New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #3931
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Hmm, as for TIM art - that thin white line isn't a smile, it's light glinting off his jutting chin. When you realise that, TIM looks good enough. The Mookie mess-up is that it requires close scrutiny to show properly...

Damnit, Mookie is killing off the better part of his character ensemble faster than Red Shirt Soup Wenches are having their non-existance ended
    That Belkar. As stubborn as he is stone cold sexy.

Still a Belkar fan.

2. - Top - End - #3932
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I think so, too.
    Just not as insanity inducing, merely insanely stupid.
    Well I figure something had to have hitched a ride on him, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to be used in an interesting way if my guess is right.

3. - Top - End - #3933
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kukn View Post
    Hmm, as for TIM art - that thin white line isn't a smile, it's light glinting off his jutting chin. When you realise that, TIM looks good enough. The Mookie mess-up is that it requires close scrutiny to show properly...
    ROFLMAO. Wow, I love how I totally didn't notice that at all. It's always amusing seeing something that is supposed to be scary and ominous not be scary or ominous because of something not being properly conveyed... in this case a chin.

4. - Top - End - #3934
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kukn View Post
    Damnit, Mookie is killing off the better part of his character ensemble faster than Red Shirt Soup Wenches are having their non-existance ended
    I wanted to include them into the Encyclopedia Dominica, I was just looking for a good name! Thank you, kukn!

Red Shirt Soup Wench
    A very special specimen of the Fifth Caste species, this curious creature can live for as long as thirty years apart of the protagonists. However, sooner or later, in a fashion similar to lemmings' mass suicide, these beings are drawn into the proximity of First and Second Caste members, where their function is to serve them soup (though rarer sub-species have been observed to secrete other liquid beverages instead). When they do so, they produce special pheromones, which can be perceived by the current story arc's antagonist and throw him or her into a murderous frenzy, which does not end until the Red Shirt Soup Wench has been slaughtered horribly. Considering how unlikely it is that such a creature would have evolved on its own, it is probable that Red Shirt Soup Wenches have been genetically engineered by the First Caste to make their opponents look more bad-ass, and thus enhance the glory of the First Caste when they defeat them in the end.
    And, while we're at it:
    Demonic Badass Leadership Disfunction
    A law of nature states: The bad-assness of a demon lord is directly anti-proportional to his skills as leader. The stronger and combat-capable any given demon lord is, the more unlucky he will get with his followers: They will upstage, overthrow, betray and ridicule him. Thus any sense of bad-assness is drained from the comic again, and natural order is restored. All bad-assness to the First Caste!
    Winter Archipelago
    In Winter Archipelago, Mookie mocks you!

Quote Originally Posted by Twin2 View Post
    Well I figure something had to have hitched a ride on him, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to be used in an interesting way if my guess is right.
    That's a possibility, though my own assumption was slightly different: That in this other dimension, something merged with TIM, and became a part of him. Not that either would be more likely to be used with interesting results, of course...

EDIT: Today's strip...
    AAARGH! Too much emo! Too much emo! System overload!

Also, apparently the Royal Knights were the only knights in Callan. And the "government" (no, it doesn't say "king", merely "government") can just disband them.
    What kind of society is that? It obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with a medieval one, but how the hell does it work? Apparently, it really is just like the modern government, and the knights were something like an appointed committee, or something along these lines.
    Damnit, Mookie, flesh out your world finally!
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-12-07 at 03:00 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

5. - Top - End - #3935
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Hey, Luna, check it out, somebody massacred an entire temple full of people."

"Oh. Should we care about that?"

"Nah, I didn't have a vision or anything so they obviously were unimportant."
    a secret to everybody.

6. - Top - End - #3936
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

It burns us, precious! Burns our eyeses, it does!

A law of nature states: The bad-assness of a demon lord is directly anti-proportional to his skills as leader.
    I think you mean "inversely proportional."

Also, apparently the Royal Knights were the only knights in Callan. And the "government" (no, it doesn't say "king", merely "government") can just disband them.
    What kind of society is that? It obviously has nothing whatsoever to do with a medieval one, but how the hell does it work? Apparently, it really is just like the modern government, and the knights were something like an appointed committee, or something along these lines.
    Damnit, Mookie, flesh out your world finally!
    Not only that, wouldn't this news make Dominic happy? Hurray for inconsistent characterization!

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

7. - Top - End - #3937
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. Bunch of people were massacred, but since the Great Dominus didn't have a vision about it, it's not important. Seriously, if I've seen this outside the main site, I'd think it's a strip slay.
    Also, it looks like Mookie haven't yet decided if DD world is supposed to be medieval or Real World in Disguise. Well, circa 2000 strips apparently isn't enough.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-12-07 at 03:31 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #3938
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone else find the name "Pillar of Light Temple" horribly generic? I mean really, unless there is a giant luminous column coming from the heavens down to your holy site I think you can find something a little more descriptive to call your temple.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

9. - Top - End - #3939

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Does anyone else find the name "Pillar of Light Temple" horribly generic?
    FROM THE CREATIVE MINDS THAT BROUGHT YOU WINTER ARCHIPELAGO AND NIMMEL FEENIX
    a secret to everybody.

10. - Top - End - #3940
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    I think you mean "inversely proportional."
    I thought these would be both valid terms for the same thing, but apparently it was a Germanism. So yeah, inversely proportional it is. I'll correct the Encyclopedia entry immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Not only that, wouldn't this news make Dominic happy? Hurray for inconsistent characterization!
    But... he needed them! He needed the pain! For only the pain made him feel alive!

Also, I seem to have been either sleepy or unconcentrated when I read this strip; somehow, the content of the first two panels completely eluded me. Though maybe these were my brain's protective mechanisms against overwhelming stupidity, I'm not sure.
    ...Wow. Even Mookie can't be this incompetent, can he? He could just as well have written "Neutral Evil" all over Dominic's face. Enough priests have been slaughtered for it to be called a "Massacre", but it is not important since it did not trigger Dominic's alarms and they don't have to be concerned, don't even show sympathy?

Mookie, you're making it way too easy for us! We are supposed to be pointing out how your Mookie Sue is an evil monster, not you! You already have the comic, stop taking away our job too!
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-12-07 at 04:11 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #3941
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

But you guys must admit, the emo kid was quite hilarious

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

12. - Top - End - #3942

Quote Originally Posted by ryuan View Post
    But you guys must admit, the emo kid was quite hilarious
    Eh, I dunno, is it normal for a teenager to turn emo goth if their favorite knight organization/rock band/whatever got disbanded. It'd be amusing if he meant for it to be some sort of satire, but it just seemed... odd to me, not to mention excessive, sure, they might angst for abit, but to start wearing black clothes and putting on makeup?

13. - Top - End - #3943
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I think so, too.
    Just not as insanity inducing, merely insanely stupid.

Bourbon? Given the context, I thought it would be Victory gin!
    Flavored with cloves.

14. - Top - End - #3944
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tekraen View Post
    Flavored with cloves.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree..."
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #3945
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    Eh, I dunno, is it normal for a teenager to turn emo goth if their favorite knight organization/rock band/whatever got disbanded. It'd be amusing if he meant for it to be some sort of satire, but it just seemed... odd to me, not to mention excessive, sure, they might angst for abit, but to start wearing black clothes and putting on makeup?
    Oh, it's clearly going to be an awkward attempt at satire, but I, for one, have high hopes for Emo Garrick.

It's the first time I've smiled at DD in ages!
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

16. - Top - End - #3946
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Oh, it's clearly going to be an awkward attempt at satire, but I, for one, have high hopes for Emo Garrick.

It's the first time I've smiled at DD in ages!
    Frankly, the way it was done makes me think it is probably just a one time gag joke. Maybe he'll continue... but I pray not, because knowing Mookie, he'll twist it in some foul way.
    Maybe we'll have to empathize with emos and see how they are really just a nice interesting culture unto themselves?
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2007-12-07 at 10:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #3947
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh god..... my eyes are burning..... see what you did Mookie, now I have no choice but to turn off my computer and study for my exam (psychology, maybe i can find exacty what his problems are if i search long enough)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

18. - Top - End - #3948
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Frankly, the way it was done makes me think it is probably just a one time gag joke. Maybe he'll continue... but I pray not, because knowing Mookie, he'll twist it in some foul way.
    Maybe we'll have to empathize with emos and see how they are really just a nice interesting culture unto themselves?
    Oh, come on, even Mookie can't possibly be that...

no, wait, don't say it, or I'll jinx the damn thing.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

19. - Top - End - #3949
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Oh, come on, even Mookie can't possibly be that...

no, wait, don't say it, or I'll jinx the damn thing.
    I'm torn. On one hand, an emo storyline would hurt both the eyes and the brain. On the other hand, can you imagine the Slays we could do?

20. - Top - End - #3950
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I was just looking for a good name! Thank you, kukn!
    You're welcome

Kuddos to Mookie for that excellent strip slay of his own comic!
    That Belkar. As stubborn as he is stone cold sexy.

Still a Belkar fan.

21. - Top - End - #3951
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, at long last we see Dominic's plan coming in to full effect. He'd planned the Batle for Barthis right from the start, knowing full well that Serk would have used the most corrupt knights in the kingdom to referee the fight. That was when the first seeds of doubt were sewn throughout the first caste. Then he allowed himself to be arrested by Siegfried during the War in Hell, and even antognized the knights further to ensure that they would never let him leave. Sure enough, our blue demon intervened, and Dominic had cleverly set things up so that only a full-out prison revolt could be a viable option to save the world. Of course, the prisoners all ran out and spoke of abuses by the royal knights to protect themselves from re-arrest, proving that even members of the Fourth and Fifth Castes must bend to the will of Lord Dominus.

Now all that work has come to fruition: Will the Royal Knights, the only organization to oppose Dominus, disbanded, there will be nothing to stand in the way of the New World Order. Nothing, that is, except Karnak and the forces of Hell. Indeed, it appears that the recent attack by Siegfried was just a ruse: Miranda's ward may have protected Dominic from demons, but it also protects demons from Dominic. Already, we see that The Infernomancer is capable of striking undetected (albeit at Fifth Caste Members), and Dominic has even failed to notice that Garret, one of his own students, has succumbed to the lure of power of the title of the Infernomancer of Emo.
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #3952
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Stuff
    That explanation seriously sounds like Death Note level crap.

The emo kid is stupid. Making fun of emo has been done so much that it's just too easy. On top of that, it's totally random 4th wall breaking again. In a world of magic and sorcerery, there is an emo sub-culture? It's painful because it's been done ad nauseum.

Also, how the heck does a kingdom even function when it's lost its monarch and only heir? No revolution? No grabs for power? I mean, what the heck happened?

I also have no clue what kingdom in their right mind would say no to any able bodied, well armed and armored, well trained warriors. No sane kingdom would do that, and this kingdom is completely insane with bloodlust and racism.

23. - Top - End - #3953
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    That explanation seriously sounds like Death Note level crap.
    Welcome to the Deeganverse.
    The emo kid is stupid. Making fun of emo has been done so much that it's just too easy. On top of that, it's totally random 4th wall breaking again. In a world of magic and sorcerery, there is an emo sub-culture? It's painful because it's been done ad nauseum.
    It's not emo, it's extreme mourning.
    Also, how the heck does a kingdom even function when it's lost its monarch and only heir? No revolution? No grabs for power? I mean, what the heck happened?
    It's rather simple: The kingdom didn't lose its monarch and only heir. Warlord Damaske, not King Damaske. Judging by what we've seen, I'd say Callan is more of a corrupt Byzantine bueracracy run by a greedy council.
    I also have no clue what kingdom in their right mind would say no to any able bodied, well armed and armored, well trained warriors. No sane kingdom would do that, and this kingdom is completely insane with bloodlust and racism.
    A kingdom with Sacred Knights from the Temple and a heavy population of Wizards.

24. - Top - End - #3954
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    Welcome to the Deeganverse.It's not emo, it's extreme mourning.
    That reminds me of what I said earlier about some fantasy writers being lazy.

It's rather simple: The kingdom didn't lose its monarch and only heir. Warlord Damaske, not King Damaske. Judging by what we've seen, I'd say Callan is more of a corrupt Byzantine bueracracy run by a greedy council.
    Where is there any evidence of a council? Also, why is it called a 'Kingdom' if it doesn't actually have a real monarch? Shouldn't it be called the Callan Empire?

Edit: Link
    There are royalty, which means that somebody should have been thrust upon the throne by now. Unless the entire royal line ended with the death of Siggy.

A kingdom with Sacred Knights from the Temple and a heavy population of Wizards.
    That doesn't even make sense. How can you possibly have too big a military as a highly aggressive militaristic nation? Especially considering how they had to resort to infernomancers in their war with the orcs. It doesn't sound like they should be confident in their military strength after only winning a war because they made a bargain with demons (then betraying them).
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-12-07 at 02:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #3955
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Don't forget spanskindex suits! And superhero comics. And footballbrawler game. And a furry... err, well, there was the time Rachel tied Dom up, put cat ears on him and gave him a collar with kitty bell. And Winter Archipelago.

And cultures that are blatant (and idealized) analogues to RL cultures. (Orcs = Native Americans, Winter Archipelago Werewolves = Russians).
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

26. - Top - End - #3956
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    And cultures that are blatant (and idealized) analogues to RL cultures. (Orcs = Native Americans, Winter Archipelago Werewolves = Russians).
    Uh oh. I just realized that we haven't seen the Mookie-verse Japan. And with his influences, it's probably coming soon.

27. - Top - End - #3957
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Uh oh. I just realized that we haven't seen the Mookie-verse Japan. And with his influences, it's probably coming soon.
    Something like this?

I can't even imagine a Mookified Japan.

28. - Top - End - #3958
    Titan in the Playground

On the Kingdom of Callan

Spoiler
    Show
    The Kingdom does in fact have a king and judging by Garrick's mission the "royal knights" are the elite protectors of the kingdom's loyalty. Their commander is a Lord which indicates that Royal Knights are not necessarily nobility, and that the King (or someone) can raise people to the nobility.

So there must be an army separate from the Royal Knights (for Warlord Damaske to control, after all) which means disbanding the king's elite soldiers is unlikely to destroy the kingdom. Now, it's not wise to disband your bodyguard, but considering what it has gone through, it may be sane for the Invisible King to scrap all these guys and start from scratch.

Now, how is the kingdom actually run? According to today's strip "the government" seems to be doing things. This implies that there must be some other body aside from the king who makes decisions.

I bet Mookie is thinking of some sort of modern bureaucracy and/or deliberative body that actually runs things - which means Callan is looking increasingly like a late British Monarchy (with a weaker king, giving up control to rich guys). In truth, Mookie hasn't thought this far ahead, and is just using cyphers, as he always does.

Summary
    1. The Royal Knights are an elite order, not the entire army
    2. There is a King, but he has not yet been illustrated
    3. Mookie has no idea how to construct a political organization, and is using inappropriate cyphers because he doesn't know better

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

29. - Top - End - #3959
    Titan in the Playground

I can't even imagine a Mookified Japan.
    I don't even want to imagine a Mookified Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    On the Kingdom of Callan *stuff*
    Good job on seeking out this information, Oracle_Hunter. It fits more or less with what I figured myself.

Nevertheless, an order of noblemen (or nobled men, whatever) formerly close to the king seems unlikely to just suck it up. It seems to me they would rebel against such a decision - in fact, depending on their power, it might well throw the kingdom into civil war. In the real world, it certainly would have, as other nobles would start to fear for their power as well. But maybe this actually will happen yet.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

30. - Top - End - #3960
    Titan in the Playground

Good job on seeking out this information, Oracle_Hunter. It fits more or less with what I figured myself.

Nevertheless, an order of noblemen (or nobled men, whatever) formerly close to the king seems unlikely to just suck it up. It seems to me they would rebel against such a decision - in fact, depending on their power, it might well throw the kingdom into civil war. In the real world, it certainly would have, as other nobles would start to fear for their power as well. But maybe this actually will happen yet.
    There's a bit of a difference between noblemen (and even nobled men) and elite soldiers. All those "knights" didn't have lands or real titles - remember that Siegfried was a Lord in addition to being a Royal Knight. So instead of people with retainers and political influence, you've just kicked a bunch of guys with swords out of an elite position. Chances are they were reabsorbed into the standard military, since they still need to eat.

Now, if a feudal king had tried doing that to his vassals, you'd be absolutely correct. Each of those vassals (knights) was required to maintain a portion of the king's army, and deal with local disturbances. You try to strip them of their lands, and you have a rebellion on your hands. Here the Royal Knights are just a type of solider, just like the Sacred Knights are just a bunch of guys with holier swords.

Yes, this is an inaccurate depiction of "knights" in the strictly historical sense, but even most legitimate fantasy stories treat knights as just a type of elite warrior instead of an essential part of the political system. I mean, if all those "wandering knights" actually had lands and people they were supposed to be running, they wouldn't have much time to wander, no?

EDIT:
    Link
    There are royalty, which means that somebody should have been thrust upon the throne by now. Unless the entire royal line ended with the death of Siggy.
    An interesting link. I'd say that Mookie was being lazy with his scripting, since those very same Knights later are called the Royal Knights. But even if Siggy had some royal blood in him, it doesn't mean he's likely in line for the throne. The Damaske family could be cousins (possibly distant) from the true royal line, and the King likes to keep all potential rivals within arms reach.

I bet we'll never see the king though. Mookie likes to keep his evil political organizations as faceless as possible.

Aside: Someone should do a LOLDeegan with the caption "Invisible King"
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-12-07 at 03:37 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad