himself within his Palace for so long but he still have more money and more men than his enemy. On top of that the Raja was already in another conflict. The Despot wondered how long the war would last.

Spoiler: Raja Vs. Great King
    Show

At this point the Despot, feeling sorry for his stepmother, sent her some money. Maybe she could buy some fresh fruit or some fish or something to feast on.

Spoiler: Trying To Keep Stepmother Alive
    Show

In June the Raja Nar Singh of Magadha founded the movement to make himself King of Bihar much to the annoyance of just about everything. The only person not upset by this was the Despot who was never going to inherit the Kingdom anyway.

Spoiler: Raja Nar Singh Wants To Be King Of Bihar
    Show

Then, one day passing past the Wall Map in the throne room, the Despot noticed the map had changed again. The Kingdom of Pala was FREE from Ayudha's control.

Spoiler: Pala Was FREE Of Ayudha?!?!
    Show

Somehow the Great King Beejpala had lost control of the Kingdom of Pala.

Spoiler: Great King Beejpala
    Show

And nobody could tell the Despot how or when or who or what. They shrugged and looked embarrassed. They could not even tell the Despot when the Guilds had been in to change the Wall Map.

"Oh well," said the Despot with one last glance at the changed borders, "I guess it does not matter."

In July the Despot called Princess Dionysia to his throne room. "I need you to go to the County of Taktse and dig up something on Doux Andronikos of Yarlung. I need to something to blackmail him with. Anything!"

Spoiler: Princess Dionysia Goes To Spy On Her Son
    Show

So the Spymaster went to spy on her own son in his seat of power. She did her duty unlike the Magistros and the Upadhyaya who were still both in seclusion.

Funny enough in August the Upadhyaya died of old age. Maybe it was the bad air from staying inside so long? The lack of sunlight? Who knew. The Despot had to find a new Upadhyaya and he found her in the form of Bhikshuni Sergia of Hajo.

Spoiler: The OLD Upadhyaya DIES
    Show

Who, when he ordered her to go to convert the populace of Banbar locked herself up in the Palace.

Spoiler: The NEW Upadhyaya Acts Like The OLD Upadhyaya
    Show

It is said the Despot facepalmed.

In September Count Varzak joined the Gavelkind Succession Faction for the Kingdom of Kamarupa.

Spoiler: Count Varzak Joined Gavelkind Succession Faction Of Kamarupa
    Show

"I really have to do something with these Factions once I have all three crowns on my head," murmured the Despot with a sigh.

As we come to the end of the chapter, dear readers, let me show you what was happening outside the Palace when it came to the epidemics rocking the world. The Small Pox in India, which had spread along the Silk Road in both directions, was not the only one.

Spoiler: Small Pox In India
    Show

There was also Small Pox in the Middle East and Measles in the boot of Italy. Many people of the known world were being killed by something they could not see and did not know existed. Sicknesses carried by ships and rats. If only they knew...

Spoiler: Epidemics In Middle East And Europe
    Show

So we close this chapter with India being rocked by war, illness, and starvation.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330

Chapter Two Hundred-Ninety-Nine : The Realm Is 100 Years Old

Celebration Of A Hundred Year Reign By A Foreign Dynasty

We open this chapter in October, of the year 868 AD, with scouts on the western border spotting military movement within the Kingdom of Guge.

Spoiler: Kingdom Of Guge Goes To War
    Show

It turned out that the Great King Basawa was being attacked by Thakur Roshandeva of Jumla. A powerful Noble within the Kingdom of Ayudha. NOT the Great King of Ayudha. One of his VASSALS.

Spoiler: Thakur Roshandeva Of Jumla
    Show

While the Thakur was in TWO conflicts at the same time he had more than enough soldiers to defeat Basawa with only half of them.

Good news came from the County of Haruppeswara where the Count Doinysios had helped improve the infrastructure and had encouraged the people to work harder.

Spoiler: Count Doinysios Helps Improve Haruppeswara
    Show

Then bad news came to the Despot’s ears when he heard Count Boethios had joined the Gavelkind Succession in the Kingdom of Kham. Another name to the list of trouble makers. A name the Despot did not seem to know...

Spoiler: Count...Who?
    Show

Near the end of October Pantoleon Dysnomia, the other son of the Spymaster, had turned 12 years old. The Despot decided the teenager should study the way of statesmanship. He thought the boy would make a good future diplomat. As least he hoped the boy would become a diplomat and not another trouble maker like his older brother.

Spoiler: Pantoleon Dysnomia Would Make A Good Diplomat
    Show

In November Count Dirghanakhe of Goalpara was now known as “The Pious”. Not sure how a paranoid, zealous, shrewd man could be called Pious but that was the Despot’s own opinion and he kept it to himself.

Spoiler: Count Dirghanakhe The Pious
    Show

Halfway through the month Count Boethios started a movement to make himself King. The Despot didn’t want to say anything to the Regent but the Despot still didn’t know who Boethios was. He tried to find the name in his memory but there was nothing there. “Oh well,” said the Despot to himself, “I’ll deal with him later.”

Spoiler: Not Ringing A Bell...
    Show

In December the Despot received news from the County of Markam that the Castle Walls had been upgraded.

Spoiler: Castle Of Markam Had Bigger Walls
    Show

Then 1st of January, of the year 869 AD, came to the Realm and there was much rejoicing. The commoners held parties in their homes and the crowds flooded the local temples with gifts while the Nobles and Rich had private celebrations in their estates and plantations. The people praised the House of Dysnomia that had ruled Kamarupa for a hundred years. The names of the five Rulers were in many songs and prayers that day.

Spoiler: Happy Birthday Kingdom Of Kamarupa!
    Show

The Despot looked over his holdings and smiled with pleasure. Soon, in less than a month, he would be a man. In the eyes of the law. And he would rule it all.

So we close this chapter with the Despot already preparing to set his plans into motion. For example, he already knew who he was going to marry.

Spoiler
    Show