New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Rokugan in the Shadows Ch 1: Gathering Dark

Judging the risk of violence being inflicted on him lowered significantly, Snich loosens a slightly rotten goat leg that have been tied to the giant bat and starts tearing into it as if he hasn't eaten in days. He seems to be intent on keeping an eye on everyone, but mostly ends up focused on the goat leg. In between bites he offers more information: "Nat-Cha-Ro is still valuable if captured, much-many rewards await."

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

"If we're going to have some kind of extended discussion we need to find a secure location first..."
    "Do Driderettes buy their legwarmers in bulk?"

3. - Top - End - #663
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin
    Are not just outside of a cave that we have been undisturbed for the last 14 hours? Let's just proceed back inside and have a little chat then decide what to do from there.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2018-06-03 at 08:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

Specimen sighs inaudibly. It looks like lunch is off the table it thought as the others head inside, but its arrival was neither subtle nor random. Sniffing the wind a little, it then makes a small circuit around their hiding area to check and see if their visitor had brought the eyes of others unto their little hiding place.

Spoiler: Search and Observe
    Show
    Not breaking stealth, Specimen will check the immediate surroundings for the presence of others. Listen/Spot/Search (1d20+11)[27]
    Last edited by Ellowryn; 2018-06-02 at 09:04 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started in a Dwarven church of Pelor, now with a moon!

Also, note to self, sacrificing KFC in a small apartment is not a good idea.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The ratling clicks his tongue at the sudden invitation to an obvious ambush: "I-I am not trusting-following the nameless, you-things should speak-squeak your names, monsters are not known for their benevolence-mercy." As he speaks he almost chokes on the longer words as he tries to say them all at once. Never once does he seem to relax more than what in most people would be described as twitchy, eyes roving and hunched over form partially hiding behind the giant bat abomination at all times.

6. - Top - End - #666

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Vermin you are surrounded at the moment so if we were going to ambush you we would do it now as some of us are biting at the bit to rip into some flesh.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Snich looks at Kyorlin unimpressed, his eyes scanning around for the ones 'surrounding' him: "Did you not listen-think? I am CHIEFTAIN Snich. My-my clan-brood is close-close, big-dumb monster-thing. My master sends help-offer, but you spit-refuse it, over an introduction?"

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

"...Proud. Yours is not physical strength; be proud from further away. Slow approach, careful words, meet as equals, build rank: keep this method to live longer among creatures.

I am not known for mercy or Benevolence. My name is earned not given. ...Still, if this mortal is useful you have done us a favor. What do you seek in return?"
    Yhrashnal does not think much of this entire interaction. Looking for the thread that leads to the full tapestry is much more important to him; whether this lesser creature is Voice Called, or possesses some strange skill, or holds exceptional tracking magic, or wields some artifact... or it could be an emissary of some powerful being, or a servant of a Voice Called, or...

"And this clan; tell us more about your clan." Keeping the topic steered carefully might just keep this thing alive until its fate can be decided. Voice Called or not, every little creature with a big mouth need not be trampled and every favor owed need not be repaid; what can be done without sacrifice might just make it easier to find worthy prey and obtain good practice.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

Specimen

The Kython cannot see too far, but a wind wafts lazily into the hills upon the evening breeze, and Specimen catches the scent of oil and wood; this time, it is less urgent than in the city, but the kython can imagine humans out there, and it can imagine the sweat upon their bodies as they stand in watch. Before it can bask in the delectable yet intangible scent of human fear, the wind shifts and it smells the plants, reeds and fresh water below itself. It smells horse plop, too, just barely, and it seems a little further away, but certainly it's there...

Specimen begins to get a sense of what lays far below, before they reach the city: A river flows near it and there, many humans guard its approach with torches and fires. Nearby but out of sight, the Lord Hida watches for any danger to approach his guards; it is then that he'll strike: from ambush.

The wind swirls into an eddy and Specimen senses little more.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

He is close, and we are not ready for him! Specimen thinks while suppressing a rising fury.

Turning to the rat, it creeps forward until it is right behind the pair. Leaning in close to its right ear it then hisses Yes, Surrounded while dropping its Invisibility. Ignoring any sort of reaction (unless the rat and/or bat attacks it) Specimen turns to the group. Our pursuer is close, near the river on the way to the city, It points in the direction the smell came from, They wait for us. While they prepare we should leave.

Pointing at the newcomers Decide if they are food or ally's quickly before their scouts find us.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Reacting to the sudden appearance of Specimen, Snich instantly starts moving and is on the other side of Skree with his bow raised almost before anyone has finished blinking, the smell of fear and panic wafting from him.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade watches the two square off and snaps, "We don't have time for this! We need to find a route that's not covered by those people and get moving fast."

13. - Top - End - #673

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Chuckles, shaking his head. Creature, let me know if you want me to cloak him in darkness, thought about cloaking you in darkness but then he would be able to shoot at you even when you disappear having set his soulmeld for what he predicted he would need this day, twisting ivy in sky-blue weaves into his mane reaching to his shoulders which now sported dragon like hide resembling wings. Lastly a material more shadow than cloth wraps around his waist.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thinking and keeping his twitching to almost human levels Snich finally reaches a decision and shakes his head: "I-I have given-delivered the warning-message, will return, but allies-friends are scarce, think much-much until next time, yes-yes? If accept Snich's friendship-alliance, prepare container for much-many water. Talk to patron for trust, yes-yes."
    He quickly starts scampering up into the harness of the bat-abomination he rode in on, bow still held in one hand, looking unhappily between the monsters he failed to reach with diplomacy: "Hide-scurry well, eat much-many foes. No die, would be bad." He manages to sound almost concerned for the health of his new acquaintances.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

This is probably the best possible outcome of this situation; no bridges were burnt and no great power was offended.

"Good enough." Yhrashnal states and then, without hesitation, he puts the matter out of his mind for the time being. Instead he addresses the injured Voice Called residing within the cave, "My power is solid. More so than before. If we must fight while running..." He does not complete the thought. There is no need to do so; any answer to any form of this question should tell him more than enough.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Specimen shrugs, what matters is that they get moving. It moves after the former-wolfmanthing while occasionally turning to "look" at the new recruit and the free meal it is riding while licking its lips. It has been a while and Specimen is getting hungry.

17. - Top - End - #677

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Notices the creature licking it's maw Sorry beast, I mean no offense reaches into his handy haversack and pulls out day old (ooc or has it been a week?) lump of cardiac tissue Here creature you need this more than me. getting back up turns towards Jade Jade I have prepared myself to be on the frontlines so don't concern yourself of my presence amongst our enemies.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Troll in the Playground

As the flying Snich beats away on its night-laden bat, Specimen follows its trail. The going is not easy--it is through brush and thick vegetation--but the path does lead downwards from the mountain and towards what seems to be a North-flowing river.

more

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

Your travels over hill and dale lead you to steeper and steeper slopes. As Snich flies overhead in a lazy gait, his flight path gradually turns around and you find yourselves facing due South.

Ahead of you, to the right, you see another larger river joining the one before you. The widened river, pooling and ready, leads you to note several ships and, interestingly enough the edge of town. Closest to town, two score guards attend a large and lavish two-sail boat that's obviously for those of noble bearing. Although the lighting is only by torchlight, you can see that there are a plethora of wide-eyed and spooked-looking villagers patrolling the perimeters of the town. Figures rush from town onto the single pier, mostly loading the large two-sail craft. There are other boat options, however.

Further along the dock there are several smaller craft, from three two-person dinghys to a few longboats and even a ten-person fishing trawler. They aren't well-attended currently, as it's the evening, and it seems the guards have been pulled from the docks themselves and are talking among each other at the royal yacht.

more

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ogre in the Playground

"I know this question has been asked before, but since we now have a new friend..." Jade looks up at Snich "I wonder if he knows anything about boats. Because there appear to be some for the taking. Assuming this river leads anywhere we want to go."

21. - Top - End - #681

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

I have heard of a soulmeld that helps with navigating a ship but alas my people didn't teach it to me.

Kyorlin begins to wonder if this mission is getting to difficult for their association, himself included.

Back to business, human teach me how to make a new soulmeld and I'll make your death quick.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Troll in the Playground

The human looks at the others before him and replies with, "Promise me you won't kill me until I'm satisfied you've learned enough about the Incarnum arts and I won't scream and alert the people of the town."

more

23. - Top - End - #683

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

And what if your a bad teacher, I have been taught by high priestess of my House and they don't know anyway to create new soulmelds. Let me ask you one more question,do you want to live or die, in your condition I jumped to the conclusion you may want all the pain to end.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Troll in the Playground

The man quiets himself and looks down. "O-of course I want to live." It looks as if he wants to speak more but he holds himself back. Then, quietly and controlled, he says, "If I am not a good teacher, then I expect you would kill me most horribly. But perhaps a demonstration of my skills is in order? You wish to capture a ship, but you are all..." he looks between them and continues, "Held back by some fear of the Rokugani? Burned once too many times?"
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2018-06-18 at 11:04 AM.

more

25. - Top - End - #685
    Troll in the Playground

"I do not oppose hearing your screams, mortal. It makes flesh more savory.

Call me back for dinner whenever you want."
    Yhrashnal lupine form is off on the prowl once more. Whether by conscious action or mere accident he drifts somewhat toward the direction of Specimen's scent; after all he is unwilling to let the little creature wander without his protection but not quite interested in being a nanny, either to it or the other Voice Called.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Troll in the Playground

Post Re: Rokugan in the Shadows Ch 1: Gathering Dark

As the discussion drags on, you all have an opportunity to re-examine the docks. The large and royal boat is actually on the far side of cliffs from the town above. Four thick ropes with a complicated winch-system above lower what seems to be boxes of supplies and goods. A winding staircase from the town above also connects both the far pier and the the pier closest to your vantage (and foliage cover). One ship, a small fishing trawler, moves closer to the town as a third boat docks with the pier close to you. The man on board has white-and-grey specked hair and wears orange garments, which causes the three peasants on the fishing trawler to ponder who he is under their breath.

Spoiler: If you care to listen in to the FISHERMEN, DC 12 Listen
    Show

##A high noble! He outranks the Regent Hida!##
    One man, clearly the youngest, starts. "Huh? How do you know?"
    <<Look how his kanshi tozoku. That means he's on official government business.>>
    "Tozoku?"
    <<Yes. See the hakama, his robe?>> The younger fisherman nods. <<Notice the happi, normally just a nobleman's sleeveless jacket, is actually laced with the hakama, there and there with silver-laced ties. It marks him as an investigator. So his evening, or kanshi robe will be worn until his task is complete.
    ##Aah, and see the orange hues? They're not the brightest I've seen, but he has status and rank.##
    "But this is a small merchant village! Why would he be here?"
    <#<# Who knows? >#># the other two chorus.
    The three of fisherman busy themselves with their catch and soon bring what seems like crab traps into town.
    --
    Closer to you a man, a merchant, it seems, from the second ship close by waves to him. "Lord Kodai!"
    The orange-robed noble smiles patiently, and returns the gesture. "Ah, master Yoma. How fortunate you're here. Would you care to join me as I make my way to town?"
    The merchant frowns and says, "I-well, of course."
    Four stern-looking samurai in evening clothes exit the boat with the Lord Kodai. They are trailed in turn by their manservants carrying parcels that likely contain their armor. The lord nods to the Samurai, who seem to glide forward rather than walk and make it to the steps sooner than one might expect, trailed by their servants, who then begin to climb the steps while the samurai stay behind.

The merchant makes his way to the ship as the older gentleman stands. Out of the ship's cabin, a middle-aged servant in functional robes exits and bows to the captain of the ship and his two mates. The man then hefts two parcels and what looks like a leather folder, and nods to the orange-robed Lord Kodai.

"What brings you this far from the Imperial throne?"

"Several incidents of interest, actually. The first incident...well, we'll deal with it soon enough. I'm also investigating the suspicious disappearance of a merchant family." The older nobleman pauses and seems to lose some energy.

The merchant nods knowlingly and they pause in their walk "You have my interest. Do tell."

"Well, it involved a...hmm...business acquisition that went poorly. The merchants were close to our family, you see, and there are tales of a horrible incident with their daughter."

The merchant pales. "I--hope you're not serious. That would--"

"A wealthy merchant family disappears. Rumors say they are jailed. Their daughter goes missing. Is your brother here?" The nobleman, who had seemed friendly and warm, now seems cold.

the merchant straightens, almost as if he faces a sword at his neck. "You...will have to talk with my brother."

"I hope you understand that your boat must be confiscated. If you flee, you will be judged as an accomplice to his...alleged transgressions."

The orange-robed man moves on, slowly but surely, as four soldiers from the nobles' boat, who had seen his arrival, bring a simple litter.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2018-06-21 at 08:29 PM.

more

27. - Top - End - #687

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin (hearing nothing about that conversation)

How are you going to get a boat? Are you sailor, or are going to use that soulmeld- I didn't think one of your kind would have access to it.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Troll in the Playground

Yrashnal and Specimen watch the goings-about on the docks for a bit.

Nearest them, there's a bit of unloading that's going on from the boat that had brought Lord Kodai. Under direction of their captain, four sailors unload cargo from the ship, and then the five of them bring the supplies to the steps. The saumrai's retainers are still climbing the steep cliffs but are nearly to the area above. For now, the boat appears moored and secure. The ship is good-sized, and likely had enough space for the twelve

Further up the pier, the merchant's vessel, also tied off, seems like a (less accomodating) but still spacious trawler, meant for carrying supplies. Currently it's half-full of barrels and crates, but there's no one on the deck of the boat that you can see.

Closest to the steps, the fishermen have come back from unloading their crab pots (or more likely handed them off to townspeople for payment) and are just now returning to their small 2-man trawler. One of them bends over to the pier as they return to the boat and hefts what seems like a 14-foot bamboo pole. He uses it to guide their boat and they shove off.

--
    How are you going to get a boat? Are you sailor, or are going to use that soulmeld- I didn't think one of your kind would have access to it.
    "Honestly..." the man looks over the four of you and says "I think the four of you are more than capable of seizing a ship, and wouldn't need my help. Look~ Where we are now is only about thirty feet away from the dock. If any of you can swim, I bet they could guide it from the pier and over to where the others are waiting.

As for shaping Incarnum, I can give you instructions. It may take months or even years of work to do--it did for me--but from what I know of Drow, they are often well-gifted in the magical arts and you might even learn very quickly. Would you like to give it a try now?"

more

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade is trying to listen in on the conversation at the docks, but can't quite make it out. She turns back to the group as the talk about boats continues.

"I can swim, and I could move a small boat, at least for a short distance..."

When the subject turns back to Incarnum she moves away from the others and returns her focus to the action at the docks. The story she overhears sends a chill down her... well, where her spine used to be. Could they be talking about... but her story, at least the part before the end of her human life, is far from unique.
    Last edited by Swami Monsoon; 2018-06-22 at 12:24 AM.

30. - Top - End - #690

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Obviously we can take a boat, we have actually earlier but the fear of being lost at sea, not knowing how to steer or navigate the currents, and a dark prophecy lead us away from that route. Here I guess the problem would be wrecking the boat or being sitting rothes while they rain arrows upon us.