New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1088 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    The gate leads to the temple of Thor, not any fortress. Firmament itself is just a town.
    Firmament is inside the mountain and not accessible from the surface. This door is the temple exit for priests to observe the sky - and the only direct entrance from the surface, which is why it's a strongly fortified point. All the less reason for a banquet hall on the outside of the door.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Why would he not have it maxxed? He's a very devoted Cleric who takes his church's teachings and myths very seriously.
    Somewhere in the first book, he doesn't catch on that Hilyga is a cleric of Loki when she Turns a Fire creature. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0052.html

Why do I have the naggin feeling that with a few more ranks in Knowledge: REligion I'd be a lot more worried about all this.
    He was mid-levels then, so it's possible that he just blew the roll. I had remembered it as him not having maxxed out Knowledge: Religion, much like Belkar neglecting to take any ranks in Survival so that he could actually track things.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Braininthejar2 View Post
    Firmament is inside the mountain and not accessible from the surface. This door is the temple exit for priests to observe the sky - and the only direct entrance from the surface, which is why it's a strongly fortified point. All the less reason for a banquet hall on the outside of the door.
    As far as I know, it is not the door to/from the surface. There is such a door and you can open it with a runestone, but this door is more likely to be somewhere in the mountain.

EDIT:
    Oh, and I think it's unlikely Firmament is not accessible from the surface. They need to leave the mountain from time to time, fighting trees, trading with large folk and so on.
    And I doubt the clerics would like everybody who wishes to acess the surface to move through the tempel first.
    If you have a source saying otherwise, let me know
    Last edited by Rogan; 2017-08-03 at 04:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OOTS? I think the title is supposed to be OOTLORTVNRD. It is what Durkon and Maurice named the team, after all.
    In DnD you find a lot about people. I found out that my friends are willing to let someone die in order to salvage and sell the arrow piercing his chest.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    I forget which spellcasting class had the hardest time, mechanically, getting epic spells online, but it was almost certainly either clerics or sorcerers.
    Bards. You have to take Improved Spell Capacity three times, Heighten Spell, and convince the DM that being able to heighten a spell to 9th level with the 9th-level slot means you meet the "can cast 9th-level arcane spells" requirement for the Epic Spellcasting feat.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks for the well-liked installment. Betcha some of the dwarves Durkon named will show up again.

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Love the view of Durkon's family. A lot of really interesting people and it fleshes out Durkon to be something more than a grumpy healbot, a "support beam", in the HPOH's words.

Durkon is playing the same game he did with Miko back in Azure City -- while he will not lie he is a master of telling less than the full truth. In a way, his lawful upbringing is good practice for him. He can't lie to the vampire, but that's okay because he hasn't been able to lie his whole life. He's a master at misleading through omitted information, I think.
    White Magic
    ( 8-{D} Balding, bespectacled, mustachioed happy bearded guy, usually open mouthed.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Bards. You have to take Improved Spell Capacity three times, Heighten Spell, and convince the DM that being able to heighten a spell to 9th level with the 9th-level slot means you meet the "can cast 9th-level arcane spells" requirement for the Epic Spellcasting feat.
    Not if you go the Sublime Chord route.

And there is a rule in ELH (p. 72) that non-wizards can use their casting stat (WIS or CHA) for spellcraft checks related to epic spellcasting. So the stat by itself isn't the hugest impediment.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Thor's beard, I didn't know Durkon could snark!

Seriously though, has he before the whole Durkula thing?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Thor's beard, I didn't know Durkon could snark!

Seriously though, has he before the whole Durkula thing?
    he certainly seemed sharp with Belkar after the tree thing in the desert.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    And there is a rule in ELH (p. 72) that non-wizards can use their casting stat (WIS or CHA) for spellcraft checks related to epic spellcasting.
    If your DM is using that particular variant rule, sure.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Why would he not have it maxxed? He's a very devoted Cleric who takes his church's teachings and myths very seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbragg View Post
    Somewhere in the first book, he doesn't catch on that Hilyga is a cleric of Loki when she Turns a Fire creature. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0052.html

He was mid-levels then, so it's possible that he just blew the roll. I had remembered it as him not having maxxed out Knowledge: Religion, much like Belkar neglecting to take any ranks in Survival so that he could actually track things.
    In this very book, he didn't remember the Domain Agreement.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Getting to around level 30 is certainly going the distance.
    Even the wind will know agony.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Clearly Haley is the Gangster of Love.

The entire OotS is revealed as the Steve Miller band brought into a D&D world, which may in fact mean the Monster in the Darkness is actually the beast from Hotel California. Belkar stabbed it with his steely knives but couldn't scratch it ...
    I dunno, my theory is that the MITD is Chaotic Neutral, and that entire song is pure evil.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    He's stressing how he's not able to show false memories. But he can show misleading ones (e.g. where he knows that things have changed since the memory happened).
    Or ones where he conceals a better option for the vampire by showing a weaker one that looks appealing instead.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Or maybe Durkon is trying to weaken Greg by constantly exposing it to the most positive memories he can, annoying it until it makes a mistake or something, since it is a negative energy spirit?
    I am A:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lawful Neutral Human Wizard (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 10
    Constitution- 10
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 12

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by liooil2000 View Post
    Or maybe Durkon is trying to weaken Greg by constantly exposing it to the most positive memories he can, annoying it until it makes a mistake or something, since it is a negative energy spirit?
    Unfortunately, it seems like the positivity itself doesn't affect the vampire. However, the vampire learns less from positive memories, it seems, because he doesn't understand positive relationships very well. Durkon learned much earlier in the book that the vampire is not guaranteed to learn what Durkon himself learned from his own memories. He's been slowly using that to his advantage.
    Even the wind will know agony.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by liooil2000 View Post
    "Let us taunt it! It shall become so cross, that it shall make a mistake!"
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Post Re: OOTS #1088 - The Discussion Thread

"Look-out-roy-tha-vampire's-na-really-durkon"
    Alright, burlew. This strip was priceless.
    Just priceless.
    That isn't to say it has no value. I'm saying that it
    Thank you for reading this, and I hope you have a nice day!
    By Shoreward.

Spoiler: My RPG title, somehow.
    Show

{]GNU Terry Pratchett.[}

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, Durkon plainly has some control over which thoughts are revealed to his unwelcome guest, because there have been some manipulations. That implies something's going on with the volunteered information (as it can't be false, apparently). I'm excited to see what!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    In this very book, he didn't remember the Domain Agreement.
    To be fair, he might have remembered it if he wasn't grasping at straw to find a way to stop the vampire due to frustration and fear for his friends, along with him having faith that Thor could help him.

Having a dark spirit parasyting his mind might also not have helped, too. But the memory of said agreement showed up when asked for.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    "Let us taunt it! It shall become so cross, that it shall make a mistake!"
    Like what?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

We found out how big Durkon's family is.

Thank you for answering my question Mr. Burlew!
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Is anyone else getting the feeling that they almost know what Durkon's going for, but then the idea reverts to mist-form and slinks off to the sarcophagus?

Has the comic explicitly stated that Darkon is CE (I seem to remember that being the default alignment for a vampire)? Or Hel, for that matter, though I would guess she's NE? I wonder if that might be part of the issues the vampire spirit is having. The experiences that make a LG person aren't going to make a CE as well. Darkon can't learn Durkon's lessons, and the main one he seems to misunderstand are the ones associated with family. Or I'm just rambling and sleep-deprived.

Side-note: I have no idea whether or not Mr. Burlew had it in his mind or not when he was writing, but the way he handles the relationship between the mortal host and the vampire goes a long way towards explaining why Dracula made so many mistakes in his own family history.
    Last edited by TheBeggarDwarf; 2017-08-03 at 09:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avianmosquito View Post
    Pretty sure the undead can't get drunk.
    With enough motivation i can see one try

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PH7 View Post
    Some people call Roy the space cowboy...
    Or a Shadow cowboy

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I like Durkon explaining in great and sarcastic detail that he can't give false memories, thereby annoying Greg and making him feel foolish, meaning Greg is less likely to pursue the point. All the while, Durkon very carefully avoids actually saying "No, this isn't a trick".
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

In panel 12 Durkon looks less irritated and more concerned that Greg is seeing through him. I agree with others that Durkon is learning how to mislead Greg by calling up specific memories that are "just enough" to satisfy Greg's inquiries while leaving out key points. It looks like he's succeeding.

Gloves is demonstrating a surprising lack of Master worship. I'm hoping she somehow breaks from the team and screws things up by trying to do something her own way.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeggarDwarf View Post
    Is anyone else getting the feeling that they almost know what Durkon's going for, but then the idea reverts to mist-form and slinks off to the sarcophagus?

Has the comic explicitly stated that Darkon is CE (I seem to remember that being the default alignment for a vampire)? Or Hel, for that matter, though I would guess she's NE? I wonder if that might be part of the issues the vampire spirit is having. The experiences that make a LG person aren't going to make a CE as well. Darkon can't learn Durkon's lessons, and the main one he seems to misunderstand are the ones associated with family. Or I'm just rambling and sleep-deprived.

Side-note: I have no idea whether or not Mr. Burlew had it in his mind or not when he was writing, but the way he handles the relationship between the mortal host and the vampire goes a long way towards explaining why Dracula made so many mistakes in his own family history.
    Vampires, being made of negative energy, are always Evil, but the SRD doesn't specify whether they keep the victim's ethical alignment. The Alignment section of their description says "Always Evil (Any.)" but, on the other hand, their intro says "A vampire uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here." So..It's not really clear i'd personally go with yes, but i'm not sure.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2017-08-03 at 10:07 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Vampires, being made of negative energy, are alway Evil, but the SRD doesn't specify whether they keep the victim's ethical alignment. The Alignment section of their description says "Always Evil (Any.) but, on the other hand, their intro says "A vampire uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here." So..It's not really clear i'd personally go with yes, but i'm not sure.
    Thanks. It's been a while since I played with 3.5 vampires, so I was a little hazy and my books are still boxed up.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Czhorat View Post
    Like what?
    Like become a cross, which is not something a vampire wants to do.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.