New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 79 of 301 FirstFirst ... 2954697071727374757677787980818283848586878889104129179 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 9010
  1. - Top - End - #2341
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Turcano View Post
    Anyway, is it just me, or does Dominic look even more wooden than normal in that last panel?
    Well, Dominic doesn't exactly do a lot of fighting... or moving for that matter, so he's bound to look a little stiff in an action scene.

Oh, and he has that artificial leg too. That can't help.

Heh... that just reminded me of this.

WARNING - Tangent ahead!
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's times like these that I really miss those earlier strips. Imagine if Mookie had decided to make an alternate timeline where Dominic failed to prevent the Storm of Souls from getting lose? A world where Celesto was the god-king, and the Deegans were a band of Future Badasses (appropriately dressed, of course) trying to save what they could?

Man, we gotta get a thread going for Deegan Altverses, but should we devote one to each storyline? Or just have a single thread for collective narration? Do we dare step into the dark waters that is Fan Fiction?
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-10-22 at 07:34 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

2. - Top - End - #2342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't have a good grasp on psychology, but do people in depressions often talk themselves out of it?
    From my experience (my grandmother being chronically depressive, myself suffering from depression occassionally), one usually rather talks oneself deeper into it.

Still, I think this revelation might eventually have come to Luna realistically - even a depressive person can brighten up after enough success.

I can't quite decide between NE and CE for Jacob. Both makes sense somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Do we dare step into the dark waters that is Fan Fiction?
    It wouldn't exactly be fanfiction if it came from us.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-10-22 at 07:38 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #2343
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Sorry, I meant from Mookie's point of view. The Duke was totally dead-on with his lawful evil assessment.
    So what do you think about my prestige class suggestions for Dominic Deegan? Just note that Mogul of Dispater, Veil of Leviathan and Infiltrator of Beelzebub do nothing for Dominic's arcane spellcasting or psionic powers, but fit his behavor and style. Cardinal of Asmodeus requires the ability to cast 5th level divine spells as a cleric. All require that you worship that particular Grand Arch-Devil/Lord of the Nine.
    On the issue of killer or sadistic DMs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That sort of person is not worthy of being a Game Master of any sort. The GM is there to entertain and bring enjoyment to the player group, thus being entertained and enjoying himself likewise. Soneone that finds pleasure in making others unhappy is a sad case indeed. That kind of GM should be left alone to lurk in online MMP games to ambush newbies' characters as they enter the setting :]

Cheers,
    Gary

4. - Top - End - #2344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malagigi View Post
    So what do you think about my prestige class suggestions for Dominic Deegan? Just note that Mogul of Dispater, Veil of Leviathan and Infiltrator of Beelzebub do nothing for Dominic's arcane spellcasting or psionic powers, but fit his behavor and style. Cardinal of Asmodeus requires the ability to cast 5th level divine spells as a cleric. All require that you worship that particular Grand Arch-Devil/Lord of the Nine.
    Nah, I'm pretty sure Dominic is a Wizard (Diviner) 5 / Marty Stu 10. I mean, he has all the pre-reqs: bloodline (Deegan), the Author Avatar Feat, and he is of the Smarmy alignment.

While we're here, I'd like to point out that Luna is a Wizard 5 / Emo 3 / Badass 1. Low level? Sure, but she gets massive bonuses from Dominic's Protection From Editors aura.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

5. - Top - End - #2345
    Firbolg in the Playground

Actually, I see Dominic as more of a Psion (Seer). They get unique powers like sensitivity to psychic impressions and object reading. Besides, Dominic has never done much in the way of studying spellbooks and meddling with arcane components: He's got the power on his own, and learns how to focus it himself. Plus he does all those weird mind effects like Ray of Redemption and whatnot.

So, Seer 10 / Mary Sue (infinity plus one).
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

6. - Top - End - #2346
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

WARNING - Tangent ahead!
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's times like these that I really miss those earlier strips. Imagine if Mookie had decided to make an alternate timeline where Dominic failed to prevent the Storm of Souls from getting lose? A world where Celesto was the god-king, and the Deegans were a band of Future Badasses (appropriately dressed, of course) trying to save what they could?

Man, we gotta get a thread going for Deegan Altverses, but should we devote one to each storyline? Or just have a single thread for collective narration? Do we dare step into the dark waters that is Fan Fiction?
    That... that is an awsome idea.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

7. - Top - End - #2347

Quote Originally Posted by Manticorkscrew View Post
    Doesn't it?

Well... if only because Mookie couldn't draw an erotic scene if his life depended on it.

I liked "A Spell for Chamelion". After that I was turned away from Piers Anthony's books by his overwhelming sexism rather than by his shoddy writing and over-reliance on puns.

Wait... shoddy writing... over-reliance on puns... Jack Mann, you're right! Mookie is Piers Anthony for the Webcomic generation.

I don't think that Mookie is as sexist as Piers Anthony (although that isn't much of a compliment). Although, whether or not there is underlying sexism in Mookie's work is a moot point (by which I mean that it's worth debating).

To be fair, he has tried to portray many of the female characters as competent Action Girls, although Luna occasionally slips into Faux Action Girl territory.
    Really, was Piers Anthony that bad? I've only ever read the first two of the "Incarnations" series, with death and time. I didn't notice any sexism there (ok, so maybe Luna was a bit weird) but nothing over the top. Though the puns did piss me off. And I did find the story a little up it's own ass.
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

8. - Top - End - #2348
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, Piers Anthony didn't seem too bad at first...

It had a cumulative effect, though. After a while I stopped reading the books, but I imagine they got even worse. And yes, his stories were very sexist, while at the same time pretending not to be. I could put up with that- I was a young, more-than-usually naive teenager at the time of reading- but it became more and more obvious that the books were also devoid of literary merit.

I think Dominic Deegan suffers from the same sort of thing. I thought it was good at first, but as I started reading through to the more modern stuff, the combined effect was enough that I can't even read the earlier strips without being unpleasantly reminded of the later suckiness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Kalirush for the most excellent Avatar.

9. - Top - End - #2349

I read them when I was 14, so I probably missed a lot of things I would pick-up now.
    - George Orwell, 1984

10. - Top - End - #2350

He writes all right juvenile novels. His problem is that the only way he knows of to write adult novels is to write the same way, but toss in a lot of sex and forced metaphors to prove whatever the hell he thinks is right at the time.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

11. - Top - End - #2351
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    He writes all right juvenile novels. His problem is that the only way he knows of to write adult novels is to write the same way, but toss in a lot of sex and forced metaphors to prove whatever the hell he thinks is right at the time.
    On Piers Anthony:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His Incarnation series was OK, but even there he made sure to throw in an awkward relationship with varyingly explicit sex scenes. Yeah, a lot of it goes over you head at the time - or doesn't seem unusual. I say his Incarnation series was his best overall, followed probably with some Xanth. His Apprentice Adept Jumped the Shark around the time he added the robot-child-wizard-thing. His Mode series started out super-creepy and got worse... I only got to Book 3.

Moral of the story: I've read more Piers Anthony than any man should. Like Jack said, his juvenile books (read: Xanth) are perfect for young male adult readers (dunno how young girls would like the awkward-and-sexual relations with very little communication; possibly OK?) but as you move up the age brackets, it gets pretty iffy.

By all means read the first few Incarnations - up to War is pretty good. But the series plays out very quickly... not Orson Scott Card quickly, but pretty fast.

The comments about Mookie = Piers Anthony are very deft, by the way. I had not thought of it, but DD does read a lot like Xanth - though with much less sexuality... or at least much more diffuse.

PS - I've noticed that my posts have really started to stretch out, so I'm throwing spoiler tags around long, off-topic bits, for aesthetic reasons.

In case you were wondering

Additionally: How would people feel about a DD Altverse play-by-post? A strictly storyteller system exploring the post-Storm reality, with every player controlling a Caste I or II character?

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

12. - Top - End - #2352
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't think Piers Anthony was so much sexist as clueless. Admittedly, it has been more than a few years since I've read his things, but I recall more "inability to write women" leading to bizarre moments than anything else. I have vague memories that there were strong female characters; however, all of the men were sex-obessed (to the point of the hopefully-infamous panty rule).

(For those who do not know that rule, his Xanth books had a "system" whereby so much as a glance at a woman's panties was sufficient to put men into a fugue state, wherein they stood stock still, were highly suggestible and lost all memories of what happened during that time. Women occasionally took advantage of this against many male protagonists.)
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

13. - Top - End - #2353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    I didn't think Piers Anthony was so much sexist as clueless. Admittedly, it has been more than a few years since I've read his things, but I recall more "inability to write women" leading to bizarre moments than anything else. I have vague memories that there were strong female characters; however, all of the men were sex-obessed (to the point of the hopefully-infamous panty rule).

(For those who do not know that rule, his Xanth books had a "system" whereby so much as a glance at a woman's panties was sufficient to put men into a fugue state, wherein they stood stock still, were highly suggestible and lost all memories of what happened during that time. Women occasionally took advantage of this against many male protagonists.)
    Oh yes, that's why Xanth is very good for the lads. Women are strange and mysterious creatures who have special powers over men - which is about where your average pubescent (or slightly pre) boy is sitting. He has somewhat more complex, though slightly off, women in his Incarnations series, but the books with male incarnations run better than those with female protagonists.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #2354
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    That reminds me of something humorous I saw on the History Channel recently, where apparently the idea of table cloths came about during the Victorian era not to protect the table itself but to instead cover the legs of tables to help suppress men's overwhelming desire for legs in general (ever wonder why they don't just cover the table itself but usually extend to cover the legs as well? Now you know.) The word 'legs' was even given its own euphemism of 'limbs' to avoid inciting mad lustful thoughts in the dirty dirty minds of men.
    Last edited by Monnock; 2007-10-23 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added the word 'but,' hmmm... irony.

15. - Top - End - #2355
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    That reminds me of something humorous I saw on the History Channel recently, where apparently the idea of table cloths came about during the Victorian era not to protect the table itself but to instead cover the legs of tables to help suppress men's overwhelming desire for legs in general (ever wonder why they don't just cover the table itself but usually extend to cover the legs as well? Now you know.) The word 'legs' was even given its own euphemism of 'limbs' to avoid inciting mad lustful thoughts in the dirty dirty minds of men.
    Victorians: Bringing Puritanism to outrageously absurd levels since 1837.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

16. - Top - End - #2356

Additionally: How would people feel about a DD Altverse play-by-post? A strictly storyteller system exploring the post-Storm reality, with every player controlling a Caste I or II character?
    I would so do that. Although, we probably want to work out the setting details beforehand.

17. - Top - End - #2357
    Titan in the Playground

I would so do that. Although, we probably want to work out the setting details beforehand.
    I was thinking of making it a collective narration style game (kind of like The Mountain Witch) where people could freely narrate their characters and maybe judge an aspect of the world.

It'd be more of a "collective writing" scheme, with some chance to play about with characters. Yeah, it would require a few more ground rules, but we can totally work that out via PM if there is actual interest.

Plus, you realize that in the Altverse, Siggy is still alive - and unredeemed

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

18. - Top - End - #2358

The only thing is I'd have to read that bit of plot over again. Yeah, sounds good. I already have a few decent-to-good ideas for post-apocalyptic DD verse.

Dom should take up smoking again, only cigarettes, because it looks tougher.

19. - Top - End - #2359
    Titan in the Playground

The only thing is I'd have to read that bit of plot over again. Yeah, sounds good. I already have a few decent-to-good ideas for post-apocalyptic DD verse.

Dom should take up smoking again, only cigarettes, because it looks tougher.
    I'm thinking he would have an eyepatch (to cover a missing eye!) and a Zeerusty mechanical leg. Too bad he's not beefy enough to justify a stogie...

Milov will definitely have to be an alcoholic. Why? Who knows, but I'm just thinking about the current Emo Milov, maybe with a nice set of stubble and bum clothing.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

20. - Top - End - #2360
    Titan in the Playground

I usually don't care much about PbP, but this? I would immediately participate.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

21. - Top - End - #2361
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why is dominic's leg all good now?

Your all probably going to say, "Because it is in their minds and Dominic doesn't have a missing leg in his mind", or something. But if so answer me this, WHY doesn't dominic just go for a bit of an over kill and in is mind use some sort of kickass spell/robot/magic robot/bring in the Elemecca(?)
    |

Apperently my sig was too long last time... why don't they put a limit on it then?

22. - Top - End - #2362
    Titan in the Playground

Ack, the art has gone mad! It is beyond space, time, and continuity!

So, who saves the day this time? Luna's looking like an early favorite, due to her "development" this arc - and no, I'm not letting her total lack of mental powers (and questionable emotional stability) stop me in making this prediction.

I mean, it's either her or Gothy... or Jayden decides to swing back to useful. Heaven help us if Jayden saves the day.

EDIT: 16Bit, Dominic's super-attacks are all Sooooo Last Season!
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2007-10-23 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Phew, all better

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #2363
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

"Huh-huh, he said 'gives him the willies.'"

Guess what, Mookie, you're not the only one who feels terrible looking at this strip.

See, this is what happens when you encourage people when they do new things.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

24. - Top - End - #2364
    Titan in the Playground

I like where this is going.

No, I'm not speaking about the content, but about the layout. Yesterday he broke with the 8 panel style, and today is positively creative. It's time to give praise where praise is due - Mookie seems to finally realise the importance of dynamic layout. A major improvement, methinks.

The faces Milov and Dominic make in the last two panels though are really funny. I'm eager to see what the strip slays will turn them into.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #2365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    The faces Milov and Dominic make in the last two panels though are really funny. I'm eager to see what the strip slays will turn them into.
    You know... with only a little bit of touch up, those bloodstains can easily be turned into Evil Beards.

Excellent...

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

26. - Top - End - #2366
    Pixie in the Playground

I just thought of something with all the references to Piers Anthony. I hate Piers Anthony for about the same dead horse reason that people hate Dominic Deegan: bad bad handling of rape. I kind of liked the Mode series and the last Mode book was a long time in coming.

Because it was very bad.

Besides people having sex all the time they have the female protagonist - who was gang raped sometime before the series started - while facing her past say esentially say she'd have been all fine with being raped if they would have played with her boobs a little first.

Also child molestation would be okay if only our society wasn't so closed minded.

I wish I was making this up.

27. - Top - End - #2367

Quote Originally Posted by daniellefaye View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I just thought of something with all the references to Piers Anthony. I hate Piers Anthony for about the same dead horse reason that people hate Dominic Deegan: bad bad handling of rape. I kind of liked the Mode series and the last Mode book was a long time in coming.

Because it was very bad.

Besides people having sex all the time they have the female protagonist - who was gang raped sometime before the series started - while facing her past say esentially say she'd have been all fine with being raped if they would have played with her boobs a little first.

Also child molestation would be okay if only our society wasn't so closed minded.

I'm rather glad I never read those books now
    Last edited by colonelslime; 2007-10-23 at 10:28 AM.
    - George Orwell, 1984

28. - Top - End - #2368

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daniellefaye View Post

Because it was very bad.

It was played slightly better in Bio of a Space Tyrant. Slightly.

Once.

Well, no, Anthony's future settings tend to be more than a little dystopian and more than a little, uh...perverse.

Don't mind me. What's this about an alternate history DDverse PbP?

29. - Top - End - #2369

Quote Originally Posted by Monnock View Post
    I've heard that. Although accounts do vary as to whether the story is true or if it is just a joke about puritanical attitudes at the time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Kalirush for the most excellent Avatar.

30. - Top - End - #2370
    Dwarf in the Playground

What would be funny though is if just some random people walk past and see a Spellwolf and a one legged dude with their eyes closed slowly being beaten by nobody in sight. Most people would probably just move on and think they were Drunk/drugged up/Crazy/all of the above
    |

Apperently my sig was too long last time... why don't they put a limit on it then?