New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Please critique my new avatar!

Drawn by yours truly in Inkscape.

I wanted it to be a cross between the old and the new OotS styles, with some extra realism thrown in (weapons and armor, mostly).

Please tell me what you can gather from the image, to know if I managed to convey my mental image on such a small scale, and what, if anything, feels off

Thanks!
    Last edited by wkwkwkwk1; 2017-08-04 at 05:13 AM.

Spoiler: Links & GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Please critique my new avatar!

Looks cool, loved the sunset detail.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ooh! Veeeeery nice.

Why do I know that if you did the Black Shingle party like this Avita would be drawn with her mouth open.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus The Vile View Post
    Looks cool, loved the sunset detail.
    Thanks!! I did spend quite a good while on it, the reflection was really hard to get right

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Ooh! Veeeeery nice.

Why do I know that if you did the Black Shingle party like this Avita would be drawn with her mouth open.
    Why, thank you kindly

Maybe I'll do something like that when I get back from holidays, who knows
    Last edited by wkwkwkwk1; 2017-08-04 at 05:22 AM.

Show
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

IT'S ****!

jk, I think it looks pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You're my hero.
    OotS Avatar by Linklele.

Spoiler: When early morn walks forth in sober grey. - William Blake
    Show
    Oft when the summer sleeps among the trees,
    Whispering faint murmurs to the scanty breeze,
    I walk the village round; if at her side
    A youth doth walk in stolen joy and pride,
    I curse my stars in bitter grief and woe,
    That made my love so high and me so low.

O should she e'er prove false, his limbs I'd tear
    And throw all pity on the burning air;
    I'd curse bright fortune for my mixed lot,
    And then I'd die in peace, and be forgot.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I do like it! The lighting and reflection off the water is very well-done, and I love the detail of the shadows on the dock. That is a dock, right? Might possibly be a balcony. Not important. Plus, the orc himself looks very good. The more detailed armor is fitting and appropriate.

I'll give some constructive criticism: The first thing that stands out to me is the dark colors on the docks. It makes it hard to spot where his limbs are. Maybe the wood being made lighter would help. I'm of two minds about adding shadow and lighting to the orc. On one hand, the fact that he doesn't have it makes him stand out even more. on the other hand, he also seems out-of-place a little bit. Maybe experiment with shading, see what looks good, and adding some shine to the armor. Then there's the background. My eye had a hard time focusing on any one thing, and I think what it is is that the sun and background stands out too much. It's too bright and vivid, whereas you want your character and foreground to jump. Blurring the background or desaturating it might make my eye focus on the orc a bit more.

Just some thoughts.
    Dark Souls Remake in a Nutshell
    Don't mess with a Primarch

Sometimes I make avatars too. Shoot me a PM if interested.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemical View Post
    IT'S ****!

jk, I think it looks pretty good.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Ing View Post
    I do like it! The lighting and reflection off the water is very well-done, and I love the detail of the shadows on the dock. That is a dock, right? Might possibly be a balcony. Not important. Plus, the orc himself looks very good. The more detailed armor is fitting and appropriate.

I'll give some constructive criticism: The first thing that stands out to me is the dark colors on the docks. It makes it hard to spot where his limbs are. Maybe the wood being made lighter would help. I'm of two minds about adding shadow and lighting to the orc. On one hand, the fact that he doesn't have it makes him stand out even more. on the other hand, he also seems out-of-place a little bit. Maybe experiment with shading, see what looks good, and adding some shine to the armor. Then there's the background. My eye had a hard time focusing on any one thing, and I think what it is is that the sun and background stands out too much. It's too bright and vivid, whereas you want your character and foreground to jump. Blurring the background or desaturating it might make my eye focus on the orc a bit more.

Just some thoughts.
    Thank you! :D

It's supposed to be a boat... that's precisely why I asked in the OP for people to tell me what it looked like to them Anything that would help make it clearer?

I suppose I could make the wood lighter, yes. I made it darker to highlight the lack of light.

The half-/orc does have shadows, but flat ones. I'll see what I can do about it.

I see, so you mean I should make the background more back, and the foreground more fore?

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Overall it looks pretty good. The background is beautiful!

The half-orc is casting shadows on the deck (just barely visible at the bottom of the image), but he's not casting any shadows on himself, which kind of makes him look photoshopped in. Look at the shadows on Roy, Elan, and V in The Wrong Eye and Haley in "Pyrohydra".

And maybe shift him just a bit in relation to the railing supports, to make his right arm more visible. The "noodle" arms of the newer art style might help with making his arm more visible as well.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Overall it looks pretty good. The background is beautiful!

The half-orc is casting shadows on the deck (just barely visible at the bottom of the image), but he's not casting any shadows on himself, which kind of makes him look photoshopped in. Look at the shadows on Roy, Elan, and V in The Wrong Eye and Haley in "Pyrohydra".

And maybe shift him just a bit in relation to the railing supports, to make his right arm more visible. The "noodle" arms of the newer art style might help with making his arm more visible as well.
    Thanks!!

Oh wow. Those wallpapers are beautiful. I'd only really paid any mind to the older ones (I prefer the older style), but the shadows make it come to life.

As for the thicker arms, no thank you I very much prefer the older style in regards to that. In fact, I think the only things I prefer in the newer style are the shadows and the transparency effects

Show
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I'll echo the comments other people have said in regards to the limbs. It took me a moment to "find" the leg lines and the arm that follows the railing line on the left.

One recommendation is that lines further into the background would benefit from some thinning, to help show that they're further away. It'd make the focus element (which I assume is the orc/half-orc?) feel bolder as well. As well as this, the position of the sun makes it weird to me that there's no dramatic shading on this side of the orc when there is such harsh shading on the background.

The rest of this is solid, though. It's good to see someone trying for armour that's a little more on-point. The scene in general reminds me of those chapters in adventure books where the main character quietly reflects on the story so far. You know, the bit where the main character broods at himself in a reflection before entreating Krom to help him kill his former-lover-turned-evil-emperor in the future, then turning away with a face of grim resolve for the road ahead? That's the feeling I got.

Maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by Shoreward; 2017-08-20 at 09:50 PM.

(Created by me. I should probably put that on there somewhere.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Another thing that might help is shifting the orc closer to the railing, so that the top rail is lower on his body, making the tops of his arms more visible. The more-visible tops of his arms will make the rest of his arms more easy to see as well.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

hey thats real cool! I dig it! I can't wait until i can customize my own avatar!