New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Rokugan in the Shadows Ch 1: Gathering Dark

Kyorlin

Seeing the difficulty of approaching from this side either by land or sea, looks for an alternative path that is safer. Even if this means back tracking all the way back from which he exited the building in the beginning of this quest.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2018-12-20 at 09:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei ~ 2h30

Donovan is able to make his way back to the Dignitary Quarters and down a cobbled ramp. In front of him lies an impressive barracks, a hundred-foot-long building, the same length of the Dignitary quarters, but with a fortress-like appearance and three stories tall. Donovan sees a few spots near the barracks' entrance that are just a tad bit cleaner than others, likely where guards would stand...except in such a long and wet storm. For now, it is closed and it seems unlikely he would get inside without being noticed.

To his left, he sees the jagged rocks and swampy banks of the bay, and the walls of the inner-area that obscure his view of the rest (except for the vague shapes of Tenshukaku, the castle, and the lighthouse). It he looks right, he can see more broken ground that leads into the unforbidding wilderness and the furious spray of water and the bay. Should he walk further, he will see only the stone and mortar that form the wind-wall for the pier, and upon closer inspection, a more grisly reality to this back-alley area of the city.

Donovan sees a number of chains and manacles upon the wall behind the pier. A residue of rust and blood, not even washed away by the heavy rain, lies here, as a grisly reminder that even the often spilt blood of humans can make marks that nature itself must take great time to wash away.

There are other walls, too, that obscure the rest of the city, but without a need or strong desire to climb or scale walls, Donovan remains ignorant of the rest of the capitol city.
    Kyorlin joins Donovan as they explore the wall of what's likely the Inner city. Neither wall is terribly high--fifteen feet at most--but how to scale the other side?
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

3. - Top - End - #933

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Well fellow void call my name is Kyorlin, I study edge magic and a graduate of soul magic and hail from the underdark welcome to the group.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2018-12-21 at 10:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan eyes the wall. Even if he were able to climb it, there would be little chance of moving a body back over it. Breaking through the wall would be just as difficult or moreso, and very likely to be noticed. Still, it may be worthwhile to make the climb just to examine the other side.

When the voice-called 'elf' speaks to him Donovan replies inattentively, his focus still upon the wall.

"Appreciated..."
    his words carry a slight watery gurgle, as though he were afflicted with pneumonia.
    He takes a moment to clear his lungs of water, and his voice sounds more cleanly afterwards.
    "Jade told me of you; I am Donovan."

Kyorlin may notice that Donovan's gloves, mismatched with the rest of his weather-worn attire, are the same that Jade had previously owned.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2018-12-21 at 01:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #935

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

You spoke with Jade, when?where did she go?

6. - Top - End - #936

ElfMonkGuy

"She departed shortly after we arrived, to seek her vengeance."

Donovan turns his gaze to the turbulent but mesmerizing churn of the harbor waters. With both now in view, it becomes clear that Donovan's slow, subtle sailor's sway has still remained perfectly in time with the harbor waves ever since he'd left the Mantis warship.

"I suggested that she should stay. She seemed too intent upon the wrongs done to her..."
    "The sea is her blood as it is my soul, and its temper does not impede her. She is far gone by now."
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2018-12-21 at 01:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #937

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Hearing this his form ripples, straining against his armor suddenly turns ahead of Donovan facing him. Did you get the healing kit?

8. - Top - End - #938

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan shakes his head.

"It was not offered to me."

9. - Top - End - #939

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Disappointment suddenly becomes palatable from Kyorlin posture. Alright I'm going to turn in, have a drink and try to get to this place tomorrow.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2018-12-24 at 06:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

As Kyorlin returns to the room and unstoppers his drink, he notices something is different about the room. It's not that Yrashnal is practicing sword-forms or exploring the powerful boundaries of his essence; these are common. It's something about the room itself.

It's a simple room with plain walls, a mahogany tea table and cushions. There are four very comfortable beds, and beside each is a box-like wardrobe. The bed for Jade has not been made, but there's the kit, and a single piece of parchment lies on top.

Spoiler: The note reads:
    Show

I suspect you all will get more use from the kit a bit more than me. Our recent travels have revealed powers that leave me feeling self-sufficient. Best of luck

~Jade~

----

Donovan can hear the call of the ocean from the other side of the stone barrier. It sounds a little calmer, and if he listens just ever so intently, he can hear the sounds of bobbing boats far below and to the East.

Spoiler: Passive Perception
    Show

Spot: (1d20+8)[11]

more

11. - Top - End - #941

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Places the kit into his haversack, sighs and trances for night thinking of ways to get to that temple along with gathering gossip about who is corrupt.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2018-12-25 at 06:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #942

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan searches about for a point of easy and discrete (in the dark of night, at least) traversal to and from the waters of the harbor, wishing to familiarize himself with the sea's floor here and see if he can locate any unusual underwater caverns or oddities. The stormy waters should not prove especially hazardous to him, and instead might serve to make his presence more difficult to detect.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Troll in the Playground

The salt of the sea holds great power over the Drowned Man, and he turns not towards the walls but towards the great bay before him. Although the waves above do toss about, they are not in great turmoil; Much of this is the wind's doing, not the water itself. Although he can see the dark shape of the great Tenshukaku before him and a little to his right, the details are impossible in the cold and dark gloom. The water calls to him, as if it wants to show him a secret, and Donovan finds himself slipping into its depths near the Inner Wall. Donvan swims downwards; after all, the water holds little danger to him, and soon, inside the lightless waters, he plumbs the depths of the city's oceanbound secrets.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot checks: Bonus @ 16, 24, 28
    (1d20+8)[19]
    (1d20+8)[27]
    (1d20+8)[23]

Search Checks: Info @ 19, 23, 27
    (1d20+8)[24]
    (1d20+8)[19]
    (1d20+8)[18]
    (+2 per successful Spot check); 4+24 passes all DCs here.

Donvan roams around under the water, and after a good deal of searching through the debris on the floor--mostly junk--he feels a pull of water near the shore-rocks. Judging by the flow of the tide into a natural and winding cave on the shore-face, it most likely leads to the other side of the jutting peninsula. His second discovery comes as he makes his way back towards the inland-peninsula of Tenshukaku. The massive boulders among the island's base obscure a great number of secrets and he spots a nearly imperceptible token of human design; some of the boulders, although worn through their time in water, have clearly been magically-shaped and bear the unnatural residue of stress-marks of magic upon their forms.

Donovan follows his way into what appears to be a secret passageway, and at the end of the passageway he encounters a stone door whose closure is blocked by a rock that's lodged into the door's bottom. It continues in underwater passageways and he notices--just in time--some seaweed strands that suddenly disintegrate by invisible walls. With all the time in the world, he manages to return to the ocean and pry loose many strands of seaweed. He navigates the (extensive) labyrinth of invisible and underwater traps, and finally reaches a ramp that leads into a magnificent cove.
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2018-12-30 at 11:13 PM.

more

14. - Top - End - #944
    Troll in the Playground

Kyuden Gotei - Dignitary Quarters

Donovan returns much later than Kyorlin, as the storms breaks and birds and insects begin their songs before sunrise. He does not have too long to wait before Kyorlin completes his trance and Yrashnal rouses from his rest.

A light rain still mists the island, but the furious winds, pouring rain and lightnings of the night have all lifted and moved on. The sun has barely risen, but the air carries the promise of a very new beginning.

more

15. - Top - End - #945

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Wakes from his reprieve, begins meditating on his maneuvers for today and how they will help his next goal getting to the temple of fire and thunder.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Troll in the Playground

Answers come to his head unbidden: swiftness, stealth, deception.

more

17. - Top - End - #947
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal rises and samples the air of a new day; his very being is a vast array of tools and, now that he has had time to study himself, he simply needs to find the opportunities waiting for him.

What he detects immediately is salt and sea and the froth of waves and the smell of the heavens brought low by storm. These things linger upon his subordinates and Yhrashnal spares a moment to ask them "Why do both of you smell of the storm?" The smell has been refreshed on the undead, easing his burden of dealing with the stenches natural to it, but that is nothing especially new. The Drow-Fiend, on the other hand, rarely braves more than a spray of salt. That it shares the odor of the storm is strange; granted it is lacking the full palate of scents the undead is coated in, but even just this much is suspicious.

18. - Top - End - #948

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

I'm sure I smell the same amount of "the storm" since I went and hopped into the sea during during the battle with the shadows. now I wonder what soulmelds to prepare this day, the temple is of fire and thunder maybe soul magics to resist those?

I miss Jade, she didn't do much small talking but I could have a conversation with her. The wet one, Donavan barely talks or can barely talk who is to know. The swordsman, the beast he was once promising but now tries to collect bodies like I once collected souls but bodies are weak compared to souls. I can barely understand his nonsense rattling, the vermin was easier to understand.

19. - Top - End - #949

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan

"Inspected the island..."
    Though he'd remembered to clear his lungs following his time underwater, a slight watery gurgle still accompanies his voice.

"A passage lies beneath the harbor. A hidden way to a cove. Guarded, difficult to access, though not for me. Contained within is a magical trove. Armaments, mostly. There was another entrance which I could not quite see."
    Perhaps the existence of treasure would be enough to convince the others to assist. Donovan ponders on where, roughly, the other entrance should be considering the island's geography.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

Interesting. "What faction guarded that place?

We are within the domain of a Voice Called. We should avoid killing the mortals here...within reason."
    It's a relatively simple matter to trace the social hierarchy of a group through the way certain scents are distributed among them. Bloodlines mark strong connections, shared resting places mark lesser ones, shared dining quarters denote even weaker connections; this continues down the line with the smell of rations, the scent of the land, and so on until, with enough basic information and time, any clever beast could extrapolate who is protecting whom.

Yhrashnal starts to address Kyorlin only to draw a blank: he doesn't actually know what the Drow-Fiend calls itself and addressing it in such a way is certainly not conducive on keeping a secret should this sweet chance turn sour. "You have had the most dealings with the other Called one. We can approach this place and if you recognize that Called One's sign, by scent or mundane markings, we can continue other business. The benefits we can obtain through that Called One are much greater than mere magical trinkets."

It is almost an afterthought, but Yhrashnal then points out, "Or we could ask him directly."

21. - Top - End - #951

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Voiced called? I have perhaps the most dealing with Void called amongst us 3. If you specifically referring to Tun I already asked him for a list of people to avoid killing and he was silent on the topic.

22. - Top - End - #952

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan

The idea that some or all of this island's populace may be off-limits rankles the normally impassive undead. There has been some small benefits to this arrangement thus far, but if it complicated things thusly without equivalent compensation then he did not intend to stand for it for long.

For now, he answers the shapeshifter's question.
    "They were Mantis. Well-trained, I believe. Their patrol routine is intentionally erratic. I nearly decided to end their lives. If there are additional considerations in that then I agree. They need be known."

23. - Top - End - #953

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Well you can check in with him if that is your pleasure, he doesn't like me so I will gather some intelligence on this secret treasure tower. Shall we meet up around mid day to gather our information before proceeding? I have a few things to prepare before I leave with the eta I requested last night.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

There is a brief knock on your door, and an Eta arrives bearing a large tray. The Eta leaves before you can decipher everything on it. It has green tea, warmed rice cooked with eggs, some warm broth reminiscent of the sea, a beautiful lotus flower, and underneath it, a shaped piece of parchment that could have been a doily opens up to a note that reads: "Please join us at Tenshukaku to discuss the recent expedition of the 4th fleet. We will discuss your travels upon your leisure."

more

25. - Top - End - #955

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Takes the tray and sits, scoops a fourth of the white and yellow fluffy mixture into his mouth. Huffing out steam he takes a gulp of the pale green liquid, regaining his composure he sips the broth. He takes the lotus going to need this for later.

Begins mediating on his soulmeld for the day.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

Yhrashnal

This changes things slightly. "I doubt they are interested in a mere eta. Dead one, go propagate your line. Claim as many of the guardsmen as you can; we will have use for bound soldiers them later. I will attend to these mortals. When my matters are finished I will return to finish off whatever forces you could not conquer with your thralls." Yhrashnal doesn't bother with assigning Kyorlin a task, mostly because he has no idea what the creature actually does or how well it does it. He's not especially sure about what the undead is capable of either, but surely the former mortal can claim followers just like those creatures who drink blood or crave human flesh.

Yhrashnal collects the note as Kyorlin takes the lotus and, without paying any further attention to the strange actions of his subordinates, he follows after the servant; if the servant is not leading Yhrashnal to his destination then he will simply make the servant do so.

27. - Top - End - #957

ElfMonkGuy

Donovan

"Becoming as I have is not so simple..."

The haste with which the shapeshifter leaves the room leaves Donovan uncertain that the creature heard him, but the dead man makes no motion to follow. He looks to the elfen creature instead. He seemed less... volatile than the shapeshifter.

"His actions may impel our own. Shall I accompany you?"

In truth Donovan understands little of the present matter, knowing first-hand only of the shadows' attack upon the Mantis fleet, and relying upon what Jade had explained for the rest.
    Last edited by Anachronity; 2019-01-06 at 11:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #958

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

So you are undead, were you mortal of these lands when you were alive and how much do you know of their ways now? If you can help me in fooling them or atleast not let on of your "nature" you may acompany me or do as you wish. If you get caught as likely as the "swordsman" will be I won't hesitate to betray our alliance to survive even If that means I ending you both myself.

There was so much promise in the beast but his mortal roots show through as I believe they are the cheapest slaves to my mortal roots. Comparing them in lifespans would be like a gnat to a bat. Without Jade we can't afford anymore bumbling around like before.

I am off to this Tenshukaku, come or stay out of my way. and with that he heads to this meeting.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-01-06 at 05:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Troll in the Playground

Yrashnal and Kyorlin make their way to the castle-upon-the-rock, a six-storied tower that looks imposing, artful, and oddly comforting all at the same time; it has a blend of reds, pastels, gold gilding and yet it maintains mounted ballista and other functional siege weaponry that peek from their high perches. The meeting hall--on the fifth floor--is no less impressive.

The walls of this massive room are full of exceptional tapestries that would only look fitting in such a large space. They depict various people; archers, kama-wielding warriors, swordmasters, shugenja... workers of great magic, even artisans or people that build ships in massive lumberyards. So great are these tapestries that it's tempting to believe one is really present at the scenes. Inwards from these tapestries are wood-slatted floors, where clearly many duties can happen, and the clever observer might understand that some of these wood slats--perfectly fit--can actually be lifted to further divide the rooms. You need not wait long at all until the walls of the area are slid away to become the Throne Room.

Towards the back-of-center, there is a glorious-looking outcropping, where water flows inwards in a continuous loop over smooth reddish marble and cultivated, small plants, and baby coy swim with other small aquatic life. It is its own miniature ecosystem, and yet if one looks examines the marble, one sees they boast silver and gold flecks; surely if such a marvelous deposit of natural-yet-rich stone was ever seen, it is here. And yet this natural stone work is not the center of the room.

At the center, there are a series of cushions and a table, so the ones sitting can comfortably reach the tea wafting lazily from their ornated, coldsteel cups. A man in voluminous green-and-silver robes sits in meditation, flanked by five fit-looking warriors on each side, ten in total, all of them armored in fine and heavy cloth armor. Although their postures could indicate relaxation, they give off a sense of readiness any creature would sense. Kyorlin recognizes their stances as powerful and dangerous ones, that could allow them to react--and reach--far beyond normal means to attack; a hybrid of a Dancing Blade and Absolute Steel stances.

Before these eleven bow two dignitaries, one you recognize as one of the captains, stays bowed low before the heavily-robed man until he's told to rise. "Great Lord, it is with great sadness we report that the Sea of Shadows has extended itself and consumed most of our fourth fleet." He pauses as if he expects to be interrupted by the stony-faced people before him, and when they do not speak, he stammers to continue, "a-a-and we have th-the grace of, we've been told, several Emerald Legion that prevented the loss of our last warship."

"What of the shadow?" The robed Lord has voice that holds power and space. It cuts away other considerations and possibilities. He speaks, and this is the ONLY consideration needed.

"We...we burnt our other last ship to wound the Gathering Darkness that caught a-aa-and corrupted our ships. Mm-much of the Gathering Darkness that pursued us..." The man catches himself and pauses before continuing, "dissolved once it was cut off."

"Good. Present those of the Emerald Legion."

Although you bear witness to these proceedings, you had been warned not to approach until summoned forward. A tingling in your minds and memories tells you to speak only in High Rokugani, and to avert your eyes from the Great Lord, lest he believe you challenge him and his status.

"Tell me of your experience at Kyuden Hida and your encounter with the Gathering Darkness.

more

30. - Top - End - #960

Lizardfolk

Kyorlin

Takes a half step forward bowing respectfully, in high rokugan My time at Kyuden Hida was spent fighting the undead, I lost 3 allies before killing an Oni called a bone dancer. We escorted the high priestess to her destination, then we sailed to assist the 4th fleet against the sea of darkness.

If you will allow me to recommend a course of action I can offer you my advice for your wise consideration, my great lord.

Unbowing he steps back to where he started. His gaze down though what one can see through his goggles he does not know.
    Last edited by WarHunter; 2019-01-06 at 09:07 AM.