New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranger sniper

1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Ranger sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Anxe View Post
    I did a sniper build to terrorize my players that you might be able to use. I started him off at 20th level so I'm not sure how the progression would work out.

Ranger 6/Fighter 4/Assassin 10
    Feats are: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Focus (Longbow), Dead Eye, Manyshot, Rapid Shot, Greater Manyshot, Woodland Archer, Able Sniper, Darkstalker

The build uses the Assassin's Hide in Plain Sight ability to always be able to hide. Greater Invisibility would get the job done too, but that's too easily countered by divination magic. While you're unseen you do a Greater Manyshot to plug them full of Sneak Attack arrows as a standard action. Then you use a move action to Hide again. Woodland Archer lets you move between shots in addition to hiding, so your foes can't just attack the square you were in before.
    Able Sniper just makes you a little bit better at hitting and hiding.
    Dead Eye makes STR less necessary.
    Darkstalker makes it more difficult to be detected while hiding.
    The other feats are prerequisites. There's probably room for more feats or you could drop some Fighter levels and go for something else. I included a few other feats that I liked in my own build, but you shouldn't need my guidance on that.

That's the class/feat part of the build. An additional portion of it was equipment. A Returning bow is necessary. Get as big a MAGIC plus on it as you can. Then get some magic arrows. The arrows can be just +1 then loaded with special abilities. My favorite was Magebane, Suppression, Flaming, Shocking, Acidic, Icy, and Adamantine arrows. Magebane gives you a Bane effect against pretty much everything at high levels. Suppression rips off the buffs that people usually cast on themselves. The rest is just damage stuff. Since the arrows are Returning due to the bow, you don't need to buy a whole bunch. The NPC I made carried 8 of each arrow. 50 of them cost as much as a +8 weapon, but 8 of them only cost as much as a +3 weapon (roughly).

EDIT: Other favorite arrows of mine was a Speed, Clouting arrow to bust down barriers if necessary. I had another few with Great Dislocator on them to quickly remove big threats (they did not work well in practice). After repeated encounters with the sniper my players started countering the sniper by using Iron Body or Shapechanging into Iron Golems. He went and got some Golem Buster arrows. Greater Spellstoring (Rusting Grasp), Shocking, Magebane, and Construct Piercing. A little bit of homebrew on what it could do but it felt reasonable. Basically, the sky's the limit on what type of arrows you get. Each arrow is so cheap on its own you can be ready for any challenge if you have a day or two to custom order some magic arrows.

Also since you wanted to do a sniper (long range) there's an assassin spell that you can cast as a swift action to increase the range you can sneak attack to 60'. Dead Eye and the Favored Enemy bonus from Ranger are also precision damage so it helps a lot.
    What books do I find all these feats in homies

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ranger sniper

Quote Originally Posted by eyeman927 View Post
    What books do I find all these feats in homies
    Dead Eye - Dragon Compendium
    Greater MS - Expanded Psionic Handbook
    Woodland Archer - Races of the Wild
    Able Sniper - Races of the Wild
    Darkstalker - Lords of Madness

Unless I missed something, all other feats should be SRD. Feel free to correct me.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P