New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Dota 2 LC pub item build suggestions

I've been playing legion commander and I almost never use blademail because I don't remember to activate items and because it's boring.

I usually go treads, AC, pipe, and dagger. Then I go for mkb, heart, bfury or whatever else I need.

For abilities it's
    press, courage, courage, press, courage, ult, courage, max ult, max press, odds last
    20% xp boost, movespeed boost, courage proc chance, ult damage boost

What are some attack dps focused item builds you guys would recommend for fun (that don't include blademail).

Remember, this is a pub, not ranked and I never play with anyone I know.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

d6 Re: Dota 2 LC pub item build suggestions

That AC is way too early and Pipe doesn't synergize at all.
    Battlefury is a farming item that just gives flat damage and nobody will stand in your cleave radius while you're dueling, LC is the wrong hero for it - if you need AoE damage, pick up Mjollnir since you already have a ton of flat damage which makes attack speed way better.

Items
    Starting Items
    Something involving a Stout Shield (2 slippers into finishing Poor Man's Shield from the side shop is fairly common, as is buying it outright or just taking a Stout and never upgrading)
    1-2 sets of regen
    Single ward if you're offlaning alone and nobody gives you one, but that almost never happens in pubs

Core (in this order, generally)
    Iron Talon; laning is better than jungling, but farming the enemy jungle in addition to a lane is better still
    Brown boots
    Something to start duels with - Blink Dagger or Shadow Blade or both
    Boot upgrade - Treads and Phase are both good
    Cheap duel winner - you don't like Blade Mail, so this is Desolator or Armlet of Mordiggian. Echo Sabre is plausible but not as good as the other two.

Situational
    Assault Cuirass is good now after you've got some efficient items and some duel damage built up, and doubly good since the armor reduction stacks with Deso
    Mjollnir for even more DPS
    MKB if you need true strike
    Silver Edge against PA, Bristleback, or Abaddon (his ult won't activate automatically if you apply Break)
    BKB, it's boring but sometimes you just need to not be stunned
    Aghanim's Scepter as a BKB alternative if you only care about dueling one target and you can kill them without help
    Bloodthorn if your team having a tough time against somebody you need to silence to start a duel (Storm Spirit comes to mind), or you need to silence because you have to duel somebody else but they're still scary
    Abyssal Blade gives you another 2 seconds of BKB-piercing disable on top of your duel duration and makes you take less damage during the duel, especially if you get a bash proc
    Heaven's Halberd is a really good item now

Win-More (items that are nice but don't solve any specific issue)
    Heart of Tarrasque
    Daedalus

Skills
    My build is 2-1-2-1 (or 3-1-1-1) at level 6, then max Overwhelming Odds > Press the Attack > Moment of Courage, taking Duel when possible.
    But honestly, anything you do as long as you don't max Moment of Courage first is fine. Two points of Moment of Courage is sufficient to jungle without losing health. More is a waste, until teamfighting starts and you can actually use the shorter cooldown to get more procs.
    Overwhelming Odds is a really good nuke and underrated by most players. You can use it on stacked jungle camps or big creep waves, you can use it to get a lot of damage against anybody standing in a creep wave, it one-shots almost every illusion, it even makes you faster so people can't run away from you.

Talents
    Level 10: Strength in most games. Legion likes XP, but she likes gold and kills even more, and Strength gives you an edge in fights.
    Level 15: Movement Speed. This is incredibly underrated (nearly a 3% win rate difference, but picked less than 1/4 as often); damage is fine and all, but you already get a ton from winning duels. Speed lets you actually hit things with that damage.
    Level 20: Both are good. Moment is more fun.
    Level 25: Duel damage bonus for sure. I want to recommend the Press the Attack cooldown because it's fun, but it's just not as effective. Stopping to cast a skill every 5 seconds means you're not hitting things.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2017-07-15 at 06:13 PM. Reason: add skill build
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dota 2 LC pub item build suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    That AC is way too early and Pipe doesn't synergize at all.
    Battlefury is a farming item that just gives flat damage and nobody will stand in your cleave radius while you're dueling, LC is the wrong hero for it - if you need AoE damage, pick up Mjollnir since you already have a ton of flat damage which makes attack speed way better.

Items
    Starting Items
    Something involving a Stout Shield (2 slippers into finishing Poor Man's Shield from the side shop is fairly common, as is buying it outright or just taking a Stout and never upgrading)
    1-2 sets of regen
    Single ward if you're offlaning alone and nobody gives you one, but that almost never happens in pubs

Core (in this order, generally)
    Iron Talon; laning is better than jungling, but farming the enemy jungle in addition to a lane is better still
    Brown boots
    Something to start duels with - Blink Dagger or Shadow Blade or both
    Boot upgrade - Treads and Phase are both good
    Cheap duel winner - you don't like Blade Mail, so this is Desolator or Armlet of Mordiggian. Echo Sabre is plausible but not as good as the other two.

Situational
    Assault Cuirass is good now after you've got some efficient items and some duel damage built up, and doubly good since the armor reduction stacks with Deso
    Mjollnir for even more DPS
    MKB if you need true strike
    Silver Edge against PA, Bristleback, or Abaddon (his ult won't activate automatically if you apply Break)
    BKB, it's boring but sometimes you just need to not be stunned
    Aghanim's Scepter as a BKB alternative if you only care about dueling one target and you can kill them without help
    Bloodthorn if your team having a tough time against somebody you need to silence to start a duel (Storm Spirit comes to mind), or you need to silence because you have to duel somebody else but they're still scary
    Abyssal Blade gives you another 2 seconds of BKB-piercing disable on top of your duel duration and makes you take less damage during the duel, especially if you get a bash proc
    Heaven's Halberd is a really good item now

Win-More (items that are nice but don't solve any specific issue)
    Heart of Tarrasque
    Daedalus

Skills
    My build is 2-1-2-1 (or 3-1-1-1) at level 6, then max Overwhelming Odds > Press the Attack > Moment of Courage, taking Duel when possible.
    But honestly, anything you do as long as you don't max Moment of Courage first is fine. Two points of Moment of Courage is sufficient to jungle without losing health. More is a waste, until teamfighting starts and you can actually use the shorter cooldown to get more procs.
    Overwhelming Odds is a really good nuke and underrated by most players. You can use it on stacked jungle camps or big creep waves, you can use it to get a lot of damage against anybody standing in a creep wave, it one-shots almost every illusion, it even makes you faster so people can't run away from you.

Talents
    Level 10: Strength in most games. Legion likes XP, but she likes gold and kills even more, and Strength gives you an edge in fights.
    Level 15: Movement Speed. This is incredibly underrated (nearly a 3% win rate difference, but picked less than 1/4 as often); damage is fine and all, but you already get a ton from winning duels. Speed lets you actually hit things with that damage.
    Level 20: Both are good. Moment is more fun.
    Level 25: Duel damage bonus for sure. I want to recommend the Press the Attack cooldown because it's fun, but it's just not as effective. Stopping to cast a skill every 5 seconds means you're not hitting things.
    I feel bad because this is well thought out. I meant dumb and fun dps pub builds.

Example (I lost badly btw)
    boots+7 blades of attack
    4 crystalis 1 blink dagger
    4 daedalus

Echo saber looks interesting though. I'll look into that.

Barring that, interesting and wacky builds.

Went for medal of courage, dagger, treads, s and y, daedalus this round (might be my new favorite build, attack speed, some armor, some hp, and later on some good damage). Won, but one of them left early enough for game to be safe to leave. Then another one left when they started losing. I had a DC myself for a few minutes from hardware failure.

EDIT:
    Well, considering how competitive even pubs are becoming, it looks like I'll have to go meta...
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-07-18 at 05:08 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.