New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Kallimakus' Blessed World IC

Miadri

The guards do believe you. The man goes along with resignation, freeing you to find your way to the Temple of Djaf. There is no need to show off the birthmark. The city watch are aware of Neru's agents in the city working on the cleanup.

Others

You do indeed know the location of the Temple. Indeed, from the vantage offered to you by the party locale, you can see it from up from the High City.

The streets themselves are empty.

Temple of Djaf

The Temple of Djaf is one of the rare buildings in Arathus that is not white. Instead, it is a low building (for a temple anyway) built of black marble, imported at exorbitant cost from the southern reaches. A set of wide steps lead to the entrance, before descending beneath the ground to the temple proper. A pair of lit braziers stand by the entrance, and you see one guard standing by a decorative pillar, leaning at it. From the look, he is a junior member of the priesthood. He doesn't react to your approach. Indeed, he has no reaction at all. A small needle at the base of his neck is the only thing out of place here.

The temple is oblong in shape, elevated a few feet over street level. The entrance is ten feet wide and 15 feet tall, and the entire building is perhaps 25 feet tall. It's walls are sloped at a steep angle. The building on the surface is rather small but you know that temples of Djaf usually have sprawling underground mausoleums. Usirian takes custody of the spirits of the dead, while the bodies are left in custody of Djaf, or at least his priesthood. Equally, the layout is well-documented to allow relatives to visit the resting place of their ancestors (though more commonly any remembrance would be done at the temple proper. Another thing to note is that it is typical for Djaf and Usirian to be served at the same temple, as both are associated with death. In Arathus, they maintain separate temples, though the temple of Djaf has a shrine to Usirian.

Other than that, the place appears quite calm.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You may want to take a time to get a good look at the surroundings (i.e. roll Perception), though doing so will eat at your speed.
    An examination (heal check that takes 3 rounds) can reveal the state of the guard, or you can press on. (there are ways to determine his status quicker, if you can think of any.)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

After a small detour to fetch her armor and weaponry, Miadri hurries to the temple, where she hopefully will find the others. She slaps the guard's face softly while whispering: Are you still alive? After a superficial check for other wounds, she just deducts herself that he has been poisoned but a poison of what? Not knowing anything about medicine or healing, she trusts in Neru's guidance to lift this man's vitality. After a small prayer she forms a small pale light in her hand, pushing the light sphere into the chest of the guard.

After that she investigates the temple entrance and looks for the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Life Sphere: Invigorate; heal (1d4)[1] Con damage.
    Perception (1d20+7)[19]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

The first thing Samuel does is use his blade in front of the guard's mouth and nose to see if he is still breathing.
    If he is not, he is probably dead, so he'll just offer a prayer to Neru as last rites and advance carefully, paying attention to his surrounding - if the guard was killed so easily, an attack could be dangerous.
    If he is breathing, however, Samuel will do his best to heal him as much as he can.

Spoiler: Rolls:
    Show
    Perception: (1d20)[17]
    Heal: (1d20)[12]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes returns to lion form as they move, arriving at the temple ahead of the others. Seeing the guard unresponsive, he takes a moment to note any unusual scents before pressing on, trusting his companions to minister to the guard as needed.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The guard is breathing. His body is stiff and he does not respond to Miadri's slap or words. you can think of little to do other than laying the unfortunate man down so that when whatever happened to him wears off he won't hurt himself falling over. His only response to the invigorating magic is getting a little colour on his face.

Inside, the temple is quiet. You see a statue of Djaf dominate the room. An altar lies before it, and at the back of the room a curtained doorway leads to a back rooms and living quarters of the priests. To left and right, open doorways lead to stairs down. Mahes catches an unfamiliar scent. It is somehow reptilian. It continues left and down the stairs. It is not terribly fresh, which suggests that the owner of the smell has not passed the location recently, which means he is either in the building or has left long since.

Spoiler: Architecture (I rolled)
    Show
    Sypheil, Mahes and Miadri have enough knowledge of symbolism of Djaf's faith that his temples generally have only a single entrance. A few airshafts exist across the lower levels, but these are generally too small to use by people. In this temple, there are two floors below ground.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes pauses to give a growl in his companion's direction, then follows the reptilian scent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't talk in lion form.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not knowing what the grown means, Samuel keeps following the lion, paying attention to his surroundings.

Spoiler: Roll:
    Show
    Perception: (1d20)[15]

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

"I think a celestial servant such as me has a slight advantage in dark times like these. Let me check if we are walking into a trap." Giving herself the third to last remaining illuminating touch, the Aasimar moves nimbly through the temple. She seems to see a few details her human companion seem to miss, going beyond the limits of mortal perception. Her eyes seem to pierce the darkness readily. Maybe - you think for a split second - she is not entirely human.

Spoiler
    Show
    Scouting ahead:
    Perception (/w Darkvision): (1d20+8)[23]
    Stealth: (1d20+7)[13]

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The corridors beneath the ground floor are dark. Miadri can see scones with torches at regular intervals. They look serviceable as well. Between Miadri's vision and Mahes tracking the intruder by scent, you move through the winding corridors, past small rooms that have alcoves set in their walls. The area smells like nothing. It is slightly off-putting to find such a neutral smell. Mahes's leonine senses are not really perturbed by this, since his keen nose can pick off the lingering scent of the intruder, as well as that of his comrades.

You descend another level and your path curves back towards the centre. Miadri spots a curious sight up ahead. A stand for smoking incense and two lines of powder running parallel to the walls. The walls are inscribed with faint glyphs where the lines are drawn. Up ahead, you can hear a noise, like something talking, but the words are too weak to make sense of at this distance. Another voice answers. It sounds like two people are arguing up ahead.

Even at the lower level, the corridors occasionally branch and the walls are interspaced with small vaults. Here, stone doors seal the doorways, where above they were open.Some doors are marked with evidently magical, faintly glowing designs.

Show
    If any of you has a flint and steel, you can light a torch without much issue. You can also follow Miadri and Mahes in total darkness.
    Also, Exylrei messaged me that he has left the campaign. Sypheil remains at the party, though you might yet find her a convenient ally at some point.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes pauses at the doors, paws not ideal for opening them. Also, despite his animalistic senses, he is unable to see in the dark, a significant drawback.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Anyone here can see enough to guide us? I'm worried about getting their attention if I light a torch..." Samuel says in a low tone, trying to avoid drawing attention from the voices they can hear.
    Last edited by Yorae Rasante; 2017-09-29 at 11:17 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"You light a torch. I scout ahead and tell you if we can get the dropped on them. They serve the goddess of darkness. I don't think lighting a torch is disadvantageous." Miadri whispers. She then proceeds to look for the voices in the dark. She actively tries to hide even in the dark - fully knowing that most creatures and servants of Sakhmet have no trouble with the dark themselves.

After not seeing any reaction she turns back: "I know I should not be the one giving orders. But please work with me here. As much as I have learned about the conspiracy and have just guided you here like sheep I have one thing to say. I cannot do it without your strength and determination. Let me be your guide, and you can be this city's heroes."
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-09-30 at 10:31 AM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Samuel shrugs. "I don't care much. Planning, leading and the kind is not for me. I'm glad just being able to be useful and not being lost.
    But... is it really the time for this kind of talk?"

That said, if the person who can see in the dark says it won't be a problem, Samuel does light a torch.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yorae Rasante View Post
    Samuel shrugs. "I don't care much. Planning, leading and the kind is not for me. I'm glad just being able to be useful and not being lost.
    But... is it really the time for this kind of talk?"

That said, if the person who can see in the dark says it won't be a problem, Samuel does light a torch.
    Miadri advances first, leaving the torch behind corners so that the light doesn't give you away in the dark. The bickering sounds grow louder as you approach. Behind a corner, you see a pair of short reptilian forms. The size of a small child or a gnome, but with a snout full of sharp teeth. With your darkvision in grayscale, you can only tell that their scaly hides are dark, as is the presumably leather clothing they wear. They carry a lot of relatively sophisticated gear, ropes, latches and small pouches lining their garments. Both carry wicked-looking knives, one carries a small crossbow and a scrap of parchment, and the other seems to have a thick scroll in it's hands. Big even if you discount the fact that these are quite puny creatures. They argue in draconic, spoken quickly, but Miadri can understand the crux of their argument. Their escape plan was meant to be the 'Doorway of Souls' where the essence of those interred below ground would rise and travel through it to the outside world, and from there to be judged by Djaf. Alas, the doorway is purely symbolic, and no actual opening is left for the pair to leave through. They are debating whether or not they should brave the wards again.

The pair seem engaged in arguing, and seem to think themselves safe. Unless you deliberately get their attention, it seems unlikely that they will take note of you.

Spoiler: Identification
    Show
    These little rascals can be identified with a DC 8 knowledge Local check (available untrained)

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Little Dragons? Absurd! Miadri thinks to herself. The Inquisitor takes a short break to think, then equips out her symbol of Sakhmet and continues in broken Draconic: Aar-Aav-Ahmik Bahlaan-Nahkriin Mu-Hon-Uth* The commands sound harsh and imperious though Miadri's relatively soft voice constrasts this. The Inquisitor gestures the kobolds to follow her right back towards the warriors.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+9)[20]

*Servants, join my service. The worthy will get Revenge. We hear Her Command. Dovah-Zuul aka Dragon Language from Skyrim as a stand-in. The language is limited so some verbs have to be added from context. But it is a proto language, and in latin verbs without meaning are also omited.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The pair cease their bickering and turn to regard Miadri, briefly confused. The one with the big bundle of a scroll starts speaking, before the other hushes them. The apparent leader gestures for Miadri to lead the way.

Spoiler: Miadri
    Show
    I rolled Sense Motive for you. They are not put at ease at all by your appearance. In all likelihood, they intend to attack as soon as you turn your back.

Show
    The rest of the party waits behind a few corners, with the one carrying a torch a total of 60 feet away, and others 40 feet away. You have approached as close as you dare without giving yourselves away. You can hear normal speaking volume from where Miadri stands

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes flexes his leonine muscles, readying himself to spring should the situation call for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't want to assume we are at a 'kill on sight' basis for them, so not posting any attacks just yet.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Aus-bah-aar! Aam-nu. She takes out her spear and rams its blunt end into the floor to demonstrate both strength and signal the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate (1d20+2)[9]

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Don't think so-so" the leader replies in passable common, repeating the last word as a kind of tick. A dagger appears in its hand, too quick for eye to follow. The other struggles with its burden for now.

Show
    Combat starts. In this case, both sides were expecting things to go bad, so it's appropriate to roll initiatives (taking averages, then blocks)
    (2d20)[30], they do have modifiers. For future reference, in cases like this do you want me to roll initiatives directly?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

"You're desecrating this temple with your presence. Submit and WE will take you peacefully." Miadri opens. She takes a defensive posture in which she uses the length of her spear to get an advantage over the short daggers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of course you can roll Init for me: (1d20+3)[7]
    The part about the defensive posture is just fluff to show that I am not flat-footed.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes launches himself past the kobolds, looping past and taking position behind them, a low growl rumbling in his throat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am fine with you rolling initiative as a block. saves time.

if needed now init (1d20+4)[11]

double move (40' each) to get behind them without going through their threatened areas

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Samuel looks around for somewhere to put the torch. Since he fights using both hands, he kind of needs it.
    If he can't find any, he'll have to compromise and carry it with his mouth.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[15]
    Perception: (1d20)[3]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The pair of kobolds rush Miadri. She puts her spear down, as the other darts around her, heedless of danger and eager to secure a position where one or the other can strike at her back. Both draw their knives as they go. Their attack pattern is less than perfect, as the one coming straight at you launches their attack before their flanking partner has made it in position.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+8)[20] Flanking dagger attack
    [roll]1d3+1d6[/roll] Dagger and Sneak Attack
    (1d20+8)[27] Non-flanking dagger attack
    (1d3+1)[3] Dagger damage

Mahes, in his leonine form moves down the corridor, taking the unsuspecting Kobold from behind.
    Spoiler: Mahes
    Show
    You reach them with a single move action, and are eligible to take an attack. It isn't a straight line, so charging is not possible.

Samuel moves after Mahes, looking for a place to set down his torch. There are scones for torches spaced every 40 or so feet. He needs to empty one and place his torch there (a Standard action all told, and a move action to get there). He is still 40 feet away

Spoiler: Turns
    Show
    Samuel spends his first turn setting up the torch. Miadri has an Attack of Opportunity, as well as a full round to use, while Mahes has spent a Move action to get in position. Daniel is a phantom presence at the moment. If the player shows up, he is 20 feet behind Samuel and has a whole round.

Crude diagram, S=Samuel, M =Mahes, m=Miadri, K=Kobold, o=empty 5ft space

Soooooooooo
    oooooMKmKo

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Turning to stab at one of her opponents Miadri leaves her flank wide open. She manages to get a hit in on one of the critters and feels a sharp pain in her side. Her face freezes in shock as she goes down.

Spoiler
    Show
    As rolled in Discord:
    Attack of Opportunity: To-Hit 20 + 2
    Crit: 4 + 2
    Damage: 2 + 3
    Additionally a roll to stabilize DC 13: (1d20)[8]
    current health: -4
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-10-04 at 09:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Unable to get past, Mahes leaps, mouth gaping and fangs bared as he plunges down toward his prey.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20+4)[16] (includes flanking, so should be 2 lower (14))
    damage (1d6+6)[9]
    Last edited by stack; 2017-10-04 at 11:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Mahes bites down on the kobold. It tastes like victory. The flesh is stringy and tough and, frankly, not exactly a delicacy. It screams in a high-pitched voice, cut abruptly short by the loss of consciousness. It drops the big canvas roll it was holding. The other kobold eyes it sharply. Hissing menacingly (relatively speaking), it darts over Miadri and its fallen comrade, sparing no glance at the prone creature, instead lashing out hatefully at Mahes with its knife.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+8)[24] attack
    (1d4+1)[4] damage

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Trying hard to not bleed out, a small puddle envelops the scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    I managed to not bleed out at least.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Mahes' warded hide turns most of the blow and he repays his attacker kindly for being so polite as to move within reach, fangs flashing as he attempts to maul the creature thoroughly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    flurry of bites
    1 (1d20+4)[18] damage (1d6+4)[10]

2 (1d20+4)[14] damage (1d6+4)[10]

If the first drops it, he doesn't take the second.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Torch in position, being able to see the battle, Samuel holds his blade behind himself and charges, putting all his strength in the attack.

Show
    Attack (Power Attack): (1d20+6)[16]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[14]

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The remaining kobold's eyes widen as Samuel charges. It drops down as well, reaching for the bundle carried by its ally, but its strength fails and it goes limp. Silence falls over the tunnels. A growing pool of blood surrounds the kobolds. In the torchlight, you can see that the leader's scales were blue in hue, while the accomplice's were green.

Mahes knows that all Kobolds are inherently racist, generally detesting those of wrong colour. At least based on the fact that most kobold settlements are single-colour. Teamwork is not unheard of, but it takes a great cause to bring disparate bands together. The alternative is that both are outcasts. Such forlorn kobolds hire themselves out as mercenaries or advisors.

It is probably time to attend to Miadri, and possibly try to find some priest or something. It's a temple, right?

Spoiler: Loots and exps
    Show
    Both the kobolds carried a potion, though the two are different. On the various pouches on their bodies they carry plenty of gear.
    2x Adventurer's Sash
    2x Silk rope (50ft)
    Grappling hook
    2 Potions of Type A
    1 Potion of Type B
    4 pouches that appear to be filled with some salt-like powder. You saw something like that earlier on the floor.
    Various alchemical items (2 smokesticks, thunderstone, 2 flasks of acid, 50gp worth of reagents)
    2 masterwork daggers
    4 daggers
    hand crossbow and 10 bolts
    leather armour
    mwk studded leather
    2 sets of masterwork tools
    Animal food (on the boss)
    A thick scroll
    A bundle of scrolls detailing (with crude drawn images) several traps and obstacles, as well as the winding path that you followed.

And 650 exp
    masterwork thieves' tools
    Last edited by Kallimakus; 2017-10-04 at 01:33 PM.