New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​II: I Am The Night!

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    I was referring to deadline's comment, which in turn refers to your inquiry on whether to put CR+0 or CR+1--both of which can be RAW, but can be disputed by judges
    In that case, I think one of us is misunderstanding the other. I actually have no idea what the template in question is, and I'm not going to dig through books in an effort to find out. The submission will do that for me here in a week or so. I also never asked about which would be applied, I asked about a template that kicks someone immediately to 20HD from a book that has been deemed out of this contests scope.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    In that case, I think one of us is misunderstanding the other. I actually have no idea what the template in question is, and I'm not going to dig through books in an effort to find out. The submission will do that for me here in a week or so. I also never asked about which would be applied, I asked about a template that kicks someone immediately to 20HD from a book that has been deemed out of this contests scope.
    Haha, it's Florian's inquiry, not yours. My bad
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting, I'm gonna see if I can come up with an interesting build for this. especially as my attempts to play actual games on here always fall throguh, games collapse too often. so just straight up building may be nicer.

are there existing standards about advancing things in racial HD beyond the level listed in the monster entry? getting up to cr 20 is quite a ways, and I'm not sure how many class levels I'd want to add.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    Interesting, I'm gonna see if I can come up with an interesting build for this. especially as my attempts to play actual games on here always fall throguh, games collapse too often. so just straight up building may be nicer.

are there existing standards about advancing things in racial HD beyond the level listed in the monster entry? getting up to cr 20 is quite a ways, and I'm not sure how many class levels I'd want to add.
    I believe the standard is "not supported by regular game play and RAW, and therefore a target for point deductions."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

man my entry is pretty much done and there is so much time left, what do

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hackulator View Post
    man my entry is pretty much done and there is so much time left, what do
    Edit it again in 2 days. Then submit. In the meantime, you can help optimize the shadowstaff, perhaps?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

are these supposed to be BBEG grade villains, or can they just be general villains?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

are these supposed to be BBEG grade villains, or can they just be general villains?
    Any kind of villian you want.
    Think Star Wars for a moment. The Emperor, Grand Moff Tarkin, Lord Vader, Jabba the Hurt, and Boba Fett were all villains in their own right. The Sarlacc Pit and Wampa were not.
    Make something that feels like a villian and make sure we know why.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    IThe submission will do that for me here in a week or so.
    My problem is this: The template makes you decide the CR issue on a "style" or "substance" basis.
    Looking at the rough CR20 build I have so far, it´s clearly "style". But I want to present the full done CR5 build so it´s useable in a lower-level campaign, here, and only here, the template has real "substance". This is vexing me a bit right now.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

I've got no free time at all these days, so I won't be participating or judging. So I'll join the spectators in the stands and eagerly await your villainous builds!

Hopefully Real Life will allow me to participate in the next comp.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

It depends on the number of entries, but I might be able to judge.

12. - Top - End - #102

I'm just going to come out with it. We're not counting the super warrior wizards of Naruto-verse as decent analogues for "ninja" here, right? 'cause like...actual ninja stuff vanished halfway through part 1 of that series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Friends don't let friends do Starmetal.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

there's gonna be a few oddities in handling cr increases, and not sure how to fill it into the table. like when adding racial hd increases size, that could cause the cr to skip over a cr value entirely. are we supposed to use the suggested +1 cr for using elite stat array if we don't use any class levels?

guidance helpful, if not i'll just eyeball it and make a best guess.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I have a feeling that all the entries will be super powerful on their own but will get rekt if they fight the PCs in a group.
    Well......

Also: Dang, Ninjas.

I have absolutely no Idea for that Competition.

But copious amounts of free time till the 12th.

Why couldn`t it have been the last Comp, why?!!?

Nah, Ninjas are cool, lets see if I can get some inspiration.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

there's gonna be a few oddities in handling cr increases, and not sure how to fill it into the table. like when adding racial hd increases size, that could cause the cr to skip over a cr value entirely. are we supposed to use the suggested +1 cr for using elite stat array if we don't use any class levels?

guidance helpful, if not i'll just eyeball it and make a best guess.
    I would suggest looking at some past entries and see how they handle it. If the CR jumps due to size etc. I'd recommend just jumping straight from, say, CR 4 to CR 6, so the table wouldn't have a CR 5 entry. And you can always tweak the table to better suit your entry (although if you make it too difficult to read/understand, the judges might penalize your entry).

In regards to elite array, AFAIK that has never carried a CR increase in this comp.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
    I'm just going to come out with it. We're not counting the super warrior wizards of Naruto-verse as decent analogues for "ninja" here, right? 'cause like...actual ninja stuff vanished halfway through part 1 of that series.
    In theory, that's up to judges to decide, and I can't give any meaningful answer here.

In practice, I doubt such a broad definition will be used by any of them (especially not when it's the competition's sole criterium), and don't recommend super warrior wizards.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Good, that does somewhat reduce my worries (see the old thread, I wrote the same thing^^).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Good, that does somewhat reduce my worries (see the old thread, I wrote the same thing^^).
    That's the thing with multiple ways to view a ninja, though. You got the supposed "realistic" shinobi exploits, which is basically just oriental-flavored assassin. Then you got the more mystical version, allegedly they themselves spread, to make them appear more legendary and larger than life. Both are pretty well represented across all media, old and new, but Naruto understandably gets the flak because they really went balls-in with the mystical stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

19. - Top - End - #109

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    That's the thing with multiple ways to view a ninja, though. You got the supposed "realistic" shinobi exploits, which is basically just oriental-flavored assassin. Then you got the more mystical version, allegedly they themselves spread, to make them appear more legendary and larger than life. Both are pretty well represented across all media, old and new, but Naruto understandably gets the flak because they really went balls-in with the mystical stuff.
    They went beyond just balls-in with mystical ninjitsu, plenty of the characters in Naruto are just wizards. If Naruto ninja is the bar you have to reach I feel like this might be the least restricted contest ever lol.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
    I don't know Naruto at all, but I can think what you mean with it.

The "ninja" trope and D&D has the usual problem that you come to different conclusions how to reach that trope based on whether you look at modeling the trope by itself, or you look at the whole set of D&D mechanics to see how to make the trope viable under that totally changed conditions.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there are huge gaps between "mystic Ninja" and Narutos Sorcerers/Wizards, so yeah, the not tight but existent restriction is appreciated.

Still have not been jumped by an idea....maybe I should walk into a dark back alley? ^^

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    I don't know Naruto at all, but I can think what you mean with it.

The "ninja" trope and D&D has the usual problem that you come to different conclusions how to reach that trope based on whether you look at modeling the trope by itself, or you look at the whole set of D&D mechanics to see how to make the trope viable under that totally changed conditions.
    Most naruto characters would fit as shugenja, with mild variances in elemental schools, like the inclusion of a lightning school. There is also opposed schools like shugenja normally do, but it's less opposite elements and more a genetic disposition thing.

Of course, I never watched much of shipuden, so retcons could make me a liar.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, that fits pretty well, with the exception of some really really special Ninja that is (which are more alike Tristalt Wizards, Psions, Swordsages for example).

Generally speaking aside from mid to late Shippuden the original lookout stays the same, with rising power levels. of course.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX​II: I Am The Night!

Hit a major snag in my initial build, but I've re-jigged it and I'm happy with the result.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

See, there's three builds I want to make but a maximum of 2 entries per competitor. Worse, the limit is entirely my fault.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

All of my ideas aren't ninja-y enough. I wanted to make a pile of ninjas type character for good guys hack through, but doing it with my brain and not using some sort of minionmancy invariably moves me into weird rules territory.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if I'll put in the time to get my build properly done; I have a rough outline of what it's like. I suppose if I fail to make something on time I can always just wait til after builds are posted or something and just talk about what I was going to do.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

I´m currently annoyed with my "build". I don´t like how the later levels "feel".

29. - Top - End - #119

RogueGuy

My build is pretty much completely finished in my head I just haven't worked up the motivation to actually write it all down.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    See, there's three builds I want to make but a maximum of 2 entries per competitor. Worse, the limit is entirely my fault.
    Out-source one build 8ergo build the concept well enough for someone else to finish and let them do it)!

Might help those among us who hit snags, or (like myself) still completely lack a really fun to build Idea....