New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

eek OOTS #1084 - The Discussion Thread

New comic is up.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1084 - The Discussion Thread

It's shocking what some people will eat.
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

This thread is going to be a debate about why she called Durkon high priest if the title was officially passed on.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting. I believe Roy was counting on the Thor priests acolytes to recognise his access token, right?

He can still find the way to the temple, but it doesn't seem like there will be many such acolytes left.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-20 at 08:52 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Evil wardrobe change! Greg's really not hiding his identity anymore, is he?

Also, it looks like the vampires are making quick work of Firmament's elders and priests.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-07-20 at 08:55 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    This thread is going to be a debate about why she called Durkon high priest if the title was officially passed on.
    yep! Why did Hel refer to the-vampire-of-uncertain-religious-rank as her high priest given that he gave up the title earlier?

Still we now have a new name for Durkon*: the Low Priest of Hel, or LPoH, as he's equal in rank to the "official" high priest, but her inferior in height.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

those poor tiny souls
    all hail the marshmallow pirate kitty

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

It seems like Durkula's new outfit would be less suitable for combat than the previous armour?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arkku View Post
    It seems like Durkula's new outfit would be less suitable for combat than the previous armour?
    Maybe he can wear under it? But vampire no need so much armor also

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I would expect the resignation was a formality only. And if Hel wanted to re-appoint that vampire to the position, I see no reason she couldn't.

I hate every second this villain is on-panel and the sooner he gets his comeuppance, the happier I will be.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, but more suitable for sneaking around. Also, do not underestimate the power of clerical spells to boost his armour. Durkon may have preferred to use his slots for other things, but Greg may have different opinions on which are the best spells to prepare.

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Interesting. I believe Roy was counting on the Thor priests to recognise his access token, right?

GW
    Yes and no, the token is also a key to a private entrance for Thor's priests, so it can be used to bypass the border security regardless of if the priests are alive or not.

I suppose if there is any survivor to the attack who are aware the foes are vampires (so not people who just weren't there at the time for various reasons), they'd try to escape to the surface (thinking the sun can make them safe).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Damn. And Durkon's soul gets to see all this slaughter... That's a really messed up thing to do to someone who sacrificed himself to save his friends...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Yes and no, the token is also a key to a private entrance for Thor's priests, so it can be used to bypass the border security regardless of if the priests are alive or not.
    Indeed. I edited in that piece of information. Still, I'd expect some kind of payoff for the "token can only be given freely" exposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    I suppose if there is any survivor to the attack who are aware the foes are vampires (so not people who just weren't there at the time for various reasons), they'd try to escape to the surface (thinking the sun can make them safe).
    Did Greg ever figure out the protection from the Sun spell? Or did he always depend on the staff to cast it?

GW

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Well, that's not good. Vampires dining on priests with sufficient levels to cast lightning bolt may mean more clerics for Hel. Of course, the staff being gone means they have to be buried for several days before rising as vampires.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Dang, I thought (was hoping) the static on the line was Durkon regaining control.

That's a lot of vampires! Gonna be an ugly fight for Roy and the rest once they catch up!
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    Dang, I thought (was hoping) the static on the line was Durkon regaining control.
    It's a bit early for that, if it will happen at all. Durkon has barely figured out that his only advantage so far is that, as bad as he is at drawing conclusions, Greg is even worse. I'd expect that to be Durkon's "in" to clawing back some kind of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    That's a lot of vampires! Gonna be an ugly fight for Roy and the rest once they catch up!
    Most won't rise in time. Only the ones that left the moot with Durkon will be active when the Order arrives (it takes 3 days without the staff)

ETA: unless the staff spell is in Hel's domain, in which case I suppose we can't discard Greg simply casting it outright.

ETA2: Since the Mechane will arrive "before midnight", all the vampires will have just refreshed their spell slots, too.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-20 at 09:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barstro View Post
    It's shocking what some people will eat.
    drink*

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    I would say it was passed on for the purposes of the Godsmoot. In Hel's view, Greg is still calling the shots.

Most won't rise in time. Only the ones that left the moot with Durkon will be active when the Order arrives (it takes 3 days without the staff)
    It IS possible he extracted that spell from the staff too. We don't know how long it takes after all. He could have only been using the staff to do it at the GM for convenience.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-07-20 at 09:24 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I suspect that Greg sees physical combat as beneath him, especially with underlings, and as such has changed into more 'priestly' clothes.

I was honestly expecting the clerics to put up a bit more of a fight, but then again I suppose none of them are as strong as Greg is. Still, if he's dining on the priests he's not dining on any of the representatives.

I hope the reveal I sense coming is that Greg is worse at making plans than Belkar is lawful good.

*crosses fingers* first page first page first page...
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

The moment being depicted in the last panel is striking... The priest's eyes are X'd out, so he's crying out with his last breath. Is the lightning a last action, as it were, or some kind of involuntary effect?
    At least now I can get back to enjoying my glass of elven wine in peace and quiet, without being called on to intervene in someone else's problems.
    Clang, clang, clang goes the trolley! Ring, ring, ring goes the bell! Git away from me, ye daft fool!
    *sigh*

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As a neutral-evil-is-my-guess deity (casts Summon Banana in case the Giant has ever issued an statement), Hel is perfectly willing to abide by the letter of the law while violating it. Which is to say, for purposes of the Godsmoot the vampire in the front was appointed High Priest; but if all Hel's priests were brought together, that vampire would still obey Greg, who presumably has more levels, title or no title.

Greg's the functional high priest, the vampire at the Godsmoot holds the title.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Still, if he's dining on the priests he's not dining on any of the representatives.
    The plan is to force the representatives to vote in favour of world destruction, not just kill them. Whether what they intend to use is mind control, blackmail, convincing arguments or something else remains to be seen.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-20 at 09:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

So while I'm really happy to see the speedy pace of updates lately, the really anxious fanboy in me wants the updates even faster (argh!). I'm not sure I've wanted to see villains get their comeuppance more than I've wanted it for this particular batch of villains. What a difference having bad guys manipulating poor Durkon makes...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Two quick checks: the priest being killed is the priest who exiled Durkon, right? And, as he's being killed by vampire spawn, he's not going to rise as a vampire, right?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hahahaha, I totally thought *Durkon was trying to pretend the call was breaking up and he actually wanted to settle things with Roy.

Speaking of, he's been a fairly practical villain, 'missteps aside' (seriously, don't prematurely gloat). I like him!
    Even the wind will know agony.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well this does NOT look good for the order.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Two quick checks: the priest being killed is the priest who exiled Durkon, right?
    He might be the one that physically threw him out, but the one who ordered it has been dead for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    And, as he's being killed by vampire spawn, he's not going to rise as a vampire, right?
    " A vampire that is enslaved may create and enslave spawn of its own, so a master vampire can control a number of lesser vampires in this fashion."
    (source)

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-07-20 at 09:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm loving this rate of new comics!

I followed for a short time the debate about the new name for the Cleric formerly known as Durkon (Durkula, HpoH, etc.). But I obviously missed something. How did "Greg" get settled on?
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    How did "Greg" get settled on?
    It was not "settled" by any stretch of the mind, but panel 7 last suggestion. Personally, once HPoH stopped being 100% accurate, Greg became the next best option.

GW

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

ETA2: Since the Mechane will arrive "before midnight", all the vampires will have just refreshed their spell slots, too.
    Are you sure they'd have the time?