New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jade Regent

1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Jade Regent

Arthur nods as his theories are confirmed, unsurprised and uncaring. "Do you know what that creature is? I'm curious what would make it close to look for a new home and if we will be running into more of them."

After the hermit answers he gestures to the stairs for them to rejoin with Robin. "You said after all you have been through, just what did you mean by that?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No idea what it is. I've never seen one before. All I know is it tried to kill me . Walthus listens to Arthur's next question and replies, Life. Life happened sir. There is a lull in the conversation for a moment and then Walthus speaks up again. Well I thank you for what you've done. There must be some way I can repay you?... You said you needed a guide correct? Where was it you were wanting to go again?

3. - Top - End - #93

SwashbucklerGuy

"We are off to fight goblins, I'm planning on putting a stop to their ambushes. And I would rather not traverse these swamps alone. I'm guessing you can hold your own under pressure so maybe you would like to lend us a hand? I am intending to pay for your services from the reward money."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You know the goblins have been acting stange lately. Maybe I should accompany you on this little quest. Been a while since I've done anything of use, may as well tag along to make sure you two are safe. These swamps can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing. Of course I wasn't prepared for a fight with that creature, but killing goblins is a much simpler task. Walthus sighs. So much for taking things easy, thought I'd put my fighting days behind me and live peacefully in the swamp. Hahaha, well I guess that goes to show you, things don't always turn out the way you intend. We will eat and rest tonight and set out at dawn, the lazy little buggers will be passed out then and we may be able to get the jump on them... OH! I almost forgot, I'd like to give you something. Walthus scurries off into another room and comes back a few moments later with something bundled up in his arms. He holds his arms out to you. As you take it and unfurl it, it seems to be a cloak of some sort. You notice as you hold it seems to grow in size to match your height. Well, what do you think? It's really something isn't it?

Spoiler: cloak
    Show
    Cloak of resistance +1
    Last edited by Srduffman; 2017-08-16 at 06:19 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

SwashbucklerGuy

Arthur takes the cloak and admires it before swinging it over his back and letting it settle on his shoulders. "This is very nice, thank you." He yawns, the day's work catching up to him. "That seems fine, we'll have Robin act as scout and initial striker. I'll be sending backup after the initial contact once I use a fun little bit of magic to disrupt them." he pauses looking for which bed he should take before asking, "Do you know the swamp monster that Dolok said sent the goblins running?"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I know of it, yes. It's a terrible beast that has decided to make its home here in recent years. I know not of what it is, and I've never had a good look at it for long. It tends to hunt at night, and it is entirely to dangerous in the swamp at night. All sorts of fouls beast come out to hunt. I know this though... It is a foul beast with a nasty attitude that stands just taller then you. It looks almost human, but wrong... It's hard to explain... Walthus seems almost horrified at the thought of this beast.

7. - Top - End - #97

SwashbucklerGuy

"Hmm, that's very interesting. I'm planning on using it to spread panic amongst the goblins, tell me, how does this sound?" Using the magic he had trained with Dolok, Arthur tries to recreate the creatures howl. After seeing the hermits reaction he tries to find tune it since before continuing his questioning. "How is it that you have been able to live out here if it is so dangerous?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's a long story kid, and we rally should be getting some rest. It's gonna be a long day tomorrow. Walthus seems different somehow right now, as he's lost in thought.

9. - Top - End - #99

SwashbucklerGuy

Not one to argue with going to sleep, Arthur turns in. Before he falls asleep and she disappears Robin speaks to Walthus.

"He won't wake up until you kick him awake. Unfortunately if he doesn't get half a day of sleep he is useless for the other half. I won't be around until after he has woken, so I'm counting on you to take care of him." despite her harsh words, it is evident that she does care for him. As Arthur loses conciousnes, she disappears.
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2017-08-16 at 08:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Walthus agrees to this, then everyone goes to bed. You sleep easy through the night until dawn. You are rudely woken up by violent shaking from the small halfling. Hey! Wake up or we won't be able to get the jump on the goblins! Walthus tanks the covers off you and forces you out of bed. You look outside and it appears to be just as dark as it was when you fell asleep. Annoyed, you begin summoning Robin back to this plane.

11. - Top - End - #101

SwashbucklerGuy

Robin is quite pleased to be back in a timely fashion and thanks Walthus for his help. Before they sit down, Arthur takes a moment to ask Walthus what his plan was.

"I've told you my plan, we will have Robin sneak up on the goblins and alert us when she discovers any. Then we coordinate a two part attack wherein she attacks while simultaneously using my magic to disrupt them. I'll then send in reinforcements and keep an eye out if things go bad. My question is, where do you fit into this? Will you be partaking in the fight or will you just be a guide for us and require protection?"

Once that all becomes settled, he gets his gear together and prepared to leave.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Walthus stands up and walks out of the room without saying a word. He's gone only for a moment or two. When he returns he has a bow and a quiver full of arrows with him. You see, I came to this swamp to escape the prying eyes of civilization and all the annoyances of city life. Upon making myself comfortable in this little shack, I was attacked by goblins that had gone hunting in the swamp. They happened upon my new home and broke in and tried to kill me. Now this was several years ago, before the Sandpoint Raids I believe. Since then I've become quite skilled at killing those little bastards.
    Last edited by Srduffman; 2017-08-23 at 03:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

SwashbucklerGuy

"Wonderful, then you will stay with me and when you hear that howl, you'll know to attack. Sound good." Arthur yawns and finishes his preparations for departure, imagining how pleasant it would be if the goblins had just collectively decided to take a nap, allowing him to go home and do the same.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You grab you gear and prepare yourself for the battle ahead, while Walthus does the same. As soon as the sun peaks over the horizon and the faintest glimmer of light can be seen, Wlatgus announces that it's time to go. You head out back into the the swamp in search of the goblin menace. You stay on the path only for a few minutes then Walthus says, Keep up and don't get lost in here. Its tricky to maneuver through and is very easy to get separated in here. Also keep an eye out for any sign of movement. Walthus then steps off the path and into the thick, murky plant growth that is the swamp.

Spoiler: perception dc15
    Show
    you here a faint scream in the distance.
    Walthus perception= (1d20+9)[24]

15. - Top - End - #105

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Arthur perception (1d20+4)[8]
    Robin perception (1d20+12)[28]

16. - Top - End - #106

SwashbucklerGuy

Robin halts the group with a telepathic signal to Arthur. There was a scream of some sort

Really I didn't hear anything

That's because your head is filled with rocks

I suppose so, could you tell anything about the scream?

I'm not sure

See what you can find out

"It seems Robin has heard a yell out there, she is going now to investigate."

Spoiler
    Show
    Robin stealth towards scream keeping perception up

Stealth (1d20+16)[25]
    Perception (1d20+12)[31]
    Survival (1d20+4)[13]

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Walthus has also heard the scream and is now alert. He looks back to the others to find Robin missing. Blasted girl! Where has she gone!? We don't have time for this.... Walthus sighs and decides it's best to keep the group together and fallows Arthur towards the scream.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Robin can tell the scream is human and probably in pain.

18. - Top - End - #108

SwashbucklerGuy

Arthur raises an eyebrow at Walthus' burst of annoyance. Utilizing his telepatic bond with Robin, he points out there direction she is headed. "She went that way," he yawns "Relax."

He follows after Robin, following her telepathic directions and while giving her enough space that how ineptitude at walking quietly does not hinder her approach.

"Robin said it is a human who is screaming. My guess is that we are about to walk in on an ambush in progress." He draws his falchion, motioning for Walthus to be ready as well.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As you catch up with Robin, you realize that you were right about an ambush. It just wasn't the one you were expecting. A ten foot high mound of branches, logs, and reeds lies amid the trees here, nestled in a narrow, muddy clearing. Flies buzz and swarm around the foul-smelling mound of rotting vegetation. Animal bones lay scattered around the entrance. A hairless humanoid lurches on back-bent, dog-like legs, its hideous mouth flanked by tiny arms with three-fingered hands. It towers over a cowering, bleeding man crawling away from it. The beast raises its claw to strike...

Spoiler: initiatives and ooc
    Show
    robin=(1d20+1)[15] Arthur= (1d20+4)[21] Walthus= (1d20+3)[16] Thormund= (1d20+2)[6] Beastie= (1d20+5)[13] so walthus, robin and Arthur get a surprise round. After initiatives go to the following order. The monster is 25 feet away from Arthur's group. Arthur's group is also in rough terrain for 15 feet. Every one roll knowledge dungeoneering dc 12 to identify the monster if you got it.
    Last edited by Srduffman; 2017-08-23 at 10:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

SwashbucklerGuy

"Was not expecting... Whatever that is" Arthur whispers to Walthus. "Move to the right, wait for the creature to engage Robin and the dog before firing.

Robin, stay hidden and flank from the left. Attack when you have a clear line.

He waits approximately one second for the others to move, knowing they would need all of the time possible to get into position, whole the unfortunate needed to be rescued immediately. Letting his imagination wander, Arthur finds the tale of a heroes dog famous for pulling the leg out from under a troll that was about to smash the hero. He focuses his mind and feels his magic grow with the image. Then he throws it forward and another portal opens with a vicious dog jumping out to the right of the creature. The dog barks, a sounds that seems to echo three times over with additional power, and goes for the creature's leg.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arthur HP 10 AC 15
    Robin hp 12 AC 15
    Dog HP 6 AC 13

Arthur standard action summon celestial dog.

Dog
    Free action: smite evil
    Attack (1d20+2)[8]
    Damage (1d4+1)[4] additional+2 if creature is evil
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2017-08-23 at 10:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The dog lunges out of the portal, barking and chomping at the beast. The creature, surprised at the dogs sudden appearance, side steps out of the way and lets out a blood curddling shriek. You now have a solid reference for the noises you've been trying to mimic. The shriek sends chills down your spine and leaves you feeling cold. Walthus moves out of the way and draws his bow ready to fire at Arthur's command.

Spoiler: Walthus
    Show
    move then hold attack waiting for robin. Next round goes: Arthur, robin, Walthus, beast, Thormund. attack(1d20+8)[21] damage (1d6)[1]

22. - Top - End - #112

SwashbucklerGuy

Robin wordlessly follows Robin's command and moves around the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    standard action to stealth move at full speed (know half for difficult terrain) to right of ceature. Surprise rounds you can only do a standard, so she will stay hidden for this.

Stealth (1d20+6)[19] -10 penalty for moving at full speed

Should get her just out of difficult terrain.

23. - Top - End - #113

SwashbucklerGuy

Arthur makes sure all of the pieces are in position before unleasing their attack. He pulls into his magic once more, finding a chord of bravery to rally his allies in battle. He unleashes the magic once more with an epic shout that travels forward in a powerful spread.

Now! he mentally calls to Robin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arthur HP 11 AC 14
    Robin hp 13 AC 14
    Dog HP 7 AC 12

Arthur standard action: inspire rage and end it
    Move action: move 5 feet forward

Dog
    Standard action Attack (1d20+3)[9]
    Damage (1d4+3)[7] additional+2 if creature is evil

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The dog lunges again and again it misses its target. This creature does not seem to be messing around. Robin scrambles to be free from the tangeled nattles and underbrush. With all allies out of the way Walthus has found an opening, he knocks an arrow, takes a deep inhale and lets his arrow fly. With great precision it hits its mark but the monstrosity hardly seems to notice its been hit at all. The creature lets out another shriek and then begins to breath deeply. Drool dripping off its disgusting mandables into puddles below, its eyes glow red with hate and rage. It almost seems as though it is shaking with anticipation for its next kill. It watches as more and more fresh meat willingly wanders into its territory.

25. - Top - End - #115

SwashbucklerGuy

Following Arthurs telepathic command, Robin charges at the creature, her long nails extend behind her and she leaps forward slashing down on the creature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Robin HP 13 AC13
    Robin full round action charge into flanking with dog
    (1d20+9)[19]
    Damage (1d4+4)[8]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Robin runs around the creature and sinks one of her claws into the creatures side. Blood starts dripping out of the wound and over her hand. The creatures roars in pain, then faces Robin, its sights now fixated on her. Its bottom jaw splits in half revealing teeth and claws. It lunges forward attempting to bite down on her shoulder. Its arms swing violently at her torso.

Spoiler: Beastie
    Show
    fullround attack bite (1d20+5)[7] claw 1 (1d20)[10] claw 2 (1d20)[11] damage bite (1d6+3)[6] plus sinful bite dc will 14 (1d6)[1] =minutes sickened on successful bite and failed will save. claw 1 (1d4+3)[7] claw 2 (1d4+3)[6] 9 damage delt to beastie.

Turning to quickly, the monster is not able to land a single blow on Robin as she ducks and weaves around each anticipated attack.

Spoiler: initiatives
    Show
    turn order. Next Clark. Brad. Walthus. Robin. Beastie
    Last edited by Srduffman; 2017-08-24 at 07:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Seeing the sudden cavalry that has swept in Thormund is much less worried about the beast that decided he would make a good meal. he unsheathes his short sword realizing that explosives would be less than ideal in this situation. He stands next to the hound that sprang up to help him and he fixes his eyes on the monster and lets out a slash for its midsection.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack (1d20+1)[14] Damage (1d6+1)[3]

28. - Top - End - #118

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Good to have you gman! Unchained rogues get weapon finesse at 1st so your attack should be 1 higher, I've got my inspire courage up so if you choose to accept it you'll get a +2str, +2 con -1ac and+1 on will saves.

I guess our damsel can fend for himself, shall we go?

No we should not!
    Arthur winces at Robin's loud and yet silent retort. Fine, he says to himself, let's just make it quick.

He raised his falchion and gives another mighty yell, this one directed straight at the monster and much more menacing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arthur HP 11 AC 14
    Robin hp 13 AC 12
    Dog HP 7 AC 12

Arthur standard action: intimidate (1d20+10)[20]

And then:

Dog
    Standard action Attack (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage (1d4+3)[7] additional+1 if creature is evil
    Last edited by thegoldenfedora; 2017-08-24 at 08:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Valiant efforts from both attacks, but this beast just seems to be to quick on its feet. It dodges the dogs powerful bite, and slips under Thormund's slash. Arthur conjures up the loudest most beastly roar he can and shouts at the beast. It almost seems to freeze in place as if stunned by fear. Walthus takes advantage of this and fires another arrow at its chest.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    arrow atk (1d20+8)[21] damage (1d6)[2]

Again Walthus' aim is true, but again it barely seems to of scratched the creature.

Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    robin. Beast. Clark. Brad. Walthus. Beast has taken 11 damage
    Last edited by Srduffman; 2017-08-24 at 09:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

SwashbucklerGuy

Robin makes use of the creatures pause to unleash her own claws into its side. First one claw strikes low and sweeps across the creatures chest, as it lurches to dodge, she strikes with the second, hoping to find it off balance for the second attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    full round action attack
    Claw 1 (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage (1d4+4)[6]
    Claw 1 (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage (1d4+4)[6]