New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom

Obyrin nods grimly, and takes point, taking a quick moment to center his energies, he moves off, seemingly hiding from view as he merges with the bushes.

Spoiler
    Show

Shift 4 essentia into claws

Hide - (1d20+16)[21]

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Gathering what you can, you make good time on the road, and encounter no trace of the hobgoblins. It only takes a few more hours to reach the outskirts of the town, moving through some rough fields and pastures. Cresting a final hill, you see the road descent into a small town build mostly on the near side of a broad, sluggish river. Six old stone piers jut from the water, marking the spot where a bridge once stood, but the span itself is long gone. Instead, a couple of long thick ropes cross the river, each secured to a flat bottomed ferryboat. Fields of cereal grains and a few orchards surround the town, though more land seems tamed on the far side.

As you descend you see a group of armed men and women, three in leather, one in mail, standing guard near a small shrine. They watch you approach, and the one in mail waves you to a stop as you near.

"Halt and state your business, strangers."

Spoiler
    Show
    The river is the Elsir.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Vera

The priestess reigns her horse to a stop, gazing down at the guards with an air of indifference.

"We are about our own business, and mean to pass through this town on our way to investigate the Witchwood and Vaarth Keep. We also cleared your road of some hobgoblin rodents a few miles back."

Her level gaze suggests that they should get out of the way and be about their business.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Paulus

"There's at least one hobgoblin still at large, and some dead people in a house near the road. Has anyone gone missing recently? Any other reports of attacks?"
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Obyrin

Obyrin moves through what little undergrowth was available, but at a certain point, there wasn't enough, and so he shifted his energies back and walked along with the rest of them, nodding politely to the guards.

"Give them the money Vera, they could probably use it more than us, and it wasn't ours to begin with."
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quinn nodded as Obyrin spoke, "Yes, please. We did not earn such a reward legitimately and taking what does not belong to us would make us no better than the Hobgoblins we just slayed."

Turning to the guard, Quinn bowed his head, "Greetings, noble guard of this quaint village. I am Quinn Jacob, Crusader of Wee Jas. My companions and I, as you've heard, are seeking passage through this village to other areas nearby. We are in something of a hurry and would greatly appreciate free passage to the Witchwood."

Spoiler: Diplomacy Check
    Show

(1d20+11)[22]
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

The lead guard shakes his head at Vera's blunt statement, but before he can respond the other party members break in, with information more interesting to the guard.

"Damn. I'll have to ask around, but we've know there were hobgoblins were sulking around for awhile. You must be lucky, or strong, to have survived them. If you want to give the money to the town Speaker Wiston is your best bet, though you'll have to talk to Drathgar about the ferry ride. I'll send a runner to get the Speaker if you wish, He'll find you at the ferry."

He motions to one of his men, though they wait for your affirmative before leaving.

Spoiler
    Show
    The town isn't large enough or built closely enough to get lost: the road you're on will lead you to the ferry easily. If you like you can chose to explore the town a bit, or go directly to the ferry as well as the meeting with the Speaker if you're serious about giving the money.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"Are there any good places to eat and rest in town? We're weary from our travels. Also, any merchants we might reequip with, or shrines to pay homage to?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

The man gives you a strange look "The old Bridge Inn is just ahead, on your left.
    If you prefer, you can try the Green Apple, on the other side of the square. I prefer the Old Bridge myself.

As for resupplying, the shrine to Pelor is just up ahead and one to the Old Ways across the river. The Smithy is just past the Shrine, and Morlin might be able to help you. The general merchants are closer to the square, or across the river.
    "

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Vera

Giving Obyrin a strange look, Vera turns back to the guards. "Thanks. We'll be off, then?" Over her shoulder to Obyrin: "I lay no claim to the spoils, I just let you load them on my cart. If you want to give them to the town, then by all means. I kill goblins for free." She clucks her horse to walk forward, a long lead trailing to the mule and cart following behind.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

The runner heads off as you enter the town proper, passing Pelor's shrine as well as a smithy, where you can see a dwarf shaping metal into a breastplate. The Town isn't too large, and being split by the Elsir makes it feel even smaller. You come onto a central square, interrupting a game of tag as the children stop, then point and gawk at you. A few of the more adventurous ones even follow you as you approach the ferry.

Soon the runner reappears, along with a tall, balding man of about fifty and a capable looking swordswoman.

"Hello, my name is Norro Wiston, and I'm the town speaker. I understand you encountered Hobgoblins on the road here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that most of you want to go to the Ferry. If you want to go elsewhere or explore the town a bit, post either where you're going or what you want to look for.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

"That we did. A half dozen or so of them, well-armed, and accompanied by demon hounds. There was a spellcaster among them, though he seems to have gotten away. They looked to have slain a farmer and a merchant caravan. You should be on guard."

13. - Top - End - #73

As the group reached the town center, Quinn glared at Pelor's shrine, though he refrained from making any comment. "Hmm, a smithy...maybe I could purchase some crossbow bolts," He mused quietly to himself as they passed the dwarf hard at work.

"They weren't exceptionally well-trained, but they implied they were but a fraction of their force. And with at least one spellcaster in their midst and possibly more, your town could be a prime target for them," Quinn adds to Arnl's point. "As a member of the Crusaders of Wee Jas, I'd be happy to send a message to my fellows and with any luck, you could have some of them here to guard your town within a week," He offered with a polite smile.

Spoiler: Diplomacy Check
    Show

(1d20+11)[14]

"Further...do you or any of your townspeople know much about Vaarth Keep? We're on our way there and any information you can give us would be appreciated very much."
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2017-08-24 at 08:47 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Vera

Dismounting, Vera goes to the back of her cart and retrieves the bag of coins, tossing it to the Speaker.

"We retrieved this from the hobgoblins, probably taken from caravans or merchants on their way into or out of town. Do with it as you will." Glancing over at Obyrin, she murmurs "Satisfied?" before gathering her horse and mule's leads and looking towards the ferry.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Paulus

Paulus follows the others, his attire and broad shoulders keeping any of the human children from mistaking him as one of them. If only adults were always so perceptive...

"If there are others, you should keep watch. A night attack could do a lot of damage before anyone was awake and ready to fight back."
    Campaign Logs:

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Obyrin shrugs his shoulders a the no-so-subtle glares and remarks, but merely nods his head when the money has been handed over, he had no qualms with being singled out by Vera, but his morality was clear cut, even if sometimes jarring for the others. He had no need for healing, or needing new equipment, he would move out to the river on the other side, and look for a way across.

Nodding to Vera, an almost strange show of respect, he moved of silently, camouflaged all to well for the mid day.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

The speaker take the bag of gold, looking into it for a moment, before handing it off to the runner.
    "Thank you. I'll make sure this is put to good use. And thank you for killing at least one raiding party; the hobgoblins have been troubling us for weeks. They started harrying merchants going west, and just recently started hitting farms and travelers on the eastern roads. Beyond the threat to our lives, the road is our lifeblood. If the Hobgoblines make the Dawn way impassible to the west, trade won't come this way, and we'll be ruined."

The swordswoman speaks up. "And it looks like our interests might be aligned. You want to check out Vraath Keep? That's the only structure left in the Witchwood. The Hobgoblins are certain to have occupied it, and it might even be the base for whatever tribe came down from the mountains. Normally we can handle the hobgoblins, but these seem more numerous than the normal tribe,
    and with strong support. It's all we can do to guard the town and large caravans.
    "

"So, will you help us?"

18. - Top - End - #78

"Of course, of course! Such an alliance would prove most fortuitous for both parties," Quinn replied enthusiastically, before clearing his throat and calming slightly, "We'll need a bit of time to restock our supplies, but we should be able to set out within a day at absolute most. Thank you, Norro Wiston for your help."

After this reply, Quinn heads to the smithy, "Pardon me, good smith...how much would it cost for you to make me a set of crossbow bolts?"
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

At they Ferry
    "Thank you. You'll be helping a lot of people."

Before they leave leaves, the Soranna gives some last advice. "If You
    re wandering around in the Witchwood, I would advice you seek out Jorr. His cabin is out of the way, but it might be worth the walk. No one knows the woods better. If you take the Witch Trail, go left at the first big trail crossing: Jorr's cabin is about seven miles in. Or, if you're on the Dawn Way, take a right on a trail about nine miles from the forest edge. Jorr's Cabin is near the Blackwater.
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    It's about 5 in the afternoon. You technically have a few hours of daylight remaining.

The Smithy
    The dwarf you saw before is still working when you arrive, working on a red hot breastplate. His apron has the sign of Mordain on it, indicating either a very devout smith or that their is something more to this Dwarf. He acknowledges your entrance, but continues to work on his current piece, until he finally quenches it and sets it aside.

"I can give you 10 bolts for one crown weight. With all the trouble around I even have a bit of a stockpile, so I sell you them now. What are you planning on using them on?"

Spoiler
    Show
    A crown is the typical gold coin (ie 1 gp) used in the vale, but due to the amount of trade and different city states most merchants measure things by equivalent weights.

20. - Top - End - #80

"Primarily some Hobgoblins," Quinn replies with a dry chuckle as he opens up his coin pouch and retrieves 5 gold pieces, "Though, if this particular journey ends soon enough, some of them might end up in a zombie or some other form of undead. I'll take fifty bolts, please," He finishes, handing over the pieces.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

"If we move quickly, we can likely still catch Jorr before dinner. I'm happy to continue along the path Fharlanghn has set before me, but I wouldn't fault you lot if you wanted to rest."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Paulus

The halfling gestures at the road ahead. "I think I'd rather find his cabin than stay here. This city is an exposed target, and it's always better to not be where your enemy expects you to be."

He looks to see if there's any sign of the guard being increased.
    Campaign Logs:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Obyrin chimes in, having been listening the whole time, he merely nodded at what had been said, not needing to speak his piece. You knew him well enough, that he would say otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"Shall we take the Witch Trail or the Dawn Way?" Arnl'Ral asked. "My preference is for whichever is faster. I imagine this Jorr will be easier to speak with if we don't come crashing through the forest in the middle of the night."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Vera

The young priestess flips her hair, walking to her horse and swinging into the saddle. "The high road or the low road, it matters not so long as there are goblins to slay. I will find us the path,
    whichever we choose. Heh, "witch"ever. Witch trail, then?"

26. - Top - End - #86

"Whichever route, we should decide soon. Loathe as I am to rely on that disgustingly selfish ball of light glittering in the sky like a filthy blood-diamond, we lose much of our ability to find our destination without it. Therefore, we should set out at first daybreak tomorrow..." Quinn added as he walked up, his new bolts secure in his haversack, "Of course, I'd rather we were all well prepared before setting out, even if it costs us some time. 'Through preparation makes its own luck', as my old mentor used to say."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Anl'Ral nodded. "Very well. Tomorrow it is." He looked at Quinn for a moment, puzzlement spreading across his face. "I've never heard anyone complain about the sun as much as you.
    Shall we discuss your hatred of the source of life over an ale?"

28. - Top - End - #88

Quinn nodded at Anl'Ral, "I'd gladly discuss my hatred of Pelor and his foul symbol without the aid of alcohol...though, I won't turn down that ale either way," He agreed.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show