New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Kallimakus' Blessed World IC

Sypheil takes a moment before responding, still thinking over the man's words in her head. "Well, I can't say that I represent my father's interests. If you would rather negotiate with me rather than him, then I'm open to conversation. What kind of agreement did you have in mind?"

Spoiler: @Kali
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallimakus View Post
    I assume from the background that Sypheil's father is rather keen on having her back, but his present influence outside Lybaras is limited.
    Precisely

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The nobleman with Sypheil considers for a moment. He whispers "I got tangled up in this... bad business. Your family's in on this mess, and I want out. Either I sell you out or you help me out of the mess. Simple as that." he says. He explains a bit more in a circumspect manner, but it seems clear he was involved in some conspiracy involving today's attack at the Plaza.

Spoiler: Assuming you round everyone up and head out
    Show
    Finding the party members is not very difficult, since you started with 3
    Miadri finds that the one that slipped her the note that led to the Black Cross is no longer there, as far as you can see.
    Sypheil's new 'friend' also has a meeting at the Black Cross. He intends to not go. He is positively disposed to Sypheil's perceived allies assuming that Sypheil is agreeable.
    Leaving the area of the party, you are met with guards. They check you out on a list, the same way as when you came in.

There are a few macro scale options here regarding the Black Cross (feel free to suggest others):
    -Assault: Disrupt the gathering during it, or assault the place beforehand.
    -Infiltration: Miadri takes on the guise of a cultist, with others either on standby or observing
    -Observation: Find a way to observe the proceedings, perhaps tracking the participants after the fact.

There should be about half an hour until the most opportune time, and perhaps an hour until Neru's protection is restored once more. It should take you perhaps 10 minutes to get from the party to Black Cross.

Spoiler: @Sporeegg
    Show
    I lost track about who Lady Teladrin was supposedly affiliated with. Was she a Sakhmetite (name pending)?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry for taking a while. I've been trying to figure out how to do things

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Miadri abuses the relatively unknown persona of Lady Telandrin to show open support of Sakhmet. I wanted to display a certain carelessness. Just a young noble girl wanting some recreational (and slightly evil) fun. The original idea was a temptress and socialite. As the goals of Sakhmet became clearer I shifted the persona to be more like a figurehead of the movement pro Sakhmet. Because a known and surveilled cult is much secure than an occult one.

I feel some higher up cultists could have a hunch I am not truly devout to Sakhmet because I condemned the attack as misguided. But you just cannot defend a massacre openly and get away with it on a royal gala. You have to concede SOME points or else you are not believable. Even with Bluff 24+

Infiltration sounds like the way we could gather most information but it IS the most dangerous of all since I'll be the ranged gal amidst enemies.
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-09-15 at 05:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri sees the guys not moving. She turns around. "What is the matter? Got another idea?" She seems concerned. "It's not like I am incredibly experienced myself. If you feel this is a terrible plan, just tell me. We can always just gather more information." The young woman checks the enigmatic faces of the Paladin and the Summoner, then looks to the High Priest for guidance or any semblance of a reaction.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    I think there is general assent that going to the Black Cross is the way forward.

Secondly, Lady Penell offerred an Aegis, no strings attached, if there are takers. It does feel like a suspiciously good deal.

"The plan is risky, but provided you don't cause any ruckus it could shed light on todays events. It is entirely within the function of your order." she says. "Presently, I can offer you nothing but luck." She extends her hand, motes of silvery light coalescing from the air and gather on her palm. She offers it at Miadri. "Take it, and use it wisely"

Spoiler: Miadri
    Show
    Miadri knows of this. If she takes the offered energy, she can tilt odds in her favour. It is sometimes done for particularly risky missions, though whenever you have seen it, it has been done in a ritual involving a handful of performers and taking around ten minutes.

Upon taking them, the light flows into her, flowing up her arm before settling in her chest.
    Mechanically, you gain a pool of +5 luck, which you can add to any roll (1 point gives you +1). Alternatively, you can consume all remaining luck to roll again.

"I recommend you refrain from taking action no matter what occurs." the high priestess says, "but I order you to follow your instincts. Neru chooses her followers well. Your instincts will not lead you false. Go now." She waves a gesture of farewell, May the moon light your path.

Show
    This is also an option to equip yourselves, get the lay of the land (you can use your choice of Perception, Survival or knowledge (local) to get answers to any questions about the layout, possible places for observation or avenues of escape

The Black Cross

The city streets are emptying now as the night falls. Lights still shine from many windows, and bars and taverns are still in business, cheerful music, songs and laughter echoing down the streets of Arathus. You head towards the Black Cross store as prepared as you can be, you see the diagonal black cross with the name written on the two bars that make it up. The store is two story's high, with the second floor looking like living space. It has plain windows strewn with odds and ends. It appears to sell antiques and the like, furniture, utensils, decorations. A piece of parchment on the door announces that the shop is currently closed. Still, you can see lights inside.

Spoiler: The Door
    Show
    Upon knocking, you hear someone large moving inside the store towards the door. The door opens, revealing a fairly short, thick man. He is overweight, but his posture and a numbers of scars on his forearms and face suggest that you don't want trouble with him. "What's your business. Place's closed, owner's orders."

The phrase "the Faithful gather" seems like a good opener.

Spoiler: Skill challenge
    Show
    Bluff Check - Getting through the door should pose little issue, though you need to roll
    Knowledge (nobility) or diplomacy - Once indoors, you need to conduct yourself appropriately. The different checks represent a more haughty and entitled manner, or a more down-to-earth conduct.
    Disguise - Perhaps the most important skill, trying to keep up your persona. You can get bonuses on this based on other checks. Failure does not compromise your position, but might increase suspicion
    Perception or Sense Motive- Trying to get a feel for the people, as well as potentially committing their faces for memory for later.

Assuming that all goes well, I'll continue along. I'll try to keep this moderately brief because it looks to be a solo bit.

So where is everyone else, ideally?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri closes in on the Black Cross in her darkgrey travelling cloak. After doubly checking she isn't watched - which doubles as her bluff in this case - he knocks and repeats the passcode. If the bouncer or whoever has the door this night seems suspecting she shows him the piece of paper.

Inside in the small crowd gathering in this shop she keeps her head down though she is expecting a few turning heads of people who heard of what she said at the gala. To these particular she is just nodding ominously and grinning. Hoping her Tendergrovian braid is still intact and her holy symbol of Sakhmet is visible she looks for a corner where she can see everything yet no one can jump at her back.

She overlooks the place, the behavior and tries to memorize a few significant faces. She mostly keeps quiet, behaving regally and demanding a certain breathing space.

Show
    Bluff to gain entry (1d20+9)[29]
    Diplomacy to get to know what will be happening tonight (1d20+9)[14]
    Disguise to look like a Lady from outside the city(1d20+2)[12]
    Perception to memorize a few faces (1d20+7)[23]
    Sense Motive to get a general feel of the crowd (1d20+9)[18]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Beforethe get in sight of the Black Cross, Mahes pauses them. "I suspect I may stand out and spoil any chance of infiltration. I will seek another entrance and await a sign or the sounds of trouble, unless there is a better plan." Barring objections, he splits off to reconnoiter the rear of the building.
    Spoiler
    Show
    take 10 on stealth for 16, keeping his distance, then perception (10 for 16 also)

+6 perception mod if needed for reactive rolls

trying to find a quiet place, out of sight but close enough to see the back door and hear any trouble

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Black Cross, after going around the block, only appears to have the singular exit, apart from windows. Mahes can settle down to a nice alley where he can see the storefront and hear anything really noisy going on. So if a fight breaks out or something, you'll know. (Others might also be around)

Inside, Miadri is taken to the back, the threatening posture of the man gone completely after he accepted the password. The back room looks like a lounge of sorts, finely decorated, at least superficially. Finely embroidered tablecloths, a few fine chairs, very nice carpets, but the tables are cheap and worn, the walls show signs of age and poor care. There is a cask of wine, plenty of cups and some dried fruit and cheese. A gaggle of people has assembled here already, including the one that sipped Miadri the note. He smiles politely, but makes no move. Miadri attracts a few wary glances, being a newcomer here, but her demeanour and apparent ease help her way. You while away time in polite conversation. You sense anxiety around you, many people acting stiffly. It looks like Lady Teladrin is not the only first timer here. She also spots the noblewoman who attempted to kill the prince.

Outside, a few more people come along and enter. One drunkard is turned away. The green moon climbs higher, catching up to the white one and passing over it. The lunar eclipse is about to start.

Inside, the gathered people are ushered downstairs. The way down is not very obvious, in the shape of a trapdoor hidden under a rug. Steep stairs lead down to darkness. The one that welcomed you in goes down first, lighting lamps and candles below. A stone cellar, possessed of musty smell and little decoration. Two circles of iron are inlaid on the floor. People are wary of them, avoiding stepping onto them. You are instructed to take places around the room by a figure that steps out of shadows. There is nothing to be alarmed. You are in no danger, nor is anything required of you. A few grasp in realization as to who this is. Efrain Rubio, leader of the Infardi that managed to avoid capture. Even if you did not recognize the face, his attire is unmistakeable. He explains that there is no cause for alarm.

An ethereal wind picks up in the room, and mist coalesces from the corners of the room into the two circles, taking on vaguely humanoid, if quite clearly ephemeral and translucent forms. The circles themselves take on a chill turquoise glow as they become active. Their outlines eventually resolve, but that doesn't give much insight to them. Both wear heavy cloaks that obscure both their faces and their builds. One of the ghostly figures turns its hooded head around. "Is this it?" a strong voice, male obviously, asks. There is an echo to it, a distortion caused by the projection, as though the speaker is far away. "My... My lord Harr" the Infardi leader begins before being silenced. "No names"

"You stand here, in the company of strangers, with your face revealed. Did you succeed?" the figure asks.
    "Yes. The good prince was in for quite the shock." Nolvene Omnes says, smiling
    "But alive, I trust?"
    "I don't botch jobs. Of course he is alive. And under heavy guard, exactly as we intended."
    "And the other part?"
    "I assume our agent at the temple is making her move now."
    The figure turns to address the rest of the gathering. "This is the first official gathering between our three branches. You have been called here by a friend you trust." he says, as though going through a rehearsed speech, "Know that we have no malice. The world is changing, and we must change with it. Those that adjust, those that help our goals will find themselves standing at the peak of the new order. These are only the opening moves. No matter what anyone tells us, what is at stake is nothing less than the future of Blessed Land itself. Those in power are too blind to see it themselves, so we who have vision must act behind their backs. What transpires in this meeting, and any others, will not leave behind these halls. Here, we are all equal. From his body language, you assume he also has an audience present wherever he is.

There are vague talks of a brighter future, and a few of the people assembled here make very sincere-looking affirmations of loyalty. From your observations above, these are mostly newbies like lady Teladrin. You can also tell that it appears to be more of a spur of the moment thing, based on the bemused expressions worn by those that appeared more at ease.

The eclipse passes outside. During it, you heard wailing of lost spirits and baying of dogs distressed by something, but nothing too out of the ordinary appears to have happened.

Coinciding with the ending of the eclipse, the figures of mist fray at the edges, losing cohesion before simply evaporating.

There is still some talk and offers of refreshments upstairs, before you are instructed to depart. The entire ordeal has taken around an hour and a bit. All told, Miadri conducted herself very well. There is little to no suspicion towards her in the air.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Samuel didn't like it, being left behind while others took the risks... but he had to admit, he was useless there. If he was able to join in there he'd be more a liability than help on the infiltration.
    Also, it was a much bigger chance of being recognized as those that stopped the attack on the plaza if all of them were there.
    No, he was better just staying in the party, trying to mingle and find anything wrong or that he could help with.

Spoiler: Rolls:
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[27]
    Perception: (1d20)[8]
    Sense Motive: (1d20)[3]

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Sypheil considered the man's words for a moment. This was a first; she hadn't been blackmailed before. She nodded after a while. "Well, you make a convincing argument. Perhaps I can help you with this 'business'. How is my family involved?"

Show
    Sorry for the delay; I wasn't sure if we were all leaving for the Black Cross or not so I was holding off until we had a decision.
    Last edited by Exylrei; 2017-09-20 at 12:41 AM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri watches the speech with both curiosity and after the translucent person starts talking about the various agents placed in other locations, her pupils dilate a bit from the rush of adrenaline. The temple? Which one? she thinks to herself. I feel targetting the temple of Neru isn't as good a spot. But asking direct questions like that now would just endanger her exfiltration. She instead opts to get to know which role the cultists play now. Why they are even informed of these happenings and what their next supposed move is.

Show
    Diplomacy to get a bit more info: (1d20+9)[11]

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Right now, the task of the gathering is to make sure their temple-bound agent makes their way out of the city safely and on their way. The attendees seem reluctant to reveal any more. (based on the Diplomacy check

Spoiler: Sypheil
    Show
    The man explains that Sypheil's father is an ally to the cult here. He supposedly has his own shady circles in Lybaras, and now the plan is for men of influence to unite. The eclipse permits and aids with a ritual of connection. That way, no-one would learn of the connection before it is too late. And they have no proof anyway. He doesn't know how wide this network is, but knows that his absence is already noted. He cast his die speaking with Sypheil.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri tries to confront a henchman or higher ranking cultist - as far as she can tell them apart. She then reveals a bit more of her neck and rubs the leg of a bouncer. "This night is so exciting." Miadri almost moans. "Sakhmet is rising...and something with you might be rising too. " she whispers into his ear and kisses the air to his left cheek, removing the hand from his thigh, leaving the man wanting. "Is there somewhere we could have privacy?" She looks at the guard expectantly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy to flirt or Bluff to pretend flirting:
    If I can get someone to come with Miadri I pretend there is an extra Blessed Guard of Geheb active in the temple district, a news Telandrin has just received from attending the ball. Bluff for that: (1d20+9)[28]

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The guard is responsive enough. He goes on about the fact that his role is not the only thing that is big about him. Apparently 'focus on the task at hand' is not a strong suite. As the first 'guests' are starting to make their way out, the guard feels that being relieved of his duties could be made better by more general relief. He is putty in Miadri's hands

Show
    I'm not sure what you were angling for, but he will agree to just about anything at this stage and with that roll.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes continues to wait, practicing his breathing to pass the time.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Sypheil raises an eyebrow. "So first you've threatened me, and now you target my father with these callous accusations? If we were in Lybaras, you could have been strung up by now. But... Knowing my father, your words could have merit. Very well, you have my attention. What is it you want me to do about this?" She looks the man up and down, still evaluating the truth in the man's words.

Show
    Because my rolls have been going so well thusfar, here comes another Sense Motive!
    (1d20)[3]

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallimakus View Post
    Show
    I'm not sure what you were angling for, but he will agree to just about anything at this stage and with that roll.
    Show
    Convince him the mission is in danger.

"I don't like this shack. Maybe we could go for a walk outside?" she proclaims, offering him her arm. Miadri feels confident he agrees, both eventually get outside and walk the street. More silent than before but still with the occasional festival drunkard. As they pass Mahes' hiding spot she just waves at the guardian and with the same motion tries to distract the guard by telling him about the fabulous decorations, fully knowing he just has one goal this night. Caressing his back she whispers into his ear that she knows a short cut, leading the brutish man down a more narrow alley. Not the classical dead end but enough privacy to corner the man between Mahes and herself. "My shoes are killing me." she proclaims, fumbling about with her garter, revealing a dagger.

Show
    This is where you jump the big guy, Mahes!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The guard goes along, puzzled, worried about the potential risk for their mission and eager for some company follows Miadri. He doesn't actually speak of the mission despite the seclusion and enticement. Perhaps a different sort of encouragement is required.

Back at the party, the man explains to Sypheil that he wants passage out of town and protection from potential retribution. He doesn't apologise for threatening her before. He can infer that Sypheil doesn't want back by virtue that she isn't doing so now. You are suspicious about his circumstances, but at the same time, he does seem to be sincere (if a little bit of a jerk).

Show
    He also turns to Sypheil because, as far as he can tell, she is on the run, so should have a better idea about how that works than he does.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2017-09-21 at 09:47 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes stalks toward the man's back, ready to charge he be noticed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    stealth (1d20+6)[22] to get in charge range, then standard action charge (assuming surprise round) if he gets a signal from Miadri or the target notices anything

att (1d20+6)[19] vs flat footed
    damage (1d6+3)[9] nonlethal

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: @Mahes
    Show
    I was thinking more of a grapple if you can do that? He is useless if knocked out.

Trying to hide the blade under her forearm, she gets closer to the guard and grabs his groin. "I cannot wait. Let us do it here." She is lowering her head as to kneel before him, quickly turning around and putting the knife on his throat.

Show
    Sleight of Hand for the knife trick (1d20+3)[17]
    Combat Maneuver Grapple: (1d20+2)[10]
    Success: Now you'll tell me where the temple agent is if you want to live.[/COLOR]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Miadri fumbles the knife, and it finally dawns on the guard that something is off. He doesn't notice Mahes, but Miadri's actions with the knife draw his attention and he unsheathes a dagger. Not the one he'd wanted to, but in this case, probably the better one. Mahes rushes him, throwing a hard punch at his head, which continues to hit the wall of the alley. He is disoriented by the impact long enough for Miadri to get the knife on his throat. He blinks in a confused manner before his eyes narrow with impotent hate. An instant later the full extent of the situation dawns on him, eyes widening with fear, then reasserting some confidence.

"Won't do you no good bitch!" he says. "The agent of ours is at the temple of Ptra. After a book." It is blatantly obvious that he is lying through his teeth.
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2017-09-21 at 03:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Miadri quickly stabs at his weapon arm. "Another lie and you're bleeding out here. I might not like killing but if your death ensures the safety of this kingdom, it shall be so." Miadri practically hisses at him. She is unsure if she believes this herself. But at the moment she reminds herself of the massacre at the Plaza. The bit of conviction she needs to ensure her grappling attempts do not fail against this larger opponent.

Show
    Do you need an attack roll?
    Damage (1d4)[4] I am not using my strength mod. One of my old DMs even allowed me to gauge decide my damage myself in these situations but for now as Miadri I prefer rolling as she has no good grasp on anatomy and her enemy isn't completely defenseless.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes shifts. And growls.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Your captive wisely determines that stalling might not be the best idea. Neither is calling the city watch. He bends and gives what you assume to be correct information. Their agent is at the Temple of Djaf. Beneath its hallowed halls lie several vaults, packed with objects of great power. He overheard some cultists talking about a book. But he's not really privy to the higher mysteries.

The Temple of Djaf is not located far from the Palace with the party. Overhead, the lunar eclipse continues, but looks to be ending soon.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

"Go, GO!" Miadri pleas Mahes. "You're quicker on four feet than I can ever be. Take the others and stop the agent. Meanwhile I will deal with you!" Miadri tugs her captive towards the main street. "GUARD! THIS MAN HAS BROKEN THE LAW! HELP ME!" she cries in the womanliest voice ever.

She would have a bit of explaining to do, but she'll refer to High Priestess and then flee the scene, get her bow and join the other at the temple.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes gives a leonine snort, then sprints off.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Little fuzzy on distances and how long it would take to gather the others. If Mahes doesn't think he can find anyone before the moon changes, he will go himself (which is stupid, but...yeah, he is feeling heroic)

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It takes precious long minutes for the guard to actually arrive on the scene. At around the same time, Mahes, running as fast as his legs can carry him, reaches the palace again. A few panicked passersby try to press themselves against the walls or take shelter in whatever way they manage. After shifting back to human form out of sight, the guards readmit him back, one asking if the lady made it home safe
    Show
    I assume you left at the same time. These guys just love jumping to conclusions

Mahes finds Samuel surrounded by a crowd of new friends, Sypheil conversing with a young nobleman and Daniel still in the garden away from prying conversation. He quickly explains the situation and the need to rush to the temple of Djaf.

Show
    The man notes that 'it has begun'. He has an estate near the High City. He expects Syphei there by noon tomorrow, else he will have to hope that selling out Sypheil will buy his way back to good graces of the Quiet Order.

Show
    A pair of city watch arrive running. They take a quick stock of the situation as the cultist feebly attempts to accuse Miadri of attempting to rob and threaten him to the guards. The situation, with him against the wall at knifepoint, does not instantly disprove his claim.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

"This man has housed known fugitives responsible for today's slaughter. I serve the Silent Moon and our protecting Mother Moon Neru." Miadri incants a short spell and the wounds of the thug close. "As you can see I am blessed by the divines." If the guards need further confirmation she shows her birthmark on her shoulder.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

Smiling and saying goodbye to everyone, Samuel follows Mahes.

"I am new to the city, and did not explore it much yet. Do you know where this temple is?"

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes simply informs the guards that the lady is well as he collects his compatriots as quickly and subtlety as he can manage, a tug on the elbow, a nod at the door.

Once outside he brings them up to speed as well as he can, not having had time to get the full story himself, as they head toward the temple. "I believe I can find it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming he either has a fair idea where it is or else would have gotten directions before running off.